Yadkinville, NC
3 / 196ft.   3 / 237ft.   3 / 291ft.   3 / 292ft. Par / Distance:

< Prev 1 2 3 4

1    8/23/2014   8/26/2014
Review By: reposado
Pros: Yadkin had both so much more elevation than expected and so much more variety. Wooded holes, open holes and almost all of them up and down. The thing about including open holes is that they need to be interesting open holes. For me that usually means elevation change, and that is what you get at Yadkin. It starts out in the open for five holes. 6 presents a tight wooded fairway that heads downhill. 7 is a little bit looser but heads back uphill to the field on the opposite side of the woods, where 8 and 9 provide real opportunities to air it out downfield.
As much as the elevation make the course, two of my favorite holes have virtually none. 12 and 13 play on opposite sides of a creek. Both feature multiple turns as you must navigate trees on both sides of the fairway while avoiding landing in the water.
The best hole here is 16. This one is the counterpart of 6. It's heading back down towards the creek, taking you toward the finish. Only this one is a long way down. A tight thread through the woods that needs to get left at the end and still finds the basket just beyond the creek. Tough hole, unique challenge. The runner-up is 17. You climb back up that slope you just threw down, partially and then throw across the valley and creek and then climb to a basket just on the edge of the woods. Great pair of holes.
Yadkin is very well appointed, with tee signs that indicate all basket positions and clearly marks which is current. Thank you. The tees are great. Perfectly sized cement pads, occasionally decorated with shrubbery or flowers. Benches are ever-present and navigation should cause issues for no one. It's also a very scenic park conveniently located near the highway.
Cons: I wanted to give this course a four pretty badly when I was finished but in calm reflection, the front nine doesn't warrant it. Not that the front nine is bad, in truth while the back nine is a 4.0, the first half of the course is a 3.25. It's mostly open, and though variety is good, and there is solid elevation even here, it's just a little too bland. I might have thought differently if the baskets were in the deep position but they weren't and I just felt I wanted a little more from each hole. Nice hills though and most of them involved throwing up or down something.
It does share the potential flaws of all courses that rotate baskets. They aren't all equal and sometimes you get the worse ones. I have a feeling that if I had encountered this course with all baskets in ideal positions, I would have given it a four. But I don't know for sure since I never saw that layout, if it ever exists.

Challenging

5+    6/27/2014   6/28/2014
Review By: MammalSauce
Pros: **There is an optional 9 hole deep woods course called "The Outback" located next to the pad of hole 9!!**

Main 18: Well laid out course with pin signs on every hole (except for The Outback).
This challenging course will make you a better player.
Cons: You will become a hiker playing this course.
Other Thoughts: I didn't know "The Outback" 9 hole course existed the first few times I played here; I ran into a park employee playing and he told me about it. It is a great deep woods course with very technical lines and some thick foliage that make it that much harder. Although some of the fairways are slightly overgrown from lack of use, it is still very playable. They use a pin setup called "Tone Poles": hollow metal cylinders open on the bottom with chains hanging from above give a nice *ring* when you strike them.

Main 18: One of only four courses I've played, only been playing for a few months, and it has made me a better player very quickly due to difficult lines and narrow fairways on some holes.

Love this course

2-4    10/12/2014   11/11/2013
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
This review was updated on 10/13/2014
Pros: Great mix of terrain. Not too many wooded holes, not too many open.

Great signage and navigation

Different pin placements will make it a great place to return to.

EDIT: The Outback! There's a great little 9-hole loop after #9 that goes through some very tight fairways and has tone poles instead of baskets. Super fun.
Cons: The tee signs need to tell you which position the basket is in. A lot of times we had to eliminate the ones that it obviously couldn't be and figure, "it must be B for this hole."

EDIT: Not sure if we missed it last year or what but the signs actually DO tell you the placement. And that's one of the best features of the course, the multiple pin placements on every hole.
Other Thoughts: I really enjoyed this course. If you make your shots, you will score well. It's great to see an established course like this that really gets used. We played on a busy, beautiful (though kind of windy) Sunday afternoon and everyone we met was friendly and cool. As we were about to head into the woods on Hole 5 a guy said, the next few holes will blow your mind, man. Not quite true, but I applaud the sentiment. Hole 5 will break your leg if you go off the front of the teepad, though.

Great course

2-4    6/22/2013   6/23/2013
Review By: YoMambaSoFly
Pros: Well manicured course, nice tee pads, great scenery, fairly easy to navigate. Had lots of fun playing and was definitely challenging without being absurdly challenging. Shot a 51 first round, not too shabby!!!
Cons: It would be nice if pin placements were posted each time they are changed, don't get me wrong I love the multiple pin placements but maybe if there was a way to mark the signage as to what pins are used at each hole just to make a round flow a little smoother. Like a little magnet on each sign over the used pin placement since some holes have up to five pin placements?
Other Thoughts: Gonna hit it again tomorrow!!!

Worthwhile Stop off US421

1    10/25/2012   10/28/2012
Review By: der Turkey Vulture
Pros: Easily accessed from US421.
Dedicated DG area, set apart from the rest of the park.
Solid mix of open and wooded holes.
Elevation plays a role.
With up to 4 pin locations on most holes, it can be a different experience often.
Minor water hazzards.
Well laid out course.
Cons: Would like to see some tee cards available.
Some really long holes for mere par 3.

