Federal Heights (Denver), CO
Camenisch Park - Badlands DGC Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #5 (Taken 8/2008)
Tee sign #5

harder than it looks

1    3/6/2009   3/10/2009
Review By: byoung39
Pros: * a lot of nice, long shots
* much more challenging than it looks at first glance
* a couple of GREAT holes
Cons: * some elevation change is really nice, but sometimes you feel like you are being forced to work out rather than play disc golf.
* Some tee pads are VERY un-level.
* VERY hard to tell which basket you are throwing at sometimes
* Hole... 6, maybe? which is in the middle of the trees in the middle of the creek bed- This hole is a throw and pray hole, which is always a turn off for me.
* Pond gets INSTANTLY deep, so retrieving a disc, even near the edge, is not very likely.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course to throw at if you want to rare back and rip. However, the range of shots required is not impressive. It is not technical enough to provide a chance for players who are skilled but don't have a big arm to compete. Basically, if you can throw a long way, especially uphill, you are going to have a huge advantage. This is a nice park, but with a little different design it could be awesome.

1    3/3/2009   3/3/2009
Review By: tmbyram
Pros: Long with lots of shot challenge. Excellent course with good layout.
Cons: They were doing some work on the course so a couple of holes were not playable. Windy on the day I was there but that made it more challenging.
Other Thoughts: Fairly difficult course. Have a good driver for this one. The front nine was a little hard to follow but not difficult.

Badlands, Good Course

5+    11/20/2008   3/3/2009
Review By: mwgheaton
Pros: This is an excellent course. It is hard to find a course this big that is so well maintained. The fairways are mowed. The tees and baskets are in good shape. The course features long downhill drives and short winding shots through trees. The first time I played this course I was a bit confused about the layout, but all my rounds since have been enjoyable. The location is convenient just north of the Denver-Boulder Turnpike off Federal. Having the Blair Witch Project Course next door (while still rudimentary compared to Badlands) makes the entire park a major draw for disc golfers. Oh yeah, the great view of the Rocky Mountains is always a plus.
Cons: The tee signs were once pretty decent, but they do tend to get vandalized. The course is located in a poorer neighborhood, but I get the impression that it is more the hard working, recent immigrant, strong family values type of poverty. The houses, mobile homes and apartments all seem to be well kept up and there are families playing disc golf, kids playing on the playground and people walking/biking/skateboarding on the paths. The park can be busy, so watch out for pedestrians.
Other Thoughts: Clearing the lake from the pro tee on number 12 can be a challenge in higher winds. At 310ft and downhill, it is very doable, but the numerous obstacles on the far side (small building, large trees) have a habit of bouncing discs backward and into the lake. It is a tough shot for anyone and I recommend using the shorter tee on the sidewalk to the right of the lake if you can't throw 300+ consistently. Otherwise, use a disc you are willing to part with just in case.

The Best the Mile High City has to offer

5+    2/5/2009   2/6/2009
Review By: J-TRU
Pros: This course has everything.....Long shots, short shots, back hander, sidearm, tight&technical, and wide open, up hill, and down hill. With 27 holes(including Blair Witch project) you cant ask for a better course.
Cons: Very hilley. you walk up and down big hills. a true test of your stamina. a great combo with the thin air of 5280'. The back 9 is tough to navagate so find someone on the course to play with. I don't think i have ever NOT seen anyone out there who wouldn't play with you
Other Thoughts: I felt the need to write this review cause i just got my 1st ACE there Yesterday 2/5/09 on hole #9. GREAT COURSE. a must play if in the Denver area.

