Joliet, IL
West Park Share
4 / 249ft.   4 / 249ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #2 Tee: Basket about 20ft. to the left of arrow

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Old course reviewed by old player

5+    7/27/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: thrembo
Pros: A somewhat short technical course that's wooded and challenging.

The course offers a wide variety of shot options.

The course caters to all skill levels and under normal conditions, is very fun to play.

It is the oldest course in Illinois that's still in the ground.

Friendly locals and a long standing tradition of fun tournaments.
Cons: The course is not so fun when its raining out, or after a heavy rain. It can get very muddy.

The course could really benefit from some concrete tee pads.

It can get very crowded.

The navigation can be a little tricky. I recommend a guide, or hooking up with a local your 1st time through.
Other Thoughts: I started playing this course when it was first put in, and it was the first course with baskets that I have played on. It will always be my home course, and hold a special place in my heart.

The cons have not changed over the years, but with that in mind, it is still a very fun course for all skill levels and a must play for this area. It really is a piece of Illinois disc golf history.

Wild Wild West

2-4    11/4/2012   11/4/2012
Review By: LeddZepp8687
Pros: -Oldest course in IL!
-Tons of different shots here
-Excellent use of elevation
-Good mix of distance
-Lots of reward for well thrown shots, consequently errant shots are punished and can cost you multiple throws to get yourself out of trouble.
-Pretty good flow from hole to hole
-A couple of real tight, challenging fairways which I really like.
-Very quiet minus the noise generated by the nearby highway
-24 holes, I wish more courses were this long. I like to play until I'm tired and this course is perfect for starting or ending a day of disc'n when you play another one of the nearby courses or play around this one twice
-This is one of those "must play" courses in the chicagoland area, That in itself says something about the course.
-Lots of "fun factor" here, This is a fun course, No doubt about that.
Cons: -Navigation, the baskets are not taped to direct you to the next hole and although most of the time it is relatively straightforward there are a couple or confusing spots, Luckily locals pointed us in the right direction.
-Natural tees, I know this is being a bit picky but there are a couple of real sketchy tees. The natural tees are true to this course's old school roots but concrete would be a nice addition to an already great course.
-This course is a MESS after it rains. If there has been recent rains, skip it. It does dry out quick though.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the first courses I day-tripped to play when I was still wet behind the ears in the disc golf world and it had been a while since I had been back and after playing it again today I realized how much I really liked it.

You have to remind yourself when you play this course that it is the FIRST disc golf course in Illinois, Thats super cool to me. Think of all the aces and good times that have been had here over the years.

This may not be the most beginner friendly course out there but we took a rookie out today and he had a rough time on some of the holes but he said he really enjoyed it.

Also, aces and chains disc golf store (www.acesandchains.com ) is right around the corner (Intersection of jefferson and larkin, behind the subway) if you need anything disc golf related, stop by. Skip the big stores, Support locals and shop locally.

Classic short course

5+    7/15/2012   9/15/2012
Review By: steven2361
Pros: There's a variety of holes requiring unique lines here. There are two sets of tees on some holes. There is some cool elevation on several holes. A fun opportunity to rip it is there in the open on hole 11. Hole 10 from the long tee is unique as it requires a righty backhand flex line.
Cons: This is a very short course. It can feel repetitive throwing a lot of putters and mids. This course is very eroded and most of the lines are very open and not very demanding. I don't really care for hole 16, a blind hole with ob road 1 foot behind the basket. There is not many opportunities to throw drivers here.
Other Thoughts: One of the oldest courses around.

Favorite Course in Southwest Chicagoland

5+    8/12/2005   7/29/2012
Review By: ski3
Pros: Love the elevations of the course. Excellent fairways to execute. Good shots out of tree line, especially the one on top of the hill pretty much thrown over the forest.
Cons: The area turned, making it a better course to play afternoon well before day break.
Other Thoughts: Probably the most elevated course I've played on in the south burbs. Always a challenge. Great use of space and always maintained.

Last 1's To Play In Da Heat

5+    7/4/2012   7/8/2012
Review By: Water_Wind_Spirit
This review was updated on 7/9/2012
Pros: Great course! Always look forward to coming to this course. Very surreal experience, sort of feels like your in Jurassic Park on a couple of holes!
Cons: Like to see concrete t-pads but no big deal.
Other Thoughts: Great course offering a nice challenge

A favorite

5+    6/9/2012   6/17/2012
Review By: Chicagolandlefty
Pros: This course has some of the best variety of holes with a few special ones that are as good as you'll see anywhere.

Hole 2 could be my favorite hole ever. You tee from the edge of a cliff down through some trees to a hole that looks so small that it's unreachable, but I usually manage to have a reasonable putt for a deuce. There's a water hazard (creek) that you can usually retain your disc from, which adds an extra something. There is another blind shot that's downhill from elevation that's a similar, but shorter version.

There's a good mix of wooded and elevation in the first 15 or so and then it starts to open up a bit for the final several holes. They've carved out some nice angles using the trees.

It's a beautiful park with a creek, hills and plenty of tall trees.

