Owensboro, KY

< Prev 1 2 3
Nothing Like It

1    7/26/2013   7/26/2013
Review By: DG addict24
Pros: Very unique. I LOVED holes 2-8,10 and 13-18. So many holes that I could stick on a random course and call them signature holes. But there are so many of them here, that I don't know which ones are signature. 2,3,4,10,18 could all be signature holes. It's not even right that I'm going to use Idlewild in this review, but that's the only other place I've been that I've walked up to the teebox and thought "Wow" so many times. Yellow Creek Park really has one hill. One really steep hill that was used perfectly for the disc golf course. 2 has the basket on the steep hill, and it happened to me, I missed the gap and played a spike hyzer into it with my second shot that actually hit the basket, and then rolled all the way down the hill and I made bogey. Then you get to the top of it and play 3 back down, making one of the coolest drives I've ever thrown. Then 4, back up the hill, took me 5 minutes to decide what to throw, it was a great thinking hole. One straight 240 ft hole, where I considered backhand, forehand, and threw a thumber and could have made any work. So they made 3 good holes out of one hill. The lake was also used well on 14-18. The tee boxes were really long too.
Cons: 1, 9, 11, and 12 are pretty straight forward, open, easy holes, but I can handle a few of those. If I were to play the course again, I'd stop after 18, 19-27 seem like they were added on, and are pretty boring holes. A lot of the tee signs were missing, and it was hard to tell distances.
Other Thoughts: I love the uniqueness of this course. I didn't realize by looking at the pictures, just how different it was. I guess you could say the pictures don't do it justice. Playing sign par the course is pretty easy. This is one of those I would play as all par 3s. Playing sign par a person in my group shot -14 for 27, and -10 for 18. He's a 920ish player shooting that score so it is very scoreable.

Surprisingly good

1    6/23/2012   7/6/2012
Review By: upfromtheashes
Pros: -Much prettier course than I expected. The extra 9 holes play in and around treelines bordering a couple of fields, and as such aren't as visually interesting, but the original 18 in particular make a very attractive course.
-Maintenance was excellent, the entire course looked well taken care of.
-Teepads were adequate (but were the longest and narrowest teepads I've ever seen, personally I felt the length was mostly unnecessary and would have like a bit more width).
-Signs were adequate.
-Decent variety of holes. Short, long, left, right, hilly, flat, water, field, etc. The original 18 would have been a little short for my tastes, but the extra 9 holes allow you to stretch your arm a little.
-The wooded holes were nowhere near as gnarly as I expected. They have the look/feel of an older wooded course that gets a lot of play. In other words, there's not a lot of underbrush.
-The holes around the lake, while not without problems (see below), were attractive and added an element that's missing from most courses I regularly play.
-Benches made out of big stone blocks on several holes were welcome and also added character to the course.
-Several unique signature holes (#4, #18 in particular) that you will remember long after your round.
Cons: -Hole 18 is a disaster waiting to happen. The basket sits about 20-30 feet in front of a prime picnic spot that I'm assuming would be packed with people on most weekends during warmer weather. On the day we played, there were about 40 people just past the basket, right in the line of fire. So at this point, you have two choices: #1 you just throw toward the crowd, possibly hitting someone, #2 you try to yell "HEADS UP" from across the lake and let people know that a dangerous flying object is heading their way. Well, we chose #2 and yelled several times from across the lake, with barely a person acknowledging that they ever heard us. Most people over there never bothered to turn their heads. So then what do you do? Stand over there yelling indefinitely or just throw it at unsuspecting people? Neither option is good. Given that none of the picnickers were paying attention to our shouts, I tossed my first throw into the lake trying to play it cautiously. My second (less-cautious) throw ended up under someone's lawn chair. It's a great looking hole and I love playing it, but I just don't know that it's worth the injury potential here.
-Several of the other holes near the lake also had kids and fishermen in the way. We were throwing spike hyzers over fishing kids on 14. I really like the lake holes, but I don't know that it's worth the risk when you have to share the lake with 50-100 other people.
-Hole design is biased toward RHBH throwers.
Other Thoughts: -We played this course after Madisonville on our return trip to Louisville. Honestly I was expecting a bit of a letdown after just playing such a great course, but this one surprised me. I think it's fair to call this course a little hidden gem out in the middle of nowhere. The local club and/or parks dept is taking care of it, and it looks like it gets a good bit of use. If you played this course during an "off-peak" time, such as a weekday when school was in session, then my biggest gripes about the course would likely be mitigated. It was an enjoyable round of golf and I look forward to playing it again.

