Stockbridge, GA
Park Sign

Bring your drivers

1    10/22/2011   10/22/2011
Review By: Nathanbr2
Pros: 1) An AMAZING mix of short technical holes, and longer holes.
2) Some of the best teepads i've ever seen at ANY course
3) Requires use of a variety of shots...hyzer, anhyzer, rollers, just a mix of everything
4) Some Very interesting Mando's on this course to make the already good course that much better
5)Benches at every hole, some with coverings...and trash cans at most holes
6) GREAT signage between holes
7) 4 tees on each hole (some do overlap)...playing a different tee often gives a completely new look to each hole
8) Good baskets as well. could easily pick out the basket on the 1000'+ hole from the tee
Cons: 1) As mentioned before...the "big" holes are A Long way from the parking lot. I would love to maybe see a water fountain somewhere around hole 9 (i know, wishful thinking, but i need a con)
2) if you miss the fairway, expect high grass or briars, Great, wide fairways though.
Other Thoughts: Normally i'm, not a fan of "big" holes (400'+) but this course does them very well with mandos, and forcing skillful throws rather than just bombing it out there.

A must play if you're visiting the area.

Challenges every aspect of your game...

5+    8/21/2011   8/22/2011
Review By: BmaEngnr92
Pros: - Large, concrete tee pads on all holes; I haven't found any to be slick either, which can be an issue if the conrete is finished to finely.
- Multiple tee pads; it should be noted that many of the AM pads are natural, but providing that option is nice, nonetheless.
- Great mix of holes; there are some shorter holes were ace runs are possible, and then there are some longer holes, where you really have to let it fly. However, the long holes still require accuracy, which is what many "long" courses miss.
- Good mix of shots required; anny, hyzer, straight, etc. You can get pretty creative on how you want to shape your shots. Just be sure you hit your lines. The longer holes may look open, but watch out for those mando's and OB lines.
- Multiple pin placements; I always prefer for a course to either have multiple pads or multiple pin placements. This course has both. Really adds the option for a variety of looks.
- Great park setting; the park seems nice and pretty well maintained. Everyone I've met at the park (disc golfer's or not) have been cordial and most will even say hello. The park is in a safe area as well.
- Benches on many holes, and several even have structures (i.e. roof) that provide much needed shade.
Cons: I really don't have many cons for the course, as it's one of the better layouts I've played. However, a couple of things do come to mind; namely:
-Sometimes the grass can get long on a few of the open holes. I realize it's a very large park, and mowing it often is a chore and costs money. However, it's not necessarily fun to walk through shin high grass when you drove it in the fairway.
- Natural tee pads; I don't have a problem with earth pads, as long as they are in good condition. I've noticed that some of the AM pads are in pretty rough shape. I personally prefer the gold tees, but having concrete pads on all tees would make that option more desirable.
- No water out here. I must admit, I've yet to play a course that does provide water stations, but it gets hot out there during the summer, and holes 8-14 are a long way from the start. Therefore, carry with you any water/drinks you think you'll need.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this is one of the better courses I've ever played. The cons are merely trivial things that don't really detract from the quality of the course and the shots it requires. The layout is demanding, but very fair, and good shots will be rewarded. There aren't any holes where you have to hope to get lucky to close. If you put good moves on it, you'll shoot well. If your shot is errant, be prepared to take a stroke, maybe two or more (those OB's can get you).

Many longer courses tend to favor those with bigger arms, and while those who can throw it far might have a slight advantage, here a premium is put on placement. The designer(s) did very well incorporating many different factors of the park into the course. There are lots of good lines and hazards to keep you thinking. Hole 11, for instance, could have been quite an average hole, but they implemented an "island" green that really makes the hole special.

Great course. This is now officially one of my favorites.

