Truckee, CA
3 / 342ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Very Clean!

2-4    10/16/2010   10/21/2010
Review By: JMONEY
Pros: Very clean, Restrooms, Water, Large concrete tee pads some include a broom, Good signage showing multiple pin locations and distance, Benches or logs for seating, Great maintenance on the course, Easy to navigate, Open year round, Friendly locals and best of all Free!
Cons: The underbrush and the walk from hole #7 to #8(other side of the tennis courts). There is a bike/walk path that crosses the fairways from time to time.
Other Thoughts: They have made great use of the land considering it used to be a landfill. Local DGr's and Boy scouts have made improvements to the course, implementing erosion control projects with some cool steps made from logs. Some trails have steps made from rocks to prevent erosion of the hillside. Nice views of the Truckee River and valley. This is a fun 18 hole course that is full of that Tahoe-Truckee vibe. They take pride in their course here starting with the understanding that you are not to disturb or remove, cut, break, bend, snap, twist, stomp, squish, pick, tear, pinch, bite, slap, any of the foliage and trees. Just try not to disturb the natural habitat there. During the summer months (May 31- Sept. 5) there is a free concert in the amphitheatre every Wednesday. Live music while you play is a bonus anyday.
If I am driving on I-80 in either direction you can guarantee that I will be stopping to play a round of disc golf here! Only 1 miles off I-80 a great place to get a quick fix of disc golf and stretch the legs out. This is a fun course and a good ego booster.

5+    10/3/2010   10/5/2010
Review By: elevated plastic
Pros: Nice tee pads with good signage. 17 of the holes have 2-4 positions and are moved 1-2weeks. Clean and semi challenging(can be with certain pins) Friendly locals and 7-11 across the street from Hole 1. Almost every shot in the bag comes into play. Seating at almost every hole.
Cons: The walk from 7-8 is a little confusing right now due to construction.
Other Thoughts: It's one of the easier courses in Tahoe, but it's still a great course with some variety. Dubs on Thursdays at 5pm and sunday at 11am. This course does get snow in the winter and is open for play if you want to brave the elements. Drive 20 mins and play Tahoe Vista afterwards.

Keep on Truckee...eein'

1    7/4/2010   8/22/2010
Review By: ibgollie
Pros: Ignore the title, I liked the course, I just wanted to have a clever title.

The course plays through the woods and brush in a natural setting that is unique. There are some good wooded holes, some wide open shots, dog legs etc. I think they did a good job with what was available as far as the land goes. They did a good job showing off the river on a few holes.

Some decent elevation changes, and a pretty straight forward layout, the only trick is a somewhat long walk that takes place in the middle. Good signage, tee boxes and baskets make for a good experience.

ONE BIG PRO!!
The course is very well maintained and taken care of by the locals, the people step around the brush, not through it and that makes the course seem like it's brand new. That was really cool to see that people take pride in their course.
Cons: -The brush makes it difficult to find discs at times
-I think the layout could have been run differently so that perhaps the holes would maybe run along the river, then go inland, the go out toward the river and then run along the river again. Under the current layout you play a 2-3 holes right along the river, the then head inland and kind of zag zig though the trees and brush. It probably would be more interesting if the layout was blended more.
Other Thoughts: I play this course with my friends that never play so I got a good look at how novices play this course. Oh yeah I also played the entire round left handed (my off hand), and I beat them by 18 shots...and I shot +15! haha!

Anyway, I thought the course was fun, challenging (due to only using my left). If I played with my right, I though it would be pretty average, there are some good holes, but it seemed like there was a bunch of shots that were open on the right and death on the left. I point realized numerous times by my novice friends.

Compared to North Tahoe and Zephyr Cove which are the next closest courses that I have played, this is the best course to take newer (or less skilled) players. It's not the toughest course in the area, but it's fun to play and it's not adventure golf so you can go and pop out a quick round.

Great mountain course

5+    1/10/2010   1/30/2010
Review By: cjskier
This review was updated on 3/15/2010
Pros: Shorter, quick play course. Great surrounding, lots of other great courses near by. Low traffic. Difficult but short holes. When course is set at C positions course plays much harder. Great signs and Cement Tee pads. Wind/weather provide unique challenges. A big change in the setting compared to the near by Tahoe courses. This one is very high mountain desert, compared to full forest.
Cons: Lots of shorter holes. Very rocky, brutal on discs. I play this course regularly and have a "Truckee only" bag to play here, not to abuse all of my discs.
Other Thoughts: Wind ALWAYS picks up about 3pm in the summer, and makes 2-3 holes, and putting difficult. However IMO is not really a bad thing. I like the wind challenge, but lots of people do not. Course will have snow usually from Nov-May.

