Collinsville, IL
Woodland Park Share
Uploaded By: fairweather_fan Hole #17 (Taken 10/2009)
Hole #17 Basket to Tees (steep downslope on camera side of basket)

< Prev 1 2 3
Older Course With Nice Terrain And Nasty, Skanky Water Hazards!

1    10/23/2015   11/3/2015
Pros: Woodland Park is a lovely park with a nice rolling terrain much of which slopes down to this, apparently stagnant, green looking body of water. I'm not sure if it's a very slow moving river, creek or what. The park is just a little bit on the shady, rundown side of things. Not quite scary bad, just not inviting clean and nice and well kept up.

The course has a nice big course map sign at the beginning. There is also one of the better on-line maps here at DGCR if you want to print it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to print one off. It would have saved me a lot of wasted time and steps.

There are three sets of tee pads. Only the Blues (Longer ones) are concrete. The reds and the Whites are natural. The Blue tees have nice metal signs but there is no signage anywhere else. I also ran into some helpful next tee signs/markers throughout the course. The baskets are older models with chains starting to rust. They didn't affect my game but I think we're all spoiled with courses with brand new bright, pretty baskets.

Playing by myself, navigation was tricky and I found myself wandering around quite a bit.

I think my favorite hole was # 14. It's 275' from the Reds with a valley to cross. It was a pretty little throw.

I ended up passing on both # 8 and # 9 with the basket set close to the nasty water. Not knowing the course, I didn't feel like chancing a disc in the soup on either of those holes.

Cons: I found this naked Barbie doll on # 7 wrapped seductively in tape. I'm not sure what she had been used for, but I had a really disturbing feeling about it. After depositing her in the nearest trash can, I feel I couldn't wash my hands enough times.

I would be much more of a fan of this course if the water was clean and not so nasty and scummy.

Old baskets with rusty chains.

Long walkouts after # 4 and # 6 were confusing.

Lack of signage on longer tees.

Overall sketchy feel of park.

Other Thoughts: I think I could grow to embrace this course if I played it a few more times. It really has a number of nice holes. Playing in a group would help, as would just figuring out how to layup to avoid the skanky water.

However, right now, playing the way it is, it's in need of some general upgrading. In the future, it could use, some better signage, concrete tee pads on the Blues, new baskets. That's a lot of $ and time to be committed. I would like to see it happen!

2-4    9/24/2015   10/12/2015
Review By: BUNKY314
Pros: Nice wooded, technical shots. Short runs for the most part. Scores well for the intermediate level player. Good overall design. Not too long to play 18 holes. Water comes into play which makes those holes interesting. Multiple tees and multiple pin placements. Pro pads are concrete
Cons: Hard to navigate. Chains are pretty rusted and dead. No concrete pads for short tees. Lots of fairway traffic from others in the park. Trash littered everywhere. Water in the creek and lakes are super nasty and stinky
Other Thoughts: Overall i like this course a lot. I tend to shoot low scores and there are a lot of good ace run holes that are a lot of fun. The holes with water i think are great. You want to run them but the water makes me nervous sometimes because I'm not going in that water. My buddys dog went in it and stunk the rest of the day. Its pretty bad. I would suggest to take a picture of the course map at the bathrooms by hole 1 the first time you play, and definitely take PLENTY of practice putts to get used to the chains. Iv had more than a handful missed putts hitting dead center chains. There have been arrows placed at pins pointing to the next hole so that helps a lot too. I give it a 3 overall. I think the designer just decided to put a couple holes' baskets behind a tree and said ok its a hole. That and the lack of course maintenance. Hardly any benches and a lot of trash.

Like the layout, course needs some care though

1    12/20/2014   1/3/2015
Review By: dj3k
Pros: Interesting layout - good mixture and differences in elevations, distance, forehand, backhand shots.

Concrete tees
Cons: For a first time play it was a little difficult to navigate, signage to next hole could have been better.

Course looked like a course that didn't have a local club looking after it. Could have used someone picking up some trash.

Several baskets had rusted out chains. I'm guessing someone probably stole the original chains and then they were replaced by cheaper ones that were designed to take the weather.
Other Thoughts: Ok for a play, but I wouldn't go out of my way to make another trip back. Several of the holes had a creative layout that called for a variety of challenging shots.

My first course ever played

5+    9/28/2014   10/13/2014
Review By: NKern
Pros: Well matured course.
Multiple Tee pads/pins keep the play here fresh.
Some nice elevation changes.
Concrete tee pads in pro placement.
Cons: Baskets are showing their age.
Pedestrian traffic.
Can get littered up from time to time.
Other Thoughts: This is the first course I ever played and where I honed my skills as a DG'er and met some great people in the process. I love it despite all of its flaws.

