Truckee, CA
Truckee River Regional Park Share
Uploaded By: cjskier Hole #12 (Taken 6/2011)
3 / 278ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

NIce Course Above The Truckee River!

1    8/16/2012   9/3/2012
This review was updated on 10/21/2013
Pros: The disc golf course at Truckee River Regional Park is easy to find upon entering the park. It's on the left, has ample parking, picnic table and a kiosk. The course has nice concrete teepads and great informative signs. It plays through high desert type terrain with enough elevation change to keep things interesting. It's obvious that the locals have done a lot of work here to make this course more playable, everything from stringing a net up along the # 1 fairway to keep errant discs from sailing over the fence into the business there to building stairs. There are are garbage cans and benches throughout the course.
It's the first course I've played with a "Quiet Hole". # 4 plays close enough to a neighbors property that there is a sign asking players to respect this particular neighbor by playing this hole quietly. I softly whispered "fore" when I teed off. And I really liked this hole. It being a cool, little anhyser, downhill with a steep drop-off on the left toward the river.
The course has the screw system with the A-B-C-D marked to let you know the current basket position. That's always helpful, especially to the first time player on the course playing alone. There are a couple of nifty downhill chucks on the second nine.
Cons: The first night I played here, I was in kind of a hurry. After playing # 7, I searched and looked all over for the next tee. There's a sign telling you to walk up the hill and over the dale or something but I couldn't find # 8 to save my life. I drove back a day or two later determined to find the rest of the course. I drove around areas of the park that I didn't know existed, through dump areas and old maintenance areas and saw baskets and tee signs. After some fairly exhaustive searching, I was find able to complete the navigation of TRDGC. Now, this all could have been nullified, had I only been able to hook up with a local or two. But there were no locals to be found either day I played.
The hardy desert type terrain, especially on the back nine didn't bode well with me, either aesthetically or physically having to navigate my way through it.
Finding # 18 teepad is also a little difficult.
Other Thoughts: The course is somewhat convoluted in it's meandering design. That design make's it extremely confusing and frustrating for the first time player. I'm not sure any amount of signage could explain the walk from 7 to 8. I think it's one of those courses that's just not very user friendly to the first time player. It happens sometimes.
Despite her navigation issues, this would be an enjoyable 18 to play as your home course. There are quite a few interesting holes to challenge most disc golfers. And it is a great break on the Sacramento to Reno route.

2-4    6/12/2010   3/10/2011
Review By: humchris85
Pros: - Well cared for course, you can tell the locals take pride in it
- Nice long concrete tee pads
- Mach 3 Baskets are in good condition
- Good tee signs showing pin positions and distances
- River access with a little hike
- Bathrooms available neer hole 1
- Locals are friendly and willing to show around new people on the course.
- In the 3 times I've played here I've never seen trash on the ground
- Multiple pin positions
- Natural Benches around the course
- Close to I-80, makes for a good break from a long road trip.
- The slight elevation changes around the course are used well
- Beter for beginers than most Tahoe area courses
Cons: - Quite a few holes out here feel repetitive
- Sage brush can hide discs in plain view
- Baskets are hard to see aginst the colors of the high desert
- Most holes are just straight ahead and don't require much thinking
- Dusty in the summer time
- There's one long walk, I think its 7-8, where you might get lost if you don't have a guide
- Rocky ground can do alot of damage to DX plastic discs, I would recomend bringing some higher quality plastic
- Very little elevation change compared to most around the Tahoe area
- A badly shanked drive can end up in the Truckee River on a few holes
Other Thoughts: Truckee River Park is a decent course that helps add another to the list of Tahoe disc golf courses The park has river access and even signs pointing you down trails to the river in case you shank your drive realy badly (the signs even say shankers trail). There is a long walk between holes 7 and 8 which would be hard to find if you were walking around by yourself trying to find the course without a guide. The locals around here take very good care of this course, cleaning up garbage, and keeping up signs. It is not the best course in the area, but definatly still fun and worth a stop if your driving through on the 80.

5+    10/3/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: elevated plastic
Pros: Nice tee pads with good signage. 17 of the holes have 2-4 positions and are moved 1-2weeks. Clean and semi challenging(can be with certain pins) Friendly locals and 7-11 across the street from Hole 1. Almost every shot in the bag comes into play. Seating at almost every hole.
Cons: The walk from 7-8 is a little confusing right now due to construction.
Other Thoughts: It's one of the easier courses in Tahoe, but it's still a great course with some variety. Dubs on Thursdays at 5pm and sunday at 11am. This course does get snow in the winter and is open for play if you want to brave the elements. Drive 20 mins and play Tahoe Vista afterwards.

Keep on Truckee...eein'

1    7/4/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: ibgollie
Pros: Ignore the title, I liked the course, I just wanted to have a clever title.

The course plays through the woods and brush in a natural setting that is unique. There are some good wooded holes, some wide open shots, dog legs etc. I think they did a good job with what was available as far as the land goes. They did a good job showing off the river on a few holes.

Some decent elevation changes, and a pretty straight forward layout, the only trick is a somewhat long walk that takes place in the middle. Good signage, tee boxes and baskets make for a good experience.

