Huntington, WV
Rotary Park Share
Uploaded By: wkelly42 Hole #10 (Taken 3/2011)
Hole #10 Short Tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Rotary Ate My Shorts!

1    6/22/2014   11/6/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
Pros: 19 holes with dual concrete tees, dual pin positions with Mach III baskets. Decent signage and navigation. Fantastic elevation changes throughout the course providing a great fun factor and watching your discs soar. I don't know if the sand trap/pit on hole 10 was intentional, but I liked that feature. Excellent variety of shots, you got some well defined tight wooded lines and wide open bombs and some in-between. Second course on site.
Cons: Tee signs showing some wear. Some poison ivy on the edges of the rough. Downed trees and trash in places. Plays close to walking path and park users. Only one loop of 18 holes back to parking lot. No bathroom or water. Hole 19 A basket position is ripe for crazy roll aways. I threw my putter on 19 and landed right next the basket, I turned around to pick up my bag, and I see my disc rolling down across the road and down toward hole 1 of Indian Rock another 60'. This area is steep! It's so steep I ripped my shorts trying to rock wall climb back up it after finding my putter.
Other Thoughts: Despite losing my shorts on hole 19 I had a blast playing the Rotary Park disc golf course! I really liked the variety of wooded vs open holes, awesome elevation changes, and basket positions. I highly recommend anyone within the vicinity to play this course!

Great course for all skill levels

5+    9/4/2014   9/5/2014
Review By: Trevorthedj
Pros: Well kept course
Great mix of open fields and wooded holes
Multiple pin locations
Good use of the land makes for fun and memorable holes
The scenery is extremely beautiful
Cons: The wooded holes can be a bit of a trudge around the end

Although most wooded areas near holes are easily accessible, you are so close that losing discs can be quite easy. Especially for beginners.

Good Variety

5+    2/13/2013   2/15/2013
Review By: Ed Cordle
Pros: Good change of pace from wide open fairways to tight woods and elevation changes. Concrete tee pads, Usually not very crowded. Two tee pads available for most holes.
Cons: Gets really muddy after heavy rains,
Other Thoughts: I've lived in this area all my life but just started playing DG in the last year. Really good use for this park and a great way to spend an afternoon!

I Love to Play in the Clouds

1    6/23/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Disc Golf Dave
Pros: Am I in heaven or what. The views are quite an inspiration. The day I played I was literally in the clouds. Many of these holes are truly unique. It has the feeling of a great course. Many holes let you rip it good and let it fly. I love this kind of course, and this one is extra special. The elevation changes are just enough to make some perfect holes, sometimes subtle and almost always memory making.
Other Thoughts: The Huntington-Ashland area is a great area for disc golf. I love this place.

Worth a stop

1    4/9/2012   4/9/2012
Review By: sloppydisc
Pros: 18 holes built around the top of a hill in a city park. Baskets were all in good shape and there were concrete tee pads for each hole. Most holes had 2 tee locations for additional variety or difficulty.

The wooded holes on this course are designed well, and a pleasure to play. Nice tight, technical lines. There is also nice use of the elevation and hillsides. Instead of simply going up and down repeatedly, Indian Rock has several holes, 13-15, that play along the hillside. It add some risk to drives, and makes landing your drive or approach flat important. It was a nice change from many courses.

Variety could be considered a pro as there are also wide open shots in fields to balance out the technical wooded holes.
Cons: Signs at tee pads are pretty basic. They do not show any layout for the holes or basket positions. Not a huge issue except on a couple blind holes.

A few tee pads were either short or narrow.

By my count there are 11 holes that require straight shots with no line shaping at all. There is also 8 holes that are in wide open fields. Those 8 holes almost felt like fillers. None were exceptionally long either. Almost all of them could be easily reached by an advanced player.
Other Thoughts: While I really enjoyed the wooded holes on this course, the open holes really didn't offer much enjoyment. And since there were 8 of them that really hurts the overall course IMO. This would probably be a good place to learn the game though. The wooded holes are fairly tight, and require some decent placement with a putter or a mid. The open holes are not so long a newer player would get intimidated throwing them. I wouldn't make a special trip to play this course, but it would make a good place to learn the game, or to stop by on a road trip.

And either they changed the course or I completely missed the shot under the bridge. #3 was a wide open shot with woods to the right as I played it. It does look like there may be some alternate basket positions, so maybe the course layout changes from time to time.

Wooded, Hilly, Windy....Wonderful

1    10/15/2011   10/16/2011
Review By: Bikinimower
Pros: The Land, couldn't be better
Multiple Tee Pads
Another Quality Course on Site
Every Hole is Unique
Doubles as a Great Nature Hike
Incredible fun factor
Cons: Poor Signage
Can get Windy
Look out for Pedestrians
Stay on your Lines or pay the Price
Other Thoughts: Located high atop some West Virginia foothills this disc golf land at its finest. Not only is the land it's built on insane but they used it perfectly. Nice mix of open and wooded with a great shot selection. Not necessarily big in hole distance but it's a nice hike up, down, and around large rolling hills and excellent views. Definitely nature based, this is the kinda course I love.

