Tustin, CA
Frontier Park Share
Uploaded By: bazillion Hole #8 (Taken 12/2009)

1    6/5/2012   1/5/2013
Review By: DannyThunders
Pros: -Baskets in a city park
-Some fun shots
-A few decent sized holes
Cons: -Alot of use by non DG park users
-Tiny teepads
-Par is too high on a few of the holes
-Did i mention alot of use by non DG people?
-Slippery tees on certain holes
-Alot of room for error, if you throw your disc over the wall you're screwed
-In a strange part of Tustin , some definite gangster handball players
Other Thoughts: A cool course if you're in the area, worth a try , some short holes , alot of non DG users , especially on the playground / handball court

Decent Practice Course

1    12/8/2011   12/10/2011
Review By: SteveDG
Pros: The park is kept up and mostly clean. And there are public bathrooms available for the "regular" disc golfer.

The baskets look newer compared some of the other parks I have visited.

Baskets seven, eight, and nine are the most challenging as they are longer shots. The drive is wide open while the baskets are in a lightly wooded area.
Cons: This course made me feel somewhat special, because I birdied every hole. But, I am a novice and I know I am not that good.

So, based on the that, I did not think this course was very challenging. The sidewalk-marked tee pads are near impossible to find. And, the pads that are there are extremely small.

For starter I never found the first basket pad. I just threw from what I thought was a reasonable spot near the sidewalk at the edge of the park on Mitchell Avenue.

To me, It seemed a bit unreasonable to have a couple of par fives at this small course. Par four would even be a stretch. I have a feeling that this course was an after thought, or just not planned well.
Other Thoughts: The only saving grace for this course was the newish baskets. This was a waist of time. I will never return to this course, even if invited.

To end on a positive note, if you live close to Frontier Park it would be a good place to practice.

5+    6/27/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - 9 Holes all have baskets

- Some long holes, much more length than your average 9 hole neighborhood course.

- Small hills come into play now and then.
Cons: -People everywhere, to the point where it takes away from any positive that the course has to offer.

- Fairways crossing all over the place, but still the biggest obstacles are the crowds of people you will by trying to avoid.

- Tee pads are laughably small
Other Thoughts: Think of this course as the kind you can't go on weekends. . . or weekdays after 3 pm due to crowds. Even if I lived a mile away from this course I would drive to Deerfield.

It is far more enjoyable on a weekday morning but when it comes to playing at peak times it is pure misery.

Why All the Hate

5+    5/10/2011   5/12/2011
Review By: MikeFuller16
Pros: Longer holes than most 9'ers (some listed as par 4 & 5)
No long lines of people
Good baskets
Cons: Hard to navigate if you don't know where to start. However, that map at the start is useful once you finf it.
There are people and cars if you throw poorly.
Other Thoughts: I've played this course a ton, and have not had the problems other people have has with it. Maybe it is because I play on weekdays after work. I really enjoy the course and it gets even better when you go safari.

Some Minuscule Teepads!

1    4/8/2010   4/8/2010
Pros: The baskets are standing there. It would be a decent place to work on your short to mid-range game. Some elevation to contend with. As can be said with any city park course in America, there are options for safari golf. II think some of the holes are longer than your garden variety pitch and putt.
Cons: This had the tiniest teepads (maybe 1' x 4') which were right up against a concrete wall. Navigation was nightmarish. A few tees are marked on sidewalks but I couldn't make much sense of them. I played early in the morning (7:30 AM) and some guy was already hauling out barbaques and chairs. I'm sure it wouldn't have been playable within the hour.
Other Thoughts: Sorry, I didn't enjoy this course. It may only be three miles from Deerfield Park in Irvine but it' seems like a world away. Although roughly the same size park, Deerfield is clean and feels safe. If I lived close to here and wanted to play a park 9 holer, I'd drive to Deerfield. If I lived within walking distance of Frontier, I'd only play between 4 AM and 7 AM.

Small 9 Holer in Tustin

5+    2/19/2010   3/11/2010
Review By: OcDiscGolf
Pros:
• Lots of Safari options and a few holes that play to 400 feet
• Rolling hills fill half the park and make a nice change of pace
Cons:
• Course plays right through a playground on a handful of holes. An errant shot could easily hit a kid and it is hard to try the best lines with the playground right there.
• Park is always crowded, maybe it is not crowded first thing in the morning but every time I have been there it is packed with non disc golfer traffic.
• Fairways cross in several places, but you'll probably be the only one playing anyway.
• The handball court in the back of the park seems to be a popular hangout and is generally packed with people. When I was playing there was a large group camped around the basket for # 6 and smoking something… It made it a little intimidating to throw into a group of 14 or so cholo types all looking at me. They must have really wondered what I was doing. Maybe I should have offered to tell them about the sport but I was busy thinking about how much cash was in my wallet should I get robbed, and wondering if they would take my discs as well.
• Tons of trash in this park and the trashcans (all 2 or so of them) are always full
• A few teepads that are incredibly short and backed up against walls. At first, it is hard to believe it is a teepad when you see it.
• No tees on most holes, just some faded spraypaint that you can't even read anymore (you're going to need a guide) and the baskets are confusing - most are numbered but if you don't really know where the tees are it is just safari to here, safari to there.
Frontier Park is a small 9 hole course tucked into a densely populated residential area in Tustin. The piece of land that the course is on is used creatively, but the park is just too small and too crowded to host a disc golf course. Fairways cross in all directions, but you'll probably be the only player or group there anyway. I have never seen another DG'er when I've been there.