Favorite Holes: 1, 6, 8, 9, 11, 16

8-5-11

1    8/6/2011   8/6/2011
Review By: Georgia thrower
Pros: Solid 4. Awesome long holes. This is a safe area and the people are friendly. You can get a membership at the rec center and shower after the game.
Cons: Grass needs cut more often. There are copperhead snakes in the stream around hole 11-12.
Other Thoughts: contact Kenny Moris Parks Dept if grass needs cut - 770-288-7300.

JP Moseley First Timer

1    7/18/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: TheJackalope
Pros: This course was immense. I have only played 3 courses in my day, and Moseley was not only bigger, it dwarfed the other two combined. The layout was very intuitive, I never missed a hole. Good blend of technical and all out disc chucking opportunities, sometimes on the same hole. Lotta benches and nice spots to distract you from your game. Couple really nice trails, and chill spots. Mostly secluded from other park activities, and it's as free as laying in the sun. Multiple launch pads was an awesome feature as well. Almost every hole had 2 or more.
Cons: There were some times when I had to wait for Pedestrians to walk by so that I could throw. Bring ample water with you. No water on the course (though I have never been to a course that DID have water stations) combined with it's sheer mass, can get thirsty.
Other Thoughts: This course rocked. It fully deserves a 4 star rating. If it had water, I would have given it a possible 5 star rating. The quality of the holes is choice. JP Moseley is an Excellent choice.

JP Mosley Review

2-4    2/2/2011   6/23/2011
Review By: Chain Bangin' Joshua
Pros: Great beginner's course. Short pars and great long holes over small elevation changes make for a great casual game atmosphere. Course design creates most of the challenge in this course rather than distance or hazards. Not a lot of heavy traffic on this course keep it fun and playable.
Cons: Not very challenging to more seasoned players. I doubt there will be any major tournaments here, ever.
Other Thoughts: This area is very suburban and often, other players on the course are teenagers or younger.

Nice challenge

1    4/21/2011   6/2/2011
Review By: mashnut
Pros: This course offers a wide range of challenges, and keeps things interesting throughout with lots of different types of holes. You'll play through tight woods with narrow technical lines to hit, and open long bombs with lurking rough or ob with everything in between. I enjoyed the mix of technical and distance challenges that make you throw just about every disc and shot you've got to score well.

There's a nice mix of hole shapes to go with the distance variety. The wooded holes offer a balance of left and right turning shots to keep things interesting, and many of the open holes call for hitting a line off the tee or placing your tee shot to have a good approach to the green. The flow of the course is pretty easy to follow despite a couple longer walks, and the multiple tees offer a great set of options for different levels of players. The long concrete tees are nice pads, and the natural shorter pads are reasonably level and in decent shape.
Cons: Though the shorter pads are decent for natural tees, it seemed like a lot of newer players were playing the long tees to play from concrete. The shorter tees offer nice challenges, and would probably get a lot more use if they had decent tee pads. The grass was pretty long in some areas, it's a big park to mow but losing a disc on the fairway is frustrating. There are some holes where it's not obvious where to find some of the tees, a little better and more consistent signage and navigation would be nice.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time playing here. It's a little rough, with lots of dead stuff on the wooded fairways and lots of long grass, but it offers some great challenges. Beginners will find the short tees approachable, with reasonable lengths for newer players. Experienced players will find themselves tested from the long tees, you'll need distance and accuracy to score well on the various types of holes here.

Best of ATL

1    5/29/2011   5/31/2011
Review By: Connor Jones
This review was updated on 9/19/2011
Pros: Excellent,large teepads.

Almost every single hole has a bench,with many of them having some sort of coverage for some nice(and needed)shade in the ridiculous Georgia heat.

The front 9 of this course,in my opinion is easily one of the best halves of golf i've played,not one bad hole. Some people might complain saying they are too tight and technical,but there is definitely a line,just a very tough one to hit.

Very easy to navigate with an excellent flow to the course.
Cons: There were a few holes on the back 9 I wasn't really a fan of,overall it was still enjoyable,but a couple of them just didn't offer anything too exciting,it's expected for most courses to have a couple of "ehhh" holes,but the rest of the course was just so awesome it caught me off guard.

