Georgetown, TX
Rivery Park Share
Uploaded By: teebob Hole #1 (Taken 11/2009)
Hole #1 Tee: Granite tee box and blue tops

Rivery - Riverish

1    3/31/2010   7/31/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I really enjoyed my round here. In the end the high fun factor makes this course stand out for me as one of the better courses in the north Austin metro area. I only played this course once when I lived in the Austin and I wished that I had played it much more when I finally got to it. Rivery is a shady and wind sheltered course. There are lots of tunnel shots, which are a personal favorite type of course, yet there is a balance with some open areas. Taller than normal trees specifically the central Texas cedars that provide a short ceiling for most area courses give way to larger type of tree near the river. If you were pressed for time you can shorten your round by skipping ahead to number thirteen which I always like as an option in a course design. The park is near I-35 and is not too tricky to get to; the parking is self-explanatory as well as finding your way to the number one tee box. There a few memorable holes most are short and tight, which I like.
Cons: The back nine was hard for me (map less) to find. I was doing fine by following the group ahead of me and then they decided to make a quick round out of it and skip to number thirteen. From this point, without a map it was very hard to find the next hole which after so work I found to be on the other side of the bridge much further from basket to next tee-box than the rest of the course flows. This course could use some nice new concrete tee pads. There's not much to complain about. If this course had the money and love that some of the other area courses had it could easily jump its rating up.
Other Thoughts: Pretty solid course, for me the place felt like it had gone through the types of changes that establish a course and create something better with each passing tweak. I say this about every Austin area course but if you only have time to hit up a handful of courses than this should be in your second tier. If you are traveling the newer courses are much better. This course has a pretty good fun factor. I wish I could play this course right now.

Nice Shady Course

1    3/26/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: cfmack
Pros: I can pretty much reiterate what "breakingday" has already stated. This is a well laid out course along the river. I absolutely love hole 10 and hole 11, which are fairly unique holes I have not found else where. There is lots of shade, which means lots of trees and technical shots
Cons: With the exception of 10 and 11, a lot of the holes look the exact same ... trees. Just be prepared to get a few knicks on your discs. A few of the tee-boxes are missing signs or are re-labeled with a giant marker.
Other Thoughts: Just played in early spring on a Saturday and saw no other golfers.

Cool course right off of 35

5+    2/10/2010   2/14/2010
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: This course is a technical golfers dream. You must be able to hit a line and be able to hit it on annys, hyzers, and the straight ones. The baskets are nice and I like the natural tee pads as well. This course can be enjoyed by all skill levels due to the mix of shots. The scenery is nice and even though it is right next to 35, there doesnt seem to be much road noice which helps out the enjoyment factor. There is always a bunch of wildlife running around here which is neat. Many of the greens have elevation in them making a bad putt or up roll off and making the score go up. If you find yourself hitting trees you will ping pong your way through this whole course.
Cons: Navigation is the biggest issue and first timers will need a map or a local to get through this course. Like said before there are many long walks in between holes but I dont mind them. The rough can be rough for sure. The rocks can turn an ankle pretty quick so watch where you step.
Other Thoughts: I always hit this couse cause of its easy access from the highway. It is very fun if you have the patience and I think you will enjoy it.

Good heavens... "and God created wood."

2-4    12/13/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: HoopHound
This review was updated on 12/17/2009
Pros: Most demanding course I've played. Fine annys, fine hyzers or laser straight. Requires precision on 13 out of 18 pins.
Cons: Long walks between 5&6, 11&12. Short trek from 17 to 18 and from 18 to 1...
Other Thoughts: Very difficult, but all in all, a nice course. I gave it 3 stars because it made my game better by forcing me to think on every shot instead of heaving a drive at each tee. I'd trim a few trees if it were mine just to make some of the tee shots less ridiculous. Especially # 13.

Needs Work

5+    8/10/2009   10/7/2009
Review By: 4thechains@gmail.com
This review was updated on 10/28/2013
Pros: Fun course with a lot of technical shots. I will provide a new review once the course re-design has been completed.
Cons: Course is currently under construction and several holes have been removed.
Other Thoughts: Could be a great park if someone put some effort into it.

Challenge in Georgetown

2-4    11/26/2008   11/26/2008
Review By: discinator
This review was updated on 11/29/2008
Pros: This is one technical course. I claim Circle C in Austin as my home course and I have to say that as far as technical goes this course has them all beat.

It has lots of elevation changes, very tough tunnel shots, and even some short aceable holes( they are short but it takes one heck of a shot to hit them).

This is an interesting course. It is brutal as far as being very narrow and heavily wooded, but none of the holes is very long so you can still make par even if you whack a tree off the tee. Just make sure you bring your midrange discs with you. A good approach game is a must.

Being short, this course is a quick playing course. As some of the other reviews mentioned, this course has some very memorable holes- 10 and 11 come to mind due to their very short length and surprising toughness.

Cons: This course is very poorly marked. I had a course map with me due to the other reviews and advice from the guys at dgcr, but I happened upon some tourists from Florida on my second 18 and they mentioned that if I hadn't come along they wouldn't have been able to find some of the holes.

At times this course seems rediculous, especially hole 12. This is just my opinion, but you shouldn't have to be Ken Climo to find and hit the line to the basket. Give us a break and at least give one decent line for a fairway. I like them difficult, but some of these were just unfair to say the least. It is the same for everyone, but it would be more fun IMO.

A lot of the signs are from the old layout so it gets very confusing.

The dirt tees are the normal Austin standard- crappy.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course overall and I'm glad I went out of my way to play it, but it won't be one of the courses I frequent when I head north from S. Austin. If they put a little work into the details this could be a really great course, but as it stands right now I would call it mediocre at best.

8/1/2007   7/6/2008
Review By: bacr
Pros: The park has recently undergone some construction and the course has been rearranged, so if you haven't played there in the last 2-3 years, you will find an entirely different course.

The Rivery is a pretty tough course. It plays down by the San Gabe river, so the holes are mostly short and heavily wooded. Accuracy is a must because many of the holes don't even have a fairway...you can just see the pin across the forest from where you are standing.
Cons: The back half of the course can be difficult to find because you need to go under the bridge.

Don't try to go barefoot or anything, I can guarantee you will be trooping through some brush.
Other Thoughts: Other than having some difficult to find holes, the Rivery is a pretty good course. Just don't expect to make very many long throws.