Ventura, CA
Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas Share
Uploaded By: chiggins Hole #17
3 / --   3 / --   3 / 212ft.   3 / 311ft. Par / Distance:

a great combo..."Disc and Camp"

2-4    4/19/2010   4/23/2010
Review By: howardb
Pros: Beautiful scenic course set on a huge piece of land with well manicured terrain, bring hiking boots or well soled shoes for this one, elevation changes are awesome on this course with uphill, hyzers to anhyzers, to thumbers to rollers, you will use every shot imaginable as well as a few different discs. Lots of trees come into play as well as shrubs, accuracy is a must have here, as a shanked drive or approach shot will be punished by landing in a shrub or tree. A few holes like #4 has an incredible tunnel shot (mandy) uphill skippable ace run, some air it out holes like #5 and #16 (my favorite) 16 is a hole where you can really take it all in with a beautiful few of lake casitas and its surroundings, I could set-up a chair with some cold ones and watch Dg'ers throw this signature hole all day. 18 holes here of pure beauty..not beginner friendly and I do recommend a spotter on a few of the holes that are blind holes with elevation changes that have no view of the basket, like hole #3 that plays a real low ceiling threw a tree and up and over to a basket resting on the down side. A must see for yourself course, as words cannot even come close to actually being there and playing this beauty.
•Tee pads are all concrete..a plus in my book.
•Tee signs are in excellent condition, best ive seen, Multiple pin positions with flight Path and footage marked for each, all tee signs are marked with a rotatable washer to show which basket to shoot for, A, B, C, D etc..every hole has a sponsor advertisement flyer next to the map..NICE!!! don't see that often. Baskets moved often by a local that runs the "monthly" (every second Saturday of the month) come out and show your skills whether its Pro, Am, or Rec..all skill levels welcome.
•Benches located at all tee pads.
•Some trash cans located as most teepads, could use a few more as I seen some litter spread out on the course.
•Camping available..Tent camping is located right off the course Section "M" for easy access to a few holes..and when nobody is shooting or in the fairway there is a few baskets to empty your bag on from camp. "ace run" …also you can watch and critique other Dg'ers from your site while sipping on a cold one.
•Rv campsites also available for those who like a little more comfort.
•There is a store on your way to the course that carries everything you need for a day on the course, like cold beverages, ice, Cool cups to keep that beverage cold, Hats, visors and even a good variety of discs are available but beware to pay top dollar as they are a little on the high side. Need a souvenir, grab it here.
•Definitely a lot of work went in to creating this course, Dg exclusive. So grab your camping gear and make it a weekend of disc golf.
Cons: Not really a con once you see the course..but a $10.00 park usage fee is accessed at the gate, good for all day use. Drinking fountains would be nice to see scattered through out the course.
Other Thoughts: Get over and play this one!!..it is on my top "10" a must see and play if you are in the area. try to bring a friend or other Dg'ers with you as i think this course will be difficult to play alone.

Bring some good shoes and a Snack

2-4    4/20/2010   4/22/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
This review was updated on 4/29/2010
Pros:
• Beautiful and breathtaking scenery, the best I have ever seen at a disc golf course. It is just postcard city wherever you look
• Excellent variety of angles, some of the best variety at any course I have played. Only about 4 or 5 holes play straight RHBH. There are a number of difficult RHFH/LHBH shots on the course.
• Multiple tee positions (generally 4 per hole) that seem to be changed regularly. There were some really tough positions and some that made holes quite a bit easier.
• Solid, uniform length concrete pads (my favorite!)
• Excellent tee signs with a rotating washer system to show you which basket position you are playing to. Especially helpful on the blind holes (which is more than half of them)
• Extreme Difficulty: Definitely a pro. Playing singles I didn't manage a single birdie in 2 rounds. Playing doubles we managed about 5 in one round. I can see playing this course regularly and it still kicking my butt score-wise. We're not talking 800 foot flat ground holes either. That's for the birds (no pun intended). Every hole is technical and even the 400-500 footers are reachable.
• Camping right on the course, with baskets located right next to campsites M20 through M28. Makes for some great Ace runs.
• Lots of huge trees that force you to shape lines, and some that make extremely creative mandos (Like Hole 3 and Hole 4)
• Benches at practically every tee. I can't remember a single tee that didn't have a bench. This is a huge plus and something that isn't always normal for Socal.
• LOTS of secluded break spots, and you'll need them with the constant walking up and down the hills.
• Bathrooms all over the course
• General store on the way to the course and campgrounds that actually has a decent disc selection, plus they sell camping supplies and all kinds of beverages. They even had beer and ice at reasonable prices. I saw some of the Coyote Classic 2008 discs there at the shop
• Extremely friendly locals who seem to be very proud of their course
• Dedicated DG Exclusive area - I'd like to see those picnickers give it a try on this course!
Cons:
• Water did NOT come into play on any of the holes even though the lake is omnipresent. Looks like Hole 1 and Hole 9 have water when that finger of the lake actually is full of water. Hole 7 also seems like it could come into play with the "D" position
• Could use a few more trashcans
• How about a few drinking fountains? It is at a lake after all...
Lake Casitas is without a doubt the most beautiful and challenging course that I have had the pleasure thus far to play. This course is the definition of the phrase "destination course": it is definitely worth it to travel from afar to come and play this beautiful piece of land. It is situated on a swath of rugged hills and ridges abutted up against the lake, with several holes playing down to or around the water. No swimming in the lake as it is a water reservoir, but apparently boats are OK. Saw a bunch of rowers out there as well.

