Joliet, IL

A great old course

1    7/3/2016   8/8/2016
Review By: SpartanDisc
Pros: - 24 holes with 2 tees per hole makes for a lot of disc golf to be played
- Good shot variety. While there aren't a ton of extremely wooded holes, there are a few tight ones and the design of the course allows for a lot of different shots to be played in a round.
- A few signature holes make good use of the bit of elevation, specifically #2 which is a blind shot off a cliff and over a creek and hole #16 which is a downhill tunnel shot through some pretty thick rough
- Not that it affects the play of the course, but it is nice to see that the oldest course in Illinois is still up and running in good condition
- Not really a true "pro," but since the course is really old, the course par is insanely easy. Just feels good to use the DGCG scorekeeping app and at the end of the round be told I shot 23 under par ;)
Cons: - The course could use a bit better signage as there are some spots where finding the next tee can be challenging unless you know the course. Also a few places where you tee off a road could be better marked in terms of where the tee pad should actually be.
- In some places the teepads are marked by white or red stones/markings for the white or red pads, but on some holes they don't seem match which tee the sign says should be where. Whites are supposed to be longer but on some holes I felt it was the opposite, or maybe I was just confused which pad was which due to it not being totally clear.
- On the back half of the course, it was clear that the holes were just kind of jammed in there. There are a lot of pads and baskets near each other, which in addition to making navigation confusing, leads to some dangerous areas if the course is packed. A few holes play within a few feet of a road (not counting the small road through the park) which could lead to a car being hit or a disc being ran over
- Gets really muddy if there has been a lot of rain
- Doesn't have pads for all 48 tees
Other Thoughts: In writing this, I feel like it might sound like my "cons" are a lot more descriptive and thoughtful than my "pros" and make it sound like I'm being negative. Truthfully, I really enjoy playing this course, and it is one of my constant go-to's in the area. It has a few issues, but it is a lot of fun to play and overall it is very well designed on a majority of holes. I was torn between a 3.5 or 4 but the 3 or 4 overlapping holes on the back 9 made me decide to go with a 3.5. I highly recommend anyone in the area checking it out, if for no other reason than to play the oldest course in the state.

Fun, and almost great

5+    7/6/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: SneakyJedi
Pros: - Good use of elevation
- Several fun holes
- Decent variety and pacing
- Easy enough for beginners to have a good time, challenging enough for the more advanced to hunt for birdies.
- 24 holes
Cons: - No concrete teepads, hopefully will be remedied soon. Natural pads eroded significantly in some areas.
- Course really suffers after a significant rain.
- Through 24 holes, only a few where you can really break out your drivers.
- Navigation can be tricky your first time out. My buddies and I got lost between 8 and 9 and again briefly on the back end
Other Thoughts: West Park is a very fun, if not overly challenging, course. There are many fun and interesting holes sprinkled through the course, and while some may feel redundant, they do not take away much from the overall experience.

Many shot shapes are needed, and elevation is used to great effect on several fairways and greens.

While you will be able to get by with a putter or midrange on the majority of holes, there are enough opportunities to breakout the driver to keep things from getting too stale.

Concrete tees and a bit of work on some of the more eroded areas would really improve the playability of this course, especially after a day or two of rain.

West Park is a lot of fun to play, and combined with one or more of the other Joliet area courses, makes for a great day of disc golf.

Last 1's To Play In Da Heat

5+    7/4/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: Water_Wind_Spirit
This review was updated on 9/27/2014
Pros: Very cool course! One of the first courses I played when I got into the sport of DiscGolf. Witnessed my friend getting an ace on hole #5
Cons: Nothing really bad to say about this course.
Other Thoughts: Hole #3 feels like your in Jurassic Park!

A favorite

5+    6/9/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: Chicagolandlefty
Pros: This course has some of the best variety of holes with a few special ones that are as good as you'll see anywhere.

Hole 2 could be my favorite hole ever. You tee from the edge of a cliff down through some trees to a hole that looks so small that it's unreachable, but I usually manage to have a reasonable putt for a deuce. There's a water hazard (creek) that you can usually retain your disc from, which adds an extra something. There is another blind shot that's downhill from elevation that's a similar, but shorter version.

There's a good mix of wooded and elevation in the first 15 or so and then it starts to open up a bit for the final several holes. They've carved out some nice angles using the trees.

