Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Robert Scott Hole #2 (Taken 2/2009)

Great Course!

1    7/12/2010   7/12/2010
Review By: bschmidt006
Pros: 1) TONS of elevation change! I just played YMCA of the Rockies last week and this course has the elevation change I was expecting (and didn't find) there!
2) Very beautiful park, huge trees to provide shade on most holes.
3) Good signage, except for the construction the only place I got lost from 5-6, which is actually pretty well marked, I'm just blind!
4) Good variety of shots, all the other reviews are spot on, you'll need a good selection of shots on this course!
5) This is a disc golf "course", and not a park, there aren't any sidewalks/pavilions/park benches... etc to attract other people to fairways.
Cons: 1) One reviewer said bring your good shoes, I'd say bring shoes you don't mind getting muddy! It looks like this place can get and stay pretty wet due to shade.
2) There isn't any real danger of losing your disc on this course, I guess that's also a pro, but there aren't any shots that really have to be perfect.
3) Could use a few longer holes. I'm no long-arm by any means, but were only 2 or 3 holes I really needed to rip it on. This could have just been due to pin placement when I played though.
Other Thoughts: Be ready to use your legs! This is MUCH more than a casual course! I'd put this in the top 3 courses I've played so far! If you have a long-arm, be ready to work on your short game (200-300ft).

Fabulous course

1    6/28/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: FriedOkra
Pros: Easily my favorite course played to date. Almost every hole was different than any other on the course. Up hills, down hills, doglegs, tunnel shots, long shots, short shots. A ton of fun.
Cons: The construction lowered my rating this time. It would have been at least a 4 otherwise.
Other Thoughts: I planned on playing this course on a Thursday evening as I drove from the Lake of the Ozarks. On arriving at the park at 6:30 p.m. I counted 26 people standing in line at hole 1. May have been league night. I played this on my return trip at 11 a.m. on Monday morning and only had to wait for two groups to tee off. I'd play this course over and over again. The construction will be over soon.

PLAY THIS COURSE!!!

5+    6/23/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: seymourdiscgolf
This review was updated on 6/27/2010
Pros: Bring your good shoes cause this course has some elevation! Great mix of shots,
; hill to hill, hill to valley, valley to hill and a couple of flat tunnels. One of the best courses around...even many top pros choose this is one of their favorite coures. Great signage, easy enough to follow, large pads and well kept fairways. Nearly all baskets are visible but with trees that will that can easily bat you down.
Cons: The course is very hilly so that can be a hindrance if you have a stroller, little ones or it is wet. They are putting in a pipe line right now so #2 & #3 are unplayable but they have put the baskets at alternate locations on the course (I can recall that there are 2 baskets on #8 and I hear that the other is on #12).
Other Thoughts: HAPPY DISCIN'!!!

Elevation and Fun

1    6/6/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course has some major elevation, but you are not just throwing up and down a hill, but rather onto other "hills within hills," where a hump in the fairway may slope in a different direction than the fairway itself. For most putts you will be putting on a slope, creating the kind of risk/reward decisions from 30 feet out that make courses interesting. Each hole has at least four basket positions, so I doubt you could get too tired of the course. The signs, some of the best I've seen, graphically depict the locations of the various positions. There are no real filler holes here, and many holes make you consider the trees you are throwing under, in addition to the elevation. Your second shot will be key here. If you can land your disc flat within 20 feet of the basket, you're fine. Otherwise, watch your disc burn rubber downhill!
Cons: On a couple holes the basket was not visible from the tee, and the signs were not helpful in figuring out where the basket was. Course flow here is okay, but you'll probably need a map your first time. Several times I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go next, and that fact that two temporary baskets are in use didn't help. One of those temporary tees has you throwing a blind shot right over a park road, and you can't see if traffic is coming up the other side of the hill. Only one hole here was kind of boring (maybe #14? It was just a straight shot to a basket in the middle of the fairway with no trees or elevation factoring in).

Otherwise, there aren't many cons, just slight things that would make it a 5-star course. I don't believe there were alternate tees, so I'm not sure how challenging this course is for a very good player. There are no technical wooded holes or water holes (which obviously might not be possible here), so while each hole is fun, they're all of the general type "semi-open and hilly." I'm stretching to come up with things that could make this course better, but really, it's that good.
Other Thoughts: I can't imagine this piece of land being used for anything else. You couldn't really play baseball here, it wouldn't be ideal for a picnic, and a game of horseshoes would be comical on these hills. It was a park made for disc golf. This is a model for course creation in parks, and if you're in the Midwest, you owe it to yourself to play here. I will happily make the drive from Omaha again.

Amazing gem in the city

5+    5/22/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: kcplease
This review was updated on 1/18/2011
Pros: Great use of fariways, trees, obstacles, and elevation on most holes. Really makes you appreciate the good shots and kick yourself about the bad ones. Good workout.
Cons: Sometimes the elevation is too much if you do not have a backsaver strap for the bag. Just when you think there couldn't be another hill, theres an even bigger one.
Other Thoughts: only one flat hole. Threw a putter which i normally only throw under 125 on a 250 foot hole and almost aced it it was so far downhill. Another hole location is down that hill and up 150 feet the other side. Crazy varyation. Holes 2 and 3 are blocked off for the summer. Take the orange cones after hole 12 on the hill peninsula shot and re-tee on hole 8 after the short tee for the long one (down that hill and up the next, you'll see it).

