Las Vegas, NV
Peccole Ranch Share
Uploaded By: jlogflagstaff Hole #17 (Taken 4/2010)

Unique Neighborhood Course

1    9/22/2012   10/25/2012
Review By: jasonc
Pros: Peccole Ranch is located in a very nice residential community. The course mostly plays through a drainage ditch that is about 150' wide with houses on both sides, which takes away big hyzers or anhyzers on several holes.

The concrete teepads are not huge, but they are level and big enough to allow a 3 or 4 step run-up on your drives.

The baskets are in good shape.

The tee signs are nice, but on a course like this, more details should be provided if possible to aid with navigation.

There are a good number of trees that offer a good break from the sun. The trees also force you to consider roller or overhand/thumber shots that most players don't have the ability to throw.

There are a few contenders, but I believe #12 is the signature hole here. 350' from a "well protected" teepad.
Cons: Although I am sure the designers did the best the could with the space available, the lack of flow and the long, often unmarked walks in between 12-13, 14-15 and 15-16 are the biggest con here.

Holes 4--8 and 9--12 share the same space. Please pay close attention to other golfers and park users, especially on these holes.

The lack of clear fair/airways mixed with numerous guardian trees will become quickly frustrating to beginners and rec level players.

Wet conditions caused by sprinklers made the teepads very dangerous. Although the sprinklers are vital to keeping the fairways alive, you will need to dry off your shoes to avoid slipping.
Other Thoughts: The only space to "legally" park (In the Peccole Ranch Homeowners Office/rec area lot at the corner of Apple Dr. and Red Hills Rd.) is not close to the first teepad.

A community service/security office stopped me to hand out a course map and list of rules for the course. She was very nice.

This course would have been extremely frustrating to navigate without the maps and details from other reviews posted here on DGCR. Thanks timg and everyone else who made it possible for me to find all 18 holes here at Peccole Ranch!

Keeping it cool in the shade...

2-4    9/3/2012   9/3/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 11/23/2012
Pros: There are more trees here than any other course in Vegas. This means a few things. For one, shade! It's not nearly as brutal on a hot summer day, and you'll spend half your time under the cover of the trees here. More importantly, it means a lot of tunnel shots. You will be forced to throw as far as possible while still keeping your disc low and flat; this is not a skill that the other courses in the area (or enough courses in general) teach.

The preponderance of tunnel shots will also mean you'll need to consider some of your lesser used tools: overhand shots and rollers. Rollers aren't easy on many of the holes because the shape of ground is in a "V" (the course is in a drainage area). I used a couple thumbers throughout, although this is never your only option.

Every tee pad is concrete and adequately long. The tee signs are nothing special but give the distance and the shape of the fairway.

The grass is pretty lush due to the drainage nature of the whole area (other than the last several holes, which are in a nice desert landscape area), and the hole place is pretty pleasant.
Cons: Given how many trees were in the fairway, and given how narrow the fairways are, I'm very surprised that the holes are as long as they are. I felt like a lot of the holes were very difficult par 3's or pretty easy par 4's. This isn't a horrible thing for a few holes, but I would like to see some more holes in the 225-250 foot range. It wouldn't be tough to construct some holes with multiple lines: a risky ace run/birdie line along with a safer par line that won't allow for an easy birdie. Instead I felt like very good drives on most holes weren't rewarded with a birdie (and they weren't legitimate par 4's, either).

The course loops back on itself, so if you encounter other players, you'll be throwing toward them. This would never be a safe place to have 10 groups playing, but I only ran into one other group and a handful of pedestrians. If it's not busy on a beautiful Labor Day afternoon, it probably never is.

Navigation isn't too bad for the first 12 holes (turn the corner to the left on the 3rd hole and then go through the tunnel near hole 3 after you've completed hole 12). I would never have been able to navigate after hole 14 without another reviewer's directions. To clarify, walk up to the sidewalk along Mt. Charleston Blvd, turn right (east) and walk a quarter mile until you see another inlet between houses on the right. There were no signs pointing the way, so if you don't read this, you'll never find the last several holes.

