Greenville, NC
West Meadowbrook Park Share
Uploaded By: MichaelWebster Hole #10 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #10 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3

1    7/3/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: reposado
Pros: Fun course that should satisfy disc golf cravings on a daily basis. I'd categorize the course as park style and is mostly open with pockets of woods and brush that define that fairways and force almost every teeshot to be on a specific line for the basket to be reached. The actual fairway typically gives a lot of room to move the disc and flex it through open space. The course is flat but you will still have to throw pretty much everything in your arsenal as no two holes really use the same line.
For the most part easy to navigate and easy to play, West Meadowbrook aims for the intermediate player and really nailed the correct difficulty level.
Cons:
Totally flat and without real holes of interest, this isn't a course that should be sought out as a destination. Everyday course sure, but not the best course in town that needs to be experienced by travelling players. A few days post playing I'm struggling to think of what I really liked about. Don't get me wrong, it is a solid course, but the things that stand out are the negatives.
The course holds water. Hole 8 was completely underwater. I guess they found a replacement hole, but how to play the extra hole was not clear out there. Not a huge deal, just a single hole loss, but 8 looked like a fun one and the replacement hole seemed bleh. Other courses had wet fairways where other courses intown seemed dry at the time.
It also needs some pruning, especially in the tee areas. This isn't brush that is forcing your line. This is brush that is hanging over your head while standing on the tee or creeping on the back of the tee cancelling any run up. Not great.
Other Thoughts: Great example of a 2.75. Probably a 3.0 in better conditions and 2.5 in worse conditions. A little work, especially trimming around the tee areas, could make it a 3.

Worthy of Multiple Plays

5+    5/16/2016   5/18/2016
Review By: anhyzer09
Pros: Multiple tee pads on every hole, some having up to four. 20 holes is fun. Course is much more difficult from blues than reds. It's a great course to go work on your different throws. There is a little bit of everything as far as backhand, forehand, overhand and even a roller or two. It's a fun, quick round from whites and requires some really nice shots from blues.

Well maintained and never really gets out of hand with bushes or weeds.
Cons: Tee pads could be longer. Other than that, I think they did a great job with the space and maximizing it's potential. Only one hole feels out of place, which isn't really bad considering some courses can feel like 5 or more were just thrown in there.
Other Thoughts: Very excited about 8 & 9 being moved. Love the current layout, but with the move, they should be more playable in all weather conditions and new holes are always great!

Down East Players Cup is a must play B tier on this course every year!

Mixed Bag

1    5/15/2016   5/15/2016
Review By: Balzac
Pros: - Nice mixed of wooded holes and open shots
- Two tee pads for each hole
- Plenty of benches
- Neat mando on hole 10
Cons: - Holes 8 and 9 (8 especially) tend to stay very muddy for along time after rain - can be bad enough that 8 is unplayable
- Small tee pads
- Could use a little better signage to help newcomers navigate the course, such as from hole 7 to 8
-A few holes are relatively close to playground and baseball fields, so need to use caution when playing on weekends especially
- No water hazards but there is some thick brush in which you could easily lose a disc
Other Thoughts: Overall this is a nice but not spectacular course through mature woods. It feels very different than the ECU course, and I waiver back and forth which I like better. They are pretty close to each other as well so if you are visiting Greenville and have the time you should check out both.

A different view

1    3/3/2016   3/4/2016
Review By: KenanFlagler01
Pros: I'm not usually that out of whack with the rest of the crowd, but on this course, I am. It's a decent enough course, but no way would I say it's a high 3's, almost 4.0 course. There have not been many reviews in the last 2 years, so I'm wondering if the course has fallen on hard times. Regardless, as I played the course on March 3, 2016, I thought it was average, a 2.5 level course, and here's why:

PROS

1. Most of the course is very open. If you like this style of course, and being able to watch the flight of the disc on every hole, you will like West Meadowbrook.

2. Navigation was very simple with good signage and short walks from basket to the next tee.

3. The white and blue tees plus alt basket placements make for numerous approaches to each hole.

4. The man-made tunnel mando, where you have to throw through a square made of 2'x4's on your approach to a raised basket, is very unique.

