Tustin, CA
Frontier Park Share
Uploaded By: bazillion Hole #4 (Taken 12/2009)

Decent Practice Course

1    12/8/2011   12/10/2011
Review By: SteveDG
Pros: The park is kept up and mostly clean. And there are public bathrooms available for the "regular" disc golfer.

The baskets look newer compared some of the other parks I have visited.

Baskets seven, eight, and nine are the most challenging as they are longer shots. The drive is wide open while the baskets are in a lightly wooded area.
Cons: This course made me feel somewhat special, because I birdied every hole. But, I am a novice and I know I am not that good.

So, based on the that, I did not think this course was very challenging. The sidewalk-marked tee pads are near impossible to find. And, the pads that are there are extremely small.

For starter I never found the first basket pad. I just threw from what I thought was a reasonable spot near the sidewalk at the edge of the park on Mitchell Avenue.

To me, It seemed a bit unreasonable to have a couple of par fives at this small course. Par four would even be a stretch. I have a feeling that this course was an after thought, or just not planned well.
Other Thoughts: The only saving grace for this course was the newish baskets. This was a waist of time. I will never return to this course, even if invited.

To end on a positive note, if you live close to Frontier Park it would be a good place to practice.

5+    6/27/2011   6/28/2011
Review By: DocHaole
Pros: - 9 Holes all have baskets

- Some long holes, much more length than your average 9 hole neighborhood course.

- Small hills come into play now and then.
Cons: -People everywhere, to the point where it takes away from any positive that the course has to offer.

- Fairways crossing all over the place, but still the biggest obstacles are the crowds of people you will by trying to avoid.

- Tee pads are laughably small
Other Thoughts: Think of this course as the kind you can't go on weekends. . . or weekdays after 3 pm due to crowds. Even if I lived a mile away from this course I would drive to Deerfield.

It is far more enjoyable on a weekday morning but when it comes to playing at peak times it is pure misery.

Some Minuscule Teepads!

1    4/8/2010   4/8/2010
Pros: The baskets are standing there. It would be a decent place to work on your short to mid-range game. Some elevation to contend with. As can be said with any city park course in America, there are options for safari golf. II think some of the holes are longer than your garden variety pitch and putt.
Cons: This had the tiniest teepads (maybe 1' x 4') which were right up against a concrete wall. Navigation was nightmarish. A few tees are marked on sidewalks but I couldn't make much sense of them. I played early in the morning (7:30 AM) and some guy was already hauling out barbaques and chairs. I'm sure it wouldn't have been playable within the hour.
Other Thoughts: Sorry, I didn't enjoy this course. It may only be three miles from Deerfield Park in Irvine but it' seems like a world away. Although roughly the same size park, Deerfield is clean and feels safe. If I lived close to here and wanted to play a park 9 holer, I'd drive to Deerfield. If I lived within walking distance of Frontier, I'd only play between 4 AM and 7 AM.

1    2/14/2010   2/14/2010
Review By: Danger
Pros: -Grass is well kept.
-All holes have baskets.
-Freeway friendly.
-The holes, independent of the rest of the course, were at least kind of interesting.
Cons: -Navigation is impossible if you do not have a map. I drew up the map provided on this site and was able to figure it out. Could not find tee for 3.
-Fairways cross constantly. If there were ANY other golfers there it would be difficult to play.
-Could not play holes 1, 2 and 9 due to other park goers. Park was not busy.
-Tee pads were a joke. Some were 1' x 5' strips that back up along a wall.
Other Thoughts: This course plays through a well used playground area for the first 3 holes, then mindlessly crosses a field from all directions. Rolling hills and trees dominate the borders of the park, with a relatively clear fairway 'area' in the center of the park that holes 3 through 9 take advantage of; all at once. From all directions.

I got a very nice birdie on the first hole so I tried REALLY hard to like this park, but I found it to be the worst out of any course I have played.

The park was not busy, but there were a few people there barbecuing and using the playground. Nonetheless, we were unable to play 3 of the holes. This to me is very poor course design. The park is too small for disc golf. Hole 9's basket is surrounded by prime picnic benches that border the play area.

Concrete tees are not numbered, but do generally indicate where the next hole is. 5 and 8 are marked, on the sidewalk, in one tight area. 3 was also supposed to be somewhere in that area but we could not find it. We just teed off approximately where our map told us to. Additionally, those 3 tees are surrounded on both sides by baskets, so people are driving toward you from two directions.

The only thing that can help this course is a complete redesign. The cris-crossing fairways make it impossible for more than one group to play simultaneously and casually.

All negativity aside, if the park is completely deserted, I can see enjoying your time here. Holes are descent, utilizing small rolling hills and trees on every shot. Some are short but all exceed 200 feet. I don't ever expect to go to a park and find it not being used, so I assume this is impossible. While tempting to stop by due to its proximity to the 5 freeway, I will not waste my time stopping by again.

