Lexington, KY
Veterans Park DGC Share
Uploaded By: Atvizory2000 Hole #13 (Taken 2/2014)

Bring your A game

1    6/16/2012   6/16/2012
Review By: Oldmanplayin
Pros: A great place to play IF you can shoot well. Clean, benches, garbage cans and good baskets.
Cons: Main thing is navigation, with or without a map it is tough. The parks department needs to put up directional signs to the next T!!!! It would make this course much easier to play. If all the fairways were as clear and clean as hole #1 this would be a tremendous course. I would probably give it a 4+. I do not mind tight lines but no significant fairway and just shootin' through the trees is not the game I like. It seems there are alot of holes that you're just hoping to make it anywhere near the basket.
Other Thoughts: It was a fun course to play but bring your beat in disks and leave the good ones at home I hate destroying one my go-to drivers tossing through randomly scattered trees, If I shoot out of the fairway - my fault!

Challenging course if you can find your way around it

5+    1/22/2011   1/23/2011
Review By: weeman
Pros: Veterans provides a stern challenge of technical disc golfing abilities. The mostly wooded course covers a variety of distances and shot shapes to test all players. The tees are adequate and still grippy when wet (played there with a lot of snow on the ground, so this was important). The baskets are mostly in good condition with several holes having multiple pin placements. The disc golf course is away from most other activities aside from two open holes near a walking path and two holes somewhat adjacent to a baseball field. The layout utilizes the existing elevation excellently with a variety of shots; uphill, downhill and across. Even with the elevation there are still multiple holes that are very flat so you don't get that feeling of repetitiveness throughout a round. The wooded holes all have well defined fairways with a spare tree or two here and there to add a little luck in reaching the green unscathed. The layout makes good use of the creeks that come through the park with the wooded number 6 being the best example. It plays as a downhill turnover (for RHBH) with one creek along the left that joins in with a larger creek behind the basket to make the green on a penisula. The rough is thick enough to where you definitely don't want to go in there. It can and will cost you a stroke or two. That can also be used as a con, depending on your view point.
Cons: For first timers out there, be sure to have someone who has played there before with you. Navigation is almost next to impossible. I've played there half a dozen times and still get lost. One of the other biggest safety issues is after number 9, one of the paths away from the basket leads you directly across number 17's fairway. The other path leads you away from this danger spot but you are another 100 feet from the next tee pad after exiting the woods which is already a very long walk in itself. There are several long walks throughout the course, not just at the turn either. Though the tee pads are good and grippy, they are small with several not providing any space for a run up. With recent work in the park, several of the baskets have been moved but not properly placed in the ground. Several of the baskets are either leaning, too short to the ground, too tall or any combination of the problems. The rough is thick enough to where you definitely don't want to go in there and it can and will cost you a stroke or two. That can also be used as a pro, depending on your viewpoint.
Other Thoughts: Veterans is a very fun course to play if you like tight woods and have an ever varying shot selection. Solid driving can see you looking at a birdie opportunity on most holes and bad driving can leave you scrambling for par. The open holes can give you a little breather before being thrown back into the woods for more fun. With only a few non-difficult changes to the course (navigation help and better basket care), Veterans can be a true championship caliber course.

Poor Man's Idlewild

1    7/17/2008   1/7/2011
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Mostly this is a technical wooded course that plays down clearly defined fairways. There is a good mix of straight, left, right, up, down, and creeks in play. There are a few open holes to give you a break and to add some length (although these are kind of boring compared to the wooded holes since there were little to no obstacles.) There are several other really good and unique holes on this course. One of my favorite holes was one where you had to play across the creek to a peninsula green (this particular hole especially, and a few others, reminded me of holes that might be found at Idlewild!)
Cons: Mainly one BIG one- Navigation, or rather, the near impossibility of it. First, we had trouble finding the entrance to the park- my GPS took us to a small section on the back side with no access to the rest of it, so get good directions before you come. Once we got into the park there was a softball tournament going on, thankfully the person in charge believed us that we were there to play disc golf and did not make us pay the softball parking fee! All this was just a foreshadowing of things to come. After walking a long ways from where we were forced to park, we saw some of the course, but could not find tee #1. Thankfully a local tournament was gathering and some of them pointed us to a path through the woods and let us tee off before they got started. Unfortunately, there were several more times where we had to do a serious search to find the next hole. Sometimes there were multiple paths leading away from the basket, and often times none of the paths led you to a tee. You would emerge from the woods and see nothing but a walking trail. At one point for us, and there are several stories told in other reviews like this, where we had non-disc golfers helping us find the next hole!!!
Other Thoughts: As others have said, this is hard course to rate. (It has been given every rating from a 1.0-5.0!) Thinking back on it I really enjoyed most of the holes here, however, I was unable to enjoy the round fully because of the frustration of spending so much time trying to find the next hole. A big part of my rating is that I am reviewing it as a person who was playing the course for the first time, with no guides and navigational aids. However, I know this is a well-respected course by the locals. I recommend this course if you are in the area, but try to meet up with a local to help show you around.

