Huntington, WV
Rotary Park Share
Uploaded By: JMONEY Hole #8 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #8 Pro Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Championship course that needs some TLC

1    5/10/2015   5/17/2015
Review By: GMcAtee
Pros: Excellent design.
Great mix of length, elevation, open/wooded holes.
Tons of risk/reward.
Plenty of roll away putt opportunities with basket placements.
Cons: Tee signs don't show anything but hole # and distance.
Most of the wooded holes are goat paths.
Storm damage hasn't been cleaned up for a while. Massive fallen tree on one of the holes covers the whole fairway.
Other Thoughts: I think it was hole 5 that was a massive shot slightly downhill with road OB to the right and basket on side of steep hill. I threw several drives cause it was so fun. A couple of shots hit the hill by the basket and rolled downhill, across the road. While retrieving my discs, I realized across the road is also a steep drop off in the woods and found 2 other discs along with mine. This hole must be a disc eater!

With some TLC, this course could easily equal Mt. Airy in Cincinnati.

Hike and shoot

1    5/2/2015   5/6/2015
Review By: Derek B
Pros: 1) Concrete tees
2) Beautiful property
3) Course design
4) Elevation changes
Cons: 1) Tee signs
Other Thoughts: Scenery: 4/5
Difficulty v Fun factor (5/5 is best mix): 4/5
Tees: 4/5
Signage: 2.5/5
Navigation: 3/5
Course design: 4.5/5
Total/Average: 3.7/5

I played this course for the first time at the Tri-State Open. I played it from the long tees, so my review is only reflective of the longs.

This is a championship-level course that is located in the rolling hills of West Virginia. It is set on beautiful property, with a nice mix of open bomber-style holes and tight, wooded holes. I don't really have a whole lot of negative things to say about it. It's got it all and will test every shot you have. One thing of note: there are quite a few target locations that allow for roll-away putts/mid-range shots, so be aware of this when you try to go for that 40' putt when there's an 80' drop off right behind the target. This feature of the course racked my score up more than any other feature of the course.

My biggest complaint on the course are the tee signs. They are small and are plain. Some of them are damaged and you can't read them. Some of them don't seem to match up with the real distances of the holes.

I can't really comment on navigation because I played with a local and just followed him around from hole to hole. I could see it maybe being a bit confusing, so I would err on the side of caution and bring a map.

My total average for this course is a 3.7, but I'm rounding up to 4/5. I highly recommend this course from the longs if you are looking for some serious challenge and some serious fun. You better bring your A game. Unfortunately, I brought my C game. :( lol

Rotary Ate My Shorts!

1    6/22/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 19 holes with dual concrete tees, dual pin positions with Mach III baskets. Decent signage and navigation. Fantastic elevation changes throughout the course providing a great fun factor and watching your discs soar. I don't know if the sand trap/pit on hole 10 was intentional, but I liked that feature. Excellent variety of shots, you got some well defined tight wooded lines and wide open bombs and some in-between. Second course on site.
Cons: Tee signs showing some wear. Some poison ivy on the edges of the rough. Downed trees and trash in places. Plays close to walking path and park users. Only one loop of 18 holes back to parking lot. No bathroom or water. Hole 19 A basket position is ripe for crazy roll aways. I threw my putter on 19 and landed right next the basket, I turned around to pick up my bag, and I see my disc rolling down across the road and down toward hole 1 of Indian Rock another 60'. This area is steep! It's so steep I ripped my shorts trying to rock wall climb back up it after finding my putter.
Other Thoughts: Despite losing my shorts on hole 19 I had a blast playing the Rotary Park disc golf course! I really liked the variety of wooded vs open holes, awesome elevation changes, and basket positions. I highly recommend anyone within the vicinity to play this course!

Great course for all skill levels

5+    9/4/2014   9/5/2014
Review By: Trevorthedj
Pros: Well kept course
Great mix of open fields and wooded holes
Multiple pin locations
Good use of the land makes for fun and memorable holes
The scenery is extremely beautiful
Cons: The wooded holes can be a bit of a trudge around the end

Although most wooded areas near holes are easily accessible, you are so close that losing discs can be quite easy. Especially for beginners.

Good Variety

5+    2/13/2013   2/15/2013
Review By: Ed Cordle
Pros: Good change of pace from wide open fairways to tight woods and elevation changes. Concrete tee pads, Usually not very crowded. Two tee pads available for most holes.
Cons: Gets really muddy after heavy rains,
Other Thoughts: I've lived in this area all my life but just started playing DG in the last year. Really good use for this park and a great way to spend an afternoon!

