Joliet (Lockport), IL

1 2 3 Next >
 Pretty Good Course

1    7/19/2009   7/20/2009
Review By: gsmit
Pros: 1.) Nice Variety of holes. Each hole is a little different. A bunch of dog-leg left & right. A few straight shots. Some real long holes (520 ft.) And still a couple short ones.

2.) Each of the dog-leg holes differ as well. Some have a real quick dog-leg (within the first 50 ft), while others don't turn until 200-300 ft from the tee box.

3.) A nice variety of wooded holes, open holes, and a combination of both.

4.) A fun course that has some challenging holes, as well as some hole you need to be very creative and careful.

5.) Not crowded at all. Very open for a great day of disc golf.
Cons: 1.) The BUGS are ridiculous!!! I read other reviews, and I thought, "Really, how can the bugs be that bad." No joke, the bugs are everywhere, biting you non-stop! You NEED to bring bug-spray or you will not enjoy this course as much as you should!

2.) This course EATS discs! My buddy and I have never lost a disc, but between the 2 of us, we lost 4 yesterday! 2 in the water, 1 in the woods, and 1 in a persons backyard.

3.) Tee-boxes are not very well-maintained. They are gravel, and can be a little unstable.

4.) The course is fairly easy to navigate, but some of the signs are a little misleading on where the chains are. It is very beneficial to walk from the tee-box to locate exactly where the chains are before you throw!
Other Thoughts: - This course can be little difficult to locate. If you click the link for Google Maps, it is exactly where it says on Oak Ave, but there are no signs. There is a little Octagon shaped building out front with another apartment-like building. It is there, right where it is supposed to be.

Overall, I enjoyed playing this course. It wasn't one of my favorites, but because of the level of difficulty and variety of holes, this course has a lot of upside. It kind of left a sour taste in my mouth because I lost 2 of my favorite discs, but a good course overall.

- Hole 1 has water/swamp directly behind and to the side of the chains, so be careful on your drive. It is not a very far drive, so don't bomb your drive. Take a walk to find the chains before you drive here.

-Hole 14 or 15? This is a wooded hole that has a huge (hidden from the tee box) swamp to the left of the tee box. The Chains are up a little hill, with the swamp right behind it. If you over-shoot the hole on your putt, you WILL lose a disc. If you drive RHBH with a stable disc, it is very likely you will fade into the the swamp! Stay to the right of the tee off you drive! Be careful on this hole, we lost 2 discs here in the swamp!

B- = Bit Better Than Average

1    7/15/2009   7/16/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up in my list of 18-hole courses:

1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == B- (Only 3-4 holes will punish you with an extra stroke if you miss your line on your drive. Overall, basket locations are not too creative.)

2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B- (Half the holes are pretty good and rewarding due to shape and obstables, but too many holes that are too short to get a high grade here)

3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B+ (This is the strength of this course. About half the holes force you to shape your shot in a specific way. But too many are too open for my preference. Also, there is no terrain to work with)

4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == B+ (The open fields surrounded with dense woods are beautiful and provide very nice seclusion)

5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

Meh

1    6/15/2009   6/15/2009
Review By: bunk'g
This review was updated on 6/17/2009
Pros: Nice variety of holes. A good mixture of open holes and wooded holes. Water comes into play on a couple. IMO each hole has a tricky, but great pin placement, even the open holes. The maps make the course easy to navigate. The course is very clean.
Cons: The course is very buggy, BRING BUG SPRAY. The woods and vegetation are very thick, discs can be easily lost. Watch out for some poison ivy and oak. The dense woods make for chances of mud. No bathrooms.
Other Thoughts: I would love to play the course more often, the bugs were too brutal for this time of year though.

Bad

1    4/20/2009   4/20/2009
Review By: mengde
Pros: it's disc golf. they have pretty nice baskets.
Cons: does not drain water at all. As another reviewer said it eats discs. The layout was confusing and often had us backtracking through swamps
Other Thoughts: There are so many better courses in the area, so you have no excuse for wasting your time here. Try Community Park, West Park, or Highland Park instead

hidden gem

5+    4/16/2009   4/17/2009
Review By: jdunk03
This review was updated on 4/19/2009
Pros: Taking care of cleaned out weekly! hole 1 has pond to the left looks amazing til you go in the water. Care center in front takes care of this private course. Any one can play just pick up after your self! Have the course to your self most days.
Cons: Water will eat your disc. one tree fell down but they are in the works of taking it down. care center has disabled they take care of they wonder on the course sometimes but not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: Not many people know about kinda hidden so many courses in the area a lot of people look over it.

Enjoyable course, be carefull.

5+    10/11/2008   3/12/2009
Review By: Kinzoku
Pros: Fun course with a nice mixture of woods and open holes. Challenging tee and hole locations make for a difficult but enjoyable round.
Cons: Drains water poorly, no bathrooms that i remember, and some poison ivy may make the day less enjoyable.
Other Thoughts: I would like to edit the course description, I have not played the course this year but friends have and to my knowledge there are no missing holes.

1 2 3 Next >