Aiken, SC
Odell Weeks Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #6 (Taken 4/2010)

Down to Basics

1    5/2/2010   5/2/2010
Review By: CouchP
Pros: - Holes are a moderately good distance, but not long
- Nice leisurely atmosphere
- No real chance of losing discs
- Convenient to food establishments
- Nice playground for the kids (and the disc golf course is mostly in sight of the playground)
Cons: - People wandering across the fairways
- Not a lot of variety in the holes
- Some holes very near playground and picnic tables
- Not an extremely challenging course
Other Thoughts: My son and I went late on a Sunday afternoon and there were a lot of people wandering through the course. We had some minor issues locating hole #1, since we had parked near hole 6. We also had issues locating the next tee on the first few holes. At one point a family set up their softball game in the middle of the Hole 3 fairway. Fortunately, we were already done there. I would certainly consider playing there again, with the whole family, but just for fun, not the challenge.

Rec course in a park

1    4/8/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/2/2010
Pros: This is a small Rec course, located in a city park. Not a professional course!
-Teepads are nicely done.
-Located in a park. If you have Children with you, there is a playground.
-Navigation was easy, despite there not being any maps. (I printed the map from this site)
-Plenty of garbage cans located throughout the park.
-The holes played quickly, perfect for a quick game if you are traveling, and you don't have much time.
-Perfect for beginners.
-DISCatcher baskets
-It is located in a park
-This is a really nice little park, very well manicured.
-Good lengths, for being such a small course. At least three holes were 300+
-This is a course you go out, throw the disc around, and have fun. Not one to take seriously.
-The course is real easy to find.
-Had a good "Fun Factor" for me, I was kinda bummed that I didn't have time to take in another round.
Cons: -The major one is that beings this is a park, could make playing here on an average to busy day a real challenge.
-There is a walking trail that runs the perimeter of the course. There were a lot of early morning walkers when I played.
-In my opinion, a hole should never play close to a playground. Ever! Hole 7 appeared to angled enough that errant discs might not be a problem, but still... be paying attention on holes 7 & 8.
-Because it is a park, there will be people milling around. I had a few people wander in front of me.
Other Thoughts: I showed up here real early on a thursday morning. There were a lot of people walking along the trail. There were a few people wandering around, I had to wait for one guy to walk across with his dog. It was a nice city park with a course located in it. I bumped it up to 2.5, because I felt that somebody did put some effort to make this a course a nice and fitting addition to this park. I wouldn't drive out of my way to play this course, or make a special trip. This is a course for the people of Aiken, South Carolina. If you happen to be in town, stop by, take in a round, and have fun.

C+ = As average as the come for 9 holers

2-4    9/20/2007   5/5/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.