Truckee's finest

2-4    7/5/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: springy101
Pros: Very nice teepads and signage, I love forest courses, lots of elevation changes and riverside holes, very quick course to play, great view of Truckee and the surrounding forests.
Cons: Very windy and dusty, hard to find some holes and construction in the park making a detour to hole 7, easy to lose discs.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play if you are in the area and there is a disc golf store right down the street.

Worth it if in the area

1    7/26/2009   7/29/2009
Review By: blakeob
Pros: A good mix of holes. There are some opportunities to launch big drives, and some where accuracy is much more important. Nice views of the truckee river and located in a nice park.
Cons: Hard to find the tee pads. Signs leading you in the direction of the next hole weren't very helpful. Had to ask some locals how to get to a few holes. Not a very linear course. Can be hard to find your disc, so it's best to have a spotter while throwing.
Other Thoughts: Fun course to play if you're in the area, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get to it.

Not bad

2-4    7/16/2008   6/26/2009
Review By: JohnAmber
Pros: This course has great views of the area and it is well worth bringing a small camera or binocs to take in the view. The course is pretty standard, with a few challenges and a few easy shots.
Cons: As goes with the view, goes the ledges and drop offs. If the disc goes off one, don't even bother trying to get it. Just scope the hole before you launch. I got the feeling of crossing my own path a few times for the holes, so not every tee is original to say the least. Also, watch yourself for snakes and critters, this is a good course for them. The baskets can be very tough to spot at times.
Other Thoughts: I enjoyed the course but make sure to bring water and see if you can find someone to guide you on the way. We found it by ourselves the first time, but took a bit of searching.

Bring your GPS Trackers

1    7/22/2006   6/22/2009
Review By: surefee
Pros: This is a very scenic course in Truckee
It was one of the best in the Tahoe/Reno area.The cement tee pads were in excellent shape as well as the majority of the holes. The course was quite challenging with plenty of obstacles to get in the way. The course offers slight elevation changes with many tight fairway shots and few open big arm throws.
Cons: This course is so hard to find your frisbee and some of the holes on the course seemed redundant, throwing back and forth between similar looking setups
Other Thoughts: Overall a good Northern California course

Construction/Course Layout

1    5/7/2009   5/8/2009
Review By: RedSoxRob
Pros: Great range of holes. Some blind shots. Hard shots. Mediocre shots. Nice range.
Cons: Previous review regarding visibility of baskets on course is dead on. They are camouflaged. If this is your first time on the course, I would recommend you find a local as I did.
Other Thoughts: If I recall right HOLE 7 IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. They moved the tee pad which can be difficult to find. Not to mention the new pad is directly on a path frequented by pedestrians in the park; so be careful with your drive.

1    8/13/2008   8/13/2008
Review By: gwillim
Pros:
-Baskets in good shape
-Great Teepads!
-Nice Teesigns
-Restroom available near hole one
-Kiosk/Bulletin Board at hole one with course map and scheduled events posted
-Most holes had a bench of some sort to sit on
-A bit of elevation coming into play on a three or four holes
-Course flow was decent
-Course was very clean! Very little garbage for a disc golf course in a public park!
-The locals we met were very friendly.
Cons:
-Mediocre land
-Many shots felt redundant
-Not very challenging overall, just two or three holes that made me consider my shot.
-VERY DUSTY (high desert course)
-Baskets are sometimes hard to see due to the drab monotones of high desert foliage.
-Really, Really long walkout half way through the course, without the help of some locals, we wouldn't have figured it out.
For me, Truckee was overall neither great nor bad, it just exemplified mediocrity. I think this is due in most part to the available land. It's just not a great plot of land, there is a little elevation, but for the most part it's just high desert land with a few trees, a bunch of rocks, and desert sage. For what was available to the course designers they did a decent job.

As a pro level golfer, the course didn't offer me much challenge, most holes are very straight forward and don't require much contemplation. My playing partner is an Adv Women, and she found the course more difficult than the average course, so I'm sure the course is just about right for the average golfer.

One thing that I think would improve the course is having some help seeing the gray baskets in that gray environment, maybe a flag on top or something? There were a few times I had to walk all the way up the fairway because the baskets just blend in too much.

If you have to choose one course on your way through the area, I'd suggest driving the extra twenty minutes to North Lake Tahoe, I just don't think Truckee is worth too much fuss.