Huntington, WV
Rotary Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #12 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #12 Pro Tee Sign

1 2 3 Next >
 Love the hills

1    5/23/2008   9/5/2008
Review By: Olorin
Pros: I only played the short tees and the baskets were mostly in the shorter A position with 4 holes in the B layout, so my comments mostly reflect this layout.

Designed by former World champion Johnny Sias, this is a very enjoyable course with great variety! With 2 sets of tee pads and 2 basket positions there are 4 layouts that vary from 4227 to 6564 ft, so there are suitable challenges for many skill levels. As one would hope for a West Virginia course there were elevation changes on almost every hole, and some were quite dramatic (e.g. downhill drops of 45, 50, and 35 ft.). Be prepared for hiking some ups and downs. With many scenic hills, woods, grass, and old growth hard wood trees it's a very pretty course. There's also great terrain variety with some holes in the woods, some open crush shots over manicured grass fairways, and some with a mixture of trees and green grass (7 Woods/ 4 Open/ 7 Mixed). The well mowed grass on the more open holes have the feel of a traditional golf course. Once I found the first tee I had no real problems navigating the course. The local players are extremely friendly; one of the club leaders even got his friend to give me a commemorative disc!
Cons: Not much to mention…
It would help to have a marker for the current basket position to show if the basket is in the A or B layout.
The layout I played could use a little more fairway shape variety since most were straight and only one was a dogleg left (13 St/ 1 Lt/ 4 R)
Other Thoughts: Course Level: The Short A layout is borderline Red or White level. It's an easy White or difficult Red level, but I called it White. (Most suitable for Intermediate players rated 875-925.)
The hole lengths from the Short tees were on the short side for White level players, but it would be a good challenge for Red level players. Also, the length variety was lower than average with the majority of holes in the 200-299 ft. range (4<199/ 12 of 200-299/ 2<399).
I liked the back 9 greens better than the front because the back nine has more holes in the woods.
The tee signs are adequate but basic, the tees are concrete, and the Mach II baskets are good but getting just a little old. The online map is also sufficient but average.

You be the judge
My favorite hole is number 2-- A really fun, straight, tree lined corridor with a steep downhill elevation drop of 45 ft makes what I think of as a quintessential WV hole!

If you have a chance I recommend that you play this course!

NOTE: Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my reviews at http://sports.groups.yahoo.co...ourseReviews/

Great Course

2/26/2008   2/26/2008
Review By: tenWatts
This review was updated on 3/3/2008
Pros: This is a terrific course. The last time I played it, it was a 19 hole course but I've heard that they are adding atleast nine holes to the course. The original 19 that I played is perfect by design. Multiple tee pads and pin placements on EVERY hole, a terrific combination of left to right and right to left shots. Long shots, wooded shots, tons of elevation, flat ground...you'll find it ALL on this course. This course was designed by former World Champion Johnny Sias! The locals are great too!
Cons: I wouldn't call it a con but the ammount of elevation may be tough for some. There are a FEW holes that are straight up and down.

1 2 3 Next >