It's a beautiful park with a creek, hills and plenty of tall trees.

While an errant shot can be punished by giving you a bad angle at the pin, there aren't too many places where you'd struggle to find your disc.
Cons: As someone who has played it a couple times a year for many years I know not to play it when it's wet. Just keep that in mind because if you know to simply play when it hasn't rained a lot recently that's not a factor. It will drain (and is often bone dry) unlike some of the drainage ditch courses in the Chicago area.

Despite my familiarity with the course I always tend to get a little lost in a couple places. Some sign improvements could make this the best course around.

A lot of people complain about the tees, but I've played it when it's really dry and the natural tees work just fine. That said, a lot of people seem to care about what kind of tees there are so natural tees is a con to some.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to give this a 4.0, but the more I thought about it the more the lack of directions within the course had to bump it down a peg. Regardless, you must play this course if you love disc golf. 24 with good baskets, variety and fun shots.

Almost an outstanding course

1    5/27/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: My review of West Park DG Course is one that I'm very torn on... there were parts of my round here where I thought to myself "I want to make this a favorite" and parts where I wanted to pick up my discs and go home. The pros are the following:

*24 holes! Mentally, I felt like the round was nearing an end around hole 15 or so, but then I remembered that there was still a lot of disc golf to be played!

*Scenic holes... Hole 2 in particular was awesome! Pretty much throwing off of a mini-cliff with some trees to sculpt a line for you to hit. This is one that I would love to ace (or see aced) some day.

In all, it was a pretty challenging round with a lot of fun holes and a few like number two that I would call good "signature" holes.
Cons: *Unfortuante lack of tee-pads. Sometimes this isn't too bad of a thing, but here it got pretty bad in that there were roots and slopes and crazy things preventing a solid approach.

*Bad flow... I was lucky to have someone who had played the course before with me because I would have had no idea.

*For me, a feeling of being isolated or seperated from the rest of the world is an awesome thing while disc golfing (for both safety and enjoyment reasons). That did not happen here! Multiple playgrounds and streets and houses come into play here which kind of made the round less fun for me.

Timeless Classic

- Well defined fairways
- Variety of lines required
- Some distance variety
- Some risk/reward decisions
- Course flows well from hole to hole
- Bathroom on site in the back near hole #9
Cons: - Teepads are natural and rough
- Erosion issues regarding the teepads, they are treacherous!
- Holes 2-5, 11, and 16 can get extremely sloppy after a significant rainfall.
- Lacks challenge, it is a true deuce or die kind of course
- Majority of holes lack distance
Other Thoughts: West Park is a timeless classic and despite its shorter distance and sometimes lack of a challenge, it is an extremely fun course to play. Most of the holes play through moderately wooded and hilly terrain. The elevation is used very well and provides some really enjoyable down hill shots. Despite the fact that most holes are under 300ft, there are a few holes that let the bigger arms air it out. The fairways are well defined and the navigation is easy. Most holes are rather straight-forward and do not require a guide or walk down the fairway in order to understand the designer's intention.

The creek on the left of #2 drops off near the center and it is possible to lose a disc in there. Otherwise, the creek generally stays pretty low and any disc that goes in should be fairly easy to see and retrieve.

Bathrooms right near hole #9's teepad, but they are sometimes locked.

Bring bug spray as the mosquitoes get pretty bad in the summer.

Overall, West Park is a timeless classic. It is worth a play at least once if you are within a couple hours. The fun factor is extremely high as every hole seems to present a deuce or ace opportunity. With renovations such as concrete teepads and some way to deal with the flooding on holes 2-4 this course could be a 4 or 4.5

West Park Fun and fast

1    9/7/2010   7/2/2011
Review By: Aestheticflight
This review was updated on 8/25/2015
Pros: A very FUN course with many interesting holes. I think the course is fun for all skill levels because although there are few chances to throw a driver there are many holes that demand a well chosen and executed line. Lots of woodsy holes and several made me smile when I first saw them. Nice use of the hills and elevation variations. 24 holes.

Close to the highway if you are passing through I highly recommend this stop.
Cons: The pads were rough and this course would be much improved by good tees. If it is muddy I am sure this could be a problem. Not a course to let you throw the big air drives much, though there are a few chances. At points course was a bit tricky to follow and some signage could be very helpful to new visitors.
Other Thoughts: Not a world championship caliber course but it rates high on my fun scale which is why I give it a 3.5. Only a couple longish holes, more of a control type of course which causes you to find your line and hit it. We need courses like this... they make this game fun for all.
For advanced players every hole is 2 able but, there are risks involved (as there should be in my book). For intermediates this course would be fun too, and even for beginners I believe though it is far from wide open being in the woods so much.

