Collinsville, IL
Woodland Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #15 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #15 White Tee (hole plays straight ahead through tree gaurded fairway with OB water down left side)

Older Course With Nice Terrain And Nasty, Skanky Water Hazards!

1    10/23/2015   11/3/2015
Pros: Woodland Park is a lovely park with a nice rolling terrain much of which slopes down to this, apparently stagnant, green looking body of water. I'm not sure if it's a very slow moving river, creek or what. The park is just a little bit on the shady, rundown side of things. Not quite scary bad, just not inviting clean and nice and well kept up.

The course has a nice big course map sign at the beginning. There is also one of the better on-line maps here at DGCR if you want to print it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to print one off. It would have saved me a lot of wasted time and steps.

There are three sets of tee pads. Only the Blues (Longer ones) are concrete. The reds and the Whites are natural. The Blue tees have nice metal signs but there is no signage anywhere else. I also ran into some helpful next tee signs/markers throughout the course. The baskets are older models with chains starting to rust. They didn't affect my game but I think we're all spoiled with courses with brand new bright, pretty baskets.

Playing by myself, navigation was tricky and I found myself wandering around quite a bit.

I think my favorite hole was # 14. It's 275' from the Reds with a valley to cross. It was a pretty little throw.

I ended up passing on both # 8 and # 9 with the basket set close to the nasty water. Not knowing the course, I didn't feel like chancing a disc in the soup on either of those holes.

Cons: I found this naked Barbie doll on # 7 wrapped seductively in tape. I'm not sure what she had been used for, but I had a really disturbing feeling about it. After depositing her in the nearest trash can, I feel I couldn't wash my hands enough times.

I would be much more of a fan of this course if the water was clean and not so nasty and scummy.

Old baskets with rusty chains.

Long walkouts after # 4 and # 6 were confusing.

Lack of signage on longer tees.

Overall sketchy feel of park.

Other Thoughts: I think I could grow to embrace this course if I played it a few more times. It really has a number of nice holes. Playing in a group would help, as would just figuring out how to layup to avoid the skanky water.

However, right now, playing the way it is, it's in need of some general upgrading. In the future, it could use, some better signage, concrete tee pads on the Blues, new baskets. That's a lot of $ and time to be committed. I would like to see it happen!

Like the layout, course needs some care though

1    12/20/2014   1/3/2015
Review By: dj3k
Pros: Interesting layout - good mixture and differences in elevations, distance, forehand, backhand shots.

Concrete tees
Cons: For a first time play it was a little difficult to navigate, signage to next hole could have been better.

Course looked like a course that didn't have a local club looking after it. Could have used someone picking up some trash.

Several baskets had rusted out chains. I'm guessing someone probably stole the original chains and then they were replaced by cheaper ones that were designed to take the weather.
Other Thoughts: Ok for a play, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make another trip back. Several of the holes had a creative layout that called for a variety of challenging shots.

1    5/15/2011   2/19/2010
Review By: eupher61
This review was updated on 9/28/2011
Pros: The cliff hole is very cool! A good variety of holes. Good use of land.
Cons: a little difficult to navigate if signage has been vandalized. A lot of other activities around the course.
Other Thoughts: Fun. As good as almost any in StL.