fun and challenging

1    5/28/2012   5/28/2012
Review By: peabody
Pros: Hole one, easy downhill no problem-------well there is that deep creek right behind the pin..
Two looks open, hmm nope it's in the woods and up a steep hill thats lets the disc have room to roll back down.
Three should be easy. Hey where is the pin? Down the hill and left?
And so goes this wonderful little course here in northern Ky. Each and every hole has a different look and a set of challenges.
It's easy to score well here provided you stay out of the rough. It is REALLY ROUGH.
The holes over the pond are tough but fair for players who can throw 250.
Nice mowed fairways and benches/tables and trashcans at key places around the course. People are very friendly and will help you out on where to go next. Finding the next hole wasn't hard but there were some places where one might get lost.
Love the extra long teepads.
Five Guys Burgers is a few minutes away as are many great restuarants.
Ducks and Geese and beautiful scenery abound in this neat park.
All in all just a great place for a great game.
Cons: Poisin Ivy was all over the place and some of the roughs could be cleaned up a bit.
Hole 9 was kinda out of place and didn't impress me as being ":Neat". Just a plain short hole whose only purpose was to get you back to hole 1 and 10.
The people around the pond were in the way and they had small kids fishing and playing. They were nice enough to watch out but someone could get hurt. Hole 18 needs a drop zone for us throwers who can't make the 250 feet in any wind condition.
Other Thoughts: Just a good 3 par course with some elevation and challenging wooded holes.
I think this is one of H B's better short courses. I will be back.

SO SO

1    11/9/2011   11/17/2011
Review By: pTelli
Pros: Beautiful location. Nice and wooded with a stream adjacent to several holes. Course is fairly technical and you will search for the perfect disc/throwing technique for drives. Good course for beginners. Shorter course that has made good use of limited space.
Cons: A couple of the holes are Gimmicky with throws way up hills that basically require a measure of luck to avoid major obstacles or baskets buried deep within tree stands that require the same luck to even get a makeable birdie shot. Main complaint is that the course is very short. Not enough par 4s and I found myself having to hold back as to not overthrow baskets on my drive. Big arms will have to get creative.

5+    4/30/2011   5/30/2011
Review By: NKlassy
Pros: A good fun course. Fun for everyone wheather your a beginner or an experienced player. 15-18 or around a lake, where you can play over it or play it safe. 18 is the only hole that requires you to throw across the water. It can be a difficult shot, especially if its windy, but makeable 9 out of 10 times. My personal favorite is probably hole 4 being straight up a hilll with lots of tree coverage.
Cons: Around the lake can get kinda busy with people fishing or just siting around. You may have to ask people to move out of your way or yell a heads up before you throw.
Other Thoughts: Its about a 30-45 min drive for me. Since it's not my home course it's nice to drive over for the weekend and make an afternoon of it playing a few games with lunch in between

Good Course to Get Your Feet Wet

5+    11/26/2010   12/1/2010
Review By: sengenberger
This review was updated on 12/4/2010
Pros: Since this is my home course, and the last 9 holes were alternates, I am going to review the original 18. For starters, the use of elevation in this park is great, and very few shots are just a straight shot across a flat field. It may not be the longest course ever, but it was a great place to learn as a beginner. It has a decent combination of woods, fields, and water to make it interesting. Some holes (such as 6, 10, 16, and 18) are trickier than they appear, as there is either water or a very steep drop off near the basket. Each 9 loops back to the parking area. Hole 18 is always a fun shot, a 250 ft throw over a lake onto a peninsula.
Each hole has a stone bench to sit on and the signs are fairly accurate. This is an excellent course for an introduction to the sport, as each hole can have multiple shots. The course fairways are extremely well kept, so you do not have to worry about losing your disc in tall grass.
Cons: The baskets are only single chain, so if you are used to the stopping power of dual chains, you will have a few blowouts. There are virtually no O.B.'s except for the creek or the lake, which does not challenge the player to think about their shots. Course can get crowded during cross country events as the runners run along the creek. There are other events as well that can take up the fairways of the first few holes.
Other Thoughts: The Daviess County Disc Golf Club is a really friendly bunch of people, and they have regular club events each week. Usually there are bag tag rounds on Tuesdays and Saturdays, and Doubles rounds on Wednesdays and Sundays. Really great disc golf community that truly loves the sport.
Update: the photos of holes 11-14 are not up to date; hole 11 no longer has the mound of dirt in front of it, hole 12 and 13 no longer have the gigantic tree clusters blocking the basket, (unfortunately) making them significantly easier.

