Georgetown, TX
Uploaded By: sidewinding Hole #11

scenic and fun

5+    3/27/2012   4/13/2012
Review By: jaredfestjared
Pros: This course is awesome, its very scenic and a lot of wildlife to see when you play in the early mornings from different types of birds to deer. This course has a variety of holes, everything from tight tunnel shots to open holes and a few doglegs throughout the course. There are also some awesome elevation holes. The flow of the course is very nice and laid out. My favorite holes are 10 and 11 both are so scenic with a cliff cafe behind 10 that you throw up to. Hole 11 you throw between boulders, its short but it is very fun and challenging with a few well place trees. Also from the first time to the last time I have played this course it has been a lot more established and a few trees have been cleared out to make the some of the holes a lot better to play.
Cons: No cement pads, but it isn't too bad most are pretty level. Sometimes after it rains the tee pads can be small lakes so you have to find a different place to throw from. A couple holes have a lot of trees to where it isn't skill just luck but like I said there has been some recent tree clearing now making most all holes having attainable throws. The holes need signs to be put up with directions to the next holes as well. could be easy to miss some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: Cement pads with some signage would be awesome and a few less trees would make it awesome. The park has a lot of other amenities with a nice paved trail following the San Gabriel River. This is a nice developing course worth checking out, was one of my favorites in the north Austin area.

One of my favorites

1    9/19/2011   9/19/2011
Review By: shtfox13
Pros: Awesome hole design. Good mix of tight anhyzer and hyzer shots. Some very tight fairways with straight shots needed. Even had to throw a few tomahawks and thumbers when I got out of the fairway. Lots of Ace chances with avery. Course requires good accuracy but I had a blast playing it. Some amazing rock formations around holes 7-12. There were a pack of 6 deer that watched me throw hole 11. some makeshift tables randomly through out with lots of trashcans around and I think at every hole just about.
Cons: Like everyone else has said signs. Course has been redesigned and there are some old post up that can make it very confusing. I downloaded the .pdf course map onto my phone and had no problems navigating. Also Tee Pads are natural and very worn in most locations. Pads had 2 Blue surveyor Whiskers in the ground that surprisingly were at every tee pa but I really had to look for a few.
Other Thoughts: This course would easily be a 4-4.5 star course with some signs and level pad areas.Overall though I had I great time here and was using my compass as if I was orienteering and somewhere lost out in the woods navigating from basket to basket even though you are not at all that far form civilization. I feel the natural tee pads add to the feeling of the course but even some plywood signs could make the course better for first timers

Excellent Technical

5+    8/8/2011   8/17/2011
Review By: Turner512
Pros: Excellent course design. 18 of the most diverse and wooded holes Georgetown can offer. Although not a lot of open shots or elevation changes this is a challenging enjoyable course. Some holes will have you screaming with anger and others will have you begging for more. A definite course worth playing and worth the drive from Austin. Hole 1 is a narrow shot but offers a little forgiveness for being short and easy to ace. Hole 2 starts with an open fairway but quickly tightens with a 5 foot path directly to the basket short and has a few aces. Hole 3 has a very narrow path but opens up to a slight hill difficult hole but has a tomahawk ace. Hole 4 is a little longer but nothing too difficult to accomplish in 3 throws. Narrow path but not wide enough for a little error. Hole 5 starts open and but has little margin for error when navigating to the basket. Ends wooded. Hole 6 is hard dog leg left requiring a basic right angle. Hole 7 is a narrow wooded shot with an incline to the left where the basket lies. Precise putting will avoid the embarrassing roll away. Hole 8 is a narrow path that opens up over a creek. Woods to the right requires a left fading throw good for rhbh. Hole 9 is a very difficult shot. A constant turn right will demand an interesting to luck shot. Hole 10 is up a hill and very short. Very aceable. Just watch youtube. Hole 11 is also a very short shot but takes some navigating through some trees. Hole 12 is probably the most difficult hole of the course. A veil of trees makes accurate shots impossible. You will rely on luck. Hole 13 is a difficult dog leg left even for rhbh. Has an excellent opportunity for tomahawk or thumber. Hole 14 is a squeeze with a straight shot. Basket is on a decline requiring accurate putting. Hole 15 has excellent tree placement seeming to always be right in your way. Slight right. Hole 16 Is a dog leg left but does not allow for mistake. Hole 17 is a distant path down a hill and to the left. Hole 18 narrow path down a hill to the left. Plenty of trees.
Cons: A flood in September of 2010 changed everything about this course. Some for better and some for worse. A lot of holes take some searching. Prepare for treasure hunt. Beware of some fake tee signs. No baskets on these.
Other Thoughts: This course will test your temper and hone your skills. If you can look past the difficult to find holes and the worn tee pads you will heavily enjoy this course.