ONE BIG PRO!!
The course is very well maintained and taken care of by the locals, the people step around the brush, not through it and that makes the course seem like it's brand new. That was really cool to see that people take pride in their course.
Cons: -The brush makes it difficult to find discs at times
-I think the layout could have been run differently so that perhaps the holes would maybe run along the river, then go inland, the go out toward the river and then run along the river again. Under the current layout you play a 2-3 holes right along the river, the then head inland and kind of zag zig though the trees and brush. It probably would be more interesting if the layout was blended more.
Other Thoughts: I play this course with my friends that never play so I got a good look at how novices play this course. Oh yeah I also played the entire round left handed (my off hand), and I beat them by 18 shots...and I shot +15! haha!

Anyway, I thought the course was fun, challenging (due to only using my left). If I played with my right, I though it would be pretty average, there are some good holes, but it seemed like there was a bunch of shots that were open on the right and death on the left. I point realized numerous times by my novice friends.

Compared to North Tahoe and Zephyr Cove which are the next closest courses that I have played, this is the best course to take newer (or less skilled) players. It's not the toughest course in the area, but it's fun to play and it's not adventure golf so you can go and pop out a quick round.

Truckee's finest

2-4    7/5/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: springy101
Pros: Very nice teepads and signage, I love forest courses, lots of elevation changes and riverside holes, very quick course to play, great view of Truckee and the surrounding forests.
Cons: Very windy and dusty, hard to find some holes and construction in the park making a detour to hole 7, easy to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play if you are in the area and there is a disc golf store right down the street.

Not bad

2-4    7/16/2008   6/26/2009
Review By: JohnAmber
Pros: This course has great views of the area and it is well worth bringing a small camera or binocs to take in the view. The course is pretty standard, with a few challenges and a few easy shots.
Cons: As goes with the view, goes the ledges and drop offs. If the disc goes off one, don't even bother trying to get it. Just scope the hole before you launch. I got the feeling of crossing my own path a few times for the holes, so not every tee is original to say the least. Also, watch yourself for snakes and critters, this is a good course for them. The baskets can be very tough to spot at times.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course but make sure to bring water and see if you can find someone to guide you on the way. We found it by ourselves the first time, but took a bit of searching.

1    8/13/2008   8/13/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Baskets in good shape
-Great Teepads!
-Nice Teesigns
-Restroom available near hole one
-Kiosk/Bulletin Board at hole one with course map and scheduled events posted
-Most holes had a bench of some sort to sit on
-A bit of elevation coming into play on a three or four holes
-Course flow was decent
-Course was very clean! Very little garbage for a disc golf course in a public park!
-The locals we met were very friendly.
Cons:
-Mediocre land
-Many shots felt redundant
-Not very challenging overall, just two or three holes that made me consider my shot.
-VERY DUSTY (high desert course)
-Baskets are sometimes hard to see due to the drab monotones of high desert foliage.
-Really, Really long walkout half way through the course, without the help of some locals, we wouldn't have figured it out.
For me, Truckee was overall neither great nor bad, it just exemplified mediocrity. I think this is due in most part to the available land. It's just not a great plot of land, there is a little elevation, but for the most part it's just high desert land with a few trees, a bunch of rocks, and desert sage. For what was available to the course designers they did a decent job.

As a pro level golfer, the course didn't offer me much challenge, most holes are very straight forward and don't require much contemplation. My playing partner is an Adv Women, and she found the course more difficult than the average course, so I'm sure the course is just about right for the average golfer.

One thing that I think would improve the course is having some help seeing the gray baskets in that gray environment, maybe a flag on top or something? There were a few times I had to walk all the way up the fairway because the baskets just blend in too much.

If you have to choose one course on your way through the area, I'd suggest driving the extra twenty minutes to North Lake Tahoe, I just don't think Truckee is worth too much fuss.

Truckee River DGC

1    7/22/2000   4/23/2008
Review By: JR Stengele
This review was updated on 11/20/2008
Pros: This beautiful course is located in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, surrounded by Pine trees and other native growth. The ground floor is primarily dirt with folliage spreadout throughout the course. Directions getting to the course made it easy to find and once there, easy to navigate through. The cement tee pads were in excellent shape as well as the majority of the Mach 3 baskets. The course was quite challenging with plenty of obstacles to get in the way. The course offers slight elevation changes with many tight fairway shots and few open big arm throws. A few holes have steep ledges so watch your throws and watch your step. The course is located in a large park with fields just off to the side behind Hole #1.
Cons: This course for the most part was very well put together. However, some of the holes on the course seemed redundant, throwing back and forth between similar looking setups. One more note, large rocks are throughout the course and will damage your discs if not careful so either choose wisely or be prepared to be missing a few grams of plastic on your disc.
Other Thoughts: This course is truely a lot of fun and well worth the trip. Truckee DG course was well kept up and maintained with very little garbage laying around. Also, for those who like to collect discs, there is a local discgolf store in town with custom Truckee stamps as well as any other kind of discs needed to play. The locals are very friendly and always willing to help out and give directions.