Make sure that you take some good hiking shoes with you and pants are recommended - there is a bunch of poison oak out there especially in the summertime. This course is a grueling workout and not for casual players. You will need to be in decent shape and if you are not, it will be a struggle to play more than one round. I am kind of a big guy but have a predilection for punishing my body, and was able to play 3 rounds within a 24 hour period. I was sore for 2 days afterward, especially the hips/ankles/legs from the extensive amount of downhill walking.

The plethora of Signature holes is overwhelming but welcomed. Here's my summary of what I thought were the signature holes here:

Hole 16: 570 foot in the long position and ~ 100 ft of elevation change make this a monster "top of the world" shot. On one shot I tried to turnover my Monarch and it hyzered, ending up 400 feet to the left of the hole. With the air time being around 15 seconds minimum, you either need a MEGA hyzer line or a fast turnover shot with a tight tunnel variation. The longest shot we saw on this day was a tight anhyzer with a Destroyer that went 750 feet (woot). Spotter heavily recommended.

Hole 7: Plays out of a small opening in the trees to a basket that is generally around 460 feet away, with a possible long position at 585. This one plays right down to the water and boasts some of the most beautiful waterside scenery on the course. Tricky anhyzer to fade angle that hardly anyone got right the entire time we were there. Spotter heavily recommended.

Hole 4: Tough uphill shot through a tree mandy window. Plays at about 150 feet but is a tough angle to meet. The tree forces a drastic anhyzer line for RHBH players.

Hole 13: Wow. Just wow. Got my first 6 in almost a year on this hole, then followed that up with a 7. Felt like I was 10 and playing miniature golf again. Narrow tunnel shot leading up to a 12 foot limestone wall, with the basket tucked into a grove of trees on top of the hill and about 80 feet back. Without a doubt the toughest hole on the course.

This course is highly recommended, but not for the casual player. You'll need to plan a day around it if you want to play more than a round. Camping is really the best option here. Play a round or two one day, rest and eat (you'll need it) and then play more the next day. I dreaded looking up at the walk from the 15 basket to the Hole 16 Tee on my 3rd round, but once I got there and caught my breath for 2 minutes it was worth the trek. Watch your footing here! I stepped in the Hole on 8 and received a minor ankle sprain. I still was able to play 1.5 more rounds though. I'm a masochist, what can I say?

I can't find a single noticeable con with this course and am thus rating it a full 5 discs. This course is the best I have seen to this date, although I have played only in California, it seems even out of state players who visit this course have similar sentiments. It is unlike anything you will ever play. Truly a unique experience. If you like elevation change (this is a key for a high rating with me) then you will greatly enjoy this course.

Don't miss this one if you are in the L.A. / Ventura / Santa Barbara area. I came from Orange County and it was WELL worth the trip. I can't wait to go back. From what I hear the Coyote Classic is one of the best tournaments out there, I'm sure it is worth checking out if you are a competitive player. Remember: Good shoes, lots of fluids, and some food to keep you going. You'll burn it off quick.

*pant* *pant*...WOW.