On a couple of holes,the walking and biking paths definitely come into play,but most of them are pretty far back in the park,and I only saw a few people using them.
Other Thoughts: This was the sixth course I played this past weekend,and this is by far the best in the atlanta disc golf scene. There are quite a few long holes,including a few true par fives,so make sure to bring plenty of water to prepare for this epic.

Signature holes for this one for me,would definitely be the rock OB hole,which is just fun,and if theres no one near you,definitely can turn into a bag emptying one quickly,and also the first par five of the course,the tee shot is ridiculously fun.

Overall,if I had to recommend just one course to play while you were in the Atlanta area,it'd be this,Atlanta disc golf is horribly decentralized(as I learned) but almost all of them are worth hitting up.

Punisher of the weak and weary

1    4/17/2011   5/9/2011
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: J.P. Mosely Park is a difficult course, primarily due to distance, but fairly open and not without a few birdie opportunities. There are multiple tees for most holes, and I mixed in a few gold tees but mainly stuck with the blues on my only visit. Each of the baskets was there, and in decently good shape. There is a sign near the first tee with a course map. Distance is listed for every tee at each hole. Most holes have signage also. Overall mix of hole shapes and distances is widely varied. There is a mando, and an island to add some flavor. Well chosen path creates interesting lines through the trees, with plenty of chances to air out some long, open drives also.
Cons: The only really bad thing about my visit to Stockbridge was the way I played there. I guess more concrete pads would be a welcome addition. Threre were also once or twice where the signs were not in good position, and I had to backtrack to find tees.
Other Thoughts: This course is not exactly beginner friendly, but it is great fun and challenge factors. I was playing lousy golf when I passed through, and would love another shot at this one for sure. The Atlanta Open was in progress when I arrived, so I had to wait for an hour or so to play after my long car ride. Totally worth it despite the long delays and bad scores. Wish I could have seen the pros working this course the day before.

good mix of holes

1    3/26/2011   4/26/2011
Review By: sdervan
Pros: - Multiple pads and placements
- very clean and quite
- off the beaten path so you feel as if you are at a very secluded course (with the exception of foot traffic)
- pretty good signs
- great mix of holes for righties and lefties
- good mix of open and wooded holes
- i liked the distance and how it varies from hole to hole.
Cons: a good bit of walking between holes and it can't be played quickly.
really not a lot to complain about. it's a great course.

Great Course...Tough for Beginners

1    4/23/2011   4/23/2011
Review By: EagleZT
Pros: Nice Signage (Updated probably for Atl Open) The Signage in the Media section is outdated.
Nice NexT signs on the front 9.

A lot of people on here bash the front nine as a waste, but I actually enjoyed it. Gave me a great workout in terms of technical shots and trying to drive my putter and see how it handles distance.

The whole course is in great shape. Some small thistles out in the fairways. Dont wear flops and your fine. Grass is cut nice and evenly. For a beginner I didnt lose any discs. (I played from the Blue-Red Tees. I alternated on some given my limits to reach the basket in a fair manner.

The Skull Island Hole #11 Left me wanting to throw more and more till I reached the "island"
Cons: It is a def challenge for beginners. 2 Great Tunnel shot opportunities punished my flex shots

Its over 8,000 ft. Which is out of range for a beginner like me, but those 900' par 5's to me were legit because not everyone can score an eagle.

Other Thoughts: I dont have a lot of negatives since I played it once. I was kinda drooling at the fact a little on that the one hole I stole a birdie from, I was wondering that Climo himself prob birdied it too last weekend at the AO.

Its not a beginners course. Please take this into consideration. My noodle arm can barely squeak to 300' and those par 5's shredded my scorecard.

Great course overall. Will visit more often as it is between my home and Lenora Park in Gwinnett.