Huntington, WV
Rotary Park Share
Uploaded By: wkelly42 Hole #2 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #2 Short Tee

Championship course that needs some TLC

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellent design.
Great mix of length, elevation, open/wooded holes.
Tons of risk/reward.
Plenty of roll away putt opportunities with basket placements.
Cons: Tee signs don't show anything but hole # and distance.
Most of the wooded holes are goat paths.
Storm damage hasn't been cleaned up for a while. Massive fallen tree on one of the holes covers the whole fairway.
Other Thoughts: I think it was hole 5 that was a massive shot slightly downhill with road OB to the right and basket on side of steep hill. I threw several drives cause it was so fun. A couple of shots hit the hill by the basket and rolled downhill, across the road. While retrieving my discs, I realized across the road is also a steep drop off in the woods and found 2 other discs along with mine. This hole must be a disc eater!

With some TLC, this course could easily equal Mt. Airy in Cincinnati.

Worth a stop

1    4/9/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes built around the top of a hill in a city park. Baskets were all in good shape and there were concrete tee pads for each hole. Most holes had 2 tee locations for additional variety or difficulty.

The wooded holes on this course are designed well, and a pleasure to play. Nice tight, technical lines. There is also nice use of the elevation and hillsides. Instead of simply going up and down repeatedly, Indian Rock has several holes, 13-15, that play along the hillside. It add some risk to drives, and makes landing your drive or approach flat important. It was a nice change from many courses.

Variety could be considered a pro as there are also wide open shots in fields to balance out the technical wooded holes.
Cons: Signs at tee pads are pretty basic. They do not show any layout for the holes or basket positions. Not a huge issue except on a couple blind holes.

A few tee pads were either short or narrow.

By my count there are 11 holes that require straight shots with no line shaping at all. There is also 8 holes that are in wide open fields. Those 8 holes almost felt like fillers. None were exceptionally long either. Almost all of them could be easily reached by an advanced player.
Other Thoughts: While I really enjoyed the wooded holes on this course, the open holes really didn't offer much enjoyment. And since there were 8 of them that really hurts the overall course IMO. This would probably be a good place to learn the game though. The wooded holes are fairly tight, and require some decent placement with a putter or a mid. The open holes are not so long a newer player would get intimidated throwing them. I wouldn't make a special trip to play this course, but it would make a good place to learn the game, or to stop by on a road trip.

And either they changed the course or I completely missed the shot under the bridge. #3 was a wide open shot with woods to the right as I played it. It does look like there may be some alternate basket positions, so maybe the course layout changes from time to time.

2nd Round

1    8/23/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: ABCount
Pros: ***Keep in mind, I am new to this sport and have only played three different courses***

I love the idea of two different tees. Being a beginner, I played the short tees. There is a lot of variety on the course--Some holes in the wide open, while others in the woods with tight fairways.
Cons: The signage is very poor. The elevation changes are severe...I was physically tired after my round (albeit, in 90+ degree weather).
Other Thoughts: I really want to like this course--After I gain more experience, I think that I'll either love it or hate it. As a "newbie," I found it challenging, so I am anxious to play it sister course that's rated for "experts."