5. No risk of disc loss here. It's very open and the rough didn't appear to be that bad.
Cons: 1. I played the white tees and they were way too small. No way to do your approach on the pad only. You have to start several feet back and finish on the pad, which I hate. The blue tees didn't appear to be any better.

2. Again, I played the white tees. In my opinion, these should be red tees. I shot under par and it was my first and only time playing the course. That NEVER happens for me on a white-level course. It's kind of a nitpick, but I think a more accurate assessment of this course would be to change the white tees to red and change the blue tees to white. If you're looking for an exceptionally challenging course, West Meadowbrook isn't that. It's a fun course, don't get me wrong, but not one that's going to really test the limits of your ability.

3. Hole 8 was completely under standing water: the tee, the fairway, and the basket. Totally unplayable. And the #9 tee was also under water.

4. I do enjoy open courses, so I thought I would like this one more, but there isn't a signature hole that really stood out to me. It's pretty repetitive.

5. The course and the area were not aesthetically pleasing. One of the things I like most about open style courses, at least the good ones, is that the grass is manicured, the scenery is nice, and it feels like you're on a ball golf course. West Meadowbrook is well maintained, but it's not much to look at.
Other Thoughts: I don't mean to be overly critical of this course. I'm probably coming across that way because I'm saying it's average while others have rated it "very good" to "excellent." It's not that, but it's definitely worth playing if you're in Greenville. It's convenient to downtown and ECU, it's well-maintained, it's easy to navigate, even if you've never played it before. But is it a "destination course" worthy of a 3.9 rating? Not in my book.

More Meadow than Brook

1    8/2/2015   8/9/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: West Meadowbrook Park was a solid course, and a good chance to regain some form and confidence after getting beaten down by some heavily wooded and often hilly North Carolina terrain earlier in the weekend. This course is flat but not entirely wide open. If you nail the drives, you should get birdie opportunities. If you miss slightly, you will probably still have a decent shot to at least save par. The layout is generally pretty logical, but I consulted the map I printed once or twice. Dual tees were all concrete, signage was posted at the red tees, and the baskets were all in nice shape. One extra hole thrown in between the baseball diamonds next to hole 7 and 8. I liked the placement of the holes around the clusters of trees and brush. You can get hung up in some heavy rough if you shank one, and there are a variety of lefts and rights, and some high and low lines. Given the landscape, the course designers did a great job.
Cons: There is a lot of open, grassy fairway, sunscreen may be advisable if you're prone to burn. Kind of a lot of litter on the ground. It looked like a few spots get pretty muddy after rainfall.
Other Thoughts: I thought West Meadowbrook Park was enjoyable, and would say it's worth playing if you're in the area. Not a 5 star, knock-out, must play, but fun and well equipped. My first and only round from the blue tees resulted in a 59, and I chumped out a couple of easy putts. I would say par would be 55 with a 611' hole 15, although the scorecard I printed called it a straight par 54. Anyway par is no dream here, even on the first visit. Sort of similar to Zebulon, but flatter, not quite as woodsy, and not nearly as clean and pristine.

Meadowbrook

5+    9/18/2014   9/19/2014
Review By: bigmikegervasi
Pros: Great technical shots.
Not to many long holes.
Great for forearm and back hand.
Cons: Lots of trash on the course!
Restroom hard to find.
Wish hole 9 was close to holes 1.
Other Thoughts: Over all a great course. My favorite in Greenville.

ecudg

1    4/7/2014   4/7/2014
Review By: Rmldchi
Pros: Very good flow. You always know its a great course when all the hippies show up. White and blue tee boxes are set up for two different experiences.
Cons: Holes 2, 3 and 4 can't be played if a group is playing soccer. Summer time the wooded areas are filled with thorns and poison ivy. But noting negative with the course.

Mixed Feelings

1    7/31/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout: This is one of those courses that has a lot going for it but then has all these little issues that kinda drag it down.

Overall it's a well balanced course that'll make you work the disc over varying lengths. There's an okay mixture of hole types. Most of the course is wider fairway to open although there are some pretty technical defined fairway shots.

