Kansas City, MO
Water Works Park Share
Uploaded By: Robert Scott Hole #4 (Taken 2/2009)

Water Works...

2-4    8/4/2010   8/5/2010
Review By: eye-ball-sac
This review was updated on 4/24/2011
Pros: This course is located in an extremely hilly park in the northern part of Kansas City. The park is the most beautiful park I've ever seen. The course utilizes the hills like no other course I've been to. There's every kind of shot here. Downhill, Uphill, even over a valley to another hill. Somehow they even got a couple flat holes here! There's straight shots, dogleg left, dogleg right, everything you can imagine and more! Most of the holes were very wooded, but there were still a few open holes (14, 11). Most of the holes are between 200 and 400 ft., but all the elevation changes make up for that. Concrete Tee pads were big and perfectly flat. Signs were very detailed and accurate, clearly showing all O.B. and where the pin is. Trash Cans are at most tees, and benches are at every tee. Most tees even had two benches. (hole 7 had a bench on top of a bench!) The posts the tee signs were on had bag holders, which I've only seen at one other course. The grass was cut the trees weren't overgrown and the course was maintained well in every way! Hole 10's basket was near the parking lot, so you can stop if you're to tired. 18 also ended near the parking lot. There was plenty of parking, and there was a practice basket in the island where the parking was. (there was also a putting game printed on the basket sign) Hole 14 had a nice view of the Kansas City downtown area. Everyone in the course was nice. So even if you have to wait, you're talking with really nice people. I've been here twice, and the pin positions were changed around. It looks like they change them regularly.
Cons: Cons? No water hazards, but the hills make up for that. No bathrooms. Ummm...that's it.
Other Thoughts: I was able to play 2 and 3 while I was there, but the fairways were covered in hay. You might have to wait to throw, but the people around you make it an enjoyable experience. It would be nice if you could somehow see which pin position was in play, but usually they're visible from the hole.

If you mark this review unhelpful or you find a mistake, please send me a personal message here on DGCR explaining what is wrong with it.

Good course but not the best for beginners

1    7/4/2010   7/31/2010
Review By: c0ntagion
Pros: 18 holes, concrete tee pads, well marked course, utilizes several different shots.
Cons: Located in a very wooded area, it's easy to throw your disc off the fairway and into the woods and trees. This is a hard course for beginners.
Other Thoughts: You'll also get a workout trekking through here, as you will have to navigate up and down hills. I enjoyed this course overall, and I look forward to playing it again in the future once I've improved my technique.

5-star quality

1    6/4/2010   7/19/2010
Review By: progolfer33
Pros: I can't believe I'm one of a few people to give this course a 5-star rating recently. I have played many beautiful mountain courses in Colorado (Including Beaver Ranch), and Water Works Park blew them all away.

The best thing about this course is the hilly terrain. Hole number 1 is an immaculate downhill shot that sets the tone for the rest of the round. The hills and varying distances create a nice mixture of required shots for the round. I'm pretty sure that in the whole round, I did not have the same shot twice. If someone wants to shoot well here, they must have a mastery of nearly every shot in the game; no specific type of throwing is favored here. Finally, the course is really well maintained. Every hole has a nice yardage sign with bag hooks and a bench.
Cons: The current construction has put a damper on the course. I did not lower my rating for this because the course has no control over this. Even with the construction, it is still the best course I've played.
Other Thoughts: The hilly terrain could also mean a tough hike for some folks. Bring good shoes and plenty of water. The shade is nice to keep away the heat, but it was still real hot when I played.

I would recommend this course to anyone and everyone. Many of the shots are tough, but there is enough scenery and enough easier holes to keep everyone happy.

Play This Course!

2-4    6/25/2010   7/17/2010
Review By: Jason Daves
Pros: Lots of different types of shots. Tunnel shots, elevation changes. Wonderful course. There are several courses in the Kansas City area, don't miss this one.
Cons: Some missing baskets were a little bit of a drag, but alternates had been set up.

Arguably a top 5 course

5+    11/26/2009   7/12/2010
Review By: DrRyan
Pros: This is THE course many people will talk about in the Kansas City area. I would have a hard time putting any of the others in the area above it. Many people will consider this a top 5 course period. The elevation change, variety of shots required and scoring variance on most every hole are what make this such a great course. Hole 1 in the long position is one of my favorite DG holes on any course. When stretched long this course has some serious teeth and will punish errant shots while good shots will be rewarded. Hole 6 long is also a signature two shot hole that I have witnessed a deuce a couple of times on. The view back downtown over the river on hole 14 is an excellent back drop as well.
Cons: Being that there is so much elevation change battling erosion is one of the only things I can find for the "con" side of the coin.
Other Thoughts: If you are within a short day trip to this course, you must make the trip to play it. Do not miss playing this course if you are in the area. When stretched long this course has some serious teeth and will punish errant shots while good shots will be rewarded

Great Course!

