Federal Heights (Denver), CO
Camenisch Park - Badlands DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #17 (Taken 8/2008)
Tee sign #17

an atypical Denver metro course

1    7/15/2014   7/15/2014
Review By: Rowick
Pros: nothing like most courses I've played in Denver I.E. not flat at all, a lot of trees and pretty tough.
Every hole was a different challenge
Cons: Signage was Terrible!! if I could even call the signage decent I would give it at least a 3.5 if not 4. Best example; The tee pad for 4 has the number 3 in the corner and I'm pretty sure the sign next to it said it was hole 5 though it was though to tell with how faded it was. Most of the sings if there were even present resembled something that an eight year old would make at summer camp and that's before all the sun fade and cracking and graffiti I guess that's what you get for putting a disc golf course right next to about five different trailer parks. Even the few signs that were legible were not real helpful because of the multiple pin placements. I'm all for variety but do we really need seven pin placements on some holes? some goals had numbers on them most didn't I threw to the wrong goal more than once

some holes are too hard at lest for a noob like me the guys ahead of me who were way better then I am both lost a disc at in the lake at 12 so I just skipped it

also leash laws are apparently not real well enforced(which is odd given the course borders the local PD) I saw about five dogs including one pit bull none of them on a leash. It wasn't a big deal this time but what happens when someones dog thinks your trying to play fetch with it and its not on a leash?
Other Thoughts: glad I made the dive from Aurora very different than say Expo park I would like to come back when I've got a lot more experience. bring someone who has played it before if at all possible

Challenging enough

1    2/27/2014   2/27/2014
Review By: asjzn6
Pros: Teepads 3 (not all facing the right direction)
Tee signs 1
Baskets 3
Flow 2
Difficulty 2.5
This course had some of what i like risk reward on downhill shots and elevation changes. the practice basket set up was legit
Cons: Course flow was a bit tough. maybe some next tee signs. Based on the 2 maps available they had a redesign at some point. I don't mind multiple pins but have a way to mark what pin the basket is in.
Other Thoughts: I met some extremely nice folks here and had a chance to chat. I always feel pleasantly greeted by locals here in denver.

Another dissapointment in the Denver area.

2-4    7/30/2011   7/30/2011
Review By: drgnslyr221
Pros: Great opportunities to grip it and rip it. There are 18 tees and 18 baskets.
Three practice baskets so you don't have to feel like your in other peoples way.
The grass is very green and beautiful. There are also great views of the Rockies.
Cons: Horrible layout. Felt like the designer was like "Ok, we're going to go straight downhill than straight back up and repeat this for most of the course."
The creek had a lot of potential, but there was not one creek hole that I felt was even worth a damn. Holes five and six felt like the tee was placed close to the creek and the basket placed at an arbitrary position through some trees.
Might be the worst marked course in the Denver area. The second tee is behind a knoll.
Never really enjoyed this course. I played three times and each time it seemed to get worse.
Other Thoughts: If you live less than 10 miles away than it's a decent course to go get a round in. I moved to the Denver area about two years ago from the ft-worth-Dallas area which has am abundant supply of great courses. While I love Denver and feel more at home here than I ever did in Texas the low number of good courses is disappointing.

A Slippery Slope

5+    3/12/2011   3/19/2011
Review By: Headbabe
Pros: It is still the go to Denver Metro course to measure your game.Still challenging enough to drag me back. A good place to work on up and down hill shots in prep to throw mountain courses.
Cons: Sometimes making changes to a course is not a good thing. The nasty swamp that comes into play on hole #1, #2, and 5 has been a problem for years. Tee box #2 now basically gets bombed on by Hole #9 shots. Most of the tee changes and "improvments" along low channel have been disappointing.
Other Thoughts: This course was more of a 3.5 -4.0 rating a few years ago but has been on a downward sprial for some time now.

