Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Bevo Hole #8 (Taken 8/2009)

That's the good stuff.

1    11/25/2011   11/27/2011
Review By: stubborn puppet
Pros: .
> Scenic, clean and well maintained.
> Fantastic place for a DG course and you couldn't ask for better topography.
> Clever and thoughtful hole layout and pin placements.
> Pretty decent tee signs with a good view of the fairway and all possible placements.
> Big, level, clean concrete tees.
> Navigation was made easier by a neat little yellow pointer at the base of each basket.
> Multiple pin positions obviously provide excellent shot variety.
> Many holes had the opportunity for multiple approach paths right from the tee.
> Good combination of distance shots and technicals.
> The course is not too long and not too short... ahh, just right!
> Good benches at all tees.
> Trash cans at every tee.
Cons: .
> Plenty of opportunity for multiple tees to be implemented.
> The baskets could really use some paint as they are hard to see.
> Tee signs need something to tell you what position the basket is in as many are hidden or protected.
> Trash cans were bursting at the rims (but park was mostly clean)
> A couple of holes really should have had Mando trees or O.B. marked, because there were many tempting shots that took discs into play areas or onto roadways.
> The homeless disc golf coach... please get your own discs and leave us alone.
> Needs a little more parking for sure.
Other Thoughts: .
I've rarely been so entirely satisfied by a disc golf course. Almost everything I'd ever want was here in some way and I'm pretty sure I pulled out every disc in my bag at some point (I carry 13). I don't know if it's a norm at Water Works Park, but it was windy and the wind was totally unpredictable - probably due to the wild topography. It made me wish I had a mulligan for every hole, because no matter what you thought the wind was doing, that's only what it was doing at the tee. After the disc travelled over the first hill/valley/treeline, a differnt current would make it do something unpredictable... and away goes your disc on an adventure through the rolling hills.

This is an athletic course to walk, so be prepared... which makes me think the course could use a few steps in places where the hill to the next tee was too steep to traverse, especially with the fall leaves on the ground.

I can't wait until my next visit here to see how it goes.

Home Sweet Home

5+    9/16/2011   9/16/2011
Review By: KCDISCDOG
Pros: IMO This course has a good mix of everything you want in Disc Golf.. Huge elevation changes, tight woods, huge rips, and some holes you can get your accuracy on, with tough basket placements..
There are 2 practice baskets where you can warm up with friends, or get the jump on others while waiting for your crew to join up. Benches, trash cans, and concrete T pads at every hole.
The course is pretty easy to navigate with pointers towards the next T at the bottom of every basket.
I think most every Disc Golfer at any level will find things that challenge them, or feel doable at this course. Definitely check it out if your in the KC area
Cons: If your not in good shape you may feel it at this course, lots of uphill and downhill hiking.. Although this can be a good thing if your looking to get in shape or use it against your opponents.. Just thought I would mention it if you had a health issue..
Sometimes there is lots of traffic running up and down the road in their cars, not sure what their doing but some seem a little freakish. They seem to ignore you when you step out with your DG bag just so they know what team your playing for, if you get my drift...
Other Thoughts: I'm sorta new at DG, I have been playing Frisbee with my dogs for years. Took up DG to advance my distance skills, and throws for Disc Dog Competitions.. I consider this my home course and after 2 months of playing twice a week here they had new basket placements today which made for a great challenge for me today, I was getting comfortable with the last ones.. Course was mowed, limbs are getting picked up better after every mowing since the storms a couple of months ago... Go play have fun !!

my first

5+    8/17/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: JohnnyD
This review was updated on 8/27/2011
Pros: really dont have much experience to compare courses. i love getting out there and traversing the hills and undulations. great work out here. easy to navigate. from the other reviews ive read i may have been spoiled eary in my dg hobby undertaking.
Cons: really wish there was some par 4s or 5s. seems to me that some par 3s are long enough to be par 4s. however this would make them easy in relation to par.
Other Thoughts: sure enough, i have played a couple of others since posting first review. changed my rating from a four and a half to a five.

Almost as good as KC's BBQ

1    7/11/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: jblough
Pros: - True world caliber course with the local players to back it up
-Close to KC with nice skyline views.
- fantastic signage, teepads, benches, garbage cans on many holes, and all of that stuff
- WIDE range of uphill and downhill shots. Most of the course, actually, utilizes elevation in one way or another. Steep uphill require a strong arm; steep downhill drives require accuracy and discipline.
- Can be very challenging depending on tee placements. Each hole has 4 possible pin locations, and many holes require
- Favorite holes: 6 (a very long and tight tunnel shot with a well guarded basket) and 14 (an open bomb that sits dangerously close to the OB road--a nice change of pace for the course's general wooded and elevated holes.