Where is hole 1? :

1    12/15/2009   12/15/2009
Review By: Apothecary
Pros: -Green grass
-Baskets in pretty good shape (one was leaning 10 degrees or so off to the side)
-Concrete to tee off from
-Playground-close for the kiddies
-Many safari options
-Not crowded at all. I was the only disc golfer on the course when i played it. I asked a couple people that were milling about if they played disc golf and they looked at me as if I was crazy. :
-Good use of small hills to work in a little elevation change when putting
-Plenty of parking on the adjacent streets
Cons: -No signs
-The course layout is pretty much impossible to navigate. Some baskets are numbered, but the numbers don't appear to be aiming at any designated tee-off area.
-No pro shop, maps or other golfers to help navigate.
-Tight area for 9 holes. One can pretty much throw their putter across the space this course has to work with.
-Trash Trash Trash. This place had plastic bottles, soiled baby diapers, and aluminum cans strewn about the course. Not many trash cans either.
Other Thoughts: Frontier Park is a little strip of green grass and playground equipment in Tustin, CA. I spent about an hour there and couldn't figure the place out.
Three labeled baskets are the only navigation aide that greet golfers here. I spent my time there pretty much playing safari golf. there are three or four 2'x4' tee pads on the course periphery, so I would shoot from one side of the course and then back, picking a different basket each time. I probably played the whole course, but who knows? I spent the rest of my time there practicing putting with Lola, who thoroughly enjoyed sniffing the loads of trash on the ground about the park. I, however, did not enjoy the trash.
This course is good for working on your short game, but it's a beginner course shoe-horned on a very small piece of property. Best bet is to skip it and go to one of the many superior courses in the area.

Picnickers Galore!

1    1/5/2009   5/27/2009
Review By: mashnut
This review was updated on 2/24/2010
Pros: The course is set in a mostly flat park, with a few very small elevation changes. There are large trees scattered throughout, with lots of open grassy space. The park is very nicely maintained, and the grass and other plants seemed well taken care of.

There were very friendly local players who showed us around, and showed us where all the alternate tees were. There was a very nice map at the beginning of the course, but it only showed the original 9 tees. Many of the alternate tees gave a different look at the basket, which kept the 'back nine' interesting rather than just replaying the same holes.
Cons: There was an enormous number of families having picnics all over the course, and this made it very difficult to play many of the holes. The locals said this was a pretty common problem on the course, which would really slow down the play on the course. Unfortunately, the non disc golfers on the course seemed oblivious to the course, and insisted that we should just throw past/over/through them.

Many of the tees were very strange tiny strips of concrete. We ended up using the grass next to these, so it wasn't a major issue, but it would have been nice if they were a normal size. The course also could have used signs throughout as it was in a tight area, and it was not always clear which tee to walk to or which basket to shoot at.

Because the course was in such a small area, many holes threw right on top of each other, and there were some crossing fairways. When the course isn't busy it wouldn't be an issue, but we played when there were a number of other players on the course and it was definitely a safety issue.
Other Thoughts: There were a few interesting holes, and overall it was a fun little round. I wouldn't drive too far out of your way to play this course, but if you happen to be in the area it's not a bad place to play. If you have the chance to play it on a weekday, you'll probably have a better experience without all the people all over the course.

not much fun

2-4    3/15/2009   3/25/2009
Review By: bazillion
This review was updated on 12/11/2011
Pros: [12/30/2010 edits in brackets]

For a 9-hole course, this one's [not all that] good. [It does have some] trees and other obstacles, a clean space, and good distance especially for noodle arms like me, [but read below for vital info that should affect your decision whether or not to play here].

Tee pads vary. Some are painted onto walkways, but others are made for midgets - 18" wide, 2-3 feet long, some back up into a wall! This is good for a "stand-and-deliver" driving style, but with these tees you can forget any kind of run-up.

[added 11-30-09]: Extremely easy to get to off I-5 so if you're just passing through with not much spare time, you can get in a quick nine and be back on the road in about 20 minutes.
Cons: [Some teepads are hard to find. The map at the course is useless.]

Timing is everything. Show up on Sunday afternoon and you'll share the park with large numbers of picnickers, kids, and families out for some sun. [They will not want to move to let you through, so you can play risk/reward or start skipping holes.]

Fairways cross in several places. [This is a huge issue, even when the only people in the park are DGers. Should not be, as we learned at Deerfield.]
Other Thoughts: I'm [not] planning to play this course regularly [even though] I live [within walking distance].

[Now that I've played some of the other courses around here, this one really loses out in comparison. The crossing fairways and the crowds are MEGA issues. I'm downgrading the course and editing the above comments accordingly.]