Yadkinville, NC
3 / 211ft.   3 / 241ft.   3 / 303ft.   3 / 303ft. Par / Distance:

Not Friendly

1    6/11/2010   6/14/2010
Review By: ski daredevil
Pros: Baskets were nicely marked. Variety of terrain to be played on.
Cons: Not meant for beginners to learn how to play. Very discouraging to play course if it was the course closes to me I would probable give up playing. No map to show the lay out of course. Tees are not market and hard to determine were they should be.
Other Thoughts: Most of the course is located in the woods that is load with poison ivy and thorn bushes. Play over a creek and down step hill in the words for hole 6. Hole 5 is along the woods some what in the clearing.

Challenging and Rewarding

1    5/29/2010   5/29/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: Wonderful course in a quiet park. We had a good time on this course even though it was the last on our on stop for the day. The first three holes are very reminiscent of Cedarock in Burlington, NC and they somewhat lull you into what you think is going to be a casual round. The real fun starts on hole 6, which is where the first major elevation change comes into play. I loved six with it's long downhill, across a little creek and then an uphill approach to the basket with a slight bend to the left.

Number nine is a long bomb to the pin with it concealed by some small pines in an open grassy field. Ten is similar and eleven has little creek crossing. Thirteen was a cool little hole that if not careful you will be chipping in from the bottom of the creek as the basket sits right on the edge of the creek and it is elevated. Course was memorable and we are looking forward to playing it again. The course board at the start has a load of information about all the various tourneys and other courses in the area. You can also post your lost disc there.
Cons: The lack of tee markers was the biggest detractor for me. Also, When playing hole eleven it is possible to get basket thirteen confused as the basket to aim for since the basket for eleven is actually across the creek. There was an abundance of empty beer cans and beer bottles when we played and I am not sure if this is norm or not but, it is kind of unsightly.
Other Thoughts: This would be a great course to combine with one of the awesome homegrowns or Horizons Park in the vicinity for a great day of disc golfing.

one of the best

1    4/17/2010   4/17/2010
Review By: Behindatree
Pros: Excellent course that presents a wide variety of challenges. Several holes(8,13,16 in particular) make you want to pick up your discs and play it again and again. Lots of elevation changes and combinations of a big up/down with a big turn. Several blind tee shots are a good challenge. Ran into some very friendly people there. I arrived just before the weekly doubles tourney was starting and there was a good crowd of players there who were all very helpful. One player even pulled a map out of his bag to give to me when I told them I it was my first time on the course. I was invited to play the tourney with them several times and I wish I would have accepted because I had a great round. This course is about an hour and a half from my house but believe me I will be back any chance I get.
Cons: If it weren't for the map it would be very hard to navigate. The first few holes aren't very challenging but does provide variety to the rest of the course. Aside from navigating the course finding the course itself is somewhat a challenge.
Other Thoughts: There were a few small bridges to cross the creek that felt a bit sketchy but since I'm 285lbs I won't list it as a con.

2-4    12/14/2009   1/14/2010
Review By: Trey133
Pros: Course has multiple pin positions to mix things up.
Great league monthlys.
Elevation change galore! Really fun up and downs.
Great mix of wooded and open holes.
Some very pretty holes that can easily stand out as signature shots.
Cons: No concrete pads.
No map that I know of, i've played it a couple of times and still get lost.
No signage on the course for hole layout.
Directions to other teepads would be helpful, but aren't there.
Other Thoughts: There is an original tone pole after hole 13 which I think is pretty neat. If you can play good on this course, then you can hit gaps all day! There is one shot that pretty much feels like you're throwing off of a mountain top!

1    11/26/2009   12/1/2009
Review By: airforcechck
Pros: Spread out and has some good challenges. There was a box that was supposed to have maps but I assume they were just out. No real water sources to lose your disc in, just a really small creek. The had flags at most of the tee locations. The park is well maintained. It starts out sort tees, some of the shots are a bit longer. You do get to play in and out of the woods. There was one hole that if you don't throw right it could go down a hill next to a soccer field.
Cons: You can easily miss the little arrows they put on some of the trees directing you to the next tee. Then there was one hole that you couldn't fully tell which catcher you were aiming for since there was two fairly close but for separate holes.

Just plain fun

2-4    6/11/2009   6/11/2009
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 4/9/2011
Pros: Great wooded holes, 12, 13, and 17 were quality. Great tunnel holes with a creek in play. Some good open holes, one has a great down hill view of wooded Yadkin Co. (# 9 I think). Beautiful park literally right off the highway. Nice Innova Discatcher baskets. Most holes make great use of elevation. Doesn't seem to get crowded. Great layout in terms of variety and little risk hitting other players or crossing fairways. Easy enough to find next hole. More than a few blind holes (annoying the first time you play but great challenge after repeated plays). Most holes had benches.
Cons: No signage at all. The first 8 or so holes were a bit uninspiring, mildly boring open holes.

Wouldn't hate a bench on every hole but I'm nitpicking.
Other Thoughts: Update: All holes have very well done concrete tees. That boosts the fun factor quite a bit. Good job Yadkin Co. DG Club.

As others mentioned the course starts slow and ends with a bang. For me, the course was meh until # 9, # 10 was meh, and then # 11 on to 18 were great (and coincidentally more wooded with creek in play). If even 3/5 of the course were of the quality of the last 6 holes this would have been a 4 disc for me.

It is a great course though in terms of playability and I don't hesitate to recommend it.