Rivery - Riverish

1    3/31/2010   7/31/2011
Review By: DGtourist
Pros: I really enjoyed my round here. In the end the high fun factor makes this course stand out for me as one of the better courses in the north Austin metro area. I only played this course once when I lived in the Austin and I wished that I had played it much more when I finally got to it. Rivery is a shady and wind sheltered course. There are lots of tunnel shots, which are a personal favorite type of course, yet there is a balance with some open areas. Taller than normal trees specifically the central Texas cedars that provide a short ceiling for most area courses give way to larger type of tree near the river. If you were pressed for time you can shorten your round by skipping ahead to number thirteen which I always like as an option in a course design. The park is near I-35 and is not too tricky to get to; the parking is self-explanatory as well as finding your way to the number one tee box. There a few memorable holes most are short and tight, which I like.
Cons: The back nine was hard for me (map less) to find. I was doing fine by following the group ahead of me and then they decided to make a quick round out of it and skip to number thirteen. From this point, without a map it was very hard to find the next hole which after so work I found to be on the other side of the bridge much further from basket to next tee-box than the rest of the course flows. This course could use some nice new concrete tee pads. There's not much to complain about. If this course had the money and love that some of the other area courses had it could easily jump its rating up.
Other Thoughts: Pretty solid course, for me the place felt like it had gone through the types of changes that establish a course and create something better with each passing tweak. I say this about every Austin area course but if you only have time to hit up a handful of courses than this should be in your second tier. If you are traveling the newer courses are much better. This course has a pretty good fun factor. I wish I could play this course right now.

Nice Shady Course

1    3/26/2011   3/26/2011
Review By: cfmack
Pros: I can pretty much reiterate what "breakingday" has already stated. This is a well laid out course along the river. I absolutely love hole 10 and hole 11, which are fairly unique holes I have not found else where. There is lots of shade, which means lots of trees and technical shots
Cons: With the exception of 10 and 11, a lot of the holes look the exact same ... trees. Just be prepared to get a few knicks on your discs. A few of the tee-boxes are missing signs or are re-labeled with a giant marker.
Other Thoughts: Just played in early spring on a Saturday and saw no other golfers.

Adventurous Course

1    4/18/2010   4/18/2010
Review By: Overhanding4distance
Pros: Set along the San Gabriel River, Rivery Park is a beautifully wooded course that commands a variety of shots from players. I enjoyed playing it because of the mild elevation and scenic setting. I loved throwing alongside old caves and on the embankments of hills. This course has ace and birdie opportunities on a few holes. The baskets out here are quality too.
Cons: As mentioned before, bad signage. On some holes there are no signs. Print out a map before going and you should be fine.
I would love to see more trash bins, concrete tee boxes, and some overgrown grass maintained.
Long walk from 11 to 12. People biking and jogging will be present on this trek
Other Thoughts: Overall very good course, with some minor improvements and maintenance, it could become considered one of the top courses in the area.

Best course in the area!

5+    4/15/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: breakingday
Pros: GREAT course. Technical as hell, but still a few fairway shots to make you feel better. Rivery is easily my favorite course in the area, due to the need to actually concentrate before lobbing a driver onto the field. There are many different ways to play through each of the holes - whether you want to overhand, flick, or even thumb it on up there.

Also, the overabundance of trees makes for a great wind blocker, and really allows you to practice precise shots without worrying about how the wind's acting.
Cons: There's some serious tree-love going on. Rivery is a VERY brushy course, and I wouldn't suggest bringing new players unless they're throwing their own discs.

Watch out for hole 14 in particular.
Other Thoughts: Best in the Summer or Winter, though it's more than playable year round.

