Lynchburg, VA

Peaks View

5+    1/24/2011   1/26/2011
Review By: Jeremy Reynolds
This review was updated on 1/29/2011
Pros: Peaks view is a great way to learn the game. It was the first course i ever played and since then I have scored my first ace on hole three. The holes are not super long and you do not need to have a beast arm to play the course. Holes 1-6 are mostly open with a few trees which add some cool obstacles. The course is pretty technical at times because holes 7-16 are in the woods and you need to be accurate to keep a good score. Being accurate is how this course will help you become a better player.
Cons: The upkeep around the park is good, but it could be a little better. More grass would be a plus especially on holes 3-6 because of all the mud that gets everywhere if you play when its wet. The park is really nice though so its not really a big deal.
Other Thoughts: Peaks view is alot of fun to go out and play a few quick games at because the course can be played through quickly if you hustle.

Doesn’t pique my interest

2-4    1/20/2010   11/8/2010
Review By: Olorin
Pros:
* Terrain variety- there's a well balanced mix of woods holes and more open holes with scattered trees. (9 Woods/ 9 Mixed.) The beginning holes, 1-6, have a nice mix of hills, grassy fairways, and scattered trees. Then holes 7-16 are woods holes that test your accuracy. The woods have nice natural beauty.
*There's elevation variety on every hole (8 Up/ 10 Down) even if the elevation changes are moderate.
Cons:
-Especially in the woods, many holes don't take full advantage of the hills by having fairways on the side of the hills with little elevation change instead of up or down hill shots.
-There can be some mud on fairways and a few greens after a rain or during snow melt.
-Limited fairway shape variety- there are too many straight fairways, with only 2 that curve right. 10 Straight/ 6 Left/ 2 Right.
-Length variety is low with all holes being rather short. 11 holes of 120-180/ 7 of 200-290.
-Tee pads are concrete, but kind of short and narrow.
-An apartment complex too close to holes 14 and 15 detracted a little bit from the natural beauty
Course Level = Red (most suited for Juniors and Intermediate players rated 825-875)

~Amenities- there's a decent restroom, hole maps on the tee signs, and a basic message board.

My rating is kind of low, but remember that it reflects my own personal enjoyment of the course. For me, the course is just too short, and with the disappointment over the lost opportunity on the side hill shots, it doesn't have that much to draw me back. Since it's a Red level course it's more suitable for newer players, Juniors, and those who don't throw very far. That demographic might want to take a peek at the course, but others might find it less enjoyable.

A note about my rating: My rating is a subjective measure of my enjoyment of the course, on the day I played it, and it is NOT intended to be a measure of the quality of the course. My ratings are given "on the curve" in relation to all other courses I've played.

Look in the "Links/Files" section for my files with Hole-by-hole evaluations, and a more detailed Overall review. You can also read more of my review philosophy and rating notes at Disc Golf Course Reviews

Peaks View

2-4    10/16/2010   10/19/2010
Review By: Bamm
Pros: Good course layout with some uphill shots and some challenging wooded shots. Very good signage. There is actually a trash can here and there (but I guess that;s because they are around a softball field). Very short course, you can play it pretty quick without rushing.
Cons: A lot of the basket areas have erosion problems. Large ruts all around the baskets and some tee box areas. You might have to play around people if there is a softball game going on. We had to get about 5-6 people to move once before when we got to #5 I think it was. Oh well, HEAD'S UP!!! =-)
Other Thoughts: Great for the beginner and still pleasant to play for better dg'ers (from what I hear as I am not one of the better ones) =-)

My First Course

2-4    6/28/2010   8/17/2010
Review By: wkelly42
Pros: This is a great course for a beginner (which is DEFINITELY me). I got my Starter Set for Father's Day the week before my first round at this course, and learned a lot from playing here.

While this isn't a long course by any stretch of the imagination, it requires some good course management and some accurate throwing. There are a few holes that I would consider wide open, but most of the course is certainly designed with risk-reward in mind. This is the place to go if you want to work on accuracy and your short game. Leave the driver at home -- even as a beginner, I I threw my Leopard driver past a couple of the holes the second time I played here.

#13 is certainly a birdie hole for a newb (I've done it every time I played here, including my first round ever playing disc golf), and I'm sure that a more experienced player could throw an ace with no problem.