While an errant shot can be punished by giving you a bad angle at the pin, there aren't too many places where you'd struggle to find your disc.
Cons: As someone who has played it a couple times a year for many years I know not to play it when it's wet. Just keep that in mind because if you know to simply play when it hasn't rained a lot recently that's not a factor. It will drain (and is often bone dry) unlike some of the drainage ditch courses in the Chicago area.

Despite my familiarity with the course I always tend to get a little lost in a couple places. Some sign improvements could make this the best course around.

A lot of people complain about the tees, but I've played it when it's really dry and the natural tees work just fine. That said, a lot of people seem to care about what kind of tees there are so natural tees is a con to some.
Other Thoughts: I wanted to give this a 4.0, but the more I thought about it the more the lack of directions within the course had to bump it down a peg. Regardless, you must play this course if you love disc golf. 24 with good baskets, variety and fun shots.

Almost an outstanding course

1    5/27/2012   5/27/2012
Review By: Jashwa
Pros: My review of West Park DG Course is one that I'm very torn on... there were parts of my round here where I thought to myself "I want to make this a favorite" and parts where I wanted to pick up my discs and go home. The pros are the following:

*24 holes! Mentally, I felt like the round was nearing an end around hole 15 or so, but then I remembered that there was still a lot of disc golf to be played!

*Scenic holes... Hole 2 in particular was awesome! Pretty much throwing off of a mini-cliff with some trees to sculpt a line for you to hit. This is one that I would love to ace (or see aced) some day.

In all, it was a pretty challenging round with a lot of fun holes and a few like number two that I would call good "signature" holes.
Cons: *Unfortuante lack of tee-pads. Sometimes this isn't too bad of a thing, but here it got pretty bad in that there were roots and slopes and crazy things preventing a solid approach.

*Bad flow... I was lucky to have someone who had played the course before with me because I would have had no idea.

*For me, a feeling of being isolated or seperated from the rest of the world is an awesome thing while disc golfing (for both safety and enjoyment reasons). That did not happen here! Multiple playgrounds and streets and houses come into play here which kind of made the round less fun for me.

Standing The Test Of Time

1    5/25/2012   5/26/2012
Review By: sthomas128
This review was updated on 7/4/2012
Pros: .
**The first course in Illinois
**STILL Standing the test of time
**Still a VERY fun course to play
**Good use of elevation
**Hole #2 is the signature hole for sure
**Good variety of shots
**Still a BLAST to play even with the navigation issues
Cons: .
**COME ON Joliet Park District…Spend a little bit of money on EROSION CONTROL…
** You walk up to the first tee and the concrete park bench seat hits you above the waist it's sooo eroded away.
**LOTS of EROSION issues with this course.
**Several of the tees are eroded away by at least a foot ! ! !
**Would score LOTS higher with Concrete Pads and some erosion control
Other Thoughts: .
*****The GPS coordinates found here for this course are for Hole 1 which is like a couple hundred feet from I80. My GPS said I had reached my destination right on I80.
FOLLOW THE WRITTEN DIRECTIONS HERE FOR EXIT NUMBER AND HOW TO GET THERE*****
**Hey J-Town Disc Golf Club…Can someone make a course map and post it here, That would sure help newbies find their way around???
**Several places where we could and did get lost, only some help from the locals kept us going in the right direction.
**From hole 8 to 9??? Who's going to figure that out without some help???

Timeless Classic

- Well defined fairways
- Variety of lines required
- Some distance variety
- Some risk/reward decisions
- Course flows well from hole to hole
- Bathroom on site in the back near hole #9
Cons: - Teepads are natural and rough
- Erosion issues regarding the teepads, they are treacherous!
- Holes 2-5, 11, and 16 can get extremely sloppy after a significant rainfall.
- Lacks challenge, it is a true deuce or die kind of course
- Majority of holes lack distance
Other Thoughts: West Park is a timeless classic and despite its shorter distance and sometimes lack of a challenge, it is an extremely fun course to play. Most of the holes play through moderately wooded and hilly terrain. The elevation is used very well and provides some really enjoyable down hill shots. Despite the fact that most holes are under 300ft, there are a few holes that let the bigger arms air it out. The fairways are well defined and the navigation is easy. Most holes are rather straight-forward and do not require a guide or walk down the fairway in order to understand the designer's intention.

The creek on the left of #2 drops off near the center and it is possible to lose a disc in there. Otherwise, the creek generally stays pretty low and any disc that goes in should be fairly easy to see and retrieve.

Bathrooms right near hole #9's teepad, but they are sometimes locked.

Bring bug spray as the mosquitoes get pretty bad in the summer.

Overall, West Park is a timeless classic. It is worth a play at least once if you are within a couple hours. The fun factor is extremely high as every hole seems to present a deuce or ace opportunity. With renovations such as concrete teepads and some way to deal with the flooding on holes 2-4 this course could be a 4 or 4.5

5+    4/5/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: Aysizhi
Pros: Great use of terrain on this winding wooded course. You don't need a huge arm on this course to be successful. If you just play a smart game and make consistent accurate throws, you will be rewarded.
Cons: The mud/dirt tees can be daunting, but you get used to it.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course in Illinois and also the course I've played the most... nearly 100 rounds I'd say, so I might be biased.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5