Georgetown, TX
Uploaded By: sidewinding Hole #12

Rivery - Riverish

1    3/31/2010   7/31/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I really enjoyed my round here. In the end the high fun factor makes this course stand out for me as one of the better courses in the north Austin metro area. I only played this course once when I lived in the Austin and I wished that I had played it much more when I finally got to it. Rivery is a shady and wind sheltered course. There are lots of tunnel shots, which are a personal favorite type of course, yet there is a balance with some open areas. Taller than normal trees specifically the central Texas cedars that provide a short ceiling for most area courses give way to larger type of tree near the river. If you were pressed for time you can shorten your round by skipping ahead to number thirteen which I always like as an option in a course design. The park is near I-35 and is not too tricky to get to; the parking is self-explanatory as well as finding your way to the number one tee box. There a few memorable holes most are short and tight, which I like.
Cons: The back nine was hard for me (map less) to find. I was doing fine by following the group ahead of me and then they decided to make a quick round out of it and skip to number thirteen. From this point, without a map it was very hard to find the next hole which after so work I found to be on the other side of the bridge much further from basket to next tee-box than the rest of the course flows. This course could use some nice new concrete tee pads. There's not much to complain about. If this course had the money and love that some of the other area courses had it could easily jump its rating up.
Other Thoughts: Pretty solid course, for me the place felt like it had gone through the types of changes that establish a course and create something better with each passing tweak. I say this about every Austin area course but if you only have time to hit up a handful of courses than this should be in your second tier. If you are traveling the newer courses are much better. This course has a pretty good fun factor. I wish I could play this course right now.

Nice Shady Course

1    3/26/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: cfmack
Pros: I can pretty much reiterate what "breakingday" has already stated. This is a well laid out course along the river. I absolutely love hole 10 and hole 11, which are fairly unique holes I have not found else where. There is lots of shade, which means lots of trees and technical shots
Cons: With the exception of 10 and 11, a lot of the holes look the exact same ... trees. Just be prepared to get a few knicks on your discs. A few of the tee-boxes are missing signs or are re-labeled with a giant marker.
Other Thoughts: Just played in early spring on a Saturday and saw no other golfers.

Adventurous Course

1    4/18/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: Overhanding4distance
Pros: Set along the San Gabriel River, Rivery Park is a beautifully wooded course that commands a variety of shots from players. I enjoyed playing it because of the mild elevation and scenic setting. I loved throwing alongside old caves and on the embankments of hills. This course has ace and birdie opportunities on a few holes. The baskets out here are quality too.
Cons: As mentioned before, bad signage. On some holes there are no signs. Print out a map before going and you should be fine.
I would love to see more trash bins, concrete tee boxes, and some overgrown grass maintained.
Long walk from 11 to 12. People biking and jogging will be present on this trek
Other Thoughts: Overall very good course, with some minor improvements and maintenance, it could become considered one of the top courses in the area.

Best course in the area!

5+    4/15/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: breakingday
Pros: GREAT course. Technical as hell, but still a few fairway shots to make you feel better. Rivery is easily my favorite course in the area, due to the need to actually concentrate before lobbing a driver onto the field. There are many different ways to play through each of the holes - whether you want to overhand, flick, or even thumb it on up there.

Also, the overabundance of trees makes for a great wind blocker, and really allows you to practice precise shots without worrying about how the wind's acting.
Cons: There's some serious tree-love going on. Rivery is a VERY brushy course, and I wouldn't suggest bringing new players unless they're throwing their own discs.

Watch out for hole 14 in particular.
Other Thoughts: Best in the Summer or Winter, though it's more than playable year round.

Challenging and Beautiful

5+    4/3/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: destrokhan
Pros: Rivery is a technical course with holes on the shorter side that are heavily wooded. There are plenty of ace opportunities and one that is impossible to ace. The rocky terrain midway through the course offers some interesting holes and also great places to sit and have a beer. There's a water fall near hole 10 that's pretty awesome. I personally like more technical courses and Rivery has plenty of holes that require finesse rather than monster jamming although there are a few early on and one towards the end but nothing really long. Never crowded, one of the biggest things that turns me off about Zilker and Pease are the crowds and having to wait and then rushed to throw. I've only ran into three or four other groups of disc golfers in the past year of going here and I like that.
Cons: 1st time players need to bring a map, this course is impossible to navigate without one, it's poorly marked (there aren't any updated signs but they recently added pink markers on the tees) and heavily wooded. I've seen many 1st timers quit after hole 5. As of right now there are stinging nettles all over the course so keep an eye out. There is a nasty water hazard on hole 14 which wasn't a problem last summer but with the rain we've been getting the San Gabriel river is higher and a lot closer to the fairway. The higher amount of rain has also caused a lot of undergrowth off the fairways so there's potential for disc loss but most of the terrain is rocky so it's generally easy to find discs. There aren't a lot of trash cans, but that's not a big problem if you have a back pack
Other Thoughts: Although it's hard to navigate at first, after you get the course layout down this is one of the best courses in Central Texas and definitely the least crowded.

Wow! I'll say it Again - Wow!