Fun course but safety issues

1    9/1/2012   9/1/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: The biggest thing this course has going for it is the mix of open and wooded holes. it is well balanced in that way.

It was in no way hard to navigate and it was always pretty obvious where the next tee was or where the basket was.

There are multiple basket locations which means this course can be set up differantly every time(not all sunshine here though see cons)

Very beautiful park.

A nice not too overwelming use of elevation.

Teesigns were very nice as well as the teepad and they were always accurate with which position was being used.

benches on every hole.
Cons: Well as I said in the pros this course has many options to play which can be good if the options are safe ones. several of the new positions (which I assume have been added over the years to add difficulty) seem to mess with the flow of the course and can cause safety isses. For example when hole 1 is in the longest position you must double back down either 1's or 2's fairway to get to 2's teepad. as far as danger hole 5 longs best option is to throw right over the top of hole 3's basket and hole 17's basket is not very far away if you RHBH hyzer out early thus causing many issues.

Several of the holes could use a little high limb trimming

Other Thoughts: This course was fun and I feel that if it were in other set ups than it was when I played it I may have given it a higher review. However with the dangers and issues I saw with those few holes it made me dock it a half point or so.

I feel like the designers may have messed too much with a good thing with some of there positions.

Still I would recommend anyone to go out of there way to play this one as it was very fun. A great 1 2 combo with Highland hills

FUN START

2-4    8/4/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: DC Bombsquad
This review was updated on 8/10/2012
Pros: -Good Mix of open and wooden holes.
-Elevation changes were ok. Would like a few more.
-Great course to get Hooked on Disc Golf with.
-Starts off easier and gets harder as you go.
-Multiple pin locations make playing it each time a new adventure.
Cons: -Water buckets would be nice.
-Practice basket would be nice to warm up on.
-Watch out for posion ivy, and mosquitos!
Other Thoughts: Great course to get started and hooked on disc golf too. Shaved 6 throws off my score from the first to the second round.

Glad I played it

1    5/8/2012   5/9/2012
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - great variety (as mentioned is all reviews). More so wooded/open, elevation changes (you cannot tell from the parking lot what you get to experience on the course.
- variety (part II) with multiple possible pin placements. Don't be intimidated by the 60 or so pins on the course map. The signage is good and the pin placement is marked on each sign. I have only played once, but I'm pretty sure many of the holes would play completely different with the pin in an alternate location
- There are good benches at every hole.
- the course is moderately challenging - fair enough that if you throw accurately you should par on every hole. I'm sure with repetition and leading the local lines, you could play for birdie on many holes.
- it is conveniently located off 421.
Cons: - the park is kind of "worn". The wooed holes were fine, I had a little bit of difficulty on the open holes because the "fields" we're slightly overgrown. When looking at them, you think - sweet, open shot, but if your disc lands out of sight, it can take a bit of time.
- more nitpicky, if you play this course regularly I'm sure this is not an issue, but some of the pin placements on blind holes don't quite seem like they correlate with the sign. I was playing behind some locals (which was perfect because I could see where the pin was), but they let me play through. One specifically, 16 I believe, is a downhill, over a creek and then back up. I read the pin placement as straight to slightly right, when it was actually dogleg left. I know, I I would had walked the course. I would have seen it, buti didn't. Just a nitpick.
- for being a park, unfortunately the amenities (restrooms, water?) we're not close to the DGC.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed this course. I had a few extra minutes, so I trekked the 45 minutes out of the way to play. It's a little out of the way - don't know if I would plan a stop or hit it up regularly, but if the opportunity presented itself, I would definitely play again. I know someone didn't like hole 3 - I did. On that course, where there are no other "open field shots" (at least in the config I played) it was a refreshing "ace-run" ) who am I kidding......, a birdie opportunity! The course is well worn. I think playing it in the winter would it down on my minor quibble about fields being overgrown. To rate it higher, I would like to see a little more length. I played in the mostly long position and shot a +3. (my RHBH ~250, thumber ~275').

awesome play

5+    5/4/2012   5/5/2012
Review By: Pancarfan
This review was updated on 5/13/2012
Pros: This is a great course, well maintained, varying hole styles. It is very challenging and fun to play on. We attempt to play as often as possible. It has signs at every tee box and a large sign with a layout of the whole course on it at the beginning. Best course in Yadkin or Wilkes County by far.
Cons: Tight fairways and could use more markers and parking. Too many beer cans and trash thrown on ground and dope heads need to keep there drugs at home.
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course if you are ever in the area.

Great Rec to Int.Course

1    3/31/2012   4/2/2012
Review By: KniceZ
Pros: Very nice pads
- wide and long enough for most run-ups
- #6 was short but it was limited by terrain.
Very good signs
- good detail on trees & pins
- indicator for current pin location
Great mix of shots
- open / wooded, up / down,
Nice use of terrain and small stream
- Good to have some OB & water hazard without risk of loosing a disc
Cons: Probably not difficult enough to keep advanced players interested. There are a lot of birdie opportunities.

Only one tee location

#3 is just an open field bore. Not even very long, just slightly up hill.

There's some issues with errosion at some pin locations. Some mulch or ground cover inside the circle and some terracing would really bump this course up a notch.
Other Thoughts: This course is located on a very nice local park yet the other park activities really don't interfere much.

While this course may not be difficult enough for some, I found it enjoyable and would be happy to have it as my local course.

< Prev 1 2 3 4