The course itself just kind of looks majestic--kind of what one might envision a disc golf heaven to look like. Lush green rolling hills, beautiful trees, and the tees, signs, and everything else helps, too. This heavenly feeling is intensified by a drive across a steep ravine with views of Kansas City in the background. While I really enjoyed myself, I realized after awhile that this definitely isn't disc golf heaven (i.e. a 5 disc course). See cons below:
Cons: - Since there are 4 possible pin placements, a first-timer like myself had to do some scouting for every hole to see where the basket was. Not really a big issue for me, and I'm sure the locals know where each basket is.
- Would have liked to see some more wooded and technical holes that require really precise shots. Hole 6 is the only real example in the course.
- No super-duper long holes. Some were in the 400s, but a 600-800 foot hole or two would have been nice.
- It's called Water Works Park but there are no water hazards?
Other Thoughts: It's easy to see why this was the premiere course of last year's PDGA World Championships. While it may not be the best course on DGCR, it certainly is worthy of the presence of Climo, Jenkins, Doss, etc., and seeing everyone play would have been entertaining during the tourney. I know this is a good course, because I was having a blast despite braving the 99 degree temperatures and brutal humidity during my round. Bring your a-game and a nice diverse bag, because you're going to need it! Kansas City local disc golfers are lucky: Water Works Park AND Arthur Bryant's BBQ? I'd be in heaven.

Watter Works DGC

1    7/15/2011   7/15/2011
Review By: DiscGolfer947
This review was updated on 8/6/2011
Pros: 1) hills, even though very tiering, are used very well
2) great signage
3) great tee pads
4) benches at every hole
5) easy to navigate, arrows on the pins pointing to next basket
6) has a good mix of holes, left, right, and straight.
7) some well protected pins
Cons: 1) doesn't give current pin placements
2) could not find pin 18
3) no really long holes, but it's not much a con due to the grueling hike up and down the hills
Other Thoughts: a very very nice course all around. played on my vist to KC to see my aunt and uncle. if im every in the area again i would surely play the course.

Everything an NT course should be

1    7/11/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: Dirt4dinner
Pros: TOUGH! Tight tech shots, some wide open bombers, great signage, lots of benches, loops back to the parking lot mid-round, grassy and well maintained.
Cons: TOUGH! "don't get left" "don't get right"...was all I heard from my guides.

KC Masterpiece

5+    12/4/2010   5/21/2011
Review By: KvnBchr
Pros: Great workout. The terrain is both scenic and abundant. I travel a lot and everytime I get to KC, I HAVE to play WaterWorks.
Other Thoughts: Drink a Gatorade, not a High Life, it will drag you down.

Lost: Discraft: Avenger, ESP, Rainbow colored.

New Favorite

1    5/21/2011   5/21/2011
Review By: mgcarney
Pros: The first thing I heard as I approach the first tee at water works. Is a story of someone who fell playing and was bit by a snake. Needless to say, I was a bit worried starting. However, this course is now my favorite course I have ever played. The course has every conceivable type of shot. Left hand, right hand, uphill, downhill, short, long, tunnel shot, and open. The lengths are perfect and there was not one speck of litter when I was there. It is a very picturesque course.
Cons: The only real negative of this course was the mud. Being so close to the Missouri, it was muddy. It made driving tough on a couple of the pads that have accumulated mud, but this is likely a seasonal problem considering the rain the area has had. The biggest negative is that it had to end.
Other Thoughts: I encourage everyone to come here. There is some nasty woods that you can throw into, but it worked well into the course. Unlikely to lose discs, and very likely to be challenged. Wherever you are, go!

By a Florida golfer

2-4    4/24/2011   4/24/2011
Review By: badams
This review was updated on 4/25/2011
Pros: Excellent array of shots needed.
great use of elevation
Risk reward came into play on lengthy puts!
beautiful scenery
Cons: none
Other Thoughts: I am florida golfer 95% of the time so it was a real treat to play this course that I have read and heard about for the past 20 years.
I got a taste of the risk/reward aspect of putting that applies here right off the bat by hitting the chains on a thirty foot birdie put on hole 1. It didn't stay in and came out and down the hill for a 75 foot third shot.This type of risk reward putting came into play on many holes and added an ingredient to the game I usually do not see in Florida. If you have not played here before, a second round is a must, I shot 57 the first round and 51 the second round. Your score can really be affected by your puts rolling away so it is very important to weigh the risk of going for the risky put.

Beautiful Course!!

5+    8/10/2010   4/1/2011
Review By: ZNCram1
Pros: This a beautiful course with great elevation changes and views of downtown Kansas City.
There are not many hole that are teribly long or short and are all fairly challanging. Well maintained
Cons: Lack of bathrooms except for porta potty at 1st tee.