Yadkinville, NC
3 / 228ft.   3 / 304ft.   3 / 337ft.   3 / 390ft. Par / Distance:

1 2 3 Next >

1    11/26/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: airforcechck
Pros: Spread out and has some good challenges. There was a box that was supposed to have maps but I assume they were just out. No real water sources to lose your disc in, just a really small creek. The had flags at most of the tee locations. The park is well maintained. It starts out sort tees, some of the shots are a bit longer. You do get to play in and out of the woods. There was one hole that if you don't throw right it could go down a hill next to a soccer field.
Cons: You can easily miss the little arrows they put on some of the trees directing you to the next tee. Then there was one hole that you couldn't fully tell which catcher you were aiming for since there was two fairly close but for separate holes.

Just plain fun

2-4    6/11/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 4/9/2011
Pros: Great wooded holes, 12, 13, and 17 were quality. Great tunnel holes with a creek in play. Some good open holes, one has a great down hill view of wooded Yadkin Co. (# 9 I think). Beautiful park literally right off the highway. Nice Innova Discatcher baskets. Most holes make great use of elevation. Doesn't seem to get crowded. Great layout in terms of variety and little risk hitting other players or crossing fairways. Easy enough to find next hole. More than a few blind holes (annoying the first time you play but great challenge after repeated plays). Most holes had benches.
Cons: No signage at all. The first 8 or so holes were a bit uninspiring, mildly boring open holes.

Wouldn't hate a bench on every hole but I'm nitpicking.
Other Thoughts: Update: All holes have very well done concrete tees. That boosts the fun factor quite a bit. Good job Yadkin Co. DG Club.

As others mentioned the course starts slow and ends with a bang. For me, the course was meh until # 9, # 10 was meh, and then # 11 on to 18 were great (and coincidentally more wooded with creek in play). If even 3/5 of the course were of the quality of the last 6 holes this would have been a 4 disc for me.

It is a great course though in terms of playability and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

If you disagree with the rating, message me and I might change my mind.

1    5/23/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - As others have said, this course gets better as it goes. By about hole #6 on, the course started growing on me.

- I really enjoyed the wooded holes. There was a lot of variety to those, and the creek running through many of those added a nice touch.

- My favorite wooded hole was #12, which seems to have a little of everything. It brings some elevation and water into play (in the form of the creek), and it really challenges you to throw a smart, accurate shot.

- The course had some great elevation changes and utilized those nicely, I think.

- Benches are a plus for a course that works you out as much as this one, so I definitely appreciated that.

- This is coming from someone who's used to trashier courses in the Charlotte area, but I appreciated the cleanliness of this course. You can tell that the locals really take care of it, as do much of the patrons.

- Easily accessible off Highway 421, which definitely makes me more likely to play it again if I'm ever traveling that way.
Cons: - I'll echo the sentiments about the dirt tee pads. It's a small thing, but any little thing is a distraction when you're trying to tee off. I've gotten picky and perhaps a little spoiled by some good tee pads in my home courses because I notice any little thing now.

- Navigation was a bit of a hassle. A few holes at the beginning of the round had flags at the tee with the hole # on them, but then those magically disappeared a few holes later (when you really needed them). Many holes in the middle of the course seemed to crisscross each other, and that made tee location a bit of an adventure. To be fair, I get the impression that it gets a lot easier to navigate the course the more you play it.

- Also mentioned before was the fact that you sometimes can't tell where the basket is from the tee. That's another bonus to signs because some courses give you a map of the hole and/or the distance. Here, we had no clue where we were throwing, and we had to take a few minutes to hunt down the basket a few times. That gets to be a little frustrating.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I enjoyed this course. The main problems I had are issues that go away after you play it a couple of times. With some better tee pads, this course could really become top-notch.

Nice Stop

1    5/21/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: sloshed
Pros: Fair Course upkeep
Good risk reward
Fair mix of open/wooded
Great use of elevation
Cons: Signage--none
lack of facilites
tee pads seem to be getting pretty bad
Other Thoughts: Wife and i played this one on vacation.
Its not hard to navigate, but directional and hole signs would be nice. I would recomend this one.

