Federal Heights (Denver), CO
Camenisch Park - Badlands DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #9 (Taken 8/2008)
Pond view from basket #9

HUGE!

2-4    8/20/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: Dooley
Pros: The park this beautiful. Huge open space with large rolling hills. If you like to drive this is your course cause you'll be driving twice on some holes.
Cons: There are some serious layout problems in my opinion. For such a huge open space and beautiful park, shooting downhill, than uphill, than downhill, than uphill, than downhill, (you get the idea), Gets OLD. There is room for more baskets for sure, and a layout change would propel this course up the rankings. Bring Water and Be in Shape!
Other Thoughts: Great locals at these Denver area courses! Be sure to check out one of the ROSS brothers in the parking lot for some cool and unusual discs, as well as all the great ones. Oh and they deliver!

Excellent course...from a tourist....

1    10/30/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: jacob_seal
Pros: First things first, I'm a tourist from Louisiana and I had a few hours to kill, so i checked out this course today. The thin air and the hilly nature of the course pretty well wore me out....by hole 10 I was sucking wind....making the rest of the course very difficult for me.....lol. Moving on....

The baskets were all in good shape, and were topped with flags....making them easy to see. It is hard to tell which basket you are throwing at, though....due to some holes being quite close together. I teamed up with two locals who were very helpful, and a good time was had by all....James and Brad, thanks guys.
The tees are concrete, and most were in good shape...all of them were playable even with cracking. The tee signs were decent compared to what we have where I'm from, but with 4 or 5 hole placements, it was still hard to find the baskets. I did like that the tee signs showed all possible placements and then the distance to each placement. At my local courses I usually just have to guess. =).

The course design is fantastic. It is ALL about elevation changes. There are some tricky places to get around some trees, as well as water hazards. Several downhill holes are nice birdie opportunities, while the uphill shots are really hard. Hole 1 is a really cool downhill drive. I ripped a nice one there.

I didn't notice any water or restroom facilities. I had forgotten to get a bottle of water, and I was famished by the end. I was riding the public RTD Bus....just take bus 31 from downtown and it lets you off at w 90th....the course is 2 blocks east of there. On my way back I stopped in at memories sports bar, which is right by the bus stop and had 2 glasses of water and a coke.....heavy drinker i know.....it was the best 2 dollars I ever spent. Anyways, overall a fun and challenging course....the people were nice....the course was well maintained. great mountain views to the west. I had a great time. I'll be back if I ever get back to Denver.
Cons: There isn't a whole lot of "beautification" here. The mountain view is nice, but the course is not impressive from that standpoint. There are some trees and the pond, but they aren't trimmed well and there is mostly underbrush around the pond and the stream. Also, it's not in the best part of town. I didn't feel threatened in any way, but it seemed to be a more seedy part of town. It's probably just in my head. Everyone on the bus was very courteous and got up to let ladies sit down....
Other Thoughts: There is a back 9 that one of the guys I met there says is quite difficult. If I come back....I may try that. we'll see...

You Won't Be Disapointed

5+    10/29/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: dcarpent
Pros: Spectacular course, every hole is a challenge. Elevation changes cover this park, downhill bombs, uphill struggles, I don't think there is a flat hole on the course. There is a great balance to the Badlands, the long holes give you a chance to open it up with some long drives, while the short holes are tight and difficult. It may not seem like there is that many trees on this course, but the design brings the mature trees into play masterfully. The transition from well kept park grass to natural prairie terrain gives Badlands immense character. Some very fun holes, #9 is a steep downhill ace opportunity, #12 plays right over a lake, #16 throws over a ridge. The long holes we'll frustrate even the big guns, and you'll have to work for those birdies. Tee-boxes are in good shape, baskets all have flags, numerous benches and trash cans, and more pin placements than I've seen on any other course in CO.
Cons: The tee-signs are in pretty bad shape. They started as poorly drawn sketches that were hard to see on the black background, and now they are weathered and covered in graffiti. It can be pretty hard to decipher these signs on such a hilly course, especially with so many placements for every hole. The ponds and creek are pretty nasty, and can smell pretty bad. It could be easy to lose a disc in the thick growth by the creek, the water hazards, or the backyards near a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: This one shouldn't be missed, I love the hills, I've played mountain courses with less elevation changes than this course. The last time I played I noticed a few extra holes off in the woods between hole #12 and #13. Apparently there is an extra nine holes with seven baskets and two posts. Right off the path on the way to the #13 tee-box there is a dirt tee lined by rail-road ties and a sign written in sharpie that says, "The Blair Witch Project Back Nine." I was told the holes are covered in trees, and very difficult. No signs and I'm not sure how long they've existed. I didn't have time to play them, but I will soon.