There's two sets of tees (I only played the longs) and some holes have an alternate pin.

There's one true par 4 which is a great hole and some of the long pad to long pin holes pretty much play out as par 4's for most people.

The course does a good job of setting up solid tee and basket locations to give the more open holes some variety and difficulty. You often have to work the disc to hit a gap early or late.

I like the layout of the course overall given what is there. It flows pretty well and is reasonably intuitive.

Equipment - Older tee signs with basic hole layouts and distance shown. Benches on most holes. Baskets are aging but seemed to catch well.

Atmosphere - The park looks like it could be gorgeous and in some ways it still is. There's a few really nice looking holes. You do get a pretty secluded feeling in the back part of the course.

Cons: Layout - I don't have any huge problems with the layout. There's some uninspiring holes mixed in. Some holes that seem a bit overbearing mixed in with some that are to easy. The blues don't seem to be designed with one skill level in mind; although the alternate pins may have something to do with that.

A huge problem I see with this course is that where there are trees/woodlines it's complete jail full of briar, vines and little skinny trees. I can see a huge lost disc potential out there. In some cases this stuff is within the circle, certainly not something I'm a fan of.

Some of the holes seemed to be in a real tweener distance for most people, creating par 4's for those who don't have the length and skill to hit shots over 350'.

The course is flat, always a con in my book.

Equipment - The pads are mostly concrete (some are rubber) but small and often sandy. I think the signs need an updating.

Atmosphere - The course is not in the best part of town, I'm not saying to be scared but to be cautious and observant. We think we also ran in to an undercover who may or may not have had a fake beard.

It's one of those parks that you think man if they just put some love in it would be so beautiful. Like I said the wooded areas are being overgrown with vines and briars plus there is trash and glass everywhere.

This rundown element to the park is bad enough that I'm taking off points for it; and I haven't even gotten to the bugs yet. The bugs aren't part of the score but they're bad.
Other Thoughts: I was kind of let down by this course considering it's rating. It was my 100th course played and wish I would of hit 100 somewhere else.

Beyond that though I think the layout is well done and is still a good course that you should play at least once to see for yourself.

For me it's a 3.25 and I'm rounding down due to the cons I mentioned.

One of my favorites

5+    5/10/2013   7/27/2013
Review By: DaileyL10
Pros: The course has a great variety of shots, tees, and pin locations that keeps you interested even after many rounds. The shot distances from hole to hole are well balanced, back 9 has a little bit more distance. The course is fairly close to downtown, great place to play a casual round with friends or a quick solo playthrough. Nice practice basket at the beginning as well.
Cons: Course has hardly any elevation change, only holes with change are 16 and 17, both are downhill. In the summer months vegetation can get ridiculous, especially on 11/12 and 15. Lost a few discs on separate occasions so try to throw highly visible colors.
Other Thoughts: The course is on the edge of the ghetto, but there's not too much action so it's not a big deal. The course is beautiful Spring-Fall.

There are actually 20 holes, 15 Alt tees are hard left after finishing 14, basket between two trees in the direction of hole 6 basket. Hole 19 tees are by the playground right of Hole 18 fairway. Turn around after 18 and you should see a pad at the front left corner of the playground, Blue tee is on far side.

Much prefer to the new ECU course because the distance at WMP is much more manageable to a developing player like me.

My home away from home

5+    7/13/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: Roc'n that Wolf
Pros: -multiple tee pads on every hole.
-20 permanent holes.
-multiple line options on a lot of holes.
-three permanent tee pads on hole 8.
-four, yes 4!, permanent tee pads on hole 10
-tee signs on ever hole.
-two permanent baskets on hole 13.
-plenty of trash cans.
-good use of the land with holes varying in length and difficulty.
Cons: -pretty much assume the bathroom is never going to be unlocked.
-holes 2 and 3 become a soccer field in the afternoons.
-other than a large ditch behind the far pin placement on 17, no water comes in to play.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. It has something for every skill-level. The local club seems to always be on the course trying to make it look better. It is a great course to play if you are in North Carolina.

< Prev 1 2 3