Huntington, WV
Rotary Park Share
Uploaded By: Greck Hole #15

< Prev 1 2 3
Challenging Course Makes For A Nice Pit Stop.

1    8/14/2016   8/17/2016
Pros: With two courses to pick from here in the hills of West Virginia, players have choices to make. Supposedly, Rotary Park is a little less challenging than it's neighbor course, Indian Rock. The area here is typical West Virginia rugged and extremely hilly.

Rotary Park has nice concrete tee pads, older baskets and sub standard tee signs. They are very simple little metal signs with stick on tee signs over the metal. As you can expect, these stick-on signs don't last long in the weather or with the vandals.

There are lots of fun, challenging holes here. # 5 has a lovely, engineered tee pad and then the basket sits on a sloping hillside. # 6 is a pretty hole, 279' and from a raised tee pad. The course finishes with two fun downhill holes. # 18 is 300 plus feet down to a basket near some trees. And then the finishing hole, # 19, is 300' feet to a basket. There is one tree in your route that is a mando left. My drive managed to go through the very narrow Y of had tree branches.

Perhaps the biggest challenge here are the sloping fairways and treacherous basket placements. There are serious rollaway possibilities here. It can really mess with your mind when putting or on your approaches.
Cons: The signs could use some work. They're small, simple and a little difficult to read at times.

Some tee pads were a little shorter than I would have liked.

There are some erosion problems in a few places. Hiking this hilly course is quite a workout.

Other Thoughts: This is a nice, challenging course for even intermediate/advanced players but a total recreational duffer like myself, can play and enjoy it. There are lots of holes on treacherous hillsides. After all the hilly trekking, the last thing you need or want is a carom 60' down a steep hillside.

Solid course which is compatible with the game of many players. Try it! You'll see.

Review of Rotary Park DGC

2-4    7/9/2016   7/12/2016
Review By: 1234
Pros: Good mix of elevation, basket placements, length of fairways, park location, terrains, and beautiful scenery.
Cons: Park entrance lists restrooms and water as being located in park but you will not pass any on way to parking at the course or on the course.
Meaning bring liquids and use bathroom beforehand.
Would like to see better directions to next tee pads and most baskets are somewhat hard to find.
Terrain is extremely varied but for someone who cannot traverse this type of terrain you can skip these baskets and cherry pick easier holes.
Other Thoughts: Rotary Park Disc Golf Course is a nice outing for anyone wishing to enjoy a round of disc golf or a fine days outing. Centrally located to a major thoroughfare and many businesses Rotary Park is beautifully perched atop the city. The park provides a getaway of nature scenery not seen in the city of green hills, trees, and especially in the fall and winter, wonderful long views of mountainous terrain West Virginia is so known to provide.

Championship course that needs some TLC

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellent design.
Great mix of length, elevation, open/wooded holes.
Tons of risk/reward.
Plenty of roll away putt opportunities with basket placements.
Cons: Tee signs don't show anything but hole # and distance.
Most of the wooded holes are goat paths.
Storm damage hasn't been cleaned up for a while. Massive fallen tree on one of the holes covers the whole fairway.
Other Thoughts: I think it was hole 5 that was a massive shot slightly downhill with road OB to the right and basket on side of steep hill. I threw several drives cause it was so fun. A couple of shots hit the hill by the basket and rolled downhill, across the road. While retrieving my discs, I realized across the road is also a steep drop off in the woods and found 2 other discs along with mine. This hole must be a disc eater!

With some TLC, this course could easily equal Mt. Airy in Cincinnati.

Hike and shoot

1    5/2/2015   5/6/2015
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Concrete tees
2) Beautiful property
3) Course design
4) Elevation changes
Cons: 1) Tee signs
Other Thoughts: Scenery: 4/5
Difficulty v Fun factor (5/5 is best mix): 4/5
Tees: 4/5
Signage: 2.5/5
Navigation: 3/5
Course design: 4.5/5
_______________
Total/Average: 3.7/5

I played this course for the first time at the Tri-State Open. I played it from the long tees, so my review is only reflective of the longs.

This is a championship-level course that is located in the rolling hills of West Virginia. It is set on beautiful property, with a nice mix of open bomber-style holes and tight, wooded holes. I don't really have a whole lot of negative things to say about it. It's got it all and will test every shot you have. One thing of note: there are quite a few target locations that allow for roll-away putts/mid-range shots, so be aware of this when you try to go for that 40' putt when there's an 80' drop off right behind the target. This feature of the course racked my score up more than any other feature of the course.

My biggest complaint on the course are the tee signs. They are small and are plain. Some of them are damaged and you can't read them. Some of them don't seem to match up with the real distances of the holes.

I can't really comment on navigation because I played with a local and just followed him around from hole to hole. I could see it maybe being a bit confusing, so I would err on the side of caution and bring a map.

My total average for this course is a 3.7, but I'm rounding up to 4/5. I highly recommend this course from the longs if you are looking for some serious challenge and some serious fun. You better bring your A game. Unfortunately, I brought my C game. :( lol

Rotary Ate My Shorts!