Great Course

1    5/15/2010   5/15/2010
Review By: Justsendit
Pros: Great course, excellent use of elevation. Great placements, and beautiul lines. Alot of birdies out there and easy to navigate. Great risk reward shots and beautiful land. I can easily see why this course is rated so high and also why alot of folks consider the best in KC. The league was a bunch of awesome guys and the night I went 1 awesome woman. The winning round was -10 and that is a great score at anywyhere and very hard to hold on to at this course.
Cons: Getting "water worked" legendarily vicious tournament rolls. Didn't happen to me but I saw a few really nasty ones (90t+) in the few rounds I played there.
Other Thoughts: This is my second favorited course in KC so far, with WYCO, Cliff drive, Blue Valley and swope under my belt this time around (and subsequently nearly no family visited ;)
A must play in the KC area.
The course in currently under construction and there are two permanent placements that are gone but are replaced two challenging temp holes.

Mouth Watering Scrum-deli-icious

1    3/25/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: Donovan
Pros: This is one of the best courses I have played. This place has tunnel shots, risk/ reward, elevation, wide-open, moderate woods, OB, great pin placements, and beautiful scenery. Actually this place has just about everything except water. It is called Water Works, because of the water treatment plant just down the slope from the park. The view of the city from this park is very nice. The old trees immediately give you the feel that you are playing some place special. The big rolling hills are a real elevation enjoyment.

There are no filler holes here; I enjoyed every hole. The multiple pin placements are great. I had a great local guide, Fred Smith, play with me and show me all the pin placements that we did not get to play. They were just as good as the ones we did play. I just want to mention a few of the highlights that stuck in my mind. Starting the course off with a long down hill shot is a great way to open the first hole. The risk/reward of having a disc go left on #4 and possible going off the edge down the slope to the Water Treatment Plant was a real thrill. It looked really steep and scary; I just loved it! The tunnel #6 was a great run to the basket with sloping danger on the right. The old tree woods feel of #7 was so cool. I actually took a little bit of time to really take in the many different routes that could be taken from there. OK, now that I started, this course obviously has a ton of great holes. I won't bore you with too much of a hole by hole reviews. I will say I also loved the little bit of everything that #18 had. I really hope they never remove the old fallen down tree that is near one of the pins here, because it really added to the hole.

This park looked well maintained and was in beautiful shape considering it has rained here the 2 days prior. The message board was great with maps and scorecards available. The tee signs were a real treat. They had everything you really needed on them. The cement tee pads were fantastic and that entire area had lots of attention paid to it on each hole. I found there to be adequate parking and good use of trashcans as the park was very clean.
Cons: There were no bathrooms. Umm, I'm done.
Other Thoughts: The Fun Factor was as good as it gets. As soon as we finished, all I wanted to do was to play it again. I wanted to throw multiple drives on every hole. The greens were fun to putt at considering the surroundings. I can honestly say, this is a must play course that you should find time to get to in your lifetime.

Water Works Park KC

1    3/23/2010   3/24/2010
Review By: scootertrash
Pros: Great course! My wife and I played this yesterday and we loved every min. of it! Like previous reviews said it is hilly! We are from St. Louis and the course reminds me of Sioux Passage but with a few more trees. Everybody we ran into was very friendly and helpful.
Cons: The only con is that there are no bathrooms. We did not see any not even a Jonny on the Spot.
Other Thoughts: Bring plenty of water since you will get a great workout walking up and down all of the hills!

Solid Course

2-4    2/6/2010   2/6/2010
Review By: DriveCrusher2
Pros: Great distance from tees to pin, good obstacles with trees and hills a course you will want to go back and play again. Parking right next to hole one, flags on pins so you don't have to search for them easy to navigate.
Cons: HILLS! A lot of walking up and down steep grades, other than that nothing bad about it.
Other Thoughts: If you have trouble walking not the course for you.

WOW for Water Works!

5+    7/29/2009   1/31/2010
Review By: #19325
Pros: Water Works is absolutely awesome. If I could pick 1 course to play every day this is the one. This is a must play. This course gets a top score for fun factor.

There is plenty of parking near the tee to #1. There is a huge course map and score cards near the tee to #1. There is a practice basket as well.

This course has a wide variety of shot selection, distance, and terrain. Every hole has a minimum of 2 pin positions and many with 3 to 4. Elevation comes into play for the majority of holes. There are nice large trees with a few tighter wooded holes. They add challenge but you won't spend all day looking for discs.

The tee signs are great. There is a picture of the hole with distances for all the pin postions. The pin positions not in use have large PVC pipes so you can tell what position the basket is in.

The tee pads are nice and long. All have benches and nice landscaping around them. There is a bag holder at each tee. There were garbage cans all over and the course was very clean.

The course flow is superb. I did not get lost one time. There were no real long walks but the holes had plenty of room between them to avoid conflicts. Holes # 7, 8, 10, 11, & 12 give you an opportunity to stop by the parking lot.

This is not the most difficult course in the world but it is fun for all skill level players. The road comes into play on several holes adding a challenge of out of bounds.

There are several putting greens that are very challenging. If you run a putt and miss you have a chance at blowing by or rolling down a steep hill. This course will test your shot selection and nerves.
Cons: I have no cons for this course. It is a blast to play and I feel the designers utilized the land to it's fullest. Although this course lacks true par 4's the fun factor still warrants a 5 rating IMO.
Other Thoughts: Check out the links to the course walk through. The pictures on playdg.com are awesome.

Some video of parts of the course.

Hole #8 green.