1    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: The course is like a boiling pot of water. It starts out really slow, but by the time you're done, it's got you hooked full-force.
- Good variety of holes. Some of the wooded holes are tight, but they're still fair. Instead of pulling out the driver, and risking going deep into the woods, throwing a mid-range disc twice will get you to the basket for your par.
- Elevation changes present real challenge on several holes- notable #6, 7, 16 & 17.
- Course puts a higher premium on accuracy than length. On some holes, make sure your approach shots land real soft and/or don't go long, or your disc may roll a long ways away.
- I can see how this course grows on players. There's some obvious problems with the course (see below), but once you get familiar with everything, it'd be easy to only focus on the good things the course has to offer.
Cons: The beginning of the course is disappointing compared to the rest of the course. I can see why so many people talk highly about the course, but they're clearly focusing on the last 10 holes, and ignoring the first 8. In the first 8 holes, you have too many open holes (with little or no trees in play) that present little challenge. It wasn't until the long, downhill #9 that I finally felt the true taste of the course.
- Dirt tee pads are really poor. Too much lose gravel makes it hard to get good footing. To give the course it's due justice, #11 is a paved tee. I guess it's baby steps.
- No tee signs presented several problems: not knowing where the basket was, not knowing the hole distance, and not always knowing where the next hole was.
Commenting on this problem in order On several holes I had to walk almost all the way to the hole to see the basket or know which basket was for that hole due to seeing multiple baskets on the tee. You can usually estimate distances pretty good, but it's frustrating throwing 50 feet short (or long) because you think the hole is about 250 feet instead of 300 (or vice versa). It was difficult spotting the next tee after several holes, either due to not being seen or seeing several tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This really felt like 2 courses in one. 1 - 8 felt like the appetizer and 9 - 18 were the real-deal main course. If the first 8 holes were as good as the last 10, it'd be one of the best courses around. Instead, I felt a little disappointed because I didn't get the whole thing.
- I'd rate holes 1 - 8 a 2.5, and 9 - 10 a solid 3.5 - 4. For regulars at the course, the lack of tee signs is probably not a big deal, but for a first time player, like I was, or the very infrequent player, it's a hindrance.
- My 2 favorite holes were #9 and #12. #9 is a long, downhill hole, #12 a tighter s-curve through the woods. They're two different types of holes, but they both show what the course has to offer.
- The course is an hour north of Charlotte, and it's a trip worth taking for anyone in the area.

A+ = Top Shelf!

5+    7/23/2007   4/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up (in the long configuration):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+ (For a par-3 course there is perfect balance of early trouble and late trouble)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+ (The only hole I don't have high hopes of deuce opportunity is such a unique and spectacular hole that it does not matter....I forget the hole number. The rest are a perfect variation to match my style and taste. So many of the holes are hard enough that birdies will not happen without perfect execution.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+ (As good as it gets with a perfect variety of shapes, tunnels, up, down, etc.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A (Almost perfect....beautiful, quite and most of the course feels quite secluded )
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

The addiction factor is sky high on this course for me!
Cons: None that are important to me.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Yadkin

5+    9/11/2008   1/21/2009
Review By: _.-Dut-._
Pros:
-Great use of elevation
-Multiple pin locations
-Beautiful park
-Great variety of shots
-Challenging OB lines next to creek
-Great locals
Cons:
-Some of the teepads are worn
-First time can be tricky to navigate
Other Thoughts: This course offers a great selection of open air to tight technical wooded shots. Lots of elevation thru the course and is very well taken care of and clean. Great course with great locals, a must play.

Nice Pit Stop...

1    1/8/2009   1/9/2009
Review By: tomschillin
Pros: Great use of the land provided, while there is plenty more land surrounding to expand, the use of the creek on 10-14, the up and down hills throughout, the tunnel shots both right and left turns...it's a really fun little technical course. It's kinda short, which is good for my short arm. There are lots of benches to relax on and nice DisCatcher baskets. I really enjoyed 6 (tight down-hill through thick woods with a creek in play behind the basket). Although it is a short course, there are a few (maybe 3) holes that you can really rip it (5 & 18 for sure). 18 especially is a nice way to finish off the round, starts on the top of a hill and follows the wood line down to the creek finishing maybe 400 feet from tee with about a 40-50 elevation drop...not a lot of traffic to this course it seems, which i definitely consider a pro...and course navigation was relatively easy for us first-timers, it's a kind of double loop type layout...kinda...
Cons: The tee pads sucked, there was one concrete and the rest were some asphalty gravel mix that had been raked or maintained at all. THERE ARE NO SIGNS, at all...not even one at the beginning of the course letting you know that the course is there. I didn't notice any facilities at the park, although I'm sure there were somewhere, just not near the course.
Other Thoughts: It's 90 seconds off the highway, literally, and it's almost the halfway point between Raleigh and Boone, so it's a great way to stretch out the legs while driving to the slopes! If this course added some tee pads and signs i would definitely rate it a 4...my short arm and I had a blast...

5+    11/12/2008   11/12/2008
Review By: Mando
This review was updated on 2/16/2009
Pros: The middle of the course is wooded with a small creek running through it. The wooded half of the course has great holes with good flow. I love #6 !
You can re-load at your car midway through the round which is always a plus. Easily accessible from 1-77 and a great pit stop on a road trip. Strong disc golf community. Seldom crowded.
Nice blend of open and wooded holes.
Cons: The open holes are just ok design-wise in my book. Cedar trees are scattered around the open holes eat discs, but there is long bamboo stick to help retrieve them.

Awesome Course Amongst Many in Yadkin Co.

5+    11/9/2008   11/12/2008
Review By: Tyson
Pros: This is course is in my top 5-10 in the state. Open and wooded mix. perfect fairways, well manicured. Yadkin Co. loves disc golf and it shows with this gem. Yadkin Co. is the only county in NC with more disc gofl courses than ball golf courses. There are 4 outstanding courses, 3 of which are private. This course has Innova Disccathers, on every hole, mulitple pin placesments, very good layout and a 54 is a good score. Not much else to ask for.
Cons: Not much to say here.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the orginal disc golf hot beds and there is a few old pole holes throughout the course (that arent in play) but are there to show the history of the sport. Great touch and locals are the best I have ever met.

1 2 3 Next >