Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Robert Scott Hole #6 (Taken 2/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3 4
Beautiful Challenging Course Which Can Be Enjoyed By All Levels Of Players!

1    10/20/2015   10/23/2015
This review was updated on 11/29/2015
Pros: My best analogy for Water Works DGC would be this: What if the best looking girl in your high school was happy and content going out with the most average Joe in your class? That's what is so amazing about Water Works! Here is this awesome, super challenging course set on a piece of rugged hilly terrain that wears out recreational runners AND yet, the average recreational disc golfer can play here and have himself a wonderful time. The course is so lovely and enjoyable, that while she is wearing you out, you're having such a grand time, you're not thinking about how beat down you're are. Not many of the top courses can so entertain and compliment such a range of disc golfers as Water Works can.

Sheer beauty. From the views of downtown Kansas City from # 1 and also the incredible views from the box on # 14, this course has to possess some of the most scenic views of any Mid-Western course.

The elevation and creative ways in which it was used here. The park sits on the top of a mountain overlooking KC and there's doesn't seem to be a level piece of ground in the whole park.

The amenities are all great, not over the top, take your breath away, like Bryant Park in Minneapolis, but just very serviceable. There are three or four basket positions on each hole. I don't know how often they're changed but I'm sure it's often enough to keep everyone interested. Nice course map at the beginning along with a kiosk, disc return box, 5 or 6 picnic tables, league and tourney information, etc.

# 1 was an incredible hole to start off your round with, 309' and a big downhill but with plenty of trees in your way. My local playing partner claimed # 14 is well known as the prettiest golf hole in Missouri. It's a long gradually sloping downhill (550' ?) with a prevailing headwind that helps to keep your disc flying. The large water tower looms in the background. It is a lovely hole.

Cons: We weren't always sure what position the pin was in on this particular day. Could use a system.

A few next tee signs would be helpful for us new to the course.

A few holes do play close to park roads. Take a look for cars, pedestrians before throwing.

Other Thoughts: I was so happy for the chance to finally get to play the famous Water Works. I was not one bit disappointed. She met or exceeded all my expectations. It was a wonderful to play a 4.5 rated course where a 64 year old recreational player such as myself could enjoy his round so much, not only golf wise but also physically. It's definitely a hike but it's not one of those killer courses like I played this summer in New Hampshire where you're totally spent after playing it one time.

If you ever get to Kansas City, experience Water Works!

Great, well maintained course

1    9/6/2015   9/8/2015
Review By: ryyedogg
Pros: This was a big bonus on my trip for a wedding. The course sits at a high point in the area, so there are awesome views of the city. Every hole presents a challenge with all the trees and elevation differences. You will see tunnel, uphill, downhill, over and around hills, and dogleg shots throughout the round. Nice tee pads and great signage make this course easy to play and follow. Many pin placements for each hole provides a good variety of shots needed for success. As technical as it can be, the course will still be fun for beginners.
Cons: Not really too much to complain except with a name like "waterworks", I thought it should have some water hazards.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses now. It has mostly everything I expect in a good course. The random guy I played with was so nice and helpful, giving me a good excuse to come back to play this and many other great courses in the area.