Get To Know A Regular

1    11/22/2008   11/22/2008
Review By: TalbotTrojan
This review was updated on 7/13/2009
Pros: This course is set in a nice park with a lot of challenges. On the regular 18 the biggest challenge is usually the elevation change. On thier back 9, also known as The Blair Witch Project, the name of the game is can you put your disc in this spot. There were a number of regulars around on the weekend who were very friendly and helpful. The course is also right next to Hyland Hills Water World which is the best water park in the world. The signs that were hand painted were very nice looking and helpful.
Cons: The course is very confusing for a first time player even with a map. There were also a few holes under construction due to some complaints from park neighbors. While the course is obviously an established course, the feel was more like a work in progress type of a course. This is particularly true on the back nine which lacked many signs and had a variety of different hole types including a few pole holes. There was really no consistency in the type of basket when there were baskets. There is one water hole, #12, with multiple tee locations for various different skill levels. You will want to bring a junk disc for this hole as even the intermediate tee, if you can find it provides a bit of a challenge. My suggestion is to play the Junior tee, it is still fun.
Other Thoughts: This is a good park course and one that is well played. It is certainly not my favorite park course even if I have only played one other true park course. The back nine is worth playing though many of the regulars do not play these nine holes. If you can you will want to hang around a regular on this course as even with a map this course was not easy to get around. I just played the new layout of holes 2 through 5 this past weekend and they are fun.

Too much space!

1    11/17/2008   11/19/2008
Review By: disconsolator
Pros: There's a lot of space and downhill and uphill shots. It has the right amount of shots over or by the water (2 I think). It also has some room for some bombs and some shorter shots - not necessarily technical, but it'll make you think a little.
Cons: Where to start... Really confusing layout from the first hole. You stand at the top of a hill and throw a 600 foot downhill shot - fun, right? But from the tee you see 3 pins all within 80 feet of each other. You look at the tee sign to see that there are pin positions for A through E! There's a sticker telling you which is the pin, but you still can't tell. I think (I'm not really sure) they use the same pins for different positions on different holes. Again confusing.
The course has a kind of creek in the middle and each side of the course slopes down into this creek area which allows for some good uphill and downhill shots. However, this up and down 5 times in a row gets really old, really fast. I feel they could have made a course with only 18 holes that runs along this creek (with lots of thick and big trees) and had a more pleasing and interesting course. Then have those one or two great elevation shots that make you appreciate that part of the game instead of walking up and down a hill a bunch of times and losing your breath when trying to make a putt. Also, it's under construction, I think, and they have some temporary alternate tees - I don't know how long this has gone on as I have only been here a couple weeks. Hopefully someone is taking care of that.
The tee signs need work.
Other Thoughts: There's so much space I think the designers felt they had to make it 27 holes, but I think a more thought out 18 holes would be perfect.

Would love to come back

1    8/21/2008   11/12/2008
Review By: ERicJ
This review was updated on 11/25/2008
Pros:
Practice basket. Nice hand painted tee signs. Sufficient concrete tee pads. Multiple pins should keep things interestings. Flags on baskets to enhance visibility. Very nice use of elevation, a good mix of uphill and downhill shots. Baskets in good condition. A very accurate online map. Benches and trash cans placed throughout the course. A playground for the kiddos.

The course is easy to navigate; it was my first time and only a few holes (#4-#6, and #11) required me to scout ahead to find the basket.

The course plays mostly open and overall isn't too difficult if you have a decent drive. Though there are some pretty tough holes mixed in.
Cons:
Several tee signs in need of repair; including one that has completely fallen off the post. Several holes have very long downhill shots that you need to watch carefully or you'll have a hard time finding that disc you bombed from atop the hill.
The course was freshly mowed when I played which made for a nicer round. The first hole is a very long downhill shot and sets the tone nicely for the course. My favorite shot was the Pro tee on #12 across the lake to the far pin position; great hole.

There's another "back 9" 9-hole course on site that starts by the tee for #13. It's called the "Blair Witch Project" and isn't on the map. I was advised by a couple locals not to play if I didn't have a guide, so I skipped it. (UPDATE: Blair Witch course now has its own DGCR page.)

This was my first Denver course played and it set the standard pretty high, I enjoyed my round here a lot. It ended up being my second favorite Denver course behind Beaver Ranch. I'd love for this to be my home course.

HUGE!

2-4    8/20/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: Dooley
Pros: The park this beautiful. Huge open space with large rolling hills. If you like to drive this is your course cause you'll be driving twice on some holes.
Cons: There are some serious layout problems in my opinion. For such a huge open space and beautiful park, shooting downhill, than uphill, than downhill, than uphill, than downhill, (you get the idea), Gets OLD. There is room for more baskets for sure, and a layout change would propel this course up the rankings. Bring Water and Be in Shape!
Other Thoughts: Great locals at these Denver area courses! Be sure to check out one of the ROSS brothers in the parking lot for some cool and unusual discs, as well as all the great ones. Oh and they deliver!