Challenging and Beautiful

5+    4/3/2010   4/6/2010
Review By: destrokhan
Pros: Rivery is a technical course with holes on the shorter side that are heavily wooded. There are plenty of ace opportunities and one that is impossible to ace. The rocky terrain midway through the course offers some interesting holes and also great places to sit and have a beer. There's a water fall near hole 10 that's pretty awesome. I personally like more technical courses and Rivery has plenty of holes that require finesse rather than monster jamming although there are a few early on and one towards the end but nothing really long. Never crowded, one of the biggest things that turns me off about Zilker and Pease are the crowds and having to wait and then rushed to throw. I've only ran into three or four other groups of disc golfers in the past year of going here and I like that.
Cons: 1st time players need to bring a map, this course is impossible to navigate without one, it's poorly marked (there aren't any updated signs but they recently added pink markers on the tees) and heavily wooded. I've seen many 1st timers quit after hole 5. As of right now there are stinging nettles all over the course so keep an eye out. There is a nasty water hazard on hole 14 which wasn't a problem last summer but with the rain we've been getting the San Gabriel river is higher and a lot closer to the fairway. The higher amount of rain has also caused a lot of undergrowth off the fairways so there's potential for disc loss but most of the terrain is rocky so it's generally easy to find discs. There aren't a lot of trash cans, but that's not a big problem if you have a back pack
Other Thoughts: Although it's hard to navigate at first, after you get the course layout down this is one of the best courses in Central Texas and definitely the least crowded.

Wow! I'll say it Again - Wow!

1    3/13/2010   3/16/2010
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/26/2010
Pros: Rivery Park has a fantastic selection of tight tunnels, and forced controlled shots. This isn't the place where you go for it every time, rather methodically place each shot to set up for the next. From the beginning, hole one is a very cool 10' wide tunnel over 166' that can easily go from birdie to bogey depending on your accuracy. There is good distance variation forcing hyzers and anhyzers throughout the course, and the pavilion area is good place for the kids to stay busy while you're off trekking through the woods.

Have I mentioned how cool this course feels sandwiched between the rocky cliffs and the North San Gabriel River? I'm a sucker for good scenery, and have played amazing golf in the Colorado Rockies, and yet holes #9, #10, and #11 still blew me away. You get a taste of the rocky hillside on #7 and #8, but the epic #9-#11 combo was some of the most intensely rocky and phenomenal golf I have ever played. The holes themselves aren't particularly difficult, and should yield many pars and even birdies, but the look of the pins nestled up against the rocky cliffs just blew my mind. With all of the rain, I got to even experience a small waterfall behind #10 pin - how often can you say that playing disc golf in Texas?

BEST HOLE/S: #10; #1
Cons: Redesigns are always a killer to a course without proper follow through. From the very start, the course awkwardly leads you through difficult layout on a tight piece of property. YOU MUST HAVE A MAP! You will get lost without it. Trust your map and you shouldn't have a big issue, plus there are plenty of locals who were happy to point me in the right directions. This place used to play more under I-35, but I'm happy they have now sent you out on a walk to experience the middle third of the course - and trust me, there is certainly a walk.

Besides making some long walks between holes, parking is horrendous, and since it is a popular place - space is always an issue. Just be prepared not to have a spot close on a busy day since the parking lot holds twenty cars at best.

WORST HOLE/S: #15
Other Thoughts: Simply put, Rivery Park is an awesome experience and the best in this northern area. I've finally played enough courses to know when I stumble upon some special, and this place is it. Ratings aren't everything, and this place will never receive top ten courses ratings until it solves many of its logistical problems. But to me however it's the experience that is more important, so forget the shortcomings, relax, and make a day at this place. I recommend going from now to May since that's when the weather makes it at its best.

The course has issues - and can certainly be frustrating if you don't like tight and technical - but the trip is worth everything just to walk holes #9-#11. Plus, unlike the three reviewers that obviously played their round together without a map, and then decided to destroy the overall course rating - I would go out of my way to play here anytime. It's funny - you take these three ratings out of the mix and you get a 3.5, which is a much more accurate course reflection. So, don't be an idiot like them, and bring your map - and I promise you'll have a great time.

Fun and Sadistic

1    2/28/2010   2/28/2010
Review By: MoonT4
Pros: The designer really did a great job of making a full course of precise and challenging holes here. The s.hots are not real long, but they require a lot of precision.
Cons: The holes are marked with an old numbering system. New tee signs are really needed here unless you have a local to show you the course. Even with a map, some of us got lost as we broke away into two groups
Other Thoughts: Other than the signage, this was a really fun course, I will again attempt this course, but I will not put this in my top courses to play, but if in the area, I will play it.