Stockbridge, GA
J.P. Moseley Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #12 (Taken 3/2010)
3 / 164ft.   3 / 282ft.   3 / 351ft.   3 / 351ft. Par / Distance:

HUUUGE course.

1    11/8/2009   11/8/2009
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: This is a very good course that plays very long. Some creative holes here, LONG holes here, wooded and open holes here. Bomber drives and finesse drives. Thrwing into woods, and throwing out of woods. It's all here. Yellow Tees are concrete, all pads are easy to find. Quality baskets.
Cons: I will start by saying that I enjoyed myself out here and am not "MOSE" bashing by any means here. Could use more NexT signs, either flags or markers on the baskets as some were hard to see/find. I almost did not find 9's basket. The yellow pad sign showed a straight hole where it was actually a HARD right and wrap around to the basket. I made a wrong turn after 3, but realized it on the tee box.
Other Thoughts: Here is my main thing.....A TON OF LAND OUT HERE. I think I would prefer 27 good length holes mixed in more with three, fours and fives for par then like the short holes mixed in with a FEW average holes mixed in with MASSIVE holes. I can drive 340 and had a hard time making it sometimes. I'm just saying that 27 great holes with a few bombers mixed in is better then shrinking holes so that you can have mostly bomber holes. GREAT COURSE OUT HERE THOUGH, Next time I will play Blues but still, so much land could mean more holes.

All shots needed!

1    10/20/2009   10/21/2009
Review By: Zhugs546
Pros: There were several pros to this course, including:
- Some of the longest holes in this state. North GA is known for some of its challenging wooded courses, and this course has 900' bombs. I loved being able to air out the monster drives.
- Serenity is often overlooked. I played on a weekday afternoon with some of the most beautiful weather, and only ran into 2 groups, not including the guy on the tractor cutting the grass.
- The course is well maintained. I had never played it before, and with almost 8000' of total distance I was concerned that I would get lost -- not the case. Signage was abundant and easy to decipher which direction to throw and where the pin location would be.
- Concrete pads were on every hole, including a few where the asphalt walkway was used as a pad - though these were clearly defined by gold spraypaint.
Cons: A few definite cons:

- Holes 2-6 are a joke if you look to cash in a low round. Think East Roswell, but even worse. A local told me that someone cut down a tree in the fairway on 5 in an act of vandalism, and I thought to myself "what a welcome addition to this hole." Just keep in mind that a little luck is needed through this wooded stretch in order to keep your scores from exploding.
- Course has some standing water issues, which may ruin your shoes if you're walking in the fairway on the long 8th hole.
- I would like to see an Excel spreadsheet of the scorecard uploaded onto DGCR. Pro par is not always marked on the signs at the tees, and it can be hard to discern between a 4 and a 5. This makes it hard to keep up with how many strokes you are under/over par and your cumulative score, which on this course, par does not add up to 54.
- Mach 3 baskets are often hard to find on holes in the woods and then the pine forest holes at the end. DISCcatchers would take this course to a 4.5-rating level just by themselves. But, it is an issue of money and I understand that.
Other Thoughts: This is a welcome addition to disc golf in the Metro Atlanta area, and I suspect that it will be home to a NT PDGA event within the next 5 years, as long as they can trim the fairways on 2-6. Definitely the course to play in the area if you are traveling through town and only have time for one.

Ice Up Your Arm!

1    7/15/2009   7/15/2009
Pros: There were so many things I really liked about this course. Excellent teepads from the pro/black tees. Excellent informative tee signs from the pro tees. Three sets of tees for each hole often just in gradually longer distances. Great benches, even one covered one (but I'm not sure why they built it on # 2 instead of # 14 or 15 or out in the sun someplace. I wasn't even exhausted after just playing # 1. A great variety of holes from the short technical wooded holes to the big ole open 1000 ft. bombs. Easy to follow with many next tee signs everywhere. There is a walking/jogging path which comes into play on about half of the holes but I don't think it's used much and is easy to let em pass when they are using it.
Cons: Just a couple of things keeping Mosely from getting the big 5 star rating from me. Natural pads on the red and middles. I played early in the morning and the grass was more like playing in a field than on a lawn. My feet were soaked. I don't know how often it gets mowed, it's such a huge area. The reds were sometimes more of a pitch and putt variety. I think they could be lengthened up a bit.
Other Thoughts: Most definitely a course for almost everyone, except it might be too much for the girlfriend or elementary school age crowd. It's quite a hike. I really like the fact that one could stand on the long tee, eyeball it, and then choose to play a shorter length if so desired. The locals are doing a great job with this course and I'm sure it'll just keep on getting better with time.