1    3/13/2010   3/16/2010
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros: Rivery Park has a fantastic selection of tight tunnels, and forced controlled shots. This isn't the place where you go for it every time, rather methodically place each shot to set up for the next. From the beginning, hole one is a very cool 10' wide tunnel over 166' that can easily go from birdie to bogey depending on your accuracy. There is good distance variation forcing hyzers and anhyzers throughout the course, and the pavilion area is good place for the kids to stay busy while you're off trekking through the woods.

Have I mentioned how cool this course feels sandwiched between the rocky cliffs and the North San Gabriel River? I'm a sucker for good scenery, and have played amazing golf in the Colorado Rockies, and yet holes #9, #10, and #11 still blew me away. You get a taste of the rocky hillside on #7 and #8, but the epic #9-#11 combo was some of the most intensely rocky and phenomenal golf I have ever played. The holes themselves aren't particularly difficult, and should yield many pars and even birdies, but the look of the pins nestled up against the rocky cliffs just blew my mind. With all of the rain, I got to even experience a small waterfall behind #10 pin - how often can you say that playing disc golf in Texas?

BEST HOLE/S: #10; #1
Cons: Redesigns are always a killer to a course without proper follow through. From the very start, the course awkwardly leads you through difficult layout on a tight piece of property. YOU MUST HAVE A MAP! You will get lost without it. Trust your map and you shouldn't have a big issue, plus there are plenty of locals who were happy to point me in the right directions. This place used to play more under I-35, but I'm happy they have now sent you out on a walk to experience the middle third of the course - and trust me, there is certainly a walk.

Besides making some long walks between holes, parking is horrendous, and since it is a popular place - space is always an issue. Just be prepared not to have a spot close on a busy day since the parking lot holds twenty cars at best.

WORST HOLE/S: #15
Other Thoughts: Simply put, Rivery Park is an awesome experience and the best in this northern area. I've finally played enough courses to know when I stumble upon some special, and this place is it. Ratings aren't everything, and this place will never receive top ten courses ratings until it solves many of its logistical problems. But to me however it's the experience that is more important, so forget the shortcomings, relax, and make a day at this place. I recommend going from now to May since that's when the weather makes it at its best.

The course has issues - and can certainly be frustrating if you don't like tight and technical - but the trip is worth everything just to walk holes #9-#11. Plus, unlike the three reviewers that obviously played their round together without a map, and then decided to destroy the overall course rating - I would go out of my way to play here anytime. It's funny - you take these three ratings out of the mix and you get a 3.5, which is a much more accurate course reflection. So, don't be an idiot like them, and bring your map - and I promise you'll have a great time.

Fun and Sadistic

1    2/28/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: MoonT4
Pros: The designer really did a great job of making a full course of precise and challenging holes here. The s.hots are not real long, but they require a lot of precision.
Cons: The holes are marked with an old numbering system. New tee signs are really needed here unless you have a local to show you the course. Even with a map, some of us got lost as we broke away into two groups
Other Thoughts: Other than the signage, this was a really fun course, I will again attempt this course, but I will not put this in my top courses to play, but if in the area, I will play it.

Cool course right off of 35

5+    2/10/2010   2/14/2010
Review By: Roc1Time
Pros: This course is a technical golfers dream. You must be able to hit a line and be able to hit it on annys, hyzers, and the straight ones. The baskets are nice and I like the natural tee pads as well. This course can be enjoyed by all skill levels due to the mix of shots. The scenery is nice and even though it is right next to 35, there doesnt seem to be much road noice which helps out the enjoyment factor. There is always a bunch of wildlife running around here which is neat. Many of the greens have elevation in them making a bad putt or up roll off and making the score go up. If you find yourself hitting trees you will ping pong your way through this whole course.
Cons: Navigation is the biggest issue and first timers will need a map or a local to get through this course. Like said before there are many long walks in between holes but I dont mind them. The rough can be rough for sure. The rocks can turn an ankle pretty quick so watch where you step.
Other Thoughts: I always hit this couse cause of its easy access from the highway. It is very fun if you have the patience and I think you will enjoy it.

Good heavens... "and God created wood."

2-4    12/13/2009   12/14/2009
Review By: HoopHound
This review was updated on 12/17/2009
Pros: Most demanding course I've played. Fine annys, fine hyzers or laser straight. Requires precision on 13 out of 18 pins.
Cons: Long walks between 5&6, 11&12. Short trek from 17 to 18 and from 18 to 1...
Other Thoughts: Very difficult, but all in all, a nice course. I gave it 3 stars because it made my game better by forcing me to think on every shot instead of heaving a drive at each tee. I'd trim a few trees if it were mine just to make some of the tee shots less ridiculous. Especially # 13.

1    11/28/2009   11/28/2009
Review By: AlexBradford
Pros: This course is very difficult, but alot of fun to play. There are plenty of tight shots through the trees that you have to be able to deal with. Be ready to use a WIDE variety of shots to get to the basket. One of the best things about this course is the scenery that surrounds the holes.
Cons: Fairly poorly marked with only a few signs on the first holes; however, the tee boxes are generally well marked with blue markers. If I didn't have the map that I printed off of dgcoursereview, I imagine I would have been pretty lost.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the more challenging and all-around enjoyable courses that I have played in a while. I would have to describe it as unique. I can't wait to play again.