Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Robert Scott Hole #2 (Taken 2/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3
I didn't know there were hills in KC

1    7/19/2014   7/19/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This was one of the more aesthetically pleasing course I have ever played. The course is on a vast piece of land that is very well manicured (I would not want to be the person that has to mow this course). Obviously the big pull to this course was the elevation, and I do not think words can describe the huge amount of elevation that this course really has. The course utilizes each hill to its max.

The course is hard but fair in my opinion. If the baskets are in the short/middle pin position, than twos are not uncommon. If the baskets are in the long position, or the monster positions that I played, than you will challenged on some holes for your par.

Hole 1 may be the most beautiful hole I have ever played with a look out to downtown KCMO with a big oak tree guarding the baskets and rolling hills. If the course had all those type of holes, than it could possible hit that lucid 5 disc rating.

I was a big fan of the flags on top of the baskets. They sometimes poked up over the hills, which made it easier to notice from the tee. The tee signs were descriptive and colorful and the tee boxes of substantial size.
Cons: It would have been nice to have a marker on the tee signs on which position the basket was in. On some holes, it was not apparent on where we were supposed to be throwing towards.

I felt some of the holes were filler and lacked any kind of excitement; Holes 6-8 come to my mind. I guess it is hard to make that many phenomenal holes on a public park.

The course is very busy, which means that there is litter strewn around the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my top-3. It is not my favorite, and it may not be my second favorite, but it is up there as one of the top that I have played. I do not feel like it warrants a 5-disc rating because I just thought there was room for improvement that is feasible.

I am from Houston and was absolutely winded after playing the course. Bring water and expect a lot of up and down walking. I would highly recommend this course to anyone in the area.

Worthy of the Hype

5+    5/27/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: Tutman
Pros: Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said, but Water Works DGC is worthy of the praise it is given. If not the top, it is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 courses in MO. Crazy elevation changes, tremendous risk vs reward on almost every hole, nice tees, signage, and baskets. There are benches and bag holders on every hole. The views of downtown Kansas City are incredible from this hilltop gem.
Cons: This course gets VERY busy on the weekend. It is a park, so vehicles, runners, walkers, bike riders, and skateboarders need to be watched for.
Other Thoughts: Another nice touch for WW is that the Wheeler downtown airport north/south runway is right in line with the course. In the evening you are constantly getting buzzed by multi-million dollar corporate jets, who doesn't love that?

A gem in the middle of the country

1    5/22/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: humchris85
Pros: -Elevation change on almost every hole. More elevation change than I have ever seen in a city park
-Great variety of shots here; lefts, rights, up hills, down hills, canyons, side hills, wooded, open, etc…
-Nice large concrete tee pads
-Markers pointing to the next tee from the basket (though not all of them were pointing the right direction when I was there)
-Cool rock/wood designs around a couple of the pin placements
-Locals that were around were both friendly and helpful. They were willing to let us play through their big groups and point us in the correct direction to shoot.
-Very clean, nicely mowed park
-Course loops back near the parking lot a little over half way through
-Port-o-potty near the parking lot
-Multiple basket positions on all holes
-Map at the beginning of the course
-Benches on many holes
-Baskets in good condition
-Top notch views of KC from the course
Cons: -Not as wooded as I would have liked
-Signs could use something to show what pin position the basket is in
-The walk between 16 and 17 could confuse first timers to the course
-No water features on the entire course. You would figure with a name like Water Works Park that there would be a pond or creeks or something.
-Hole 1's next tee pointer was pointing in the wrong direction
-At times the course plays a little too close to the road that runs through the park. I had one close call with a Prius that I couldn't hear coming
-Other park users got in the way on a couple of holes
-Overflowing trashcans
Other Thoughts: Water Works Park is a beautiful, nicely kept up "city park" course. It starts out with what is now my favorite first hole in disc golf, a long rolling downhill, with some nice big mature trees helping protect the green. From there the course winds up, down and around the hills that make up the park, providing you with opportunities to throw a wide variety of shots. On one hole the basket is set in the middle of a big peace sign made out of rocks, while another has a pin placement in the middle of a star made out of logs.

I have heard that this course gets pretty busy, but I guess that we went on a calm day, as the course was very lightly populated. The people that we did run into on the course were extremely friendly, both willing to let us play through, while at the same time giving us hints on how to shoot the course. This is the way that I wish all locals were when I went to play new courses.

I would defiantly recommend this course if you are going to be in the area.

1    6/29/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: Broll
Pros: this is must for any disc tosser. if you are passing through or staying here and you like to play courses then this your place. great view nice t pads, information signs and plenty of space and hills!
Cons: it's not located close enough to play once a week.

Wow, what a course!!

1    5/26/2013   5/26/2013
Review By: bball7273
Pros: - Tons of variety in the holes. There were wooded and tight holes all the way to 500 foot wide open bombs! This course will make you throw every skill you have out onto the course.
- Elevation, elevation, elevation! This course is very hilly and has lots of elevation which makes it more challenging. I cant remember one hole that didnt have a hill or two on it.
- Risk/Reward shots all over the place, especially putting.
- Multiple pin placements were awesome. I believe every hole had at least 3 different placements that will make the course a different expirience every time you play it!
- Concrete tee pads are top-notch! Long and wide for even the longest run-ups.
- Every hole has a bench and a trash can which is great for a relaxing round.
- Tee signs are very descriptive and helpful.
- Mach 2 baskets are in great condition.
- Beautiful views of downtown KC.
- Navigation was great for the most part.
- Hardwood trees gave this course a old tyme feel and were beautiful
- Very, very challenging on each and every hole!
- At the bottom of the pin was a little piece of yellow plastic that pointed to the next tee which could be helpful to a newbie on the course.
Cons: - Being as popular as it is, this course is VERY busy! We got stuck behind some big groups. I would recommend not playing if you are stressed for time.
- Some holes run along the street which gives a danger for cars.
- Sometimes we had to run up to find out where the basket was.
- The Mach 2 baskets were hard to see in the shade which was on half of the holes. Maybe a piece of orange tape around the center of the basket would help.
- The fairways could use some mowing.
Other Thoughts: This course is the best course Ive ever played! It seemed like every aspect was perfect and I loved every single throw on this gem. This course is top-notch and very fun! If your in the Kansas City area, you need to play this course! It is the best!!

