Aiken, SC
Odell Weeks Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #3 (Taken 4/2010)

Home course

5+    5/3/2014   6/11/2014
Review By: johnmatkinson1
Pros: Nice mix of long, mid and short shots. Hole locations are easy to find and marked well. Nice to have 18 in such a small area.
Cons: February we had a huge Ice storm which wrecked havoc on the trees and course overall. Hope the park can shape some of the trees up and remove a lot of the dead debris.
Public park so be patient.

Odell Weeks: 9 at a Time

5+    1/11/2012   1/11/2012
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: Odell Weeks is a recreational center with walking trails, picnic areas, a playground, tennis courts, a gym, and a nice little nine hole disc golf course. First off, all of the equipment is in place and in good condition. Each tee is marked with a short post, and each post has the hole number and a bag hook. All tee pads are concrete and good size. The DISCatcher baskets are all in fine working order.

Overall, the park is flat and open, with a variety of mature trees scattered throughout. Lengthwise, the holes are short to average distance, all between 240 and 320 feet, and all par 3. Fairways are open enough to give you options on most holes, and pinpoint accuracy is not required. Great beginner course. I like to use the left to right holes to work on my forehand drives, because they are reachable, and the ground usually permits nice skips and flares. I am capable of parking any one of the holes, but usually end up around par on the scorecard. Plays fast, so more than one round is easy to accomplish.
Cons: The other park users may interfere with play occasionally. The bag hooks are low to the ground, my strap is longer than the post I think. The tee pads have a cat stenciled on each, and the distance to the pin, but it is hard to read the small numbers on most of them. Wind was blowing on my most recent visit, making my below average putting even more difficult. The wide open and short layout is fun to me, but not really very challenging, highly skilled players will not be impressed at all.
Other Thoughts: I like to play Odell Weeks park because it is fun, easy enough that my girlfriend can also enjoy it, and her kids can play on the playground that is visible from most points on the course. It is not a stunning course, but is enjoyable for the average disc golfer. I don't play here often, but I would like to think one day I will get hot, string together a few birds, stay away from the bogies, and really post a nice score here. Hasn't happened for me yet, but I'll keep trying.

Pretty decent

2-4    8/14/2010   8/30/2010
Review By: rpeterson24
Pros: Very open, great beginner course, impossible to lose a disc. Quiet, doesn't look like it's used much. Nice tee boxes. Nice baskets
Cons: No much, it's a bit open in places, not all that challenging but great for beginners or families. Could be longer.

Down to Basics

1    5/2/2010   5/2/2010
Review By: CouchP
Pros: - Holes are a moderately good distance, but not long
- Nice leisurely atmosphere
- No real chance of losing discs
- Convenient to food establishments
- Nice playground for the kids (and the disc golf course is mostly in sight of the playground)
Cons: - People wandering across the fairways
- Not a lot of variety in the holes
- Some holes very near playground and picnic tables
- Not an extremely challenging course
Other Thoughts: My son and I went late on a Sunday afternoon and there were a lot of people wandering through the course. We had some minor issues locating hole #1, since we had parked near hole 6. We also had issues locating the next tee on the first few holes. At one point a family set up their softball game in the middle of the Hole 3 fairway. Fortunately, we were already done there. I would certainly consider playing there again, with the whole family, but just for fun, not the challenge.

