Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Robert Scott Hole #4 (Taken 2/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Hilly!

1    9/28/2014   10/1/2014
Review By: jjp016
Pros: It's definitely challenging...for a relative newcomer at least. Some pretty neat downhill shots. Awesome views. Flows pretty well.
Cons: Crowded. If you miss the fairway, some of them pretty narrow, then you'll be disc searching. Lots of people doing nothing but hunting for discs.
Other Thoughts: ELEVATION! The posted pics do not come anywhere close to conveying the amount of elevation change this course has. Good little workout.

I didn't know there were hills in KC

1    7/19/2014   7/19/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This was one of the more aesthetically pleasing course I have ever played. The course is on a vast piece of land that is very well manicured (I would not want to be the person that has to mow this course). Obviously the big pull to this course was the elevation, and I do not think words can describe the huge amount of elevation that this course really has. The course utilizes each hill to its max.

The course is hard but fair in my opinion. If the baskets are in the short/middle pin position, than twos are not uncommon. If the baskets are in the long position, or the monster positions that I played, than you will challenged on some holes for your par.

Hole 1 may be the most beautiful hole I have ever played with a look out to downtown KCMO with a big oak tree guarding the baskets and rolling hills. If the course had all those type of holes, than it could possible hit that lucid 5 disc rating.

I was a big fan of the flags on top of the baskets. They sometimes poked up over the hills, which made it easier to notice from the tee. The tee signs were descriptive and colorful and the tee boxes of substantial size.
Cons: It would have been nice to have a marker on the tee signs on which position the basket was in. On some holes, it was not apparent on where we were supposed to be throwing towards.

I felt some of the holes were filler and lacked any kind of excitement; Holes 6-8 come to my mind. I guess it is hard to make that many phenomenal holes on a public park.

The course is very busy, which means that there is litter strewn around the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my top-3. It is not my favorite, and it may not be my second favorite, but it is up there as one of the top that I have played. I do not feel like it warrants a 5-disc rating because I just thought there was room for improvement that is feasible.

I am from Houston and was absolutely winded after playing the course. Bring water and expect a lot of up and down walking. I would highly recommend this course to anyone in the area.

Worthy of the Hype

5+    5/27/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: Tutman
Pros: Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said, but Water Works DGC is worthy of the praise it is given. If not the top, it is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 courses in MO. Crazy elevation changes, tremendous risk vs reward on almost every hole, nice tees, signage, and baskets. There are benches and bag holders on every hole. The views of downtown Kansas City are incredible from this hilltop gem.
Cons: This course gets VERY busy on the weekend. It is a park, so vehicles, runners, walkers, bike riders, and skateboarders need to be watched for.
Other Thoughts: Another nice touch for WW is that the Wheeler downtown airport north/south runway is right in line with the course. In the evening you are constantly getting buzzed by multi-million dollar corporate jets, who doesn't love that?

Must play in KC

5+    10/22/2013   1/22/2014
Review By: dischaller'11
Pros: Plenty of variety in holes. From tight/ technical, to wide open bombs. Great elevation change, one of the hilliest I've played in missouri. There is some risk on a lot of holes, but nowhere you can't find your disc.
Every hole has a bench and a trash can which is great for a relaxing round.
Tee signs are very descriptive and helpful.
Mach 2 baskets are in great condition. Great views of downtown KC. Every level of player can play this course and not fill overwhelmed.
Cons: It can get busy, its highly likely on a nice day, that almost every hole will have someone on it. The hills can get exhausting, epecially when your discs decide to roll down them(half the fun though). Roadways can come into play quite a bit. Nothing really negative, just adds more challenge.

If you can play one course in KC, this should be it!

1    8/30/2013   10/3/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: STUNNING views and scenery! If you didn't know the midwest could be this hilly, you're in for a treat/surprise. The first hole, with its beautiful view of downtown, really sets the stage for the most visually appealing course I've ever played.

All concrete tee pads, benches, baskets, and flags are in excellent shape. Course was mowed well.

There is a huge range of variety on this course, in terms of elevation changes, wooded shots, and even a few open, longer baskets.

Brush and weeds seemed to be well manicured and taken care of when we played over Labor Day weekend.

Even as a beginner, this course didn't get frustrating or tiresome, regardless of how much we struggled with a couple of the holes. It was just gorgeous and I liked the big array of shots that were employed.

Navigation was generally pretty good, although sometimes you have to hunt for a bit. Watch for the big sign after 4 that directs you up the stairs to the next tee.

As always, lots of amenities here. Trust me, if you play on a hot day as we did, you will be using the many benches that are at every hole.

Flags on top of the baskets are essential with so much elevation change; they really help with the navigation and prevent you from throwing blind any more than you have to.