There are 2 courses on site when I arrived. They were unmarked so I just picked one since I didn't know which was which, I wish they had labeled it better. I really wish I had the time to play its sister course. I'm told it's even bigger and harder but I'll be back. They take great care of this course and It didn't take long for me to realize that this one was gonna be special.

I did have a problem with the signs. They list the distances but a lot of the holes are blind and a small map showing the pin direction would be very helpful. It's on a giant hilltop so wind can also be a factor. It also plays around several walking trails so keep an eye out for joggers and walkers.

The distances were just about perfect for someone with a better than average but not great skill level. It's very diverse, there are a few ace opportunity's and some chances to let a few rip. Most of sport some really fun elevation changes. Each one is different and there are probably 5-6 holes that are good enough to compete for the title of signature hole. Fun Factor is very high

Some of the holes you will need to stay accurate or end up in some thick brush at the bottom of a ravine. This was a challenge for me due to the wind.

Since there is another course on site that I'm told is just as good I would recommend this place for all skill levels. I would recommend it for locals and I would suggest it for a road trip from just about any distance. Good job guys, this one is one of my favorites

2nd Round

1    8/23/2011   9/2/2011
Review By: ABCount
Pros: ***Keep in mind, I am new to this sport and have only played three different courses***

I love the idea of two different tees. Being a beginner, I played the short tees. There is a lot of variety on the course--Some holes in the wide open, while others in the woods with tight fairways.
Cons: The signage is very poor. The elevation changes are severe...I was physically tired after my round (albeit, in 90+ degree weather).
Other Thoughts: I really want to like this course--After I gain more experience, I think that I'll either love it or hate it. As a "newbie," I found it challenging, so I am anxious to play it sister course that's rated for "experts."

2-4    8/12/2011   8/18/2011
Review By: trumpetman4God
Pros: A great Par 3 Course
Good variety of open holes, wooded holes, and elevation chanes
Cons: not enough bathrooms or water fountains
Other Thoughts: Two others and I got stung by something near the basket on hole 14. It stung them multiple times and me once.

Great Course

1    10/13/2010   10/13/2010
Review By: cccp00a
Pros:
* Great 18 (19) hole course set in a park with another 18 hole course. Park has a number of amentities that can be used for the whole family. A few bathroom facilities around the park.
* Variety of distances. A few ace opportunities and a few opportunities to let a driver fly. No hole is too daunting to a amateur or new player.
* Nice concrete tee pads (could be a little larger)
* Two basket positions and two tee pads for each hole
* Signs at tee pads showing distance
* Great variety of holes. Wooded shots, opens shots, shots from open to woods and woods to open. Left hand turns and right hand turns.
* Nice scenery through the woods and not much under brush
* Benches at many of the holes and trash cans on a some of the holes
* Good flow from hole to hole
* Good use of elevation, while not terribly phyiscally demanding, does give a good work out.
Cons:
*Although signs show distance it would be nice if they showed pin placement and direction from tee pad. (As a first time player we needed to walk up the fairways to scout out the pin placement)
* Although most tee pads were easy to find there are a few holes that a sign or arrow would have been helpful.
* A few holes we needed to watch for walkers/joggers
* Baskets seemed a little old and a few were missing the marker on top.
* Some of the walks up and down the hills were a little slippery (because of the amount of leaves/acorns on the ground)
* Not necessarily a negative, but the baskets were in the long position and many were right at steep banks. May force you to lay up instead of going for a shot; for fear of going down the bank.
* Few of the tee pads were built up several inches and you can slip off if not careful.
Other Thoughts: Was in Huntington on a business trip and had the opportunity to play Rotary and travel to Ashland, KY to play Armco Park. Enjoyed them both but probably liked Rotary a little better. The wooded holes at Rotary had some better defined fairways than Armco.
If you are passing through the area this is a place you will want to try out. Although there are many holes that stand out, hole #2 was our favorite - nice down hill shot into a not-too-dense area of tree to the basket in the back of the wooded area

REALLY Fun Course

1    9/30/2010   9/30/2010
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: This course is set in a beautiful park. Plenty of amenities around the course to keep the kids entertained if they're not disc golfing with you. Nice practice area (large fairway and basket right next to the parking lot).
This is the first course I've played with this many open holes. It was fun to be able to just let a drive rip off the tee, knowing that even if I totally mess up, I won't lose the disc (griplocked one on #16 that would have really been embarrassing if someone had seen it).
The layout is pretty easy to follow, with an exception that I'll note below. There are two concrete tees on each hole, adding to the re-playability of the course.
The course wasn't crowded when I played - in fact, the only person I ran into was the guy on the lawnmower at the 4th hole. As I finished, there were some people starting out, but other than that I had the course to myself. Plenty of benches, and there were bag holders on many holes.
Cons: You have to backtrack on 14 to get to 15 -- a sign would be useful there (or a map, which I left home). The hole signs are very basic; I'd have appreciated a hole diagram or something on several holes where I couldn't see the basket from the tee. Trashcans would be a welcome addition, as would some water jugs. The open holes can get a bit repetitive, but since I hadn't really played an open course before, it didn't really bother me that much.
Other Thoughts: I had a blast at this course. It's fun, challenging, and in great shape. I wish I lived close -- maybe I'll move!!

< Prev 1 2 3