Rec course in a park

1    4/8/2010   4/10/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 5/2/2010
Pros: This is a small Rec course, located in a city park. Not a professional course!
-Teepads are nicely done.
-Located in a park. If you have Children with you, there is a playground.
-Navigation was easy, despite there not being any maps. (I printed the map from this site)
-Plenty of garbage cans located throughout the park.
-The holes played quickly, perfect for a quick game if you are traveling, and you don't have much time.
-Perfect for beginners.
-DISCatcher baskets
-It is located in a park
-This is a really nice little park, very well manicured.
-Good lengths, for being such a small course. At least three holes were 300+
-This is a course you go out, throw the disc around, and have fun. Not one to take seriously.
-The course is real easy to find.
-Had a good "Fun Factor" for me, I was kinda bummed that I didn't have time to take in another round.
Cons: -The major one is that beings this is a park, could make playing here on an average to busy day a real challenge.
-There is a walking trail that runs the perimeter of the course. There were a lot of early morning walkers when I played.
-In my opinion, a hole should never play close to a playground. Ever! Hole 7 appeared to angled enough that errant discs might not be a problem, but still... be paying attention on holes 7 & 8.
-Because it is a park, there will be people milling around. I had a few people wander in front of me.
Other Thoughts: I showed up here real early on a thursday morning. There were a lot of people walking along the trail. There were a few people wandering around, I had to wait for one guy to walk across with his dog. It was a nice city park with a course located in it. I bumped it up to 2.5, because I felt that somebody did put some effort to make this a course a nice and fitting addition to this park. I wouldn't drive out of my way to play this course, or make a special trip. This is a course for the people of Aiken, South Carolina. If you happen to be in town, stop by, take in a round, and have fun.

A nice day in the park

1    11/26/2009   11/30/2009
Review By: atl scott
Pros: Concrete pads with distances marked on pads
Some variety of shots needed
Map in park office (with friendly employees!)
Cons: Only 9 holes
No elevation or long holes
Walking path around course
Other Thoughts: I decided to play this course with a couple of casual players over the holidays and we had a good time. It is much more fun than the other course in Aiken, Perry Memorial and I would recommend 18 holes here instead of 9 at each.

I liked the concrete tee pads and the fact that the distances were spraypainted (stenciled) on them. The course was relatively mild with birdies possible on every hole but a few well placed trees here and there to try to stop you.

If in the area I would play this course again just for the pure pleasure of a nice round of golf in a nice setting.

Typical City Course With A Little Challenge Thrown In!

1    7/16/2009   7/18/2009
Pros: OW is a typical little flat city parks course with scattered mature trees It's a great place to bring someone for their first DG experience. The baskets are old but they catch just fine and the course flows nicely. It's easy to follow without any next tee signs. I think what sets it aside from most of these type courses is A) It's a well thought out, interesting design and B) It's long enough to challenge the "average" player. WARNING-Your idea of average might vary from mine. Distances range from 240' to about 320'. Pros and advanced players stay away. You won't be challenged or interested. Most baskets have a tree or two or three right in the way. Just enough to make you think a little or vary your shot. Being flat and grassy, the course would be an ideal place to work on your rollers. There are a couple of nice ACE ops.
Cons: Like it's been said before, the course is what it is. It's not a championship course, with elevation or water or majestic drives or beautiful scenery.
Other Thoughts: I'd play this course if I lived close by. If your driving through Aiken, stop and play a quick round or two. You can get through in about 20 minutes or so.

Odell Weeks

1    6/1/2009   6/1/2009
Review By: RoMav9394
Pros: This course plays very quickly. You can get in 18 holes in 45 minutes (play the nine twice that is). Most of the holes are guarded by trees so the fact they are all around 280-300 ft still keeps it entertaining for a quick round.
Cons: Not much bad to say except on nice days you might have to avoid some people who are not paying attention and will just walk right in front of you.
Other Thoughts: I will try to get some pics of this course soon because I play there regularly when I don't feel like driving more than five minutes.

C+ = As average as the come for 9 holers

2-4    9/20/2007   5/5/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- B
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- C+
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- C-
5) Bonus amount for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- N/A
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Suprising

1    11/19/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: Innovadude
This review was updated on 11/24/2008
Pros: -Good solid design no hokey shots
-Plays quick
-Easy to navigate! With map online, at msg board, and stocked in box, and signs.
-Open park setting
-Cement tees now
-Allows a beginner to learn, anyone else it's just tough/long enough to be interesting and enjoyable.
Cons: None really, it is what it is and it works.
Other Thoughts: Don't know why it got 2 thumbs downs, that's all that needed to be said about this course. There are no cons- it's good for what it is designed to be and has no issues at all.