As solid as 4.5 gets

1    5/15/2015   5/20/2015
Review By: MidwestZest
Pros: - This course simply has an aura about it, with essentially no let-up when it comes to grandiose hole designs. Like all highly-rated courses, a round here is an EXPERIENCE, where the course kind of takes you by the hand to show you what it has next...and you let it without hesitation. Aside from locals who get to play this course on a regular basis, I imagine it takes a lot to keep at least a little of that feeling from returning every time you play the course.
- Challenging layout, but it's not going to kick you in the shins and take your lunch money. A very comfortable and enjoyable play.
- Good concrete tees, some with landscaping bricks around them. Tidies it up nicely.
- Three to four pin positions on each hole - none that I felt were an insult to the course.
- Great signage on each hole, letting you see exactly what you're getting into.
- Well-loved Mach baskets, but they performed fine. Flags on top of most baskets were helpful.
- Essentially secluded from all other park activities.
- Oodles of elevation here. You can count the number of 'flat' holes on one hand.
- Great mixture of a few tight wooded holes, with a few more open mixed in as well. However, even the open holes require you to navigate well-placed mature trees. #14 is about the only hole without much in the fairway. And even then, it's a nice reprieve.
- #6 - I don't know if I just made this hole harder than it needed to be or what, but man did it feel tight. Great variation early in the course.
- #9 - Really liked the look and feel of this hole, playing along a little drainage creek.
- #13 - Great valley shot with relatively narrow gaps around 200 feet out. The shorter your drive, the longer and harder (read: uphill) your approach becomes.
- #16 & 17 - particularly in the long pin positions, these are similar, scary holes with the road as OB right next to the basket. Kind of a shame that they're back to back, but I won't hold it against them.
Cons: - Erosion and compacted soil is a decently significant issue. Not really avoidable for a relatively wooded course that gets as much play as this one, but it should be noted. Played a few hours after a shower, and the course was very slick.
- Roads come into play on a number of holes.
- Some of the infrastructure has seen better days, namely some stairs that have fallen into a little disrepair. Easy on a course played this much.
- Pin markers of some sort on the sign would have been nice, but really only absolutely needed on a couple of holes.
- Looking back, holes 3, 4, and 5 seem a little 'mundane' compared to the rest of the course. Not really a con - they're far better than many holes on many other courses. Nice that they're early in the round. I will say though, you don't want to lose a disc left on these holes...it's a long way down.
Other Thoughts: - Had a great time finally getting to play this course. I can see why it's a 'must play.'
- Takes a long time to play with all the hiking, even though it's not a particularly lengthy course by hole measurement. I played mid-day during the week, so I didn't have to wait on crowds, but I'm sure it bogs down quite a bit in the evenings and on weekends.
- Make sure you don't miss the view of downtown from holes 1, 2, & 3. Simply awesome.

I didn't know there were hills in KC

1    7/19/2014   7/19/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This was one of the more aesthetically pleasing course I have ever played. The course is on a vast piece of land that is very well manicured (I would not want to be the person that has to mow this course). Obviously the big pull to this course was the elevation, and I do not think words can describe the huge amount of elevation that this course really has. The course utilizes each hill to its max.

The course is hard but fair in my opinion. If the baskets are in the short/middle pin position, than twos are not uncommon. If the baskets are in the long position, or the monster positions that I played, than you will challenged on some holes for your par.

Hole 1 may be the most beautiful hole I have ever played with a look out to downtown KCMO with a big oak tree guarding the baskets and rolling hills. If the course had all those type of holes, than it could possible hit that lucid 5 disc rating.

I was a big fan of the flags on top of the baskets. They sometimes poked up over the hills, which made it easier to notice from the tee. The tee signs were descriptive and colorful and the tee boxes of substantial size.
Cons: It would have been nice to have a marker on the tee signs on which position the basket was in. On some holes, it was not apparent on where we were supposed to be throwing towards.

I felt some of the holes were filler and lacked any kind of excitement; Holes 6-8 come to my mind. I guess it is hard to make that many phenomenal holes on a public park.

The course is very busy, which means that there is litter strewn around the course.
Other Thoughts: This course is in my top-3. It is not my favorite, and it may not be my second favorite, but it is up there as one of the top that I have played. I do not feel like it warrants a 5-disc rating because I just thought there was room for improvement that is feasible.

I am from Houston and was absolutely winded after playing the course. Bring water and expect a lot of up and down walking. I would highly recommend this course to anyone in the area.

