Hamilton, IL
Uploaded By: IrishCreamer Hole #9

great course

5+    8/23/2013   8/23/2014
Review By: sndmn762
Pros: excellent course, good basket placements, got some long holes,nice tpads, grass is usually cut short,and taken care of
Cons: when it rains heavy, forget about playing the holes down by the river, flooding happens most of the time when it rains down there

1    7/14/2013   3/14/2014
Review By: wfisher74
Pros: Long, tight, tough, beautiful.....Am i describing a perfect woman or just a perfect DG course....well both.
Cons: Long, tight, tough......everything that makes it great makes it tough.....so low scores are hard to come by, but par isn't impossible.
Other Thoughts: If you are in the area, PLAY this course. Be prepared for a long walk and if you cant throw 280-300 feet somewhat accurately you are going to have a hard time, but even that said it is a wonderful park to explore as you follow the course. Warm up at the very nice 9 hole short course just across the street. Great for kids and or putter/mid practice and warmup.

Overrated

1    5/11/2013   5/13/2013
Review By: the Duff
Pros: Good mix of shots. Some picturesque elevation changes on holes one, twelve, and fourteen. Baskets are in good shape. Tee signs are good with next hole info and bag hooks. Nice touch! Benches on almost every hole. Decent signage pointing you to the next hole if it isn't next to the last green. I used the course map on my phone and it was fairly accurate. Concrete tees were very level if not a little small. The open fairways were nicely mowed. There is camping on site and a swimming pool. Could easily make a cheap out of town weekend with your buddies.
Cons: Holes four, five, eight, and nine had standing water on them. It rained three days prior and still had not drained off. Poor course design decision. Hole 6 green was on large, loose, jagged rock. Hard on putters for your approach. Hole 7 tee was also on this loose stone which made running up impossible without twisting an ankle. Hole 10 had no fairway. You play over a ravine that was full of weeds. I did not see any poisonous plants but saw the affects of them the next day. Hole 14 and 15 were just wide open fairways without any obstacles, but were made more challenging by the high winds that day.
Other Thoughts: I admit, I was expecting quite a bit out of this "four star" course. The amenities are definately a bonus, but doesn't quite make up for the design problems. The "wet" holes may be better in the middle of the summer, but the jagged rock problem needs to be fixed before I could give it a higher rating. Just move the basket and tee! I probably wouldn't go back.

2-4    3/5/2012   3/23/2012
Review By: Jintaq
Pros: Such a fun course. Great mix of skills needed for this course. Lot of fun elevation. A very beautiful park in general and it has tons of room used well for a great course. Hole 1 is crazy fun. I bring my dogs out to this course and it is a great area away from most roads also. Course is also basically across the street from a short 9 hole course that serves as a great warmup.
Cons: 3 holes are in low ground that could potentially flood, but are great holes regardless.
Other Thoughts: Phenomenal course. Best course I've ever played on.

Awesome

5+    6/23/2011   6/29/2011
Review By: pdgamember
Pros: What a Disc golf course is supposed to be! The first hole is a great hole to start you on your journey. Just have fun!
Cons: I can think of none
Other Thoughts: If you just starting to play disc golf..bring some extra discs as you may lose 1 or 3 lol

A small town that supports DG

1    5/22/2010   9/24/2010
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Beautiful park. Top notch maintenance. Camping, a couple of small playgrounds, swimming pool, a couple of shelter houses. Another DG park just down the road. A community that seems to truly accept and invite DG in their town.

Huge course map sign. Simple tee signs. Concrete tee pads. Course designer did a fantastic job with the design using the lay of the land very well. Water hazard on the creek holes (1, 5, 6, 7). Elevation changes ranging from small incline/declines to huge canyon shots. A few wooded holes too (10, 11).

Game play was great. Lots of fun holes, a few epic shots that really made the course fun.

1 truly is all it is cracked up to be, it doesn't look like much, but if you come up short, you're in a world of hurt. Awesome hole!!
Cons: Not a beginner friendly course. On many of the long holes, unless you can throw 300+ accurately, you'll be in for a long day.

5, 6, and 7 were very soft and spongy with some standing water after a rain, my feet got a little wet.

A few areas to note that people can be in your fairways: 4 when I played had a group of vehicles sitting towards the pin, I ended up throwing around them, on 8 there was a vehicle that I had to throw over, ball field by 15, 16 and 17 there was some picnic tables and a park grill near the fairway, and 18 be aware of the playground, though depending on your throws, most of these may not be an issue but worth noting.

Have to use the bridge on 11 to get to pin on hole 10.