I Love to Play in the Clouds

1    6/23/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: Am I in heaven or what. The views are quite an inspiration. The day I played I was literally in the clouds. Many of these holes are truly unique. It has the feeling of a great course. Many holes let you rip it good and let it fly. I love this kind of course, and this one is extra special. The elevation changes are just enough to make some perfect holes, sometimes subtle and almost always memory making.
Other Thoughts: The Huntington-Ashland area is a great area for disc golf. I love this place.

Worth a stop

1    4/9/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes built around the top of a hill in a city park. Baskets were all in good shape and there were concrete tee pads for each hole. Most holes had 2 tee locations for additional variety or difficulty.

The wooded holes on this course are designed well, and a pleasure to play. Nice tight, technical lines. There is also nice use of the elevation and hillsides. Instead of simply going up and down repeatedly, Indian Rock has several holes, 13-15, that play along the hillside. It add some risk to drives, and makes landing your drive or approach flat important. It was a nice change from many courses.

Variety could be considered a pro as there are also wide open shots in fields to balance out the technical wooded holes.
Cons: Signs at tee pads are pretty basic. They do not show any layout for the holes or basket positions. Not a huge issue except on a couple blind holes.

A few tee pads were either short or narrow.

By my count there are 11 holes that require straight shots with no line shaping at all. There is also 8 holes that are in wide open fields. Those 8 holes almost felt like fillers. None were exceptionally long either. Almost all of them could be easily reached by an advanced player.
Other Thoughts: While I really enjoyed the wooded holes on this course, the open holes really didn't offer much enjoyment. And since there were 8 of them that really hurts the overall course IMO. This would probably be a good place to learn the game though. The wooded holes are fairly tight, and require some decent placement with a putter or a mid. The open holes are not so long a newer player would get intimidated throwing them. I wouldn't make a special trip to play this course, but it would make a good place to learn the game, or to stop by on a road trip.

And either they changed the course or I completely missed the shot under the bridge. #3 was a wide open shot with woods to the right as I played it. It does look like there may be some alternate basket positions, so maybe the course layout changes from time to time.

Wooded, Hilly, Windy....Wonderful

1    10/15/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Land, couldn't be better
Multiple Tee Pads
Another Quality Course on Site
Every Hole is Unique
Doubles as a Great Nature Hike
Incredible fun factor
Cons: Poor Signage
Can get Windy
Look out for Pedestrians
Stay on your Lines or pay the Price
Other Thoughts: Located high atop some West Virginia foothills this disc golf land at its finest. Not only is the land it's built on insane but they used it perfectly. Nice mix of open and wooded with a great shot selection. Not necessarily big in hole distance but it's a nice hike up, down, and around large rolling hills and excellent views. Definitely nature based, this is the kinda course I love.

There are 2 courses on site when I arrived. They were unmarked so I just picked one since I didn't know which was which, I wish they had labeled it better. I really wish I had the time to play its sister course. I'm told it's even bigger and harder but I'll be back. They take great care of this course and It didn't take long for me to realize that this one was gonna be special.

I did have a problem with the signs. They list the distances but a lot of the holes are blind and a small map showing the pin direction would be very helpful. It's on a giant hilltop so wind can also be a factor. It also plays around several walking trails so keep an eye out for joggers and walkers.

The distances were just about perfect for someone with a better than average but not great skill level. It's very diverse, there are a few ace opportunity's and some chances to let a few rip. Most of sport some really fun elevation changes. Each one is different and there are probably 5-6 holes that are good enough to compete for the title of signature hole. Fun Factor is very high

Some of the holes you will need to stay accurate or end up in some thick brush at the bottom of a ravine. This was a challenge for me due to the wind.

Since there is another course on site that I'm told is just as good I would recommend this place for all skill levels. I would recommend it for locals and I would suggest it for a road trip from just about any distance. Good job guys, this one is one of my favorites

2nd Round

1    8/23/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: ABCount
Pros: ***Keep in mind, I am new to this sport and have only played three different courses***

I love the idea of two different tees. Being a beginner, I played the short tees. There is a lot of variety on the course--Some holes in the wide open, while others in the woods with tight fairways.
Cons: The signage is very poor. The elevation changes are severe...I was physically tired after my round (albeit, in 90+ degree weather).
Other Thoughts: I really want to like this course--After I gain more experience, I think that I'll either love it or hate it. As a "newbie," I found it challenging, so I am anxious to play it sister course that's rated for "experts."

2-4    8/12/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: trumpetman4God
Pros: A great Par 3 Course
Good variety of open holes, wooded holes, and elevation chanes
Cons: not enough bathrooms or water fountains
Other Thoughts: Two others and I got stung by something near the basket on hole 14. It stung them multiple times and me once.

< Prev 1 2 3