Owensboro, KY
3 / 200ft.   3 / 200ft.   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:

Nothing Like It

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: Very unique. I LOVED holes 2-8,10 and 13-18. So many holes that I could stick on a random course and call them signature holes. But there are so many of them here, that I don't know which ones are signature. 2,3,4,10,18 could all be signature holes. It's not even right that I'm going to use Idlewild in this review, but that's the only other place I've been that I've walked up to the teebox and thought "Wow" so many times. Yellow Creek Park really has one hill. One really steep hill that was used perfectly for the disc golf course. 2 has the basket on the steep hill, and it happened to me, I missed the gap and played a spike hyzer into it with my second shot that actually hit the basket, and then rolled all the way down the hill and I made bogey. Then you get to the top of it and play 3 back down, making one of the coolest drives I've ever thrown. Then 4, back up the hill, took me 5 minutes to decide what to throw, it was a great thinking hole. One straight 240 ft hole, where I considered backhand, forehand, and threw a thumber and could have made any work. So they made 3 good holes out of one hill. The lake was also used well on 14-18. The tee boxes were really long too.
Cons: 1, 9, 11, and 12 are pretty straight forward, open, easy holes, but I can handle a few of those. If I were to play the course again, I'd stop after 18, 19-27 seem like they were added on, and are pretty boring holes. A lot of the tee signs were missing, and it was hard to tell distances.
Other Thoughts: I love the uniqueness of this course. I didn't realize by looking at the pictures, just how different it was. I guess you could say the pictures don't do it justice. Playing sign par the course is pretty easy. This is one of those I would play as all par 3s. Playing sign par a person in my group shot -14 for 27, and -10 for 18. He's a 920ish player shooting that score so it is very scoreable.

Surprisingly good

1    6/23/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: -Much prettier course than I expected. The extra 9 holes play in and around treelines bordering a couple of fields, and as such aren't as visually interesting, but the original 18 in particular make a very attractive course.
-Maintenance was excellent, the entire course looked well taken care of.
-Teepads were adequate (but were the longest and narrowest teepads I've ever seen, personally I felt the length was mostly unnecessary and would have like a bit more width).
-Signs were adequate.
-Decent variety of holes. Short, long, left, right, hilly, flat, water, field, etc. The original 18 would have been a little short for my tastes, but the extra 9 holes allow you to stretch your arm a little.
-The wooded holes were nowhere near as gnarly as I expected. They have the look/feel of an older wooded course that gets a lot of play. In other words, there's not a lot of underbrush.
-The holes around the lake, while not without problems (see below), were attractive and added an element that's missing from most courses I regularly play.
-Benches made out of big stone blocks on several holes were welcome and also added character to the course.
-Several unique signature holes (#4, #18 in particular) that you will remember long after your round.
Cons: -Hole 18 is a disaster waiting to happen. The basket sits about 20-30 feet in front of a prime picnic spot that I'm assuming would be packed with people on most weekends during warmer weather. On the day we played, there were about 40 people just past the basket, right in the line of fire. So at this point, you have two choices: #1 you just throw toward the crowd, possibly hitting someone, #2 you try to yell "HEADS UP" from across the lake and let people know that a dangerous flying object is heading their way. Well, we chose #2 and yelled several times from across the lake, with barely a person acknowledging that they ever heard us. Most people over there never bothered to turn their heads. So then what do you do? Stand over there yelling indefinitely or just throw it at unsuspecting people? Neither option is good. Given that none of the picnickers were paying attention to our shouts, I tossed my first throw into the lake trying to play it cautiously. My second (less-cautious) throw ended up under someone's lawn chair. It's a great looking hole and I love playing it, but I just don't know that it's worth the injury potential here.
-Several of the other holes near the lake also had kids and fishermen in the way. We were throwing spike hyzers over fishing kids on 14. I really like the lake holes, but I don't know that it's worth the risk when you have to share the lake with 50-100 other people.
-Hole design is biased toward RHBH throwers.
Other Thoughts: -We played this course after Madisonville on our return trip to Louisville. Honestly I was expecting a bit of a letdown after just playing such a great course, but this one surprised me. I think it's fair to call this course a little hidden gem out in the middle of nowhere. The local club and/or parks dept is taking care of it, and it looks like it gets a good bit of use. If you played this course during an "off-peak" time, such as a weekday when school was in session, then my biggest gripes about the course would likely be mitigated. It was an enjoyable round of golf and I look forward to playing it again.