Sold Course

2-4    5/21/2013   11/21/2013
Review By: discdanny
Pros: The Pros Include:
-Concrete Pads
-Multiple Pads
-Multiple Basket Locations
-Lake/ Stream
-Shots over water
-Great mixture of shots throughout the course
-Awesome Old Trees
Cons: -Odd walks to some of the holes
-Sometimes there are some shady crowds loitering around.
-Possibility of hitting moving cars if you go OB on a hole
Other Thoughts: Pretty good course.. I haven't made it out to the area to play it enough

fun but confusing course

1    9/22/2013   9/27/2013
Review By: gmoney1984
Pros: 1. 3 Different sets of Tee pads
2. Can do long run ups on big tee pads
3. Good use of terrain
4. Well designed holes
5. Chance for aces on a couple of downhill shots

Cons: 1. tough to know where the next hole is at in several spots
2. bad course flow in general
3. chances to lose discs in water
Other Thoughts: Overall I liked this course but we spent about 20 minutes extra trying to find all the holes. Print out the map from the links/files section! I did not and paid for it!

Really Bad..

1    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: Tony
Pros: Nice elevations and good landscaping
Cons: Bee hives, bad signage dont have a clue where to go.. Did i mention getting stung by 3 bees hornets wasps along water at hole 3.. Quit at 9...not the greatest neighborhood either

Fun and Challenging

5+    8/11/2013   8/11/2013
Review By: Golden Tuna
Pros: Challenging - Well maintained - 3 tee pads - Multiple pin placements - great mix of shots - Large tee pads - Restrooms & Water fountains

Woodland Park is a great course that has something for players of all skill levels. With 3 different sets of tee pads, you can choose how difficult you want your round to be. The reds and whites are crushed limestone and beginner friendly The (longer) blue tee pads are concrete. When the pins are in their longer positions, the blue tee pads make this course championship caliber. There are also numerous "extreme" positions that will put your pride in check. The course is very scenic as well as it is spread across rolling hills and around the lake. The water holes present an extra challenge of risk vs reward and can easily be the difference between a good round or a bad one.
Cons: Flow - Tee signs only on shortest tees - Old baskets - Pedestrian traffic

There are a couple places where holes criss cross each other and it would be hard for a first timer to find their way around. Additionally, there are a couple of the blue tee pads that are "hidden" because they are in a place that make the hole completely different. It would be very difficult for a first timer to play the blues by themselves. Additionally, there are only tee signs on the (shortest) red tee pads so you don't really know your distances from the other pads. The baskets, while DGA Mach II's (I believe) are old and rusty. They don't necessarily hurt you putting/score, but with a few updates, like new baskets and tee signs, this course would easily rank a 4.5 or even 5. Lastly, there are a lot of people that like to sit in the middle of the fairways for a picnic lunch. Most times, if you make them aware, they'll move. But you do occasionally run into jerks that just won't budge.
Other Thoughts: The "cons" aside, if you know your way around and can judge distance pretty well, this is an awesome course. If you haven't played Woodland Park, you definitely should, but I'd recommend printing a map or coming out on a league day so you can lean on the locals for guidance. In regards to the pedestrian traffic, most people are nice, but you can't fix stupid, so sometimes you just have to play around them.

1    7/15/2013   7/15/2013
Review By: bschuff
Pros: -Feels like its a mix of different courses all in one.
-Great use of land and space.
-Beautiful trees and wild life.
-Has 3 different tee off spots for different skill levels.
-Easy to get to and right off I-70.
-Takes a certain degree of skill to curve around trees, lakes and ditches.
-The rolling hills and elevation is fantastic.
-A lot of birdie chances.
Cons: -Please please please print off a map of the course before going. Impossible to navagate and play without map.
-Some holes play just feet away from the lake making it easy to lose a disc.
-A lot of trash and glass on the course.
-The course is right on top of a lot of roads and playgrounds.
-Baskets are older and the chains are hard. Easy to bounce a disc off the chains and out even if its a perfect throw.
-Seems the course is hardly used and can use some up keep.
-The course isn't very fluid and sometimes have to walk long distances to play the next hole.
Other Thoughts: Overall this was a fun course and I will play it again. It felt a lot like JB except smaller and with water hazards. I would advise not playing later in the day or the weekend just because the playgrounds may be packed with kids and people making some of the holes difficult to play. Print a map out of the course before playing or you will be unable to find your way around.

1    2/20/2012   2/23/2012
Review By: TreeHate
Pros: This park is beautiful adding a challenge with water, hills, trees, and awesome scenery, IE ducks, geese, birds.
This park is very easy to find and easily accessible.
Cons: I cant believe this course has such a high rating.
I have never left a course in the middle of a game, but i did this one. I registered on this site just to review this course.
Beautiful park, easy to find, however the hole placement is a joke, it should be a 9 or 12 instead of 18. The park goers ignore players, (which there are a lot of) and the signs are mislabeled and in some cases missing or broken.
All the goals chains are rusted.

< Prev 1 2 3