1    6/22/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 19 holes with dual concrete tees, dual pin positions with Mach III baskets. Decent signage and navigation. Fantastic elevation changes throughout the course providing a great fun factor and watching your discs soar. I don't know if the sand trap/pit on hole 10 was intentional, but I liked that feature. Excellent variety of shots, you got some well defined tight wooded lines and wide open bombs and some in-between. Second course on site.
Cons: Tee signs showing some wear. Some poison ivy on the edges of the rough. Downed trees and trash in places. Plays close to walking path and park users. Only one loop of 18 holes back to parking lot. No bathroom or water. Hole 19 A basket position is ripe for crazy roll aways. I threw my putter on 19 and landed right next the basket, I turned around to pick up my bag, and I see my disc rolling down across the road and down toward hole 1 of Indian Rock another 60'. This area is steep! It's so steep I ripped my shorts trying to rock wall climb back up it after finding my putter.
Other Thoughts: Despite losing my shorts on hole 19 I had a blast playing the Rotary Park disc golf course! I really liked the variety of wooded vs open holes, awesome elevation changes, and basket positions. I highly recommend anyone within the vicinity to play this course!

Great course for all skill levels

5+    9/4/2014   9/5/2014
Review By: Trevorthedj
Pros: Well kept course
Great mix of open fields and wooded holes
Multiple pin locations
Good use of the land makes for fun and memorable holes
The scenery is extremely beautiful
Cons: The wooded holes can be a bit of a trudge around the end

Although most wooded areas near holes are easily accessible, you are so close that losing discs can be quite easy. Especially for beginners.

Good Variety

5+    2/13/2013   2/15/2013
Review By: Ed Cordle
Pros: Good change of pace from wide open fairways to tight woods and elevation changes. Concrete tee pads, Usually not very crowded. Two tee pads available for most holes.
Cons: Gets really muddy after heavy rains,
Other Thoughts: I've lived in this area all my life but just started playing DG in the last year. Really good use for this park and a great way to spend an afternoon!

I Love to Play in the Clouds

1    6/23/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: Am I in heaven or what. The views are quite an inspiration. The day I played I was literally in the clouds. Many of these holes are truly unique. It has the feeling of a great course. Many holes let you rip it good and let it fly. I love this kind of course, and this one is extra special. The elevation changes are just enough to make some perfect holes, sometimes subtle and almost always memory making.
Other Thoughts: The Huntington-Ashland area is a great area for disc golf. I love this place.

Worth a stop

1    4/9/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes built around the top of a hill in a city park. Baskets were all in good shape and there were concrete tee pads for each hole. Most holes had 2 tee locations for additional variety or difficulty.

The wooded holes on this course are designed well, and a pleasure to play. Nice tight, technical lines. There is also nice use of the elevation and hillsides. Instead of simply going up and down repeatedly, Indian Rock has several holes, 13-15, that play along the hillside. It add some risk to drives, and makes landing your drive or approach flat important. It was a nice change from many courses.

Variety could be considered a pro as there are also wide open shots in fields to balance out the technical wooded holes.
Cons: Signs at tee pads are pretty basic. They do not show any layout for the holes or basket positions. Not a huge issue except on a couple blind holes.

A few tee pads were either short or narrow.

By my count there are 11 holes that require straight shots with no line shaping at all. There is also 8 holes that are in wide open fields. Those 8 holes almost felt like fillers. None were exceptionally long either. Almost all of them could be easily reached by an advanced player.
Other Thoughts: While I really enjoyed the wooded holes on this course, the open holes really didn't offer much enjoyment. And since there were 8 of them that really hurts the overall course IMO. This would probably be a good place to learn the game though. The wooded holes are fairly tight, and require some decent placement with a putter or a mid. The open holes are not so long a newer player would get intimidated throwing them. I wouldn't make a special trip to play this course, but it would make a good place to learn the game, or to stop by on a road trip.

And either they changed the course or I completely missed the shot under the bridge. #3 was a wide open shot with woods to the right as I played it. It does look like there may be some alternate basket positions, so maybe the course layout changes from time to time.

Wooded, Hilly, Windy....Wonderful

1    10/15/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Land, couldn't be better
Multiple Tee Pads
Another Quality Course on Site
Every Hole is Unique
Doubles as a Great Nature Hike
Incredible fun factor
Cons: Poor Signage
Can get Windy
Look out for Pedestrians
Stay on your Lines or pay the Price
Other Thoughts: Located high atop some West Virginia foothills this disc golf land at its finest. Not only is the land it's built on insane but they used it perfectly. Nice mix of open and wooded with a great shot selection. Not necessarily big in hole distance but it's a nice hike up, down, and around large rolling hills and excellent views. Definitely nature based, this is the kinda course I love.

There are 2 courses on site when I arrived. They were unmarked so I just picked one since I didn't know which was which, I wish they had labeled it better. I really wish I had the time to play its sister course. I'm told it's even bigger and harder but I'll be back. They take great care of this course and It didn't take long for me to realize that this one was gonna be special.

I did have a problem with the signs. They list the distances but a lot of the holes are blind and a small map showing the pin direction would be very helpful. It's on a giant hilltop so wind can also be a factor. It also plays around several walking trails so keep an eye out for joggers and walkers.

The distances were just about perfect for someone with a better than average but not great skill level. It's very diverse, there are a few ace opportunity's and some chances to let a few rip. Most of sport some really fun elevation changes. Each one is different and there are probably 5-6 holes that are good enough to compete for the title of signature hole. Fun Factor is very high

Some of the holes you will need to stay accurate or end up in some thick brush at the bottom of a ravine. This was a challenge for me due to the wind.

Since there is another course on site that I'm told is just as good I would recommend this place for all skill levels. I would recommend it for locals and I would suggest it for a road trip from just about any distance. Good job guys, this one is one of my favorites

< Prev 1 2 3