I had a blast playing it. I was fairly hot that day and made 21 deuces out of 24 holes.. I was impressed with the design, Great job you guys! *****
Not sure why I get thumbs down? I am not descriptive of holes I guess... Others do that enough and I don't recall enough to do that playing it only once, but I recommend this course if you get the chance to play it. It is high on my fun list and I have to believe most folks would agree.

dont drink the bog water

5+    2/8/2011   2/8/2011
Review By: notBOB
This review was updated on 7/25/2012
Pros: old civil war base<great home course< cant beat the terrain
-variety of cliff shots, mostly short technical, a few long open bombs with towering trees
-10 holes have two tees, whites(longs) and reds> shorts
-tee signs on every hole and garbage cans
-endless safari possibilities when the course is empty
-many different routes for shortened rounds
Cons: -gets swamped with big groups
-nasty creek...
-natural tees- erosion issues..
-sledders inhibit snow disc
-mosquitos and poison ivy
-holes 5 and 6's tees are painted on the asphault may be hard to see if unacquainted with the course
-long walk from 8 to 9, back tracking, so what.
-hole 14's long tee..? can i call it a tee?? standin on rocks dawg
Other Thoughts: always fun rounds at westy.

Fun for all ages

5+    9/25/2010   9/26/2010
Review By: notapro
This review was updated on 1/6/2011
Pros: - Course is spread out in a large park with many different features. It is an older course and an even older park, with a definite old school feel.
- Lots of elevation changes to be found through the first 18 holes. There are two great cliff shots, and some decent uphill tosses. A lot of gently sloping fairways as well, which can be very relevant when shaping lines to avoid trees. Some spots have big dropoffs off the fairway, starting with #1.
- Various trees and forested areas to contend with at all times. Majority have large mature trees to avoid, but there are other tighter spots with denser bushes and whatnot. A lot of the holes with elevation have windows to hit or fairways to stay on.
- Punishment in other spots due to water and/or swamp. A small creek is in play on numerous holes, crossing over a few and bordering others. It really helps to define the holes and set up some tricky approach shots and drives. A few baskets are protected this way very well.
- Decent mix of different shots needed. Most of the holes play straight, more or less, but there is the occasional spot where a left or right shot really made things easier.
- Good baskets for an old course, decent signage, and ok creek crossings. Can be a little tricky to navigate the first time through.
Cons: - Part of the old school feel is shorter hole lengths. There are a few longer holes and a decent amount over 300', but there are also a ton around 200'. A lot of these holes can be done in 3 without much effort, which really takes away from the difficulty.
- Back 6 or so feel a little tacked on, just a mostly flat field with some mature trees. Kind of a let down after the first 18.
- Teepads can be pretty muddy, just like the rest of the course.
Other Thoughts: - This course has a very high fun factor, with shorter hole lengths, great elevation changes, and lots of hazards. Water is used very well on a good amount of holes, in different ways. A few great cliff shots and even some sloping greens. It is easy to score well, but it does not feel cheap or boring like other shorter courses.

Rough around the edges

5+    8/14/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: adwagner
Pros: This park offers quite a bit of challenges to the RHBH thrower like myself. The number of finessed anhyzers required really tests my game even on the best days. The only drives you can really let loose on are too tight to reach the pin reliably, and for all of the obstacles this course presents, none of the punishments are really unfair. Big fan of holes 9-18. Great course design for the most part. The two sets of tees offer some different challenges on the ten holes that have them, and since I live in Orland, its often worth the drive out to west, so long as there's not a huge backup on I-80.
Cons: I've been spoiled by rubber and concrete teepads, so the dirt pads here at west can sometimes get on my nerves, to the point I won't play this course if it's rained recently (opting instead for nearby highland, or back to our default course, The Oaks). There are plenty of nearby roadways that can do a lot of damage to a brand new disc. I'm also a big fan of long tosses, and this course really only tests your distance throw twice...though they are beautiful holes.
Other Thoughts: Right off the interstate...on a dry day, you shouldn't pass this one up!