Jefferson City, MO
Joseph C. Miller DGC Share
Uploaded By: dudiablo Hole #10 (Taken 4/2011)

Very decent course!

1    10/2/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Good variety! There's not a ton of wide-open shots, but it's not just tunnel shot after tunnel shot. I loved the variety of range in distance as well.

I like the way they mark which pin position is active, by using a simple wing nut and big red plastic marker. Each sign by the tee box also gives the location of the next tee; I highly reccomend you pay attention to it! (see below)

Course was well mowed and well maintained when I played in early October.

Nice, long, grippy concrete tee pads, with a bit of pea gravel after them which helps with erosion.

Very pretty scenery; there's houses and ball fields visible from a few holes, but I saw tons of squirrels/wildlife milling about and felt like I was taking a nice walk through the woods while playing, without being frustrated.

Although this course is fairly wooded, the trees are avoidable with a good shot and it's not maddeningly frustrating, even for this beginner.

I like how there's steep drop-offs near several of the holes, forcing you to make tough choices about whether to putt for the basket, or just layup rather than risking losing your disc in a dried-up creek bed. Nice touch to the game.

Even the tunnel shots that are there are very thoughtfully laid out, and just generally gorgeous. I think I was most impressed with the scenery on this course; I wasn't expecting it to be this pretty!

The designer generally did a good job using elevation, woods, rough, and everything available to create a wide variety of elevation changes, directional changes, and different "feels" on the holes. Even for someone who has a real affinity for finding trees, the wooded holes weren't boring or monotonous and I thought the trees were used very well as obstacles, instead of just being irritating.

The area is just dedicated for disc golf. I know a few other reviewers had trouble with people milling about; I played on a Wednesday afternoon after work and it was perfectly fine. A couple guys behind me, but other than that, nothing. And nobody wandering around the course either.

I didn't run into any burrs or poison ivy on my trek out here; a nice departure from some of the courses I play back in Kansas City.

Overall, this was just a very fun play for me; I was in town on business and was able to fit in a full round in a little over an hour after meetings. Great variety and fun factor is definitely there!
Cons: The navigation got tricky on parts of the course. Even if you pay attention to the tee signs, it's still very possible to get lost, in particular from 11-12, and 14-15. On 12, the tee box is in the woods directly in front of the basket; on 15, you walk right by 17's tee box on the way, so keep walking and look for the sign a ways up ahead.

Some of the baskets, benches, and signs look a bit worn and tired; doesn't really affect the game play, but it didn't feel as well kept up in this regard as most of my home courses back in KC.

The marking system for the active pin is nice, but on hole 11, it was on the wrong pin position and probably cost me 2 strokes. It's still a very fun hole and I loved the design, but it was aggravating to hurt my game over an incorrect marker.

The baskets for some of the holes are very close to others, especially 11 and 17. Also, on 9, it's easy to mistake the practice basket for the real basket, going off the sign.

The back 9 in particular felt like it zig-zagged across itself quite a bit; it wasn't overly busy when I played, but this could pose a problem if you're not careful. Pay close attention to the numbers on top of the baskets, or you'll end up throwing at the wrong one like I did!

Adding to the navigational woes, there's not a great map at the entry to take a snapshot of on your phone for reference. It's fairly well signed, but keep your eyes peeled and check the alternate pin positions if you get stuck. Sometimes the next hole is by one of those instead.
Other Thoughts: This course is just west of town, near St. Martens. It was about a 15 minute drive from my hotel on the south end of town, so not bad at all.

I wouldn't call this a destination course at all, but it made for a very fun round and is worth stopping at if you're in the area! The scenery is nice and the walk through the woods is a lot of fun without being overly aggravating, even for a less experienced player.

Several of the tees were much farther away from the preceeding pins than most of the courses I've played. This can be both good and bad; if you get lost, look near the other pin positions. There's generally signs up on the trees to let you know where to go.

Stop by for a super fun round of DG if you're in the area, it's worth it!

Awesome Course

1    11/17/2012   11/17/2012
Review By: mkpjr37
Pros: Big tee pads, plenty of signs even if made up with regular paper 1st time ever played and flew thru course nice mix of shots one of the best flows to a course ive seen good tech shots good places to air out hyzer and anhyzer
Cons: random walkers, cant say much bad first time playing I like it compared to some of my home courses
Other Thoughts: i would try to find a way to add more pin locations as well as add a few new baskets maybe extra 9 on course

Nice diversity

2-4    3/27/2012   3/27/2012
Review By: cronek
Pros: Excellent variety of shots needed. Good use of the terrain. There are short holes and longs ones, too. Trees in play for many of the holes, but also a few wide open fields.
Cons: I agree with some other reviewers that par is marked too easy on some holes, but this could be due to currently close pin placement. There were some really muddy spots even though it had been several days since last rain. Had to pick carefully around marshy areas. Basket to next tee was sometimes quite a hike and need to watch out for 15 being on past 17 or you'll end up playing out of order.
Other Thoughts: Beautiful scenery all around the course. Even a camp ground right across the street if you want to stay and play a few days in a row.

Fun round

5+    5/20/2011   11/3/2011
Review By: dudiablo
Pros: Great shot diversity, you will definitely need to bring out your entire arsenal for this one if you want to score well.

Enough elevation change to keep things fun. hole 8 is a great example of this. Toss a wizard down the hill and start begging for chains.

Immaculate upkeep. Whoever keeps the course clean does a great job. Grass is cut every time I roll through town.

The course is laid out such that most every hole is able to be made in 2 with a good drive and a good put (that's not to say that birds are exactly easy here.)