Solid Course

2-4    10/27/2008   10/27/2008
Review By: pjaxon
Pros: Great layout, good tees, and excellent baskets. Each basket has a flag on top to make it easy to see from the elevated tees. Offers a good mix of birdie opportunities and lots of challenging holes. Those that complain of the hills are just out of shape. Big downhill shots let you grip-it-and-rip-it... uphill shots make you work for your par. Hard to find such a good course so close to a big city. Comparable to Estes Park, but without the drive into Estes.
Cons: A little tough to find a few tees if you don't have a veteran with you. Bring a map or meet up with someone that has played it before. Most tee boxes are easy to find.. just a couple that are tough.
Other Thoughts: There are 27 holes and I hear they back-back 9 is very challenging as it is deep in the woods. Nice addition to an already outstanding course.

Very Good Course

5+    10/16/2008   10/22/2008
Review By: Usher
This review was updated on 10/23/2008
Pros: Overall this course is very fun and challenging to play. There are some tough holes and some that you can ace. Nice tee boxes and the baskets are in good condition.
Cons: Lots of uphill/downhill walking and tough water hazard on #12. The signs could use a little work and for 1st time players, it can be hard to find the next hole.
Other Thoughts: One of my favorite courses to play in North Denver Metro Area.

Winded

5+    10/6/2008   10/17/2008
Review By: Camgolfer
Pros: This course gets some calories off. There are many pin placements and it keeps the play interesting.
Cons: The constant up and down makes you a bit tired and can effect the game of beginning and younger players. The smell can be a little ripe in the summer.
Other Thoughts: This course is the first real disc golf course I had ever played. I love coming back to it. It is very well used by disc players. They keep it well maintained and change pin placements often. The signs could use a little updating.

5+    10/13/2008   10/14/2008
Review By: DigIt
Pros: This course is a very fun and challenging beast. It is a hike and a half and that's a good thing. Some real bomb holes and even right off the bat #1 is a huge downhill. Pins change at a good rate and it's kept fairly well too. "Back" 9 can get stuffy in the summer but in the fall it's the crown jewel of a round at the BL.
Cons: The lake is a toxic pit that, when touched, makes your soul dirty so you have to drink holy water. Some kids are always up to their necks in it to sell me back my discs like adolescent mermen who I mock from on high hole #12. Oh and the tee signs are a little rough.

Other Thoughts: If I had a person coming from out of town I would take them to Badlands for it's challenge and it's relative proximity to my house. When you're sweating to beat the band because it's 100 degrees and you look up at the ancient gang hieroglyphics totally obscuring the tee sign telling you where the next pin is remember, it's not called Goodlands.

Bring a tour guide and a bottle of oxygen

1    9/3/2008   9/11/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
Pros: - Elevation, Elevation, Elevation. You're not in the mountains, but it sure feels like you are. Had to take a break after a couple of holes after getting dizzy.
- Tee signs show the multiple pin placements and where the next tee is in relation to where you are... this is something that I have found is often overlooked.
- Nice view of the mountains to the east.
- Practice basket is a nice way to get warmed up.
- Quite a few benches and trash cans.
Cons: - Even with detailed tees I found myself wandering around for as much as 5-10 minutes per hole looking for the next basket. Multiple tees are usually a good thing, but they're a hindrance in this case. The possible pin locations are too spread out.
- The pond is among the nastiest bodies of water that I've seen in my young life. If there's a such thing as a Mutant Lost Disc Monster, I'd bet that it would form in this pond.
Other Thoughts: - I wouldn't recommend attempting this course unless you play it with a local or have 2-3 hours to burn. The elevation is challenging and will flat out make you keel over if you don't know where you're going.

great course

5+    9/4/2008   9/6/2008
Review By: cobra42796
Pros: very well maintained, great challenge for new to intermediate players.
Cons: arggg.....water! if you dont watch your throws on a few holes your likely to end up in the pond
Other Thoughts: love this course. if you have played it in the past few months they have moved the pins, i personally have not been playing for a long time (1 month) so this is the first time ive seen the pins in a new location (little shorter but still a great course) ENJOY

Good local help

1    8/23/2008   9/6/2008
Review By: dosahl
Pros: Nice challenging course. There are plenty of long holes with hills buth up hill and everyone's favorite-down hills. Course is loaded with a variety of obstacles. There are ponds, streams, and trees. Plenty of challenges for a good player and a bad player like me.
Cons: Tee box placement from previous basket was also a challenge. Many times we stood looking like tourists.....we were
Other Thoughts: Local help from area players was super. One player joined my group to help, and we enjoyed his company. Thanks Brandon.