Stockbridge, GA
J.P. Moseley Park Share
Uploaded By: whalaw Hole #17 (Taken 3/2010)
3 / 214ft.   3 / 286ft.   3 / 348ft.   3 / 348ft. Par / Distance:
Bench behind Hole #17 Gold Tee

Great Course...Tough for Beginners

1    4/23/2011   4/23/2011
Review By: EagleZT
Pros: Nice Signage (Updated probably for Atl Open) The Signage in the Media section is outdated.
Nice NexT signs on the front 9.

A lot of people on here bash the front nine as a waste, but I actually enjoyed it. Gave me a great workout in terms of technical shots and trying to drive my putter and see how it handles distance.

The whole course is in great shape. Some small thistles out in the fairways. Dont wear flops and your fine. Grass is cut nice and evenly. For a beginner I didnt lose any discs. (I played from the Blue-Red Tees. I alternated on some given my limits to reach the basket in a fair manner.

The Skull Island Hole #11 Left me wanting to throw more and more till I reached the "island"
Cons: It is a def challenge for beginners. 2 Great Tunnel shot opportunities punished my flex shots

Its over 8,000 ft. Which is out of range for a beginner like me, but those 900' par 5's to me were legit because not everyone can score an eagle.

Other Thoughts: I dont have a lot of negatives since I played it once. I was kinda drooling at the fact a little on that the one hole I stole a birdie from, I was wondering that Climo himself prob birdied it too last weekend at the AO.

Its not a beginners course. Please take this into consideration. My noodle arm can barely squeak to 300' and those par 5's shredded my scorecard.

Great course overall. Will visit more often as it is between my home and Lenora Park in Gwinnett.

Nice variety

1    2/21/2011   3/2/2011
Review By: gdub58
Pros: Nice mix of wooded/open holes and multiple tee pads make it a course you could play many times without getting tired of it.

A few really standout holes (8, 13, 15) and only a couple of boring open holes.

Well-designed and well-maintained with lots of benches and good tee pads.

Cons: A couple of the short wooded holes don't have a good line available off the tee.

Some nasty thorn bushes in the rough (which seems to be a signature feature in this part of Georgia).

Signs needs to be updated, as they didn't always reflect the current design.

We played early on a weekday morning, and a few times we had to wait for walkers to clear our path. I would imagine on a nice weekend that this place is a zoo.
Other Thoughts: This course is in a really nice multi-use park, and I think the designers did a really nice job with the land they had to work with.

Take a map, as the flow isn't always easy to follow.

Good Mix

1    2/21/2011   3/2/2011
Review By: Marc B.
Pros: Some nice grip n' rip holes with big D needed. Beautiful, quiet park once you are away from the madeness of the baseball mom's violently cheering for their kids. The back 9 really opens up for some fun play. Nice teepads for gold tee's. Covered benches at tee's on several holes.
Cons: Good mix of long and short but the short ones were really short. Tee signs could really use some work.
Other Thoughts: Kinda reminds me of Central Park...but better.

Top course - great condition

1    2/19/2011   2/20/2011
Review By: Mr_E
Pros: Long course with good signage on the Gold tees showing distance and basket placement. Nice covered seating at many tee-squares. Cement tees for Gold/Blue.
Cons: Long course; lots of walking; heavily wooded for portions. Bring plenty of water on hot days; little shade once you're done with the first few holes. On a flight path into the airport - lots of jet noise. Nothing too awful.
Other Thoughts: Recommended for Fall, Winter, Spring - Summer might be too brutal.

Challenging and Peaceful

5+    1/9/2011   1/9/2011
Review By: WAS1
Pros: JP Moseley is a mixed course of short heavily wooded, moderately wooded and mostly open grip and rip holes. The course has several true par four and par five holes. Every hole has a 6' x 12' concrete pad. Many of the holes have benches and trash cans. Some of the benches have bench shelters. The course is separated from other park activities.
Cons: The course can be grueling on a hot summer day.

Other Thoughts: I consider JP Moseley the best public course in metro Atlanta. JPM is the second longest public course in Georgia. From a 189' heavily wooded skill shot to several 900' plus long holes will give you a wide variety disc golf holes to play. The out and back layout will separates you from the other park activates. This combination will be challenging and will give you a peaceful disc golf outing.

Awesome!

1    8/21/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: bhuff
Pros: This is an amazing course. Super long for the big guns and there are multiple tee pads for any new comers. I don't recall but there is probably over 8 holes that are 800+ft. Very technical shot placement required on almost every hole. Uses a variety of different shots.
Cons: The course starts to open up on the longer holes so the sun may be a factor in your experience. Could of used a water fountain or water spickit near start of the course. Some bugs and briars.
Other Thoughts: Overall fun course. Good exercise. Talked to some locals that were really friendly. Very challenging and fun. Recommended to anyone who loves this sport.