2-4    4/20/2010   4/22/2010
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Slick, very clear (photographic) tee signs.
-Course design. Where do I begin? The land upon which the Casitas DG course is situated is a course designer's dream. Lots of drastic elevation loss and gain and all used marvelously. Zero cheap holes. Add thick (often manipulated) oak trees and other vegetation for some REALLY nice holes.
-More signature holes than one can shake a stick at. I got up to shoot one hole and thought "wow. Finally an easy one that I can just hyzer it over the top." Nope. Hell-mando requiring you throw UNDER an arching branch over the path, uphill. Then there is hole nine, shooting about 350' over a (dry) finger of the lake and then up a steep hill to a basket protected by a grove of trees. Or hole sixteen. Oh holy hole sixteen. My top top-of-the-world hole in DG. In the deep location it's 570' and about 80' drop in elevation to a basket tucked away in some shrubs.
-Plenty of bathrooms strewn about the course.
-Camping adjacent to the course.
-Camp store has a (pretty expensive) disc selection.
-Large cement tees
-Baskets are top-notch. Each pin has a flag on top, which I found invaluable for gauging the trade winds that kick up off the lake in the afternoons. I understand some hippy changes the pin locations weekly.;)
-Alcohol friendly.
-DG exclusive
-Tons of wildlife and super clean, fresh air.
Cons: -$10/day or $25/night for camping. A little bit steep, but this is a destination course. Pile in the posse and split it!
-Grueling workout. Bring lots of water and beer and plan on recharging the old batteries in between rounds (it's nice that the course layout hits the parking lot after nine. Park there and pack less when you start out). I've ran marathons that burn fewer calories than 45 holes at Casitas.
-Plenty of places to lose plastic. The combo of quite a few blind baskets and thick brush mean spotters are a must. Consequently, between lost discs and the rough terrain, rounds at Casitas typically take much longer than rounds anywhere else I have played. Not really a con...just something to plan for.:)
-Few trashcans on the course. Quite a few beer cans strewn about.
Other Thoughts: My oh my I don't know how Casitas has gone under my radar for so long. Just returned from a two day camp out with a few friends and could not be more impressed. We were told by someone in-the-know what camp site to request. We get there and there's a SWEET little 220' shot out and down across a valley. We all emptied our bag on it over and over again. SUCH a great way to pass the time, enjoy a brew and the stunning natural beauty of the Casitas recreation area. Camp when you come to play Casitas. You'll thank me.

Make sure you're in shape. I could see this course breaking a lot of disc golfers who are used to primarily flat disc golf courses.

That said, the elevation swings are what make this course. No boring, straight uphill holes here. Every line must be shaped well to have a shot at getting par on each hole. Few courses feel better to birdie at.

This is not the course to bring your girlfriend who is just learning. Or your kids who like to fart around, tagging along while you shoot a round. This is no place for beginners who don't have a grasp on how to shape lines.

This is a destination for HARDCORE disc golfers ONLY. Frustrating, exhausting and robust.

...And as sexy as disc golf courses get. :)

Challenging Course/More Challenging Terrain!

1    4/2/2010   4/7/2010
This review was updated on 4/16/2012
Pros: To start with, this is just a wonderful piece of ground to have a course. The views are lovely with the lake alway present in the near distance. Epic "Top of The World" holes especially # 16, 508' staight downhill. There is elevation to contend with on almost every hole. Like mentioned before, even the shorter, so called easier holes, all have some element which adds to the degree of difficulty. This happens in the form of low lying branches which you must throw under, extreme elevation gain or loss, or right or left turns or in one case, nothing more than a long, straight, extremely tight tunnel type shot. I feel, while the course is a challenge for sure, the more challenging aspect was the grueling terrain. I was dog tired with about 5 holes to go. Playing two or three tournament rounds here in one day would be a grueling event physically. The signs are excellent with 3-4 basket placements for each hole. They are indicated on the signs with a washer with A, B, C, or D on it. Unfortunately, one or two washers were dialed to the wrong letter leaving me and my spotter wife slightly confused at times. My hats off to the designers of Coyote Point. I haven't played many courses where I was more impressed with the course variety and overall, general flow and ebb of the course.
Cons: I think of the general up and down terrain as a Con as well as a Pro. When you pay $10 to get into the park, I think most players would like to play multiple rounds. I played on an extremely comfortable day, temperature wise, and I would have needed some lag time to regroup before challenging it again. It's not a course one could play alone. Spotters are most helpful. It certainly isn't somewhere to teach someone the game.
Other Thoughts: This is a destination course! It's absolutely one of the best designs that I've encountered. It's a tremendous challenge, both to your disc golf abilities as well as your physical stamina. Bring water! Bring your power drink! Bring a lunch for between your rounds! Play in a group to help so you have some spotters. I would feel pretty confident stating that this is one of California's top courses.

Solid Course

2-4    4/3/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: prosmotter
Pros: This course has a wide variety of obstacles. There is a ton of elevation change, so you gotta have up and down hill shots. Also have to be prepared for a trek. (not a stroll through the park) I am a mediocre player and i found the course to be very satisfying. I think it would be enjoyable for all skill levels.