Great Course Even In Bad Conditions

1    5/5/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: bluedvl228
Pros: Amazing course design with the technical shots - especially on the front 9. We played this course after some rainfall from the past couple of days but was still great to play.

Easy to find pin locations and the small markers at the base of the pin poles point to the next tee pad.

Great changes in elevation make for valley shots or uphill shots. This course will test every throw!

Benches at nearly every hole are just a great bonus to an outstanding course.
Cons: Not many complaints about the course...certainly more about my performance that day!
Other Thoughts: A definite must for any disc golfer - a great challenge for advanced players as well. I will play this course any day!

Phenomenal Course

1    4/15/2013   4/18/2013
Review By: SofaKing 442
Pros: This course is a LOT of fun to play! It has a good mixture of both accuracy and distance holes. Water Works Park is a well designed, well maintained course with plenty of trees and a fair amount of elevation. Great views of downtown KC on a couple of holes.
Cons: None.
Other Thoughts: Bring a course map if it your first time playing here. We had the course completely to ourselves and found the map to be useful on a couple of holes. I only got one deuce on the day and had to work at picking up threes on most holes. We threw Tee Birds and Buzz a lot. I had a memorable and very enjoyable outing.

Home Course

5+    8/4/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: todo_school
Pros: I love this course, it is where I learned to play. The elevation change makes this course very fun but also very demanding. A lot of open fairways with a good combination of tight tree lined fairways.
Cons: If you late/early release on a couple holes it is very easy to lose a disc and never see it again.

Wow

1    8/6/2012   8/6/2012
Review By: attik34
Pros: Excellent course. Super fun, very much a step above anything I could have expected. For me, the best thing about it was that it was challenging in a great way. Distance isn't huge on this course, so things feel attainable. Aside from a few exceptions, you aren't going to be losing a bunch of discs here either assuming you are willing to get off the beaten path if needed. Benches at each hole are very nice, considering both times I was there this weekend it was pretty packed, so waiting was a must, and having something to sit on was AWESOME.

As far as the layout goes, its very direct, easy to follow, and just simply right for alot of levels. I'm not good by any means, but I didn't feel overpowered by the course. If i made good shots, 3's werent hard, if i made bad ones, they were. That simple. Distance wise I tee'd off with a Buzz ALOT and didnt regret it very often. Alot of shot variation and some creatively done things that made me really appreciate being there.

The difficulty comes in the hills of the course for sure. One shot of mine comes to mind. I was putting from like...30-40 ish and missed long and soft. It hit a treeroot past the hole and kind of popped up on its side, I thought nothing of it. Picked up my bag and started walking up only to realize my disc was rolling at me, somehow. I was warned about this and its no joke, your disc can roll for ever, so be warned :).
Cons: The course is crowded from what I could tell, take that for what its worth. When you play at the best course in Missouri I'd expect it to be a little busy but maybe not everyone would :).

there were a few holes that had trash GUSHING from the trash cans which really took away from the well manicured everything else, but word on the streets is thats not a common thing.

also, its way to far from hannibal, MO
Other Thoughts: Loved the course, cant wait til life moves me back to KCMO so I can play this weekly :).

World Class

2-4    7/19/2012   7/20/2012
Review By: bazillion
This review was updated on 8/6/2012
Pros: This is a world-class course, period.

It's got a challenging mix of hyzer and anhyzer lines, tons of elevation change, and periodic winds that keep you on your toes. This is not a course where you can shift your mind into neutral - you will need to think about placements, the risk of roll-aways, and the need to avoid certain rough patches that are just too horrible to contemplate (I'm thinking about what's on the left side of fairways 3 and 4 here).

You'll also be in for a workout, since a lot of the ground you'll be walking over is nowhere near level. Bring water, or at least an empty bottle you can refill from the spigot by tee #1, and wear good sturdy shoes.

The course itself is in excellent shape, with 3 or 4 pin positions for each hole and benches and bag-hangers at each tee. Many of the pin placements can't be seen from the tees, but markers for the unused positions make it easy to figure out where you're going without having to walk the course.

Excellent signage, including a course map at the kiosk, make getting lost between holes pretty difficult. Throw in a practice basket and great views as others have mentioned and you have a pretty good idea of what to expect here.
Cons: The only con I can think of is that the trash cans are almost all completely full and spilling out over the surrounding areas. With a course so obviously popular and well-used, whoever's responsible for maintaining these should step up and schedule more frequent service.
Other Thoughts: If you're a noodle arm (like me), this course will hand your @ss to you but in such a way that you'll say, "Thank you, sir" and come back the next day for another round. Water Works is a total destination course and people who live within 50 miles can rightly go around with a smug grin on their faces just because they have such a fabulous resource in their back yards.

< Prev 1 2 3