Excellent duece or die course

5+    8/18/2010   8/18/2010
Review By: weeman
Pros: Original course lies in the back of a multi-use park partially along the Yellow Creek and up and down some large slopes. The course is partially wooded with rather large lines to get to the basket. A variety of lengths keep it from getting repetitive. Nice stone benches and large tee pads accompany each hole on the original 18. Nice use of the elevation in the park with some holes up, others down, some across grade and others flat. A lot of baskets are strategically placed for a do-or-die putting situation if your drive isn't right near the basket. The last five holes really make you concentrate otherwise your disc will probably get going in the water.
Cons: As mentioned by others, the course can become flooded after heavy storms and numbers 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, and 13 can become unplayable. The extra nine (holes A-I), which start on the other side of the road after number 8 don't add much to the character of the rest of the course. All have long narrow tee pads that don't allow for any sideways movement on them. They feel like they should be on a different course.
Other Thoughts: Course can be very busy on nice days and after school is let out. I don't see this as a Con but kind of as a Pro meaning that this is a good course for all skill levels and gets used a lot. Only other real suggestion/comment I have is that maybe there should be a couple of brooms out near numbers 14-18 so you don't have to drive while going through goose crap on the tee pads.

The 'Boro pleases

2-4    6/5/2010   7/27/2010
Review By: absolutdork
Pros: Nice and challenging course in a very busy park that itemizes the land given to almost its' maximum potential. Front nine has nice elevation uses, and one hole in particular stands out to me, but I can't remember the exact number. You throw at the bottom of a basin straight up a hill with concrete stairs and the basket is right up the top of that crazy steep hill. Some ace runs available. Back nine plays off into a basin, then comes back around to the lake and has some nice lake shots, concluding with the monster #18 that involves chucking it across the entire pond.
Cons: A little too busy at times. Especially watch for people around the lake holes, as some love to fish and eat around them. Hole #18 may scare off novices, and I too have lost one of my discs to the drink there. Some of the back nine can get very water logged after a recent rain as it sits in a very low-lying area. On Hole #11 make sure you are throwing the disc towards the right as the basket is tucked into the outline of the woods there. Don't throw straight at the basket down a bit straight ahead as that is #13's basket. Can be tricky for those who have never played.
Other Thoughts: Good course and worth the drive if you have time to stop by. Will challenge just about everyone.

Nice park course

1    4/12/2009   7/22/2010
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a pretty multi use park with some rolling hills and some cool water hazards. The lake and creek come into play on a handful of holes making for some nice risk/reward decisions, 18 is a fun shot across the lake. The elevation is used well to add variety and challenge, and makes the course more fun. There are lots of fun ace runs, and a couple longer holes to add some challenge.

There are nice concrete tees here that are plenty large for the length of the holes and are in good shape. The signage is basic but adequate to know where to throw. The park is nicely maintained and scenic, with some areas of woods that can come into play on errant shots for a little bit of punishment.
Cons: The park has a lot going on, and the course conflicts with other uses a lot. There are a ton of safety issues, and it's likely that some holes will be unplayable due to picnickers by the lake on a nice summer day. The course is pretty easy, and very biased toward rhbh hyzer shots, and could really use some more shot shape variety and balance. The added 9 is not as well maintained or as easy to follow as the rest of the course, and doesn't really add much in terms of variety or fun.
Other Thoughts: This is a typical park course in a pretty but crowded park with some major safety issues. If you can play early in the morning or on a day where there won't be as many people using the park, it's a fun round, but it can be frustrating when many of the fairways are covered in people. Beginners will enjoy the generally shorter lengths and open fairways, though the water holes can be daunting. More experienced players won't find too much real challenge here, and there isn't enough variety to make it a must play.

Worth the time to play

1    4/4/2010   4/4/2010
Review By: SpecialFX
Pros: This course makes good use of elevation changes and the layout is easy to follow even with some holes pretty close together. Also the course was pretty well maintained. Except hole 18, the course is pretty beginner friendly. None of the first 18 are very long so this is a good course for someone with shorter drives.
Cons: The hole maps at some of the tee boxes aren't very accurate. I had a few wholes where I had problems with a lot of people around the basket because the baskets are close to picnic shelters. The last 9 holes (A-I) would have been nearly impossible to navigate if it hadn't been for more experienced players letting me play with them, and these same holes needed mowed. Hole 18 (entirely across a pond) is very intimidating to a beginner, and it's easy to accidentally go for hole 13s basket when playing hole 11.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course that makes good use of a fairly small area. I like that there are 27 holes, but the last nine are hard to navigate and needed maintained a little better. I'll definitely go play again, but I may only play 1-18.

< Prev 1 2 3