5+    4/30/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: NKlassy
Pros: A good fun course. Fun for everyone wheather your a beginner or an experienced player. 15-18 or around a lake, where you can play over it or play it safe. 18 is the only hole that requires you to throw across the water. It can be a difficult shot, especially if its windy, but makeable 9 out of 10 times. My personal favorite is probably hole 4 being straight up a hilll with lots of tree coverage.
Cons: Around the lake can get kinda busy with people fishing or just siting around. You may have to ask people to move out of your way or yell a heads up before you throw.
Other Thoughts: Its about a 30-45 min drive for me. Since it's not my home course it's nice to drive over for the weekend and make an afternoon of it playing a few games with lunch in between

Good Course to Get Your Feet Wet

5+    11/26/2010   12/1/2010
Review By: sengenberger
This review was updated on 12/4/2010
Pros: Since this is my home course, and the last 9 holes were alternates, I am going to review the original 18. For starters, the use of elevation in this park is great, and very few shots are just a straight shot across a flat field. It may not be the longest course ever, but it was a great place to learn as a beginner. It has a decent combination of woods, fields, and water to make it interesting. Some holes (such as 6, 10, 16, and 18) are trickier than they appear, as there is either water or a very steep drop off near the basket. Each 9 loops back to the parking area. Hole 18 is always a fun shot, a 250 ft throw over a lake onto a peninsula.
Each hole has a stone bench to sit on and the signs are fairly accurate. This is an excellent course for an introduction to the sport, as each hole can have multiple shots. The course fairways are extremely well kept, so you do not have to worry about losing your disc in tall grass.
Cons: The baskets are only single chain, so if you are used to the stopping power of dual chains, you will have a few blowouts. There are virtually no O.B.'s except for the creek or the lake, which does not challenge the player to think about their shots. Course can get crowded during cross country events as the runners run along the creek. There are other events as well that can take up the fairways of the first few holes.
Other Thoughts: The Daviess County Disc Golf Club is a really friendly bunch of people, and they have regular club events each week. Usually there are bag tag rounds on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and Doubles rounds on Wednesdays and Sundays. Really great disc golf community that truly loves the sport.
Update: the photos of holes 11-14 are not up to date; hole 11 no longer has the mound of dirt in front of it, hole 12 and 13 no longer have the gigantic tree clusters blocking the basket, (unfortunately) making them significantly easier.

1    7/2/2009   7/2/2009
Review By: kdos
Pros: Very nice course. a lot of open shots. it is maintained quite well. there are some shots that are up hills and down hills, some through small gaps in trees. long course but worth the drive for sure.
Cons: i did not see a course map anywhere nor scorecards. other than that just the large amount of bird poop around the lake area.
Other Thoughts: holes 19-27 are all very open, a good time to really test your distance driving. GREAT course. grab some friends and go check out this course.

Wonderful!

1    3/23/2008   12/18/2008
Review By: discgolphinmafaukner
This review was updated on 10/31/2009
Pros: This park has mostly open holes although there are trees in just the right spots to make you think about your shot. Holes 14-18 are around the pond which will also make you think. All of the holes have signs. I believe some of the holes have trash cans next to them. Some of the baskets are guarded by trees and one basket goes up a steep cliff. The course loops back to the parking lot after hole 9 and again after hole 14. The new 9 holes really let you air it out. The course is well maintained.
Cons: The teepads are like landing strips. They get the job done, but I prefer wider teepads. This doesn't really take away from the course though.
Other Thoughts: Great course in Owensboro! I like to come here like voting in Chicago....early and often! The ducks around hole 16 and 17 can be vicious. Watch out for bird feces on holes 16 and 17.

Home Course

5+    5/7/2009   12/11/2008
Review By: gusc2375
This review was updated on 5/9/2009
Pros: I have now played the new 9 holes so this is based on all 27.The new nine is a good fit for this course. The holes play longer than the signs say. the Second hole you throw between two mature trees into a field toward a ditch with a nice tree line, some players will clear the ditch others will face a tough up shot. Several Annies are needed to make birdies on a few holes A good use of the hills and ditch line on most of the holes. This is a triple loop that puts you back at the starting point. This is a well laid out course with lots shots required. Left turns hole 3 right turns hole 9,11 straights 1,2,5,6,several others uphill 4 downhills 5,8. Park is well maintained. The water shots 14-18 are great for the average rec player.
Cons: This course is not super long. 18 is scary when you are new to the sport I have given the lake several disc.The new nine are more open and easier for big arms.
Other Thoughts: This is where I learned the game, and that may skew me a bit. The Club does a great job with the course and tournaments.

Awesome Course

2/27/2008   2/27/2008
Review By: eaglefan05
Pros: New 9 holes will be added soon. The extra 9 holes will only be 1000 ft. shorter than the original 18. Uphill, downhill, forehand, backhand shots all required. Infamous hole 18 is a great finishing hole.
Cons: Geese Poo everywhere around the lake. Maybe a little to short of a course for the big arms, but it atleast requires you to know how to putt.