This is a very scenic course located near a lake. Perfect if your trying to make a camping trip out of it, seeing as it is located on a campground. Also a good combination of technical shots and some long shots.Signs and flags on baskets for every hole, making it easy to follow. Also not very crowded.
Overall, i found this course to be very amusing, while somewhat challenging.
Cons: The course can get windy and has a few blind pin locations. Also its somewhat easy to loose discs if your not paying attention. There is brush covering a lot of the course which can swallow discs.

Ventura Bliss

5+    1/29/2010   2/2/2010
Review By: JHern
This review was updated on 8/1/2010
Pros: Lake Casitas is Ventura's water reservoir, and is tucked back in the picturesque hills and mountains that rise to the north from the coast. The landscape offers big hillsides and deep valleys (at least several hundred feet of elevation change over the entire course), along with spectacular views of the surrounding region. Plant life exhibits the typical SoCal variety, from beautiful shade trees, to ice plants, to salad weeds, to mowed grass, to chaparral, some mesquite-like shrubbery, etc..

This is the best maintained and equipped 18 hole course I've played thus far. There are up to four basket locations at every hole, and all are well-marked and sighted. Nice picnic tables are situated at every tee (and bonus picnic spots can be found elsewhere around the course). Clean bathrooms are available, and even hot coin-operated showers near tee 15. The tee signs are fantastic: each displays a photograph looking from the tee down the fairway, and lines/arrows are drawn on top of the photos to show the various basket locations and distances. There is no way that you can mistake the position of the basket, even on the first play. The course flow is also very nice, with few long walks between tees (8-9 is probably the longest and most awkward, but the placement of 9 makes it worth it), a front and back 9 loop coming back to the parking area, etc..

Like all truly great courses, there are tight steep downhill throws (hole 5), big downhill tosses (hole 16), medium to long fairways over gently down-sloping terrain (holes 6, 7), medium to long fairways over gently up-sloping terrain (hole 8,12), blind throws (hole 3), holes over (sometimes water hazarded) valleys (hole 1,9), holes into tight corridors or gaps (holes 9,10,11,13,14,17), big uphill shots/climbs (hole 15,18). But I was very impressed with the creativity of the holes at this course. Several holes (e.g., 4 and 10) are very short, but have added challenges. For example, hole 4 is only 150' or so up a bumpy hillside, but it is a right-turning fairway that ducks under a mando low-arching tree branch of a shade tree whose flank is guarded by a 2' tall fierce-looking wooden warrior statue. (I also enjoyed the palm frond art displayed on hole 13.) Hole 15 is probably the most difficult by my assessment, with a grueling, 300'-ish feet slight uphill and then 100'-ish+ feet up a very steep hill into a nice hillside oasis enveloped by a beautiful tree and a shaded old picnic table where we ate lunch. Some of the holes are also more psychologically challenging, such as 14, where a low-hanging tree branch is just in front of the tee but the hole requires a strong uphill left-turning throw. I have played a large variety of courses, but never have I seen the kind of variety on display at Casitas, especially while maintaining a high level of challenge. These aren't gimmicks, they are genius!

There is a small pro shop and camping supply store on the way to the course, though I didn't buy anything. As far as we could tell, alcohol is permitted in the park.
Cons: No real cons. This is as close to a perfect course as I have ever seen. Reading through some of the previous reviews, it seems some people don't like some of the holes because they are different or challenging, but I see all these as pros, rather than cons.

OK, one nit-pick: the $10 day use fee is a bit steep. But still very well worth it. We camped out overnight, so we didn't pay anything extra beyond just the camping fee itself.
Other Thoughts: This is the very first time I'm rating a course as a 5 out of 5. And I mean it: so far this is my top-rated course, and it exceeded all my expectations in every possible category. Hats off to the Ventura Disc Golf Club and the sponsors for putting together such an amazing course!

Awesome DG course!!

5+    9/20/2009   12/2/2009
Review By: Danger
This review was updated on 4/13/2010
Pros: -Most variety you will find in Southern California.
-Starts off with a BANG! Long downhill throw across a typically dry section of lake.
-Camping literally right next to the course on both sides ("I" and "M")
-Very informative signs at all the tees, and full color score cards available at the beginning of the course.
-There were at least three 'top of the world' tees.
-Basically DG exclusive, had no problems with other people.
-Was not busy.
-It is legal to drink in this park.
-Snack shop providing discs, drinks, food, and camping supplies is about halfway to the course from the entrance. Stop by here before you find the course if you plan on doing so, its a good 5-10 minute drive from the course.
-Flat & Grippy concrete.
-High flags on open pins to make them more visible.
Cons: -Some shots go into some pretty terrible brush that can make disc finding a fun group bonding experience.
-Weeds making their way into the socks became annoying after a while. If it is not too hot, pants are a good idea. Hiking boots too...no joke.
-Snakes!
-Some long walks between baskets and tees, but it is all worth it. Keep a map handy the first round or two.
Other Thoughts: Lake Casitas's course covers a huge area, and contains every kind of hole imaginable. The terrain varies from heavily wooded to wide open, with the ground mostly being dirt and weeds (complete with fox-tails).