Excellent course...from a tourist....

1    10/30/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: jacob_seal
Pros: First things first, I'm a tourist from Louisiana and I had a few hours to kill, so i checked out this course today. The thin air and the hilly nature of the course pretty well wore me out....by hole 10 I was sucking wind....making the rest of the course very difficult for me.....lol. Moving on....

The baskets were all in good shape, and were topped with flags....making them easy to see. It is hard to tell which basket you are throwing at, though....due to some holes being quite close together. I teamed up with two locals who were very helpful, and a good time was had by all....James and Brad, thanks guys.
The tees are concrete, and most were in good shape...all of them were playable even with cracking. The tee signs were decent compared to what we have where I'm from, but with 4 or 5 hole placements, it was still hard to find the baskets. I did like that the tee signs showed all possible placements and then the distance to each placement. At my local courses I usually just have to guess. =).

The course design is fantastic. It is ALL about elevation changes. There are some tricky places to get around some trees, as well as water hazards. Several downhill holes are nice birdie opportunities, while the uphill shots are really hard. Hole 1 is a really cool downhill drive. I ripped a nice one there.

I didn't notice any water or restroom facilities. I had forgotten to get a bottle of water, and I was famished by the end. I was riding the public RTD Bus....just take bus 31 from downtown and it lets you off at w 90th....the course is 2 blocks east of there. On my way back I stopped in at memories sports bar, which is right by the bus stop and had 2 glasses of water and a coke.....heavy drinker i know.....it was the best 2 dollars I ever spent. Anyways, overall a fun and challenging course....the people were nice....the course was well maintained. great mountain views to the west. I had a great time. I'll be back if I ever get back to Denver.
Cons: There isn't a whole lot of "beautification" here. The mountain view is nice, but the course is not impressive from that standpoint. There are some trees and the pond, but they aren't trimmed well and there is mostly underbrush around the pond and the stream. Also, it's not in the best part of town. I didn't feel threatened in any way, but it seemed to be a more seedy part of town. It's probably just in my head. Everyone on the bus was very courteous and got up to let ladies sit down....
Other Thoughts: There is a back 9 that one of the guys I met there says is quite difficult. If I come back....I may try that. we'll see...

You Won't Be Disapointed

5+    10/29/2008   10/30/2008
Review By: dcarpent
Pros: Spectacular course, every hole is a challenge. Elevation changes cover this park, downhill bombs, uphill struggles, I don't think there is a flat hole on the course. There is a great balance to the Badlands, the long holes give you a chance to open it up with some long drives, while the short holes are tight and difficult. It may not seem like there is that many trees on this course, but the design brings the mature trees into play masterfully. The transition from well kept park grass to natural prairie terrain gives Badlands immense character. Some very fun holes, #9 is a steep downhill ace opportunity, #12 plays right over a lake, #16 throws over a ridge. The long holes we'll frustrate even the big guns, and you'll have to work for those birdies. Tee-boxes are in good shape, baskets all have flags, numerous benches and trash cans, and more pin placements than I've seen on any other course in CO.
Cons: The tee-signs are in pretty bad shape. They started as poorly drawn sketches that were hard to see on the black background, and now they are weathered and covered in graffiti. It can be pretty hard to decipher these signs on such a hilly course, especially with so many placements for every hole. The ponds and creek are pretty nasty, and can smell pretty bad. It could be easy to lose a disc in the thick growth by the creek, the water hazards, or the backyards near a couple holes.
Other Thoughts: This one shouldn't be missed, I love the hills, I've played mountain courses with less elevation changes than this course. The last time I played I noticed a few extra holes off in the woods between hole #12 and #13. Apparently there is an extra nine holes with seven baskets and two posts. Right off the path on the way to the #13 tee-box there is a dirt tee lined by rail-road ties and a sign written in sharpie that says, "The Blair Witch Project Back Nine." I was told the holes are covered in trees, and very difficult. No signs and I'm not sure how long they've existed. I didn't have time to play them, but I will soon.