Toledo, OH
Ottawa Park Share
Uploaded By: ejvogie Hole #12 (Taken 2/2009)
Hole #12 Pro Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Discs from the Hood

2-4    8/10/2014   8/13/2014
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) concrete tees
2) 2 sets of tees
3) elevation changes
4) well placed tees utilize the the trees to create interesting holes
Cons: 1) Not in a great area of town (won't affect course rating)
Other Thoughts: Played this course from the shorts last year 1 time and played it again last weekend in the Michigan Ohio Border Shootout from the longs.

This course is fun. It's somewhat open, but there's plenty of mature trees around to affect your shots. Elevation comes into play on some holes, which is awesome for this area of the state.

The tees are set up in such a way as to create shot shaping to get around the trees. You've got straight, S shots, anhyzer and hyzer shots. There's quite a few mature pine trees that are gorgeous. They're so big that it reminds me of some Northern Cali courses that I've played.

The pro tees are even better than the shorts. If you're looking for challenge, you have to play the longs. If I go back there, I'll play from the longs for sure.

The only complaint I have is that the neighborhood isn't the best around the course. That said though, it's not that bad and it didn't affect my round or my feeling of safety while playing. Maybe just only play with at least 2 people and you've got no worries.

If you're looking for a challenging and fun course to play, this is it for the Toledo area. Worth traveling to if you've never played it. Other people have knocked it for navigation, but I didn't have a problem. Just pay attention and use a course map and you'll be fine.

Typical Toledo area disc golf

2-4    5/3/2014   6/8/2014
Review By: Puckstopper
Pros: Best course in Toledo area (south of the border at least, I haven't' tried any of the courses just into Michigan)

Heavily wooded compared to Carter Park or Woodland Park.

Multiple Concrete tees for each hole.

Easy access from all parts of Toledo

Baskets in decent shape

Multi-use park so there's stuff to keep the kiddies busy while you disc (if you have kids of course)

Strong police presence, which is good, because...
Cons: the neighborhood isn't that bad, but it's not great.

The course is nothing special

Navigation can be challenging.

Several holes play too close to roads for comfort.
Other Thoughts: Ottawa Hills is my least favorite course I've played in Northwest Ohio, even though I've rated it higher than Carter Park. The neighborhood has everything to do with why I won't be back to this course. First off, it really is NOT that bad a neighborhood, but when my other options are in very safe suburbs and more importantly have positive memories for me (Carter Park was where I learned disc golf, and Woodland Park is set up in the park in front of my old elementary school) why take chances with playing a course in a somewhat rough neighborhood that isn't that much better than the competition?

With that said, technically Ottawa Park is the best course between Bowling Green and the Michigan line. It is the most heavily wooded and has multiple tees, which both Woodland and Carter lack. 12 years ago I used to not like Ottawa Park because it was much harder than Carter, and didn't cater to my game. Now I don't care for it because it doesn't compare to the courses I regularly play in Michigan (Deerfield and the Vines) or the courses I play in Columbus (Simsbury, Hoover, and Alum Creek). But comparing Ottawa Park to it's direct competition within a half hour drive of my parents house in Perrysburg it is still the best course Toledo has to offer.

Don't let the people talking about how rough the neighborhood is scare you off from trying the course. I've never been bothered while playing, although there is the occasional character walking by.

Don't do it.

1    5/12/2013   6/12/2013
Review By: Steffner
Pros: You get to tour the ghetto on way to location.
Cons: No listed directions to next hole and baskets were very close so you don't know where you are aiming.
Other Thoughts: Stay away. Drive to Bowling Green course only 30-40 min away.

1    10/9/2012   10/24/2012
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 11/13/2012
Pros: This popular course is in a nice city park with an area devoted to disc golf. There is a large course map and practice basket by hole 1. There are two sets of large concrete tee pads on nearly every hole so the course is great for players of all skill levels. There is a wide variety of hole distances from 163 to nearly 400 feet.

This semi-wooded course has lots of large, mature trees that come into play on nearly every hole as well as some modest elevation changes on a few of the holes.