The extremely helpful course maps describe in detail what the course provides. Almost none of the holes are really flat; large hills are found throughout the course.

Plan for a round of 18 to take a bit longer than at your usual course. Many cover a good amount of distance, tees are far, and it is inevitable that you or one of your buddies will need to spend some time looking for discs. In one full day, we only had the time/energy for two rounds.

Some of the more unique holes are 3 and 4. Three throws from underneath an oak tree with a low hanging branch, then over a hill, and behind a large tree. 4 is a short uphill shot that throws through a small tunnel like mandatory tree branch (tee sign explains it).

While mostly DG exclusive, Lake Casitas also considers the area a cross country running area, so there are roads and there are occasionally people using them.

Seriously: Tight holes. Epic downhills. Long uphills. Busy areas. Desolate areas. Across the hill. Through a tree. On the side of a hill. Over the hill. A park like hole. Risk/Reward shots. It's all here. And it even loops back the parking lot for 'refills' after 9.

Practice basket is on the hill to the right of the tees. Having this on a slope is great because you probably will not be putting flat very often here, so its appropriate to let you practice for that.

If you are within 100 miles, you owe it to yourself to check this place out. It covers a huge area and is one of two courses in the area that feels 'epic' to me.

Campground Info: We found the best campgrounds for disc golfers are M20-M28; M22, M25, and M28 are the best; and K1-4. The "I" campground is primarily for use by RV's (Little shade, hook-up boxes, and parking spot shaped sites).

Big Disc Golf

5+    11/14/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: ibgollie
Pros: This is one of my favorite disc golf destinations. I love the elevation shots, the variety of holes, the broad spectrum of shots required and the locals. Fantastic scenery, serenity and fun is what Lake Casitas is all about.

One of the best tournaments and tournament courses around is at Coyote Point every year.
Cons: I think the layout is kind of screwball in some spots because I think it was designed with shots and holes in mind not necessarily flow. Also you have to pay to enter the park.
Other Thoughts: Not for the out of shape or non-adventure types. If you like throwing discs off big hills and watching them fly and fly then you'll have fun. If you like throwing through tight windows and up hills then you'll have fun. If you like playing in natural environments with laid back locals then you'll have fun. If you think a DG course requires park-like grass and perfectly manicured greens then you won't like it much.

Great Course!

2-4    8/15/2009   8/16/2009
Review By: Yehosha
Pros: This course has it all. Short, technical holes and long downhills where you can really rip it....some of the most creative holes you will find. Tees and baskets are easy to find since they give you an excellent course map and every tee has a picture of the hole with all possible basket locations and flight paths clearly marked. Every tee has a place to sit, most had picnic benches, if you need to wait on the group ahead of you or just want to relax a bit. Wasn't hard at all to find a friendly local to help out with anything you needed.
Cons: Fee to enter park raised to $15 fee per car. Lots of hiking up and down hills may be considered by some to be a negative, but for a guy not super fit, it wasn't that big of a deal.
Other Thoughts: Very fun course, and worth the drive. Was my first time out and we played the whole course twice and a few of our favorites we played a 3rd time until we ran out of daylight. Met a few of the guys that designed the course and you can tell they really care about making this course the best around, and they've done a great job. This is a MUST play for all CA residents.

First Timers

1    7/19/2009   7/19/2009
Review By: bottoms-upr-ranch
Pros: Seeing as this was the first time for both myself and my husband playing DG we can't find any cons. We had a blast! The first tee off I thought OMG, I can't do this...but after warming up on the first two I thought different. I can only imagine what my arms going to feel like in the morning. =0/ The view of the lake is beautiful and while the course is challenging we didn't find it discouraging. It was great to be able to rest in the shade under oaks to catch your breath after hiking to the next tee off. Can't wait to go back and do 10 to 18. Wind is a factor but you can compensate for it. We played in the AM so I'm sure by the PM it's a whole different disc game. All I can say is we're hooked!
Other Thoughts: Make sure you take plenty of water. It's a real good workout.