They lay of the land just seems to give itself to being a great DG course. All obstacles, flora and fauna, and elevation are used to their full potential.

If you can only play one course during your time in KC, make it this one. You won't regret it and will be treated to some gorgeous views of our beautiful city!
Cons: Seeing as this is the Taj Mahal of courses in town, it was very packed when we were there. Not at all a fault of the course, but be prepared to fight the crowds.

This probably shouldn't be a con, but as a heads up, this course is a workout; we played on a very hot day and were exhausted afterwards. And I'm also a runner. Moral of the story, stop at the QT nearby to get some water and snacks beforehand.
Other Thoughts: This course is a short drive from downtown KC, across Oak Trafficway from the Cerner campus. It's a bit of a trek if you live on the south end of town but definitely worth it.

I hold up this course as proof that even beginners can appreciate a well-designed, challenging course. We struggled on many holes, but were so blown away with the park's design that it didn't matter. I can't wait to play again once my game improves.

I have to give this course a 5 because, honestly, I can't think of anything that they could do to improve it, which is what the essence of a 5 should be. Make this your destination course and have fun!

Beautiful Park, Elevation Monster

1    9/25/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: BigAl724
Pros: Water Works is set in a very well maintained and beautiful city park just north of downtown KC and gives great views of the city. From what I can gather, this course is always evolving and the local club scene is very active in organizing events and works days to keep it in top shape. The park is only a few miles off main highways I-70 and I-35, and is easy to spot with a park sign right at the turn into the entrance. There is a decent amount of parking (but probably does get crowded on the busiest days), a porta-john, and local club information located near the first tee. There were a ton of people playing this course the day I was there, but I didn't have any problems with congestion. Very friendly and helpful locals made my navigation easy, but a course map could come in handy in a few spots. For the most part though, navigation flows natural and the next tees are easy to spot. This is definitely one of the most picturesque and well taken care of courses that I've played, with benches (and sometimes even rows of benches) and garbage cans at every tee. I didn't see any trash during my round. Also, the landscaping for this course is great, with the laid out bricks, wood, and mulch around the tees and greens. I really enjoyed the peace sign and star for 4 and 6!

Very nice wooden tee signs sport big hole numbers and show you the different pin positions and the lengths and for each one. There is only one tee (concrete) per hole, but they are perfect in length and condition. Mach 3 baskets in fine shape with numbered flags on top that make it much easier to spot them with all the elevation. Four pin positions on each hole give a great variety.

Elevation is the main technical aspect of this course and it is used tremendously. There is elevation change on all but a few holes, greatly incorporating the challenge for your drives, upshots, and putts in different ways for each hole. A lot of downhill, uphill, down then uphill, rolling hills, playing on a slope, etc. There is a lot of risk and reward type shots because of the elevation. The course greatly incorporates many trees as well, which give you multiple lines on most holes. While there isn't a huge variation in distances, the elevation changes make each hole unique, not making it seem repetitive. Great variety of anhyzer, hyzer, and straight shots.
Cons: -Could use next tee signs and arrows on the tee signs, but since this course is so highly populated, you may be able to follow another group

Other Thoughts: The fun factor is so high at Water Works as you get to experience every type of shot. The park is in pristine shape and this was definitely one of the most enjoyable courses that I've played. There wasn't one boring hole, but these are the ones I enjoyed most:

1- One of the most scenic and fun holes I've played. Gives a great view of the city and the rolling hills and different pin positions will always give you a different experience. Multiple trees to contend with give you many different lines to choose as well.
6-Beautiful looking tunnel shot. Has enough elevation to the pin to give a risk/reward type putt.
8- Downhill blind shot that gives you your best chance at an ace
13-Pretty extreme downhill and uphill with multiple lines through the trees. I got "waterworked" on this hole.

Took an hour and a half for two of us to play.

A gem in the middle of the country

1    5/22/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: humchris85
Pros: -Elevation change on almost every hole. More elevation change than I have ever seen in a city park
-Great variety of shots here; lefts, rights, up hills, down hills, canyons, side hills, wooded, open, etc…
-Nice large concrete tee pads
-Markers pointing to the next tee from the basket (though not all of them were pointing the right direction when I was there)
-Cool rock/wood designs around a couple of the pin placements
-Locals that were around were both friendly and helpful. They were willing to let us play through their big groups and point us in the correct direction to shoot.
-Very clean, nicely mowed park
-Course loops back near the parking lot a little over half way through
-Port-o-potty near the parking lot
-Multiple basket positions on all holes
-Map at the beginning of the course
-Benches on many holes
-Baskets in good condition
-Top notch views of KC from the course
Cons: -Not as wooded as I would have liked
-Signs could use something to show what pin position the basket is in
-The walk between 16 and 17 could confuse first timers to the course
-No water features on the entire course. You would figure with a name like Water Works Park that there would be a pond or creeks or something.
-Hole 1's next tee pointer was pointing in the wrong direction
-At times the course plays a little too close to the road that runs through the park. I had one close call with a Prius that I couldn't hear coming
-Other park users got in the way on a couple of holes
-Overflowing trashcans
Other Thoughts: Water Works Park is a beautiful, nicely kept up "city park" course. It starts out with what is now my favorite first hole in disc golf, a long rolling downhill, with some nice big mature trees helping protect the green. From there the course winds up, down and around the hills that make up the park, providing you with opportunities to throw a wide variety of shots. On one hole the basket is set in the middle of a big peace sign made out of rocks, while another has a pin placement in the middle of a star made out of logs.

