Aiken, SC
Odell Weeks Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #5 (Taken 4/2010)

Odell Weeks: 9 at a Time

5+    1/11/2012   1/11/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Odell Weeks is a recreational center with walking trails, picnic areas, a playground, tennis courts, a gym, and a nice little nine hole disc golf course. First off, all of the equipment is in place and in good condition. Each tee is marked with a short post, and each post has the hole number and a bag hook. All tee pads are concrete and good size. The DISCatcher baskets are all in fine working order.

Overall, the park is flat and open, with a variety of mature trees scattered throughout. Lengthwise, the holes are short to average distance, all between 240 and 320 feet, and all par 3. Fairways are open enough to give you options on most holes, and pinpoint accuracy is not required. Great beginner course. I like to use the left to right holes to work on my forehand drives, because they are reachable, and the ground usually permits nice skips and flares. I am capable of parking any one of the holes, but usually end up around par on the scorecard. Plays fast, so more than one round is easy to accomplish.
Cons: The other park users may interfere with play occasionally. The bag hooks are low to the ground, my strap is longer than the post I think. The tee pads have a cat stenciled on each, and the distance to the pin, but it is hard to read the small numbers on most of them. Wind was blowing on my most recent visit, making my below average putting even more difficult. The wide open and short layout is fun to me, but not really very challenging, highly skilled players will not be impressed at all.
Other Thoughts: I like to play Odell Weeks park because it is fun, easy enough that my girlfriend can also enjoy it, and her kids can play on the playground that is visible from most points on the course. It is not a stunning course, but is enjoyable for the average disc golfer. I don't play here often, but I would like to think one day I will get hot, string together a few birds, stay away from the bogies, and really post a nice score here. Hasn't happened for me yet, but I'll keep trying.

Typical City Course With A Little Challenge Thrown In!

1    7/16/2009   7/18/2009
Pros: OW is a typical little flat city parks course with scattered mature trees It's a great place to bring someone for their first DG experience. The baskets are old but they catch just fine and the course flows nicely. It's easy to follow without any next tee signs. I think what sets it aside from most of these type courses is A) It's a well thought out, interesting design and B) It's long enough to challenge the "average" player. WARNING-Your idea of average might vary from mine. Distances range from 240' to about 320'. Pros and advanced players stay away. You won't be challenged or interested. Most baskets have a tree or two or three right in the way. Just enough to make you think a little or vary your shot. Being flat and grassy, the course would be an ideal place to work on your rollers. There are a couple of nice ACE ops.
Cons: Like it's been said before, the course is what it is. It's not a championship course, with elevation or water or majestic drives or beautiful scenery.
Other Thoughts: I'd play this course if I lived close by. If your driving through Aiken, stop and play a quick round or two. You can get through in about 20 minutes or so.

Odell Weeks

1    6/1/2009   6/1/2009
Review By: RoMav9394
Pros: This course plays very quickly. You can get in 18 holes in 45 minutes (play the nine twice that is). Most of the holes are guarded by trees so the fact they are all around 280-300 ft still keeps it entertaining for a quick round.
Cons: Not much bad to say except on nice days you might have to avoid some people who are not paying attention and will just walk right in front of you.
Other Thoughts: I will try to get some pics of this course soon because I play there regularly when I don't feel like driving more than five minutes.