Three repetitive boring holes that don't mesh with the rest of the park (13, 14, 15) as they were just open back and forth shots. With the hills here, they should plant some trees and or bushes for obstacles.
Other Thoughts: As noted above, hole 1 is truly epic. It doesn't look like that big of a deal in the photo, but it's harder than it looks. This left to right canyon shot has trees growing near the bottom around the creek, those trees are fully grown trees and you are staring at the tops of the trees from the tee pad, just to let you know how far down it is. There is a gap to get through, but you have to be aware of the road as that is OB, so there is little room for error. The area at the bottom next to the creek has thick vegetation, throwing up and out or through it will cost you a couple two or three strokes.

12 is a 630' bomb, but shot placement is critical, you have to really set your first shot up to get a good second drive back up to the basket. If you throw too close to the middle of the fairway down by the trees, it's difficult to go through or over.

18 is another great shot that uses elevation very well. Teeing off above the creek area, you throw along the creek and the rough to a basket on a very steep side hill, so placement here is incredibly important.

I really had a good time at the course and so did the family. The youngsters played on the playground, and the wife walked with me while I played. I hope to get back this fall to take in some of the beauty of the park.

The first hole pulls no punches

2-4    9/11/2010   9/14/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 2/1/2013
Pros: This course is one of my favorites, it will give you a challenge, and it's fun to play.
-All of the amenities are Par here: Concrete Tee's, Signs with maps, Park is well maintained,
-First hole is a big challenge. A 462ft Canyon shot, that bends to the right; As well as carries over a tree lined creek.
-This course is a very challenging course, that requires big distance drives, and multiple risk/reward shots.
-Not beginner friendly. This course is a challenge and could be frustrating for those that don't have the arm for it.
-Very Scenic course. The walk through the course is very enjoyable. Especially in the fall.
-Excellent use of terrain, with multiple canyon shots. Two that carry over dense woods (10,11) and Two that carry over a tree lined creek(1,12).
-This course will require the player to break out their long arms, at the same time most holes require a good placement for the second shot.
-Most of the holes vary, and require a different strategy. Most of the holes don't play the same.*
-Water comes into play on some of the holes.
-The shorter holes are not to be dismissed as lesser, they offer just as much of a challenge. The short holes just require a more strategic approach. An errant throw on #11 will have a player scouring the woods for their disc. ...like I did! ; )
-Big fun factor here, and a great challenge! Well worth a trip to the Area.
-Not designed for a quick play. 18 plays back to the start, but if you play 9 you will have a long walk back to the car.
-For a quick warm up round before hitting Wildcat, check out Hamilton Park which is just a few blocks down the street.
Cons: -*When you get to hole 13, the course kind of becomes Vanilla. The holes 13,14, and 15 play back and forth across an open empty field. Very repetitive.
-15 Plays behind the right field of a baseball diamond. (They don't yell "fore" in Baseball, so heads up.)
-16,17 and 18 play near a common area with a playground. May not be an issue all the time, but it's definitely worth mentioning. The day we played, kids were running around all over the place. including across our fairway.
-Closed during the Winter. (I learned that the hard way)
Other Thoughts: This is a course I've been waiting to return to. The first time I played here, darkness stopped our game on hole 10. The second time I tried to play here, I drove the 45 miles only to discover it's closed during the winter. In this case "3rd time is the charm", I really enjoyed this course, and it is one of my favorites. If you are looking for a fun challenge, then you will find it at Wildcat.

For the most part, the course is segregated from the rest of the park. 1-14 play away from the common areas, and 4-9 is in an area that is Disc Golf only. With the exception of a maintenance road. The only part that gets congested is around 15-18, which plays near a shelter, Baseball field and play area. The day we played here, it looked like they were having a family reunion at the shelter. The kids running around made us play a little more conservatively.

Tennis shoes should be fine here, but you may want something a little more protective. It can get sloppy here after a rain, and there are creek beds that could fill up with water. You will probably end up going into the woods to retrieve your disc a couple of times, so be prepared. If you are playing near dark, it might help to bring a glow disc. Just an FYI. If you live in South Eastern Iowa, or mid western Illinois, then this course is worth a trip over. It also caps a nice road trip if you were to hit Burlington and Fort Madison as well.

Closest Course to Ball Golf I've Ever Played

1    6/8/2010   6/8/2010
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: Challenging, excellent use of elevation, nice baskets, nice long teepads, water on several holes, variety of shots required.
Cons: I think some of the sign distances were wrong. I was particularly bummed on 17 when I hit a tree 10 feet behind the basket and the disc was still 10 feet over the basket. I threw a midrange when I should have thrown a putter. After pacing it off, I'm sure it was at least 30 feet off. There was a couple others that I'm pretty sure were at least that far longer than the sign said.