The available land, trees and features are used very well to create a number of quality holes. There are turnover shots (for RHBH players), a couple low ceilings, multiple routes to the basket and some tight but fair fairways that reward a well executed shot and punish a poor one. Some of the highlights are the hill 9's basket sits on top of, the drop off right of 15's basket, the big downhill shot on hole 16 and a couple great turnover shots.
Cons: My biggest con with this course is navigation and lack of tee signs. There is a large map by hole 1, I strongly suggest you take a picture of it with your phone before you start playing if this is your first time here or you WILL get lost or miss holes.

Only a couple holes have tee signs making it even more difficult to locate the next pad. When they do have tee signs, they're attached to the back corner of the tee pad itself and act as a tripping hazard. Few of the baskets have hole numbers on them so you don't always know if you're throwing at the correct basket.

There are a number of places where I could see two or three tee pads but wasn't sure which was the next hole. After hole 8 it is very easy to skip hole 9 since 10's pad is so much closer than 9's. After hole 14 you walk through the front yard of an old abandoned house to find hole 15's tee hiding on the other side of it.

There are a few places where fairways are too close together, be sure to watch for other people.

A few holes bring the road in play if a shot is poorly executed so watch for cars.

There was a sign by hole 1 saying the course was being evaluated because of litter. I saw a LOT of litter on the course and was happy to pick some up as I played. The problem is I only saw one trash can in the front 9. It was in the middle of 2's fairway and not near any tee pad. By the time I finished hole 6 I had tons more trash and had to walk back to the trash can on 2 since I had yet to find another can. After that I gave up on picking up trash since garbage cans seem to be scarse.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun, challenging course for all skill level of players. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge the course presented from the longs, and the short pads and lack of underbrush make it great for newer or less experienced players.

The course design is solid here and If I was rating the course solely that aspect I would easily be a 3, probably a 3.5. This is a good course and I hope some of the con's are addressed so I can update my review next time I'm passing through Toledo.

Holy Toledo!

1    10/1/2011   10/2/2011
Review By: Foofoohead
Pros: Dual Concrete tees and good baskets.
Very nice park setting.
Large trees throughout the course.
Nice length variation.
Great sign atbthe first tee.
Cons: Some of the tees are short.
Little difficult to follow the first time.
Holes not marked too well.
Can be a busy park.
Some of the stated hole lengths were incorrect.
Other Thoughts: Very nice park setting but can be very busy at times. I really liked the flow of the course. All the very large trees were great and on many holes were directly in play. Very good elevation changes on the back nine. Didn't have any security issues but understand the concern. There was a police cruiser in the park when I played.

Still Trying To Get The Vanilla Taste Out Of My Mouth

1    6/12/2011   9/24/2011
Review By: deBebbler
Pros:
Dual tees have cement pads and the Ams have some fairly different looks at the tee even if the distance is similar. There are also some old tees that still can be used if you are feeling inventive.

Fantastic Trees - The trees here are big and sprawiling. Since there are very few elevation changes here, it is the trees that define the holes here, and the low, fat limbs keep your lines very close to the ground.

Pleasant Park - This park is kind of an "According To Hoyle" city park; it fits the definition without any unique characteristics. Big trees with lots of shade, lush grass, with a urban feel.

Great Access - Easy to find, and great parking make this an easy stop. I was into the park and out of my car in two minutes, and able to find hole one two minutes after that.
Cons:
Lack Of Originality - There aren't any distinguishing facets of these holes. Sure, you are required to use different shots on different holes, but they all feel/look/play quite the same. It made me feel like I was playing the same basket or two, but coming at them from a different direction each time. It wasn't exactly bad, but I imagine I would tire quickly of it.

This could have been remedied by some greater disparity in the length of the holes, but even the distances played much the same.

This course hits all the check boxes of shot selection/ types of fairways/etc, but does it without any sense of flair or character. It is a textbook example of how to do something correctly, and completely fail at the same time.

Ghetto-Fab neighborhood - There weren't any incidents during my round, but plenty of stories were told painting a picture of urban bliss. Not to say that it is a dangerous place, but you aren't getting any kind of seclusion or quiet.
I had course guides helping me (thanks Canis Lupus and Hooked312!), and I'm glad I did, as the lack of next tee signs would have left me scratching my head.

This is a good course to get a DG workout session. You can get in a couple of solo rounds easily in two hours, and work on your game, while keeping your car close if you want to swap out discs.

