Indianapolis, IN
George Washington Park Share
Uploaded By: Matthew boals Hole #14 (Taken 8/2010)

Washington

5+    6/29/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: Dover202
Pros: -Great variety of shots and distances
-Hole 17
Cons: -Not a great part of town. The locals sometimes like to set off firecrackers...
-Don't even bother playing after a strong rain. The whole course turns into a swamp.
Other Thoughts: This is probably my favorite course in Indy. It's not far from my apartment, so I stop by frequently between classes. You also get a lot of variety depending on the time of year. I shot 11 under in the early spring, but have difficulty shooting 5 or 6 under with the leaves out. Hole 6 (par 3) probably gives me the most trouble. In general, the back nine is quite a bit easier than the front.

Also, try not to do what I did last month. I had a shot bounce off a tree, catch the wind, and land on the roof of a house (on hole 10 I believe). I had to lift my girlfriend up on my shoulders to get it down, and we got some pretty strange looks from the locals...

One of my favorites

2-4    6/15/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: bilemshious
This review was updated on 7/12/2009
Pros: Fun course! Holes and tee pads in good condition, tee signs give the essential info (where the hole is, how far away), holes out in the open have well-maintained grass, rolling hills and trees make for some interesting course layout
Cons: Confusion walking from some holes to next tee - could use some signage, gets pretty muddy/sloppy especially in the front 9 after a rain, the neighborhood is a little rough, but I've never felt unsafe or anything.
Other Thoughts: Fun course for both advanced players and beginners. A good course to take a beginner to - you won't get bored while you're teaching them.

The course map is found close by the first tee - I highly recommend taking a picture of it on your phone or printing out the one from this site (it's the same thing).

The first time both my buddy and I played, we ran into a local who plays the course a lot. He helped us find where some of the tricky holes/tees were (tee 4, hole 7, hole/tee 12, tee 13, hole 17, hole 18).

I wasn't sure whether to put hole 17 under "pro" or "con" - the hole is absurd! You have to throw it over some trees to lay it up in an open area, throw through a line of trees to get it near the hole, THEN putt . . . if you're lucky/good.

5+    5/6/2009   5/8/2009
Review By: AdamE
This review was updated on 8/3/2010
Pros: Fun course that uses the elevation and trees well. There's a nice variety of hyzer, straight and anhyzer shots here. The course is a little on the shorter side, but has a few long holes including one that's around 450. Overall, the signs and tee pads are in pretty good condition and definitely get the job done.

I think this is a good course for players of all skill levels. It's good for beginners because there are trees to deal with but very little rough or wooded areas. For the more advanced player, this course has lots of birdies opportunities and isn't real challenging but it still has a few tough holes and is fun to play. Hole 12 is one of my favorites, it's a long downhill hole with a road immediately to your left. It takes a very controlled shot to stay in bounds here. Hole 17 is very unique. There's a big downhill in front of you and you shoot over the tops of the trees.
Cons: There's a walk from 11 to 12 and another from 12 to 13. It wasn't difficult to find the next hole, but it wasn't obvious either. A couple signs would be a welcome addition here.

The neighborhood is a little rough but it seems much better than Brookside to me. Maybe that's because there's a police station visible from part of the course.

The course could use more trash cans, there has been a fair amount of litter when ever I've played there.
Other Thoughts: Brookside is just couple miles away and the two courses compliment each other well.

Last time I played here was when their Wednesday leagues were going on. The locals were very nice and great about letting faster groups play through.

my 'home' course

5+    4/12/2009   4/12/2009
Review By: DOGvsRAPTOR
This review was updated on 9/30/2010
Pros: long tee pads, home disc golf course for Indydiscgolf.com, mature trees, hole 17 is probably the signature hole for this course, pleny of variety of shots not only for RHBH but also flick players
Cons: lack of trashcans, course can sometimes be a little overgrown in spots, in the spring this course is very muddy after all rains, it does dry out by May and is fine all summer and fall.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course as I live only a few miles away in the Broadripple area. This course is very easy to get to from I-69 as well as 70, just a mile or so away from Brookeside Park to south, six or 7 miles from Sahms to the North, and 10 or so from Northwest Way park. Not the longest course in the world, but a decent challenge to beginners as well as more advanced players.

****edit****
Within the last six months the www.indydiscgolf.com club has done quite a bit of work on the course. Our new course maintainance / development person has stepped up and kicked ass - along with a few other people. As of today hole 17 along both sides of the creek has been cleared out for the most part. The tree across the creek on 17 is now an actually walkway. The pines on hole 1 have been trimmed at the bottom and cleaned up quite as well. The information board has been re-vamped and is actually usefull now. Check out our club.