Grass cut

1    5/5/2010   5/5/2010
Review By: angelofmischief
Pros: Challenging
Cons: Poison and briars.
Other Thoughts: 05/05/2010

Thanks to the guys that mow out at Moseley, the grass is freshly mowed up to hole #9 as of this afternoon and they will be back to finish tomorrow. Also a big "THANK YOU" to JPZ for spraying all the poison ivy and sumac. Looking good!

One of ATL's best

1    3/17/2010   3/17/2010
Review By: gcrussell4
Pros: I will try to stay focused this review as most of this information has already been shared, but there are some things that I wanted to highlight.

First, this course is an absolutely outstanding use of the park land that it is given. The course is very balanced and fair and the pars are accurate. When I played, based on basket locations, there was one par 4 and three par 5's. All of the par 5 holes had very distinct challenges that made them much more than just long bomb holes. Hole 8 had very clear landing spots that you needed to hit in order to set up your next shot. Hole 9 had a mando which set you up to play from the open field, to a wooden alley that framed the basket (with OB long). Hole 13 had OB along the entire length of the hole as well as just behind the basket. This made each of the long holes much more fun and challenging than some long holes I have played on other courses.

Secondly, this course has a much better balance than many of its Southern sisters. I live in Texas and we have an overabundance of long, less technical holes. This seems to lead to many of our locals having very big arms, but not the best accuracy. In the majority of Southern courses that I have played there are very few chances to really "grip and rip" a driver. Holes often have such tight, wooded lines that it takes a good deal of luck to be successful IMO. From what I have seen this leads to a bunch of players who are very adept at the technical aspect of the game, but very inept at the power aspect. The J. P. Moseley course takes the better elements of both styles and I would imagine that if this was your home course, you would develop into a very well balanced, talented player.

Third, I was very glad to find that every tee was easy to find and the course had a very good obvious flow. Every single gold (and black 13) box was concrete. There were covered benches and trash cans all over the place (the covered benches were very handy as I played on a rainy day). The baskets, unlike what some earlier reviewers said, were very good baskets that caught well and were not a problem at all. The course seems to be very well upkept, they even had the island green marked off on hole 11. Overall, an excellent facility.
Cons: I will be a bit nitpicky so that I can have some cons although I will give the disclaimer that none of these things detracted from the experience of playing.

First, could use some updating on the tee signs. A few of them were off although the scorecard I printed from this site was mostly accurate.

Second, I didn't know that 11 was an island green until I got up near the basket, this info would be helpful to know beforehand.

Third, a few classic southern, throw it towards the line and hope that it luckily sneaks through the trees so you can have a birdy putt holes. Not many, but 2, 3, 4, and kind of 6 all had a luck element to them. You could make the same very good shot that could catch a tree one day and be parked for a birdie the next.
Other Thoughts: I have played most of the Atlanta area's best courses (according to DGCR reviews) since my parents-in-law moved down here. From my outsider's perspective the rankings of what I have played goes like this:

1st (tie) JP Moseley park
1st (tie) White Oak Park (Dallas, GA)
3rd Central Park DGC (Cumming, GA)
4th Rosewood-Dekalb at Redan Park (Redan, GA)
5th East Roswell Park (Roswell, GA)

I still have a few more courses in the area to go to, but if you are in town, keep this list in mind. I think it is a good place to start when deciding how to divide your time up amongst courses.

Worth the drive

2-4    3/6/2010   3/13/2010
Review By: Subicon
This review was updated on 7/21/2013
Pros: I really love this course. It has a wide variety of open and wooded holes. I like that each hole has a four different tee positions, so players of all levels can be challenged.

The course is well marked and easy to navigate even if it is your first time playing. It has quite a few covered benches, which is awesome when the weather gets hot.
Cons: -Baskets could be in better shape, but they get the job done.
-Parts of the course turn very soggy if it has rained in the previous few days, so bring some boots if it has.

HUUUGE course.

1    11/8/2009   11/8/2009
Review By: BobbyC13
Pros: This is a very good course that plays very long. Some creative holes here, LONG holes here, wooded and open holes here. Bomber drives and finesse drives. Thrwing into woods, and throwing out of woods. It's all here. Yellow Tees are concrete, all pads are easy to find. Quality baskets.
Cons: I will start by saying that I enjoyed myself out here and am not "MOSE" bashing by any means here. Could use more NexT signs, either flags or markers on the baskets as some were hard to see/find. I almost did not find 9's basket. The yellow pad sign showed a straight hole where it was actually a HARD right and wrap around to the basket. I made a wrong turn after 3, but realized it on the tee box.
Other Thoughts: Here is my main thing.....A TON OF LAND OUT HERE. I think I would prefer 27 good length holes mixed in more with three, fours and fives for par then like the short holes mixed in with a FEW average holes mixed in with MASSIVE holes. I can drive 340 and had a hard time making it sometimes. I'm just saying that 27 great holes with a few bombers mixed in is better then shrinking holes so that you can have mostly bomber holes. GREAT COURSE OUT HERE THOUGH, Next time I will play Blues but still, so much land could mean more holes.