I hit this course up on the way home from West Virginia, and I stopped because I wanted to meet and play with some DGCRers. This was an acceptable course in a nice park. I imagine I would play it often if I lived in Toledo, but I don't ever plan on returning to play it again. My 2.5 disc rating has much more to do with the good quality of the park than the course itself.

Just writing this review is making me taste the vanilla.

ottowa

5+    8/18/2011   8/19/2011
Review By: Dupaloop3611
Pros: Course has 19 baskets and a practice basket. both am and pro teepads.
Cons: No mulch at baskets. dirt and sand get all over your discs around the baskets. Not in the best area. inconsiderate people are always just walking in front of you on the course.
Other Thoughts: this is my local course and ive played it 100 times. it has a lot of simple easy shots.

Ottawa

1    6/25/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: borisbecker475
Pros: Very nice laid out course.
Option to play Pro or Smokey Safari tees.
Skilled Shots to get around the trees.
Cons: Lots of traffic on the roads right next to the course. Be aware of the cars.
Ghetto on one side of the park!
Other Thoughts: Being a recreational park, there are many other golfers playing at the same time. Make sure to let faster or smaller groups play through (I was in group of 3 and the group of 7 in front of us DIDN'T let us play through!!)

Toledo's finest Park

5+    12/13/2010   3/28/2011
Review By: Nemer06
Pros: It is the best and only dg course in toledo
a wide variety of shots some with some good distance. there is pro tees
Cons: no course map. not enough trash cans.
gets pretty wet
Other Thoughts: This is overall a great course plus you can alaways find the disc man there selling discs for super cheap just look for his Mini-van around hole 19.

open slopes endangered

1    12/4/2010   12/4/2010
Review By: AKormendi
Pros: -Nice tees. Smooth concrete, with only a few having mudholes in front of them.
-Big scenic trees create texture in a mostly open hillside.
-Two tees for every hole, short tees giving a fun beginner game, longs pretty challenging.
-Trash cans around course, though not at tees.
-Good use of elevation changes. Though the hill the course is built on is pretty mild, you feel like there's a lot slope going on.
-It goes up to 19. It's one bigger isn't it? You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 18. You're on 18 here, all the way done, all the way done, you're on 18 on your course. Where can you go from there? Where?

This goes to 19.
Cons: -No signage to guide you around outside of the course map at the first tee. A lot of opportunities to get confused as to which is the next shot. The baskets are a little crammed together at some places, too, exacerbating this. In addition, the painted spokes on the baskets to guide you to the next tee are completely wrong at some spots. If you're used to these clues, be warned. The flow isn't bad if you know your way around, but if we hadn't had guides, there would definitely have been a little backtracking.
-Not a very technical course. Most shots are pretty wide open, giving nearly unlimited options on the lines.
-Crowded. The course is surrounded on all sides by city and roads. Wild armed newbies may run into some trouble, throw carefully. Lots of people out here, too, even in December. This didn't slow playing, but its certainly something to watch out for.
-Trash. Some from disc golfers, others just from the local city folk. But there's a bunch, and it may cause the course to get shut down.
Other Thoughts: This course made for a fun daytrip, combined with some of the other nice courses in the area. While it wasn't super challenging, or packed with amenities, nor the most scenic, it was a very solid course. A lot of opportunities to throw beautiful shots in a new place and watch them fly. The people were very helpful in guiding us around the course, and the path taken was an interesting route around the space. I'm glad to see Toledo citizens have a good training course, and I hope it remains there. There was a sign posted warning that the city was considering closing the park due to litter. While I went through the course I easily filled my side pocket of my bag with litter, twice. I wish I could say the same about our guides. Regardless, it was minimal effort, and made the place a little nicer. Hopefully enough other concerned disc golfers will do the same. Honestly, a lot of the trash did not seem your typical disc golf refuse (alcohol, beverages, cigarette butts, snack wrappers) and I would be dismayed to see the course lost because of the uncaring ways of the local citizenry. It didn't seem too bad a most places, though, so hopefully the sign is having enough effect to save the park.

Also, if you didn't get the Spinal Tap reference in the Pros section: shame on you.

< Prev 1 2 3