Must play in Indy

1    3/24/2009   3/24/2009
Review By: wi2ny05
Pros: This course is laid out pretty well and is fairly easy to follow. The map at the beginning of the course is great for those new to the course. At the very least, you can get an idea of the general layout of the holes and go from there. The locals that I encountered were more than willing to help out when necessary and groups were great with letting faster groups go through.
Cons: The neighborhood is suboptimal and the multi use of the park can pose some pedestrian obstacles. Those not throwing seemed pretty oblivious to the flying objects around them.
Other Thoughts: I played on a weekday and it didn't have too much traffic. The course itself was pretty well kept up and litter free however the surrounding woods and properties were another story. More garbage cans and facilities could easly help remedy this problem. If you have a limited time in Indy, take the time to play this course.

5+    11/4/2008   11/5/2008
Review By: Spurlocm
Pros: Really fun course. Most baskets are out in the open which makes this course nice for beginners because discs are likely to stay in the open.
Cons: The road is in play on a few baskets so if you're tossing be sure to lay off the right hook or be able to control it. I have actually seen a disc taken on this course because it dinged a parked car.
Other Thoughts: On 17 you might want a spotter if you are not use to the course. Several birdie opportunities are available on 13 14 15 16 so a rough start can be easily made up. Not alot of long holes but a nice variety of shots overall.

Washington Park is Great!

5+    11/2/2008   11/4/2008
Review By: NSGDdoesdyes
Pros: Well maintained, wide variety of shots can be used, holes are placed very nicely, scenery is great!
Cons: There is a lot of trash on the course, as on a number of the other courses too, we all need to do our best to get it picked up.
Other Thoughts: Very fun course to play. It's one of the best in Indy.

Great Variety of Holes

5+    7/10/2008   9/8/2008
Review By: NoChinDeluxe
Pros: Hole 17 is a beast and will eat you alive. First timers will have a "wait, where is the basket?" moment. Nice variety of holes mixing elevation changes and wooded shots including the blind, straight-uphill 18th and the dreaded "over the river and through the woods" 17th.
Cons: A little too close to the road for my tastes and there are some questionable characters roaming around trying to sell me discs, their bike, crack, etc.
Other Thoughts: I'd have to say this is the best in Indy because it offers the most variety and is a full 18. There is only one completely open-field hole while the rest play in the trees in some way, which makes it very fun for all skill levels. The neighborhood isn't quite Castleton or Noblesville, but don't be scared off either. Sometimes you'll get some weirdos hanging around, but I've been there a lot when families are BBQ-ing in the pavilions and it's quite the family-friendly park.

Almost a favorite

1    8/20/2008   8/20/2008
Review By: m1ke
Pros: Very well laid-out course. Great use has been made use of the rolling terrain to provide a variety of shots with a good amount of elevation changes. I very much enjoyed finding out what each hole had to offer. Signage is excellent; the signs are noticeable with the tee numbers in large print so there's only a couple of holes where you can't easily spot where the next tee is- I'd printed out an online course map but didn't much need it.
Cons: Poison Ivy, and plenty of it. Holes 11-12 and 16-18 all have it at the edge of the woods along their fairways. This problem is compounded by a lack of facilities- I carry a poison ivy wash in my bag to get the plant oil off hands and discs, but there isn't so much as a water fountain here in which to make use of it. The only other problem I had is the proximity of multiple fairways to a road that's not exactly busy, but definitely had some traffic on it.
Other Thoughts: I'll almost certainly go back to this course the next time I'm in Indy (about once year). If they cleared out the poison ivy, this would be one of my favorite courses.

7/11/2008   7/11/2008
Review By: Noah Karnes
Pros: Overall, this is an average course. Not bad at all but not spectacular either. It was an enjoyable round of golf. The course was very well maintained and had good signage and teepads. There is some slight elevation but not a lot. There is a good mixture of long/short holes. Hole 17 was interesting (definitely need a spotter on that one!)
Cons: We played this course the same weekend that we played the Fun Farm in Corydon, IN and it didn't really compare to the Fun Farm. It was in a kinda bad part of town but I agree with the other reviewer that the course feels safe. It was kinda crowded when we played but not too bad.
Other Thoughts: My wife and I played this course on the way home from visiting my parents in southern Indiana. It was a good time and worth the stop.