J.P. Moseley Park DGC

2-4    11/27/2008   6/11/2009
Review By: craigd
Pros: Affectionately dubbed "The Mose" by a few locals, this is a great course and a lot of folks consider it one of the top Atlanta courses. I can't disagree. After all, this course has a lot to offer. The course itself stands alone but mix in all the extras and it will defiantly persuade you to come back again and again. With that said, it can very tough, especially if you have an average arm or lack accuracy. If you are new to the game prepare to possible go home licking your wounds. There are some good lessons for everyone though. Everyone should be challenged at some point during the round.

One of the more obvious pros is the multiple tee pads. When all are considered, the shortest tee pad is a 140' shot. The longest tee pad comes in at over 1000"! It goes without saying that there is a nice mix of distances. If you are in the mood for a somewhat forgiving round, hit the shorter tee pads. If you're looking for a good challenge try the longer pads. Another pro is the multiple hole types. Hole number one is a relatively long throw towards the woods and lets you air out your arm a bit. Two introduces you to the woods and from then on you can expect a little of both. The open course fans and the wooded course fans will find contentment here as it is not overly dominated by one over the other. There is a good mix of shots too, including a couple of those that require a little luck. Strong throwers will especially enjoy this course. Things are marked fairly well so you won't find yourself wondering around too much on you first visit and that is always a plus. The course is mainly in its own area with only a brief brush with a mainly inactive walking trail.

You'll find lots of good amenities here at J.P. Moseley as well. A lot of the Atlanta courses are lacking concrete tee pads. You find them on some holes here and it really seems like a bonus. Most of them are in the longer positions. Brooms are at those tee pads for clearing off debris and they are also a welcomed addition. Trash cans and benches are also a nice convenience. The baskets are also in good shape.

There seems to be a pretty active group of locals who are continuing to make improvements and they maintain the course well. You'll probably run into a few during peak times and you should find them very friendly and eager to answer questions.
Cons: This course could be aggravating if you don't have an above average arm. This is not necessarily a con unless the extra strokes are going to bug you to death. There's lots of walking between holes at times and after a round it feels like you have walked more than eighteen holes, which is no big deal. The point is this is not a good course to play if you are in a big hurry.

To be honest there really isn't any big cons. Everybody has their own pet peeves and I'm sure you'll find some here just as with any other course. Just try to have a good time playing.
Other Thoughts: The park itself is clean, safe, and has a few other activities. There's a playground for the kids, walking paths, batting cages, etc. It is also quite a short drive off of I-75 on the south side of Atlanta. If you are in Atlanta you should not miss this course. Enjoy!

1    1/31/2009   2/4/2009
Review By: StPaulie
Pros: This course has a little bit of everything. A number of wooded holes, some open holes and one big long bomber hole 1000' of fun from the pro tees with a small creek waiting to grab long approaches. The park was clean and quiet with plenty of benchs and trash cans. Another nice touch is the disc golf course is seperate from the rest of the park. No worries about hikers, or picknickers being hit. There are multiple tee boxes on most holes. When I played the course was sporting it's layou for the Feb 7 Ice bowl and this should be a great tournament.
Cons: Allthough there are multiple tee pads most are dirt except for the Pro tees. However these were in good shape. A couple of the wooded fairways were pretty tight. Pretty much required luck to get through. This was not to troubleing as overall this is a quality course.
Other Thoughts: This course is definitely one you should put on your Want to play list. A found it to be a fun varied and challengeing course. The park itself seems to be in the process of being improved.

My Arm Hurts!