The sign on 6 was missing, which was rather unfortunate since the basket isn't visible from the tee and it would have been really nice to know there is a huge river 10 feet behind the basket. I discovered that after being rather aggressive on a 60 foot putt (luckily I missed by less than 10 feet).

The basket on 16 needs to be painted bright orange (like one of the earlier baskets was). It is absolutely invisible from the teebox.

Stairs and/or a bridge need to be put in on 10. I parked my drive and still felt like I had to be punished walking across the ravine through the schule and mud.

If I were going to add a major project to the course, I'd actually add a set of shorter tees and make it more beginner friendly. It really wouldn't be much fun to play this course if I could only throw 200 feet.
Other Thoughts: This course is all that the shorter Hamilton course isn't:

Challenging, thick schule, NOT beginner friendly, requires you to use the whole bag, NOT stroller friendly, easy to lose a disc etc.

The main challenge, however, is distance. If you cannot drive 350+ feet on flat open ground you will not score well. Holes 1 and 12 are particularly challenging. You throw off a big hill, the disc flies forever, and then you get to the bottom and you've still got a 250 foot shot uphill to the basket. I found it a little depressing to be throwing my max distance driver ON MY UPSHOT. There are a number of holes on the backside that will allow you to make up for some of the lost shots on the front nine, but to birdie the "wide open holes" mentioned on other reviews, you'll need to be able to drive 350-400.

I was pleased to card a 57, 2 birdies, 3 bogies, and a 5 on the first hole (rough start, I know.) I had the course all to myself on a weekday morning in the rain. It was a little soggy, but not bad. It really gave me the impression of playing ball golf as I found myself shooting for fairways (many holes were just too long for me to shoot for the basket on my first shot), the fairways were well-manicured and a missed fairway would really punish me. There weren't any super-tight holes, but when I'm throwing a Katana off most of the teeboxes, there doesn't have to be very many trees on the hole for it to feel tight.

Not the greatest course I've ever played but well above average. A few changes would make this course a real destination course.

A really nice course

2-4    5/11/2010   5/13/2010
Review By: thezulu
Pros: A really nice course. You can play this course in a very peaceful environment. The Hole #1 is the one I prefered, I like the view and as it on a top hill you can throw your disc really far ;) but take care of the trees !
The Holes close to the creek are very nice and open. You can make long distance drive from the #4 to #9 and #12 to #15.
I you are near the Wildcat Springs park you MUST do it.

Cons: Better to have a spotter for the #1 if you are not a really good player.
The holes in the bottom (#4 to #9) are muddy after the rain and of course you will enjoy the bugs !
Other Thoughts: I was happy to made the PAR on this course coz the 1st time I came there I was a bit impressed by the difficulty of some holes.
Not a lot of people are playing this course so you will enjoy it for the beauty and the silence ;)

Hope my english is not so bad for you guyz ;)

A top course in Illinois

5+    9/19/2009   1/19/2010
Review By: Michler
This review was updated on 5/28/2014
Pros: This course starts it off right with Hole 1. One of the best holes in Illinois. You tee downhill towards a valley with heavy schule (difficult to get out of) at the bottom of the valley. Heavy woods to the right. OB road cutting in towards the fairway on the left. The goal for most pros here is to play a safe shot over the valley about 250 feet. From this position a hill runs straight up to the bucket, about 220 feet uphill from the ideal layup zone. Some very elite pros (Jenkins, Doss, Nikko, etc..) go for a monster flex shot over the top of everything. This brings road OB and the woods into play, not a play for the average pro!

After Hole 1 this course continues to impress. There are 4 or 5 holes that would be considered 'par 4' for the average Pro golfer who doesn't throw 480 feet. Some water comes into play on a few holes. Some great elevation change on some of the more wooded holes. I'd say 5 or 6 of the holes would be considered 'wooded', but none of them are excessively tight.

A course that rates high on challenge for skilled golfers and very high on fun for all golfers. Its been used for the Hamilton A tier event in September. Anything under 50 has been an elite score for the Open division. I believe 43 by Nikko has been the best score anybody has carded.

Also, check out Keokuk which is about 8 minutes from this course across the Iowa border. A solid shorter course in the area that is also a worth-while play.
Cons: Not much bad you can say here. There is 3 consecutive holes in a wide open field. They are a little boring and repetetive, but at least there are only 3 of them (13-15).
Other Thoughts: This is a cool park in a very small town. Its very out of the way but the locals have always been friendly when I've visited. I highly recommend hitting this course if you are ever close to this area.