Greenville, NC
West Meadowbrook Park Share
Uploaded By: MichaelWebster Hole #11 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #11 Blue Tee: Hole has two pin placements, short is in woods, long is in clearing beyond.

Mixed Feelings

1    7/31/2013   7/31/2013
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout: This is one of those courses that has a lot going for it but then has all these little issues that kinda drag it down.

Overall it's a well balanced course that'll make you work the disc over varying lengths. There's an okay mixture of hole types. Most of the course is wider fairway to open although there are some pretty technical defined fairway shots.

There's two sets of tees (I only played the longs) and some holes have an alternate pin.

There's one true par 4 which is a great hole and some of the long pad to long pin holes pretty much play out as par 4's for most people.

The course does a good job of setting up solid tee and basket locations to give the more open holes some variety and difficulty. You often have to work the disc to hit a gap early or late.

I like the layout of the course overall given what is there. It flows pretty well and is reasonably intuitive.

Equipment - Older tee signs with basic hole layouts and distance shown. Benches on most holes. Baskets are aging but seemed to catch well.

Atmosphere - The park looks like it could be gorgeous and in some ways it still is. There's a few really nice looking holes. You do get a pretty secluded feeling in the back part of the course.

Cons: Layout - I don't have any huge problems with the layout. There's some uninspiring holes mixed in. Some holes that seem a bit overbearing mixed in with some that are to easy. The blues don't seem to be designed with one skill level in mind; although the alternate pins may have something to do with that.

A huge problem I see with this course is that where there are trees/woodlines it's complete jail full of briar, vines and little skinny trees. I can see a huge lost disc potential out there. In some cases this stuff is within the circle, certainly not something I'm a fan of.

Some of the holes seemed to be in a real tweener distance for most people, creating par 4's for those who don't have the length and skill to hit shots over 350'.

The course is flat, always a con in my book.

Equipment - The pads are mostly concrete (some are rubber) but small and often sandy. I think the signs need an updating.

Atmosphere - The course is not in the best part of town, I'm not saying to be scared but to be cautious and observant. We think we also ran in to an undercover who may or may not have had a fake beard.

It's one of those parks that you think man if they just put some love in it would be so beautiful. Like I said the wooded areas are being overgrown with vines and briars plus there is trash and glass everywhere.

This rundown element to the park is bad enough that I'm taking off points for it; and I haven't even gotten to the bugs yet. The bugs aren't part of the score but they're bad.
Other Thoughts: I was kind of let down by this course considering it's rating. It was my 100th course played and wish I would of hit 100 somewhere else.

Beyond that though I think the layout is well done and is still a good course that you should play at least once to see for yourself.

For me it's a 3.25 and I'm rounding down due to the cons I mentioned.

great fun

5+    12/31/2009   12/31/2009
Review By: whiskeytreefrog
Pros: concrete tee's, good mix of short and long, open tight, left rights. lots of fun to play with shorter holes and chances for aces. there are not really any water hazards. The course has a good mix of tees and some alternate pins.
Cons: the location. playing through a mob of soccer players is not fun. course usually has trash on it. sometimes there is a wait but not often at all. not too challenging.
Other Thoughts: a good way to have relaxed day or go with beginners. its fairly easy to get a good score. no discs lost. near some good food and other stuff in greenville.