1    10/3/2009   9/29/2010
Review By: Dreeley
Pros: Big, Open Park with moderate traffic. Good course to play if you would like to really open up and throw hard. A couple fun/technical shots.
Cons: No Imagination for this place. Throw down a hill, then up it, then across it, then here's a few completely blind shots with horrible signs to tell you where they're at. Very misleading/confusing layout at times.
This park could maybe have been put together better, but they did okay for the space they had... I guess.
Just not a fun place to play. Many other courses around to play.
Other Thoughts: I think they only reason why this place gets higher ratings is because it's not a starter course. You def. need some experience if you wish to score well here (even). WIth that being said, there really isn't horrible traffic. I've played here more than a few times, but when I started to get better, I realized how bad of a course this really is.

Worth a visit, come with a guide

1    3/7/2010   3/9/2010
Review By: denny ritner
This review was updated on 4/6/2010
Pros: This course lives in a very large "bowl" (probably 50 acres total?) The bowl has lots of undulations that makes for very tricky winds. Badlands provides a great wind training ground.

There are several very nice vantage points and fun shots that feature big elevation changes. There are lots of opportunities to let discs rip and watch them fly.

The yellow discatchers are nicely visible from a distance. They are old, but do feature added inner chains and catch reasonably well.

The cement tees are large and not cracked on the holes that have them. The "blair witch" holes yet to have cement tees, but are actually provide a very nice technical challenge and are the best on the course.

Walking the hills provides a great physical workout. If you're looking to get in shape while disc golfing, this is the best course in Denver for that purpose.
Cons: The signage is confusing at some points. Some of the holes have up to six basket locations and many of the tees point to several baskets that could possibly be the hole. There aren't any "next tee" signs.

Several of the cement tees have significant slopes to them. The uphill tees slope uphill and some of the other tees have large sideways slopes. The ground should have been built up and reinforced prior to pouring cement quite a few holes.

The baskets have golf flags, which I appreciate, but most of them are pretty ratty looking and could use replacing.

The use of terrain is largely unimaginative, featuring mostly holes straight up and straight down the hills.

There are several points at which drives are thrown very close to other baskets. Some of the holes actually criss-cross. The 9th hole does not return to the parking lot. There's only one or two "two-shot" holes. There is a HUGE amount of space in this park that could have been better utilized.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed my playing experience here and would play it frequently if I lived close by for the leg workout.

As previously mentioned the "blair witch" holes provide short/medium technical holes of interest, but they are still rather rough. It won't take too much work, but there does need to be some clearing of bushes and small limbs that invade into the fairways. Also, these holes are quite tricky to navigate.

Remember: Don't be a dirty disc golfer. If you pack it in, pack it out!

hated it first time - it got better

2-4    4/26/2004   4/26/2009
Review By: shortz
Pros: up shots and down shots for good, varied holes. you can leave your kids at water world and have a good time for a little bit. ;)
Cons: hard to know what you're supposed to throw at. too many baskets close to the one you're supposed to throw at. If it's your first time you better join a veteran.
Other Thoughts: when I left from the first time I was sure I would never return, but I did a couple times and it is better when you know where to throw. not a bad course overall.

Bring a tour guide and a bottle of oxygen

1    9/3/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
Pros: - Elevation, Elevation, Elevation. You're not in the mountains, but it sure feels like you are. Had to take a break after a couple of holes after getting dizzy.
- Tee signs show the multiple pin placements and where the next tee is in relation to where you are... this is something that I have found is often overlooked.
- Nice view of the mountains to the east.
- Practice basket is a nice way to get warmed up.
- Quite a few benches and trash cans.
Cons: - Even with detailed tees I found myself wandering around for as much as 5-10 minutes per hole looking for the next basket. Multiple tees are usually a good thing, but they're a hindrance in this case. The possible pin locations are too spread out.
- The pond is among the nastiest bodies of water that I've seen in my young life. If there's a such thing as a Mutant Lost Disc Monster, I'd bet that it would form in this pond.
Other Thoughts: - I wouldn't recommend attempting this course unless you play it with a local or have 2-3 hours to burn. The elevation is challenging and will flat out make you keel over if you don't know where you're going.