Worthy of the Hype

5+    5/27/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: Tutman
Pros: Not sure what I can say that hasn't already been said, but Water Works DGC is worthy of the praise it is given. If not the top, it is definitely one of the top 2 or 3 courses in MO. Crazy elevation changes, tremendous risk vs reward on almost every hole, nice tees, signage, and baskets. There are benches and bag holders on every hole. The views of downtown Kansas City are incredible from this hilltop gem.
Cons: This course gets VERY busy on the weekend. It is a park, so vehicles, runners, walkers, bike riders, and skateboarders need to be watched for.
Other Thoughts: Another nice touch for WW is that the Wheeler downtown airport north/south runway is right in line with the course. In the evening you are constantly getting buzzed by multi-million dollar corporate jets, who doesn't love that?

Beautiful Park, Elevation Monster

1    9/25/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: BigAl724
This review was updated on 1/7/2016
Pros: Water Works is set in a very well maintained and beautiful city park just north of downtown KC and gives great views of the city. From what I can gather, this course is always evolving and the local club scene is very active in organizing events and works days to keep it in top shape. The park is only a few miles off main highways I-70 and I-35, and is easy to spot with a park sign right at the turn into the entrance. There is a decent amount of parking (but probably does get crowded on the busiest days), a porta-john, and local club information located near the first tee. There were a ton of people playing this course the day I was there, but I didn't have any problems with congestion. Very friendly and helpful locals made my navigation easy, but a course map could come in handy in a few spots. For the most part though, navigation flows natural and the next tees are easy to spot. This is definitely one of the most picturesque and well taken care of courses that I've played, with benches (and sometimes even rows of benches) and garbage cans at every tee. I didn't see any trash during my round. Also, the landscaping for this course is great, with the laid out bricks, wood, and mulch around the tees and greens. I really enjoyed the peace sign and star for 4 and 6!

Very nice wooden tee signs sport big hole numbers and show you the different pin positions and the lengths and for each one. There is only one tee (concrete) per hole, but they are perfect in length and condition. Mach 3 baskets in fine shape with numbered flags on top that make it much easier to spot them with all the elevation. Four pin positions on each hole give a great variety.

Elevation is the main technical aspect of this course and it is used tremendously. There is elevation change on all but a few holes, greatly incorporating the challenge for your drives, upshots, and putts in different ways for each hole. A lot of downhill, uphill, down then uphill, rolling hills, playing on a slope, etc. There is a lot of risk and reward type shots because of the elevation. The course greatly incorporates many trees as well, which give you multiple lines on most holes. While there isn't a huge variation in distances, the elevation changes make each hole unique, not making it seem repetitive. Great variety of anhyzer, hyzer, and straight shots.
Cons: -Could use next tee signs and arrows on the tee signs, but since this course is so highly populated, you may be able to follow another group

Other Thoughts: The fun factor is so high at Water Works as you get to experience every type of shot. The park is in pristine shape and this was definitely one of the most enjoyable courses that I've played. There wasn't one boring hole, but these are the ones I enjoyed most:

1- One of the most scenic and fun holes I've played. Gives a great view of the city and the rolling hills and different pin positions will always give you a different experience. Multiple trees to contend with give you many different lines to choose as well.
6-Beautiful looking tunnel shot. Has enough elevation to the pin to give a risk/reward type putt.
8- Downhill blind shot that gives you your best chance at an ace
13-Pretty extreme downhill and uphill with multiple lines through the trees. I got "waterworked" on this hole.

Took an hour and a half for two of us to play.