I personally will not bother to play this course anymore at all since my last visit, I have tried hard 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years to like this course, but I am always limited on what holes I can play due to the crowds of non disc golfers hanging out here. There is definitely a questionable element afoot in this park - it is not a scene I like to be around.

If you live close and want to practice putting, possibly go in the morning or in the middle of the day on a weekday. With the rolling hills around a few of the baskets in the middle, it is a good spot to practice your pitch and putt. I wouldn't go after dark personally I would question what goes on here at night. Deerfied Park is close in Irvine and makes a far better option, or HB if you have 20 minutes to cruise down to the beach. Not worth a visit if you are coming in from out of town.

Variety of Challenges

1    2/23/2010   2/24/2010
Review By: pokamitch
Pros: Good variety of shots due to the alternate tee (longer) placements to compliment the short ones. Most tees were concrete, all the baskets were in good shape. Restrooms centrally located. Plenty of trash cans. Easily accessed from the freeway

One thing I will always say about these lil neighborhood 9'rs they can make some awesome guerilla courses. So the potential for some good fun is always there
Cons: Some teepads were a joke because they were like 4' long. Can get crowded and dangerous due to crossing fairways.No signage or ability to navigate course (I had a guide). Some shady folk hangin' there as well.....
Other Thoughts: Overall a good place to get a fix. I wouldn't even consider playing any other time than a week days before 4pm. Not a great course, but not actually that bad for a 9'r

Usually I would give you a favorite hole here, but there wasn't any one that really was worth mention

1    2/14/2010   2/14/2010
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Grass is well kept.
-All holes have baskets.
-Freeway friendly.
-The holes, independent of the rest of the course, were at least kind of interesting.
Cons: -Navigation is impossible if you do not have a map. I drew up the map provided on this site and was able to figure it out. Could not find tee for 3.
-Fairways cross constantly. If there were ANY other golfers there it would be difficult to play.
-Could not play holes 1, 2 and 9 due to other park goers. Park was not busy.
-Tee pads were a joke. Some were 1' x 5' strips that back up along a wall.
Other Thoughts: This course plays through a well used playground area for the first 3 holes, then mindlessly crosses a field from all directions. Rolling hills and trees dominate the borders of the park, with a relatively clear fairway 'area' in the center of the park that holes 3 through 9 take advantage of; all at once. From all directions.

I got a very nice birdie on the first hole so I tried REALLY hard to like this park, but I found it to be the worst out of any course I have played.

The park was not busy, but there were a few people there barbecuing and using the playground. Nonetheless, we were unable to play 3 of the holes. This to me is very poor course design. The park is too small for disc golf. Hole 9's basket is surrounded by prime picnic benches that border the play area.

Concrete tees are not numbered, but do generally indicate where the next hole is. 5 and 8 are marked, on the sidewalk, in one tight area. 3 was also supposed to be somewhere in that area but we could not find it. We just teed off approximately where our map told us to. Additionally, those 3 tees are surrounded on both sides by baskets, so people are driving toward you from two directions.

The only thing that can help this course is a complete redesign. The cris-crossing fairways make it impossible for more than one group to play simultaneously and casually.

All negativity aside, if the park is completely deserted, I can see enjoying your time here. Holes are descent, utilizing small rolling hills and trees on every shot. Some are short but all exceed 200 feet. I don't ever expect to go to a park and find it not being used, so I assume this is impossible. While tempting to stop by due to its proximity to the 5 freeway, I will not waste my time stopping by again.

Where is hole 1? :

1    12/15/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Green grass
-Baskets in pretty good shape (one was leaning 10 degrees or so off to the side)
-Concrete to tee off from
-Playground-close for the kiddies
-Many safari options
-Not crowded at all. I was the only disc golfer on the course when i played it. I asked a couple people that were milling about if they played disc golf and they looked at me as if I was crazy. :
-Good use of small hills to work in a little elevation change when putting
-Plenty of parking on the adjacent streets
Cons: -No signs
-The course layout is pretty much impossible to navigate. Some baskets are numbered, but the numbers don't appear to be aiming at any designated tee-off area.
-No pro shop, maps or other golfers to help navigate.
-Tight area for 9 holes. One can pretty much throw their putter across the space this course has to work with.
-Trash Trash Trash. This place had plastic bottles, soiled baby diapers, and aluminum cans strewn about the course. Not many trash cans either.
Other Thoughts: Frontier Park is a little strip of green grass and playground equipment in Tustin, CA. I spent about an hour there and couldn't figure the place out.
Three labeled baskets are the only navigation aide that greet golfers here. I spent my time there pretty much playing safari golf. there are three or four 2'x4' tee pads on the course periphery, so I would shoot from one side of the course and then back, picking a different basket each time. I probably played the whole course, but who knows? I spent the rest of my time there practicing putting with Lola, who thoroughly enjoyed sniffing the loads of trash on the ground about the park. I, however, did not enjoy the trash.
This course is good for working on your short game, but it's a beginner course shoe-horned on a very small piece of property. Best bet is to skip it and go to one of the many superior courses in the area.

Obstacles=people

1    8/12/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: coast2coast
This review was updated on 4/16/2010
Pros: Map on sign at tee #1. Grass is well mowed. Even though it is a short course in a neighborhood park it has a couple of longer holes.
Cons: Non-golfers everywhere. Some holes were unplayable from the intended tee because people were sitting in the middle of the fairway, or right under the basket. The basket for #9 is right next to the playground. Baskets are well marked but tees are not. Almost no elevation change.
Other Thoughts: This park is a lot like Deerfield in Irvine. Deerfield's course was made better by a complete redesign. Frontier could also benefit from some major changes.