Laid out in 2 loops, if you only wanna play 9 holes you are right by the parking lot after the front half.
Cons: Its been said time and time again that the 18th pin is nowhere near the parking area. True. But the most interesting holes are definitely on the back 9 and are well worth the walk back.

Course should probably be a par 54 course, having par 4s and 5s out there is a heck of a confidence builder when you shoot 10 down. It does make for a tough 54 though and a lot of fun when scored that way.
Other Thoughts: All I can say is that I wish I had more reasons to make trips either to or through Jefferson city because this course is absolutely worth the stop every time.

One of the most underrated courses I have played on this site. (I haven't played that many but this was the first one where I'm more than willing to give it a better rating than what its average already is.)

one of the best corses

5+    6/22/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: Derred Scheperle
Pros: This is one of the hardest corses ive ever played and iv played corses in many different states. You'll need a strong and accurate flick shot and back hand shot just to say the least! if you don't have either then I hope you have a great roller shot And you need to bring your Pro game as well any mess ups and you will be deep in the woods. There's a great variation of shots. This is the best corse ive ever played! I love how my dad lives just a couple miles down the road. They have brought. This corse so far sence the last time I played with the new bridges it makes it even better to play here. The corse is well layed out the tee pad are awesome huge. The tee signs are easy to read and are all there unlike a lot of corses ive played. The change in elevation shots are tricky a must if your looking for something challenging. The baskets are all dga my favorite I think there the best!
Cons: During the summer it gets super hot so you'll need to bring a couple gallons of water with you so you don't pass out. There's really nouthing bad to say about the corse at all!
Other Thoughts: This corse is well maintained. The baskets are moved to different locations regulary. Just to start. I love playing this corse you don't have people in the way Like you in corses that are located in a lot of other parks. I hope you play this cores and have a ton of fun and if you can't get out there make sure you make plans to do so! Jefferson city strives for the best and you can truly tell here.

Great Course

5+    8/25/2011   8/25/2011
Review By: Mind Expansi0n
This review was updated on 11/26/2011
Pros: Challenging holes of all lengths from 200ft-600ft, requires a versatile backhand or a backhand with a forehand/overhand, concrete tee-pads, top notch maintenance, white poles indicating where alternative basket placements would be, trash cans at nearly every tee, beautiful baskets that haven't seen much wear yet, stunning natural Missouri landscape (small rolling hills and old growth trees - with prairies in between clumps),
Cons: The tee-pads are a little short, the route to the next hole can be tricky (look for arrows on trees and follow beaten paths), no indication from the tee of what placement the basket is in on a given day, the real rough stuff can get sticky with thorns and other nasty things, hasn't been in the ground long enough to have that 'nicely worn in' feel.
Other Thoughts: Difficulty: Intermediate - Pro. I typically play the courses in Columbia (30 minutes north), and this course compares very favorably. It's well taken care of (nicely done Jefferson City parks dept.), quieter than the Columbia parks, and features alot of old growth areas and clearings that make for a great mix of finesse and power as you play a round. The front 9 is packed pretty tightly into an area of land with long clearings and huge clumps of trees, while the back 9 has some longer holes and is more spread out. A great mix of open and wooded areas really makes this a players course (requiring lines, accuracy, shot variety, and good length). This is a great course for novices to pros - but might be a bit much for newbies. Hole #8 may be the best hole in the central Missouri area - a wide open, gentle downhill 310ft to a basket sitting visibly in the tree line directly straight ahead from the tee. Basically you are teeing off from a wooded hill across a beautiful sloping pasture to the bottom; gorgeous.

First out of town course

1    8/28/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: bigt
Pros: Nice concrete tee pads but they are a little short.

Nice new bridge to get to the back side

Great basket locations that make you pay for a mistake
Cons: Long walk back to the parking lot after 18

Tee pads could be longer
Other Thoughts: Look forward to playing this course again after I get some playing time under my belt

Meh?

1    9/10/2010   9/15/2010
Review By: redbirdfaninkc
This review was updated on 11/27/2010
Pros: Well maintained, good variety of holes. I would play again, with some exceptions.
Cons: Location of some baskets makes absolutely no sense. Too many holes that require throwing into a forest of trees or out of a forrest. I'm just not lucky enough to miss every tree.
Other Thoughts: My wife accompanied me, not to play but just to walk along. On hole nine the basket was located at a setting across a creek. The only way to get to the hole that we could see was to go down the bank and back up the other side. The only way across the creek(that we knew of) was by stepping down using a trees roots and some smooth rocks. She decided to go first and fell. She cut her hand catching her fall. I just want to know who thinks it's a good idea to put a basket in a location like that when there were better options for it's location?

Doing work

1    8/23/2010   8/23/2010
Review By: green_hornet915
Pros: Nice tight hole locations on the front nine take your time and there are many ace run holes. The longer but open back still takes careful shots to navigate to the basket. Multiple hole placements, concrete pads and good signage.
Cons: Concrete pads could be a bit longer in my opinion. Some of the work being done on front nine would be very muddy if it would rain. The walk past seventeen would be confusing to someone playing for the first time.
Other Thoughts: Meet a local Brian I have to thank him for guiding me through his home course made it very enjoyable not having to scout every hole.

Enjoyable, but challenging

1    8/13/2010   8/19/2010
Review By: ukebork
Pros: Really liked the layout. Lots of variety, and easy enough for a beginning hack like me. But not TOO easy, so it gives me an incentive to go back to do better.
Cons: As other reviewers have said, do not like that after 18, there is a little walk to get back to parking, but it really isn't that bad. Don't like trees, or the gully, but I'm just whining.
Other Thoughts: Thanks to Todd for taking me out and showing me the course!