1    1/21/2009   1/25/2009
Review By: progprowl
Pros: 1. Course was easy to find and Navigate. Signs at each tee (missing on 14) + signs directing to the next tee. Concrete tee pads which I love, with brooms to clean off leaf debris. Garbage cans on some holes and benches.
2. The course offered challenges to all types of Games. The distance on the 500, 600, 700, and even 800ft holes were very challenging if you are not accustomed to playing that distance. The other holes require techinical shots to get through the trees. Worked out all aspects of my game.
3. Not many locals out when I played in 40F but the ones there were very helpful.
4. Lot's of oppurtunities to scores some birdies if you can throw 400 ft drives (which I can't) and make the technical shots.
Cons: One of the better courses that I have played, not too many negative things to say.
1. No flags on the baskets. They were difficult to spot in amongst the bare wood of the trees. Bright flags would avoid some of these issues.
2. No scorecard or maps available.
3. Reading the distances here on DCG review, I'm not sure what I played. I threw from the Concrete, was this yellow or Black, either way my arm was hurting at the end of the day?
Other Thoughts: I'm from San Diego and this was an eye opening experience. Playing courses with this many trees and this kind of distance is hard to find. I had a great time playing this course, even though I was by myself.

A Challange

5+    10/12/2010   12/18/2008
Review By: dandaman
This review was updated on 10/18/2010
Pros: Mach III Baskets, large concrete teepads, pretty scenery, and a diverse layout. The course is relatively free of other park activities.
Cons: In the summer months the grass grows really fast and really tall.
Other Thoughts: A varietial divese course, it is almost like playing three courses in one. After hole #1, holes 2-6 play in a tight section of old-growth woods that provides plenty of technical shots. Holes 7-13 play in mostly open spaces which allows for plenty of grip-it and rip-it types of shots. Holes 14-17 play in a new growth pine forrest and will continue to mature as the years go by. There are two par fours on the course and two par fives.

At the time of this writing the course's redesign is roughly 1 years old. The course will continue to excel as improvements continue.

Pick Your Tees, Pick Your Challenge

1    11/13/2008   11/14/2008
Review By: hooboy
Pros: Nice layout, 1-7 wooded, 8-18 mostly open. Holes 8-17 are in expansive, open, rolling farmland. It was so quiet back there the day I played, I had to stop and "listen". Reminded me of one of the many reasons I love this sport. Three sets of tees with widely varying distances. Pretty good hole maps located on the back tee box, next tee direction reasonably well marked. I was alone and never got lost. Course area is self contained, away from rest of park, save a lone walking trail. I played on a Thursday afternoon, and saw no one. Holes 8-16 feel like you are alone in your own little world. Good challenge and mix of shorter tighter holes, and longer bombers. Two par 4's over 700 and 800 feet from back tees. I'm a recreational player who goes max about 300 feet, and still made 5 birdies from the red tees. The course is fair, and you can score with good shots. I really liked this course.
Cons: Three sets of tees, but only one concrete tee pad per hole, usually the back tee (Yellow). Blue and red tees were simply stakes in the ground. LONG distances between tees, on some par 4's the red distance was less than half the yellow distance. Also, LONG distances between holes. Can make for lots of walking, so no whining! Some of the back tees were simply spray painted lines on the walking path. Some holes are missing their maps, so I had some guesswork involved. Number 7 says 265 feet from red, but was really about a 150 foot anhyzer flip.
Other Thoughts: If this course had three sets of real tee pads per hole, I'd go 4.5. As it is, its is still a good challenge, fair with good variety. Love the solitude and rolling, open terrain of holes 8-17. GA-138 exit accessible from either I-75 or I-675. You go a good 4 miles on GA-138 before you see the right fork for Miller's Mill Road, at the BP Station. I almost turned around thinking I had gone too far.

mixed variety

1    11/10/2008   11/10/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: Mixed terrain of long open hilly shots, tight woods in old growth forest, and ending in a christmas tree type area. A few real par-4's to bomb placement shots on, downhill in a tunnel. One 800' field shot lined by a fence, creek behind basket in woods at end. I was able to navigate it eventually.
Locals say it's not too well maintained, but it was being mowed as I was there!
Cons: The few woods holes (2-6) need a re-do, unrealistic fairways and even the locals don't seem to like them much at all. A few too wide-open no tree holes.
#7 is past #8 after #6, I completely missed it until I got to #18-needs sign!

2-4    8/16/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: Redneck Machismo
This review was updated on 12/9/2008
Pros: A good course completely unique to Georgia. Finally a course that actually has some real par fours and par fives. Overall very well designed.
Cons: Holes 2-6 are the weak link of this course. They are tight, unfair and typical modern disc golf holes. Without them I would have given this course a five.
Other Thoughts: The redesign on this course was quite the undertaking and was very well done. Daniel you should be proud!