Clarksburg, WV
Veterans Memorial Park Share
Uploaded By: gottafixit Hole #4 (Taken 5/2011)

Short & Hilly

2-4    7/9/2014   7/9/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - Bathrooms, pavilions, playground, etc all on site.
- Park was clean & well maintained
- Elevation in play on every shot in one way or another. Uphill, downhill, across the hill, sloping greens, etc are all very well used.
Cons: - Signage. This was frustrating on several levels. 1st there were holes with no posted tee signs (most had them). 2nd the signs that were there were posted willy nilly in odd locations. In any other course I've been to the sign is posted next to (R/L or behind) the tee pad and facing the fairway. Not here....there are some facing the way the hole plays, some facing 90-180 degrees from the fairway.
- Tee pads - natural, small, uneven, and very worn. Most had a sunken 2x4 to mark the front of the pad but some on hills were so worn down the "pad" was several inches below the board. Thankfully no long throws so all can be done standing.
- Hole 1 plays very close to a playground which is in play. I ended up not playing from the tee due to this as there were several kids running about.
- The other holes are packed in very tight in some areas. If the course were busy I'd be concerned about the closeness as these holes are packed in.
- I couldn't find all the tees (with a map). Hole #2 I found the tee sign...but no indication of a pad nearby or even a worn patch of grass. Hole #3 I could find neither so I just picked a spot towards the hole that looked interesting and played from there.
- Very short.
Other Thoughts: I stopped here to bag a course as a quick pit stop on a long trek with the family. Wife & kid hung out on the playground and I got to stretch my legs and check off a course. Win/win. There are definitely better options but it fit my needs here. There was much frustration with finding my way around and if it wasn't for my OCD I would have had a great time just picking random baskets and playing safari as the terrain is phenomenal - not only is it sloping down to the river, but there are several little valleys heading down with baskets placed on the ridges to make some sweet possibilities. If this were my 'local' course it is probably how I'd play it as it was too short for even my noodle arm and outside of the terrain was lacking in variety.

Simply a Quick Course to Bag

1    10/25/2013   10/29/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Located in a very large city park which has mini golf, running trails, a playground and a pool right next to the course. An arrow pointing you toward the course when you first drive in is much appreciated, and there is plenty of parking space. There were a ton of cars parked in this area (even though nothing was going on at the park that I could tell). Multiple restrooms are near the course, but take caution that they are only open during pool/putt putt season.

There are tee signs which show you the lines to the basket, distances, and the multiple pin positions. The course has DISCatcher baskets that were in good shape and since the tees are natural, the boards in the ground to throw from were a nice touch.

I really liked the type of land used here. It was filled with rolling hills and trees, and even a possible water hazard with the creek/river that was near holes 5, 7, and 9. This allowed for some fun holes, although they were pretty straight-forward and had a lot of room for error. There were hyzers, anhyzers, and straight throws, as well as throws with different looks with elevation.
Cons: -The restrooms were locked since it was out of season, which was kind of annoying. Stop at the nearby Sheetz prior to your round if you're coming from a distance (which you shouldn't for this course).
-Hole one plays very close to a playground
-The natural tees were on uneven ground for almost every hole.
-Somewhat out of the way from other courses, but Orange Crush/Seth Burton are about 20 minutes north.
-All of the holes play on a small piece of land in the park. This makes course navigation a little confusing because you can see multiple baskets from most tees. There were a few times I had to walk up to the basket first to make sure I was throwing at the right one. The times I didn't check, I threw at the wrong basket. At times, the tee signs were facing in a direction that face the corresponding basket. Also, since the holes are bunched together, I walked to the wrong tee a couple of times.
-Holes 4 and 9 didn't have baskets set up
-Short distances, every hole is under 300 feet
Other Thoughts: I stopped here before a round at Morris Park hoping to get a quality 9, but the rating on this site truly reflects the course well. The course does have some fun holes (like 3 and 5), but doesn't give much of a challenge or require much thinking. It is a quick 9 and there isn't much of a chance to lose discs, which is nice. You will not get lost in the woods finding the next hole, but navigation is confusing and the course could definitely interfere with people playing on the playground on hole 1 and people running on the last few holes. If multiple people were playing this course, there would definitely be interference because the fairways run through each other at times. This course only takes about 15-20 minutes to play, and I recommend only stopping here if coming from the south to play Orange Crush/Seth Burton or simply to course bag.