A gem in the middle of the country

1    5/22/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: humchris85
Pros: -Elevation change on almost every hole. More elevation change than I have ever seen in a city park
-Great variety of shots here; lefts, rights, up hills, down hills, canyons, side hills, wooded, open, etc...
-Nice large concrete tee pads
-Markers pointing to the next tee from the basket (though not all of them were pointing the right direction when I was there)
-Cool rock/wood designs around a couple of the pin placements
-Locals that were around were both friendly and helpful. They were willing to let us play through their big groups and point us in the correct direction to shoot.
-Very clean, nicely mowed park
-Course loops back near the parking lot a little over half way through
-Port-o-potty near the parking lot
-Multiple basket positions on all holes
-Map at the beginning of the course
-Benches on many holes
-Baskets in good condition
-Top notch views of KC from the course
Cons: -Not as wooded as I would have liked
-Signs could use something to show what pin position the basket is in
-The walk between 16 and 17 could confuse first timers to the course
-No water features on the entire course. You would figure with a name like Water Works Park that there would be a pond or creeks or something.
-Hole 1's next tee pointer was pointing in the wrong direction
-At times the course plays a little too close to the road that runs through the park. I had one close call with a Prius that I couldn't hear coming
-Other park users got in the way on a couple of holes
-Overflowing trashcans
Other Thoughts: Water Works Park is a beautiful, nicely kept up "city park" course. It starts out with what is now my favorite first hole in disc golf, a long rolling downhill, with some nice big mature trees helping protect the green. From there the course winds up, down and around the hills that make up the park, providing you with opportunities to throw a wide variety of shots. On one hole the basket is set in the middle of a big peace sign made out of rocks, while another has a pin placement in the middle of a star made out of logs.

I have heard that this course gets pretty busy, but I guess that we went on a calm day, as the course was very lightly populated. The people that we did run into on the course were extremely friendly, both willing to let us play through, while at the same time giving us hints on how to shoot the course. This is the way that I wish all locals were when I went to play new courses.

I would defiantly recommend this course if you are going to be in the area.

1    6/29/2013   8/20/2013
Review By: Broll
Pros: this is must for any disc tosser. if you are passing through or staying here and you like to play courses then this your place. great view nice t pads, information signs and plenty of space and hills!
Cons: it's not located close enough to play once a week.

Wow, what a course!!

1    5/26/2013   5/26/2013
Review By: bball7273
Pros: - Tons of variety in the holes. There were wooded and tight holes all the way to 500 foot wide open bombs! This course will make you throw every skill you have out onto the course.
- Elevation, elevation, elevation! This course is very hilly and has lots of elevation which makes it more challenging. I cant remember one hole that didnt have a hill or two on it.
- Risk/Reward shots all over the place, especially putting.
- Multiple pin placements were awesome. I believe every hole had at least 3 different placements that will make the course a different expirience every time you play it!
- Concrete tee pads are top-notch! Long and wide for even the longest run-ups.
- Every hole has a bench and a trash can which is great for a relaxing round.
- Tee signs are very descriptive and helpful.
- Mach 2 baskets are in great condition.
- Beautiful views of downtown KC.
- Navigation was great for the most part.
- Hardwood trees gave this course a old tyme feel and were beautiful
- Very, very challenging on each and every hole!
- At the bottom of the pin was a little piece of yellow plastic that pointed to the next tee which could be helpful to a newbie on the course.
Cons: - Being as popular as it is, this course is VERY busy! We got stuck behind some big groups. I would recommend not playing if you are stressed for time.
- Some holes run along the street which gives a danger for cars.
- Sometimes we had to run up to find out where the basket was.
- The Mach 2 baskets were hard to see in the shade which was on half of the holes. Maybe a piece of orange tape around the center of the basket would help.
- The fairways could use some mowing.
Other Thoughts: This course is the best course Ive ever played! It seemed like every aspect was perfect and I loved every single throw on this gem. This course is top-notch and very fun! If your in the Kansas City area, you need to play this course! It is the best!!

Great Course Even In Bad Conditions

1    5/5/2013   5/6/2013
Review By: bluedvl228
Pros: Amazing course design with the technical shots - especially on the front 9. We played this course after some rainfall from the past couple of days but was still great to play.

Easy to find pin locations and the small markers at the base of the pin poles point to the next tee pad.

Great changes in elevation make for valley shots or uphill shots. This course will test every throw!

Benches at nearly every hole are just a great bonus to an outstanding course.
Cons: Not many complaints about the course...certainly more about my performance that day!
Other Thoughts: A definite must for any disc golfer - a great challenge for advanced players as well. I will play this course any day!

< Prev 1 2 3 4