1    7/12/2010   7/12/2010
Review By: bschmidt006
Pros: 1) TONS of elevation change! I just played YMCA of the Rockies last week and this course has the elevation change I was expecting (and didn't find) there!
2) Very beautiful park, huge trees to provide shade on most holes.
3) Good signage, except for the construction the only place I got lost from 5-6, which is actually pretty well marked, I'm just blind!
4) Good variety of shots, all the other reviews are spot on, you'll need a good selection of shots on this course!
5) This is a disc golf "course", and not a park, there aren't any sidewalks/pavilions/park benches... etc to attract other people to fairways.
Cons: 1) One reviewer said bring your good shoes, I'd say bring shoes you don't mind getting muddy! It looks like this place can get and stay pretty wet due to shade.
2) There isn't any real danger of losing your disc on this course, I guess that's also a pro, but there aren't any shots that really have to be perfect.
3) Could use a few longer holes. I'm no long-arm by any means, but were only 2 or 3 holes I really needed to rip it on. This could have just been due to pin placement when I played though.
Other Thoughts: Be ready to use your legs! This is MUCH more than a casual course! I'd put this in the top 3 courses I've played so far! If you have a long-arm, be ready to work on your short game (200-300ft).

Fabulous course

1    6/28/2010   6/30/2010
Review By: FriedOkra
Pros: Easily my favorite course played to date. Almost every hole was different than any other on the course. Up hills, down hills, doglegs, tunnel shots, long shots, short shots. A ton of fun.
Cons: The construction lowered my rating this time. It would have been at least a 4 otherwise.
Other Thoughts: I planned on playing this course on a Thursday evening as I drove from the Lake of the Ozarks. On arriving at the park at 6:30 p.m. I counted 26 people standing in line at hole 1. May have been league night. I played this on my return trip at 11 a.m. on Monday morning and only had to wait for two groups to tee off. I'd play this course over and over again. The construction will be over soon.

5+    6/23/2010   6/24/2010
Review By: seymourdiscgolf
This review was updated on 6/27/2010
Pros: Bring your good shoes cause this course has some elevation! Great mix of shots,
; hill to hill, hill to valley, valley to hill and a couple of flat tunnels. One of the best courses around...even many top pros choose this is one of their favorite coures. Great signage, easy enough to follow, large pads and well kept fairways. Nearly all baskets are visible but with trees that will that can easily bat you down.
Cons: The course is very hilly so that can be a hindrance if you have a stroller, little ones or it is wet. They are putting in a pipe line right now so #2 & #3 are unplayable but they have put the baskets at alternate locations on the course (I can recall that there are 2 baskets on #8 and I hear that the other is on #12).
Other Thoughts: HAPPY DISCIN'!!!

Elevation and Fun

1    6/6/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: Hector Chain
Pros: The course has some major elevation, but you are not just throwing up and down a hill, but rather onto other "hills within hills," where a hump in the fairway may slope in a different direction than the fairway itself. For most putts you will be putting on a slope, creating the kind of risk/reward decisions from 30 feet out that make courses interesting. Each hole has at least four basket positions, so I doubt you could get too tired of the course. The signs, some of the best I've seen, graphically depict the locations of the various positions. There are no real filler holes here, and many holes make you consider the trees you are throwing under, in addition to the elevation. Your second shot will be key here. If you can land your disc flat within 20 feet of the basket, you're fine. Otherwise, watch your disc burn rubber downhill!
Cons: On a couple holes the basket was not visible from the tee, and the signs were not helpful in figuring out where the basket was. Course flow here is okay, but you'll probably need a map your first time. Several times I couldn't figure out where I was supposed to go next, and that fact that two temporary baskets are in use didn't help. One of those temporary tees has you throwing a blind shot right over a park road, and you can't see if traffic is coming up the other side of the hill. Only one hole here was kind of boring (maybe #14? It was just a straight shot to a basket in the middle of the fairway with no trees or elevation factoring in).

Otherwise, there aren't many cons, just slight things that would make it a 5-star course. I don't believe there were alternate tees, so I'm not sure how challenging this course is for a very good player. There are no technical wooded holes or water holes (which obviously might not be possible here), so while each hole is fun, they're all of the general type "semi-open and hilly." I'm stretching to come up with things that could make this course better, but really, it's that good.
Other Thoughts: I can't imagine this piece of land being used for anything else. You couldn't really play baseball here, it wouldn't be ideal for a picnic, and a game of horseshoes would be comical on these hills. It was a park made for disc golf. This is a model for course creation in parks, and if you're in the Midwest, you owe it to yourself to play here. I will happily make the drive from Omaha again.

Amazing gem in the city

5+    5/22/2010   5/24/2010
Review By: kcplease
This review was updated on 1/18/2011
Pros: Great use of fariways, trees, obstacles, and elevation on most holes. Really makes you appreciate the good shots and kick yourself about the bad ones. Good workout.
Cons: Sometimes the elevation is too much if you do not have a backsaver strap for the bag. Just when you think there couldn't be another hill, theres an even bigger one.
Other Thoughts: only one flat hole. Threw a putter which i normally only throw under 125 on a 250 foot hole and almost aced it it was so far downhill. Another hole location is down that hill and up 150 feet the other side. Crazy varyation. Holes 2 and 3 are blocked off for the summer. Take the orange cones after hole 12 on the hill peninsula shot and re-tee on hole 8 after the short tee for the long one (down that hill and up the next, you'll see it).