If you disagree with the rating, message me and I might change my mind.

1    5/23/2009   5/29/2009
Review By: JD Heel
Pros: - As others have said, this course gets better as it goes. By about hole #6 on, the course started growing on me.

- I really enjoyed the wooded holes. There was a lot of variety to those, and the creek running through many of those added a nice touch.

- My favorite wooded hole was #12, which seems to have a little of everything. It brings some elevation and water into play (in the form of the creek), and it really challenges you to throw a smart, accurate shot.

- The course had some great elevation changes and utilized those nicely, I think.

- Benches are a plus for a course that works you out as much as this one, so I definitely appreciated that.

- This is coming from someone who's used to trashier courses in the Charlotte area, but I appreciated the cleanliness of this course. You can tell that the locals really take care of it, as do much of the patrons.

- Easily accessible off Highway 421, which definitely makes me more likely to play it again if I'm ever traveling that way.
Cons: - I'll echo the sentiments about the dirt tee pads. It's a small thing, but any little thing is a distraction when you're trying to tee off. I've gotten picky and perhaps a little spoiled by some good tee pads in my home courses because I notice any little thing now.

- Navigation was a bit of a hassle. A few holes at the beginning of the round had flags at the tee with the hole # on them, but then those magically disappeared a few holes later (when you really needed them). Many holes in the middle of the course seemed to crisscross each other, and that made tee location a bit of an adventure. To be fair, I get the impression that it gets a lot easier to navigate the course the more you play it.

- Also mentioned before was the fact that you sometimes can't tell where the basket is from the tee. That's another bonus to signs because some courses give you a map of the hole and/or the distance. Here, we had no clue where we were throwing, and we had to take a few minutes to hunt down the basket a few times. That gets to be a little frustrating.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I enjoyed this course. The main problems I had are issues that go away after you play it a couple of times. With some better tee pads, this course could really become top-notch.

Nice Stop

1    5/21/2009   5/28/2009
Review By: sloshed
Pros: Fair Course upkeep
Good risk reward
Fair mix of open/wooded
Great use of elevation
Cons: Signage--none
lack of facilites
tee pads seem to be getting pretty bad
Other Thoughts: Wife and i played this one on vacation.
Its not hard to navigate, but directional and hole signs would be nice. I would recomend this one.

1    5/23/2009   5/26/2009
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: The course is like a boiling pot of water. It starts out really slow, but by the time you're done, it's got you hooked full-force.
- Good variety of holes. Some of the wooded holes are tight, but they're still fair. Instead of pulling out the driver, and risking going deep into the woods, throwing a mid-range disc twice will get you to the basket for your par.
- Elevation changes present real challenge on several holes- notable #6, 7, 16 & 17.
- Course puts a higher premium on accuracy than length. On some holes, make sure your approach shots land real soft and/or don't go long, or your disc may roll a long ways away.
- I can see how this course grows on players. There's some obvious problems with the course (see below), but once you get familiar with everything, it'd be easy to only focus on the good things the course has to offer.
Cons: The beginning of the course is disappointing compared to the rest of the course. I can see why so many people talk highly about the course, but they're clearly focusing on the last 10 holes, and ignoring the first 8. In the first 8 holes, you have too many open holes (with little or no trees in play) that present little challenge. It wasn't until the long, downhill #9 that I finally felt the true taste of the course.
- Dirt tee pads are really poor. Too much lose gravel makes it hard to get good footing. To give the course it's due justice, #11 is a paved tee. I guess it's baby steps.
- No tee signs presented several problems: not knowing where the basket was, not knowing the hole distance, and not always knowing where the next hole was.
Commenting on this problem in order On several holes I had to walk almost all the way to the hole to see the basket or know which basket was for that hole due to seeing multiple baskets on the tee. You can usually estimate distances pretty good, but it's frustrating throwing 50 feet short (or long) because you think the hole is about 250 feet instead of 300 (or vice versa). It was difficult spotting the next tee after several holes, either due to not being seen or seeing several tee pads.
Other Thoughts: This really felt like 2 courses in one. 1 - 8 felt like the appetizer and 9 - 18 were the real-deal main course. If the first 8 holes were as good as the last 10, it'd be one of the best courses around. Instead, I felt a little disappointed because I didn't get the whole thing.
- I'd rate holes 1 - 8 a 2.5, and 9 - 10 a solid 3.5 - 4. For regulars at the course, the lack of tee signs is probably not a big deal, but for a first time player, like I was, or the very infrequent player, it's a hindrance.
- My 2 favorite holes were #9 and #12. #9 is a long, downhill hole, #12 a tighter s-curve through the woods. They're two different types of holes, but they both show what the course has to offer.
- The course is an hour north of Charlotte, and it's a trip worth taking for anyone in the area.

A+ = Top Shelf!

5+    7/23/2007   4/26/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up (in the long configuration):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+ (For a par-3 course there is perfect balance of early trouble and late trouble)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A+ (The only hole I don't have high hopes of deuce opportunity is such a unique and spectacular hole that it does not matter....I forget the hole number. The rest are a perfect variation to match my style and taste. So many of the holes are hard enough that birdies will not happen without perfect execution.)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+ (As good as it gets with a perfect variety of shapes, tunnels, up, down, etc.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A (Almost perfect....beautiful, quite and most of the course feels quite secluded )
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A

The addiction factor is sky high on this course for me!
Cons: None that are important to me.
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.