I have heard that this course gets pretty busy, but I guess that we went on a calm day, as the course was very lightly populated. The people that we did run into on the course were extremely friendly, both willing to let us play through, while at the same time giving us hints on how to shoot the course. This is the way that I wish all locals were when I went to play new courses.

I would defiantly recommend this course if you are going to be in the area.

1    6/29/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: Broll
Pros: this is must for any disc tosser. if you are passing through or staying here and you like to play courses then this your place. great view nice t pads, information signs and plenty of space and hills!
Cons: it's not located close enough to play once a week.

Favorite Course by Far

5+    6/8/2013   6/27/2013
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 7/18/2013
Pros: There is a ton of elevation here and the holes have a great mix of slopes including sideslopes. Also, most holes have multiple elevation elements (not just straight downhill or uphill) 10/10

Plenty of trees for obstacles and they are huge. This helps make them more fair because you're mainly avoiding trunks and large branches instead of praying you get through leaves. The hills also make for obstacles that most courses don't have the luxury of adding. 10/10

There is a large variety of openness on shots, with several pretty wooded holes, the most of which is hole 6. There are also some pretty wide open holes, 14 comes to mind here, and everything in between. 10/10

Every hole has at least three possible pin positions and many of them have a large effect on the hole, significantly changing the angle, distance, or both. 10/10

Benches on every hole and lots of shade from the large trees. Bathrooms and a water fountain at the start of the course, and the 7th and 11th holes return back to near this area. This also allows you to cut the round short if you're short on time. 10/10 on comfort

Baskets are perfect and there are large concrete tees 10/10

The course requires players to throw every type of shot to score well. This also changes with the pin positions, but 4, 9, 11, 16, and 18 generally require right to left while 5, 12, and 15 generally require left to right. 10/10

Decisionmaking is required on many holes as the trees allow for many different ways to play most of the holes. 9/10

The holes have a great variety of distance, especially when counting in alternative pin positions. Hole 8 alone can be either 200 or 400ft. 9/10

Course is regularly mowed and benches, tee signs, trash cans are in good condition. Trashcans are sometimes full because of the amount of people that play this course. course maintenance 9/10

Navigation of the holes is generally a breeze thanks to the tee signs which show the hole more from the view the player sees. The only times there is a problem is when there are blind shots like on hole 2 or hole 8 where there are multiple positions that can't be seen from the tee, but most of these don't affect the drive. 9/10

Discs are pretty easy to find on most holes. 3-5 and 13 are the only places you could really lose one. 3-5 have a pretty steep dropoff on the left if you throw it over there and you could potentially roll deep into the trees. Overall 8/10

This course isn't great for people who have never played before, but it's not like you need to be an advanced player to enjoy this course. The first time I played it I had been playing for 3 months and threw around 230ft and it was immediately my favorite course (and still is). I've also brought friends that were fairly new to the game (this was the second course they played) and they enjoyed it as well. 7/10 on challenging all levels without being impossible

Navigation between holes is pretty good thanks to a map at the start and also markers at the base of the baskets. In addition, because this course is usually pretty busy you can just follow other players. There are a couple of tricky spots after holes 1, 9 and 14
Cons: Be prepared to take your time and enjoy the round as this course can be pretty busy. This is also a testament to how great this course is.

You can sometimes get frustrating rolls if you hit a basket and get up on an edge but at this point I'm digging for something negative to say.
Other Thoughts: This is a pretty challenging course, nothing like Blue Valley or the front nine at Kessler, but it's still 8/10

Great scenery and views of Kansas City.

I've played just about every course within 40 miles of Olathe, KS (a total of 28 currently) and this is by far my favorite.

1    5/27/2013   5/28/2013
Review By: Tclarencebrown
Pros: Great course. This course offers beautiful lines and great changes in elevation. Ever hole has multiple tee pads. The signage is great too. This course was on my wish list for years. It was definitely worth the wait.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9