Alright for Something Close

5+    7/1/2012   7/13/2012
Review By: knettles
Pros: -Terrain, trees, and river make for some slightly interesting shots.
-Good amenitites, which includes a putt putt course.
Cons: -Pedestrians come into play often, so avoid weekends if possible.
-A couple tees aren't marked.
-A couple tees aren't flat.
-A couple tees view multiple baskets, which can be confusing.
-Short course.
Other Thoughts: To make this course a good deal funner, I designed an extra 6 hole layout. Here it goes.
Hole A - Tees off just down from basket #1 over both tennis courts to basket #9.
Hole B - Tees off next to basket #7 to basket #5.
Hole C - Tees off halfway down hole 6's fairway from a cement square all the way to basket #3.
Hole D - Tees off from up above basket #4 on the gravel walkway to basket #4.
Hole E - Tees off from close to hole 5's teepad to basket #6.
Hole F - Tees off from close to basket #6 to basket #7.
I know it's not perfect, but I think this new 15 hole layout takes this course from a 2 to 3. It's at least something different. Give it a try if you're there and feel like changing it up.
(Missing basket #9 due to construction. Should be finished around Octoberish 2012.)

What a joke

1    6/18/2012   6/28/2012
Review By: murf1087
Pros: Its still a disc golf course. Good place to practice putting and short game. I assume very few people come to this park to disc. The course is yours.
Cons: uneven grass tee pads. Bad signage, needs next tee location on sign. Playground comes into play on hole 1. Hole two a metal fence is directly on the fairway. Hole three tee pad could not be found. Large mound of dirt currently between holes 8 and 9.
Other Thoughts: I was so frustrated after five holes that I left the course.

Ridge and Furrow

1    4/9/2010   4/12/2010
Review By: swatso
Pros:
Some interesting basket positions, numbers 2, 3, and 5 located on small ridges with furrows on either side.
Cons:
Never did find tees 3 or 5. Multiple chances to interfere with other park users.
Plays up, down, and across a moderately-wooded slope in a multi-purpose park. Most drives from the tee were straight or left-turners. Relatively short - the 300' #6 downhill run towards the river was the longest, and my favourite hole.

Tee #1 is beside the tennis court. For #3 and #5, I went down to the riverside path, and where it splits for a small amount of time, there are four very large trees leaning over the water. From here, #3 is an up/cross slope left-turner, and #5 is straight up a narrow ridge, with trees on either side. Too long on 7 or 9, and you'll be hitting the fences surrounding a tennis court (high school match in play when I was there). Too long on 6 or 8, and you'll find the riverside walking path - or the river!

I've played better

1    6/21/2009   6/21/2009
Review By: Showboarder
Pros: Varied terrain added some variety to the notably shorter holes

In a friendly park
Cons: Holes not well marked

Tee markers not in line with holes (hole 8 pointed to hole 9 instead of hole 8)

Hole 4 nowhere to be found
Other Thoughts: The course did have some potential. It was really clumped together with only hole number 6 being notable. Some parts were under construction due to stuff added to the park, but this doesn't make my low rating biased. I rate it a 2 because of the shortness and lack of overall variety, as well as the poor course design.

If playing Seth Burton, why not visit Clarksburg?

1    7/16/2008   10/16/2008
Review By: Jimb
Pros: Nice park facilities. Good elevation changes make the relatively short holes more interesting to play. Once you play this the first time you should be able to play a really quick round here as it's pretty easy to navigate and the holes are fit into a relatively small area.

The course sits on the side of a hill and the holes pretty much alternate going up and down the hill. Most of the holes are nestled inbetween mature trees. And even with all of the trees, the fairways are well defined. A couple hole highlights for me were: #4, a legitimate ace run... slightly up hill, big hyzer (RHBH) and not very long. And #5 plays uphill a good bit, with a somewhat narrow alley between trees. And the landing area around the pin is pretty narrow and drops off to the left and right into gullys. So if your tee shot isn't well placed, you might have to really scramble for a par.

Generally, this is a nice, fun course to play... not particularly hard and not incredibly easy either.
Cons: I couldn't find either the tee or the pin for #3 when I was there. I don't think that I just missed it. Maybe it was vandals?

No opportunities to air it out for big arms (or really even for my very average arm either). And I don't think that the combination of mainly up hill or down hill holes really plays that well for someone just learning the game.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed my round here and would play the course again, if my travels take me to the general area. I wouldn't go very far out of my way to play the course, though.

So if you're checking out Seth Burton and Agent Orange in Fairmont, it's not that long of a drive to Clarksburg. And if you're feeling a little beat up from 36 holes in Fairmont, this should allow you to relax a little. Just take it in and enjoy it... you're discin' right?