great course/poorly marked

1    3/28/2010   4/30/2010
Review By: tallpaul
Pros: If I were rating this course as a local; or, purely from a design stand point, this one may get as high as a 4 rating. Quite challenging, primarily wooded fairways; with length required. Course hit me so hard; I quit keeping score and simply enjoyed our wonderful hosts/guides, and the wonderful setting.
Creek in play on a few holes (water was high, due to spring run off; but, still no chance of losing plastic). More scenic than penalizing.
The GAUNTLET (holes 13-16) is a wonderful section of play. (13 and 14 get pulled for the winter though) #14 a very nice blind pin to island/peninsula green. Just prior to green is steep slope to pin; running to creek. Creek is not very deep; but water o.b. definitely in play.
Beautiful daffodils blooming on #13 and 14.
Cons: Old tee signs with no info. No directional markers, and 3 fairly good walks between holes. These factors would make for serious navigational issues. (We were fortunate enough to have Drew Smith and Gerry Hobbins give us the tour. They were wonderful guides and good players; and made for a very good experience; but, without them, we would probably have been wandering quite a bit.)
Concrete tees, but very short.
Other Thoughts: When making contacts and gathering info for this journey; we received input from as far as 2+ hours away that we did not want to miss Veterans. This input was very correct. So, players from a wide range, realize the quality represented here.
The club leaders that we were fortunate enough to play with are doing their best to rectify the issues regarding navigation. They have forged a recent understanding with the park; and were working with them to incorporate a bike trail in conjunction with the course. Once these issues are settled a bit, signs and other navigation amenities can be corrected. We purchased 3 tourney discs from them in an effort to contribute to this endeavor. I wish them luck and expect progress in the very near future. When these issues are resolved, this is become a 3.5 or perhaps even a four rated course. Score wise; this one was tougher than Charlie Vettner. Not as scenic; but, even more secluded.

Challenging, Bring a Map

1    8/11/2009   8/12/2009
Review By: tdortch
Pros: As most have said, this course is pretty challenging. Very tight shots and unforgiving fairways. This is the kind of course that will make you a better player if you can get out there and take it on. I enjoyed many of the holes. Even the ones in the open had a blind shot, or the basket would be tucked behind a group of small trees or something. If I remember correctly, only one of the holes is just a straight shot (#8 or 9). I was out there on a Tuesday at around 6 pm and there was hardly anyone playing the course.
Cons: The signs, if you can call them that, are terrible. And, with the way the course is laid out, that makes for a difficult round - you are either wondering where the next hole is or walking the fairway to find the basket. There are arrows on some of the baskets, and this helps somewhat, but there are also hiking trails all over the place and you could very easily end up on the wrong one and have to backtrack. I was playing with a new player and he was having a very hard time w/this course. I would not recommend it for people wanting to learn the game. The tee pads are OK for the most part, but mostly a little short for my tastes. There is no map at the course, so if you are coming out, get one beforehand. We never found 18.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I would play this course again, but I would prefer to play with some locals or at a club event.

My favorite so far

5+    9/23/2008   9/24/2008
Review By: adam423
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: A challenging yet fun, mostly wooded course with some open holes thrown in for the claustrophobic type. There are some evil water hazards on a few of the front 9, complete with trees to deflect your shots*. The course requires a variety of shot types and is kept well trimmed up. Restrooms are located at the start of the course, and trash cans are present on most every hole.
Cons: Signage, or lack thereof, makes finding holes 10 and 16 especially difficult**. Also, the path I take from 9 to 10 crosses fairway 17***. Unless you have incredible accuracy, a few of the holes might seem a bit pinballish, but only on short holes where you can use a putter, so you're not going to be losing a driver when it flies 100 feet into the woods.
Other Thoughts: A nice touch on some holes were the benches made from logs or tree stumps.

Its not a great beginner course as it is fairly difficult and you can lose some discs if you don't know what you're doing. You will definitely be punished for shots that miss the mark. I would highly suggest taking beginners/first-timers to Shilito first.

I could easily give this course a 4 if the tee signs were fixed.

*Water is on holes 3, 6 and 8.

**To find 10, walk out of the woods, turn left on the walking path. Its around the corner at the bottom of a hill. For 16, go across the walking path and follow along the creek. Its a pretty good distance back through there, so keep going and you'll find it, I promise.

***I'm not sure if this is the official path, the satellite map shows a different way. It may have started as a shortcut, but that's the only way I know how to go. It has never been a problem for me because the course is always nearly empty, but be careful just in case.

Challenging

1    8/10/2008   8/16/2008
Review By: jeffro
Pros: Very challenging. A nice mix of wooded and open terrain. Also has water hazard on a couple holes. Good course for more experienced players.
Cons: Getting from hole to hole is kind of like a scavenger hunt. Other players have hand written clues to find your next hole on trees and park benches etc. Half the fun was trying to find the next hole. Definitely needs better signage.

Nice Course

7/17/2008   7/20/2008
Review By: ZMan44
Pros: Tee pads, baskets, and fairways were all in good shape. There were short holes, long holes, hyzer, anhyzer, tomahawk, you name it. The design was strong.
Cons: As others have posted there needs to be some better work done in the navigation department. I didn't see any course maps, and they definitely are needed.
Other Thoughts: This is the honest story of how we found hole 16...we emerged from the woods and wondered down a paved trail....nothing....so we wondered on the trail in the other direction...nothing. My buddy yells at the top of his lungs "Where are you number 16?!" About 30 seconds later a lady jogging comes down the hill and says "were you guys looking for number 16? I don't know what it is but there is a 16 painted on a trash can back that way. Thats the only way we found it. This tells me that some work needs to be done.

7/3/2008   7/3/2008
Review By: jazz
Pros: A very different course from Lexington's other dgc, Shillito. Wooded, claustrophobic, very challenging threat-the-needle type of course, though bear in mind I've been playing for only a few months.
Cons: A bit overgrown in places, and finding some tees is rather more of a challenge then it may need to be.
Other Thoughts: I've played it a couple of times, and enjoyed it. Like I said before, it's a definite change of pace from Shillito, and will probaby help one's game improve in some ways that are not so important at Shillito.

But trying to find my way around the course takes a good bit from my enjoyment of it. Directions to tees are too often unclear, and I still haven't found out how to get from 15 to 16. I would heartily recommend an investment in ways to help people navigate from hole to hole--arrows, trail markers of some kind, signs, or what have you.