#5 is a tough hole if you're a backhand thrower. As has been mentioned by other reviewers, you need a forehand to score well here -- which means I don't score well on #5. Practice, practice, practice!!
Cons: Lots of non-golfing traffic on the first six holes, especially on the weekends. You've got pavilions and baseball fields to contend with until you get to the woods on #7. I even had a kid pick up my disc and bring it over to me while I was playing up #5 -- thankfully I remembered where it had landed.
Other Thoughts: This is a great place for beginners to learn the game without feeling the pressure to bomb a drive. You'll learn accuracy and strategy, and have some fun without getting overly frustrated. Great place to bring some beginners, too!!

Quick Round

1    7/24/2010   8/2/2010
Review By: jkdisc
Pros: This is a nice beginner course.
-easy navigation without a map
-concrete tees
-mix of open/wooded
-some elevation changes
-informative tee signs
-clean/well kept course and facilities
Cons: It's hard to find many cons that are a major issues but most holes are very short with limited challenges for advanced players.
Becareful teeing off many pads have a drop-off at the end of the tee. (you don't need a long run up anyhow.)
-some baskets in rough shape (bent, leaning)
Other Thoughts: Overall it's a fun short course and it's worth playing if you're nearby. Water hazards aren't a huge worry unless you have a really bad throw. My favorite hole was #17 because it's longer with more obstacles. Park near the bathrooms where you will see the sign pointing you towards the 1st tee down the path.

Great, Short, Ace!!!

5+    7/6/2010   7/8/2010
Review By: Han_Tzu
Pros: This a great confidence booster course. For any beginner grab your disc and start throwing it. Every hole is a chance to learn something new. The elevation changes and the wooded area (from 7-16) are not terrible challenges. You can learn throw many shots with this course. As I have gotten better I have left my drivers in the bag and played the whole course with my Mid-Range Buzzz. It is short so you can play through a round or two in a day or just squeeze in a game. Many Ace opportunity's, also a good drive and good putt may land you well under par for the day.
Cons: Only real con would be the baskets have seen their share of abuse from weather or a individual that decide the inanimate object needed a thrashing because he sucks at putting. Basket 11 the top is being held on by rocks balancing it to the pole. I called the park and left a message to no avail!  Some of the other baskets look like the will be joining 11 soon.

5+    6/28/2010   6/28/2010
Review By: w8nforhim
Pros: The course is located in a scenic park and several of the holes are played by softball fields and soccer fields and along walking paths.

There is a great mixture of trees, slopes, and open holes. The woods shots are not impossible and there are plenty of birdie, and even a couple eagle opportunities.

Each hole is clearly marked, the tees are in great condition and there is a sign with the hole layout, distance, and par for each hole.

Just about impossible to lose a disc on this course unless you roll one into the pond.
Cons: The course is great for a beginner as far as length and open shots, but for anyone with more experience, the course is short. Most of the holes only average 200 feet, with the longest not even touching 300 feet. Therefore, if you are looking for a challenge or improving your game, this wouldn't be a course for you.
Other Thoughts: Excellent course for beginners. And for all others, it is still a nice course to play where everything is laid out nicely and kept up. And it'll be a confidence booster when you tally up your score! Will definitely visit again!

Good beginner course

1    4/17/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: Vicarious
Pros: *Well Maintained
*Good use of terrain
*Nice tees
*Close to Falling Creek DGC
Cons: *Kinda short (overshooting it with distance drivers)
Other Thoughts: Can Be a great course for beginners. This course could use an extension of the baskets to make it a little more difficult. Overall a good course

Short, short and short

1    5/1/2010   5/1/2010
Review By: unknown2no1
Pros: Good course for beginners or if you want to practice your approach shots. Nice tee signs and pads.
Cons: Very short, lots of people, got bored quick with this course
Other Thoughts: Well maintained but the length kills this course. 18 holes feel squeezed in to the park. Would not recommend anyone travel any distance to play this course.

Good Overall Experience

2-4    7/10/2008   1/2/2010
Review By: discgolfpioneer
Pros: Great variety of holes. Combo of woods and open. Well maintained minimizes disc suck into the woods. Very pleasant and relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Exposure to non-playing public at ball fields and picnic areas. Park is busy on weekends.
Other Thoughts: A really nice place to play. I enjoyed this course as much and any that I played on the PDGA tours.