Pay attention the tee signs. A couple times the hole in front of you is the wrong one (after nearly "acing" the basket in front of me on #3, I discovered that was actually the basket for #12). On that note, walk ahead to make sure no one is near the basket on #3 before teeing off. It's a cool shot around the corner but potentially unsafe.

Lastly, it's easy to lose discs here. The fairways are narrow, the OB is someone's back yard, and many of the houses are in gated communities (so if you throw into someone's yard, you can't even go to their front door to ask for it back)
Other Thoughts: The course is technically reserved for residents, but if aren't causing any trouble, I can't imagine you'll have much trouble. I parked in the lot of the community headquarters at I the corner of Apple Dr. and Red Hills Rd. A couple community security officers were nearby and didn't seem too worried by my presence.

Be respectful to this area. It's nothing like the other courses in the area. My score was bad, but my inaccurate drives got what they deserved. I like this place, and I'll be back.

You’re Probably NOT Supposed to be There.

1    11/19/2010   12/5/2010
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Great Use of Open Space. You certainly can't be mad at a housing development setting aside a portion of the land to create a greenway, walkway, park area for the residents to use… and then adding an 18 Hole disc golf course to it - even if you're not supposed to be there!
- Know How to Throw Low? If you don't know how to throw low, Peccole will teach you. With the risk of throwing into backyards, you can't help but learn. I didn't have any trouble, but my friend who doesn't play very much golf could have. Neither of us ever went OB, but I could easily see lesser experienced players, or ballsy experienced players trying to go big, visiting the neighbors.
- The Most Beautiful Concrete Tees Imaginable... Decent signage too.
Cons:
- You're Not Supposed to be There. This course is labeled as extremely private. There is a sign at Hole 1 that says so. I stopped reading the sign after the first 3 words because I knew what direction the sign was going and I didn't want to knowingly "break" the rules (at least I could have pretended to not know for sure if I was questioned). Because of this…
- I Felt Uncomfortable. Knowing that I wasn't supposed to be there, and that I was playing extremely close to a lot of backyards, made me feel uncomfortable. It was really hard to concentrate on shots knowing that I was not supposed to be there.
- Fairways??? There was a considerable lack of FAIRways to work with. Linking a bunch of 300+' shots with a 10' ceiling isn't the best course design… especially when considering that the alternate AIRway option of throwing over the trees brings backyard/houses/windows/etc… into play. Throwing spike hyzers over a few houses is an option, but there's no need to piss off the neighbors… especially if you're not supposed to be there.
- Long Walks. There were some long walks out there, including a ¼ mile plus walk down a sidewalk between Holes 14 and 15. Several other Holes required you to retrace your footsteps, walking back, past the tee you just played from, to get to the next tee which plays the opposite direction.
- Redundant. How many low ceilinged 325'holes can be designed? A lot… I can't remember the last time I threw so many sidearm rollers.
- Overall… I was disappointed in my experience at Peccole Ranch. Aside from feeling more than uncomfortable, the lack of fairways and Hole variety made the course lackluster. I can understand the high rating it has received because of the trees, grass, length, etc… but the course itself has major flaws.
- Finding 15. After Hole 14, walk up to the sidewalk and turn right… walk down the sidewalk for ¼ mile or more until the next inlet between the houses puts you back on the greenway. I was walking down the sidewalk thinking "there's no way it's this far" and was just about to turn around when I found the inlet.
- Chicago Brewery. I've been to more than 70 microbreweries during my travels and the Chicago Brewery, which is approximately 3 minutes away from the course, is Fantastic! Of the 10 beers I sampled, 9 were better than 90% of the other beers I've had of that same style. And, their food was great too. Highly recommend their Hot Pastrami sandwich with Cole Slaw.
- My Las Vegas Rankings. I played 6 of the 7 courses in Vegas during a recent business trip. My rankings are: Sunset, Mountain Crest, Red Ridge, Pecole Ranch, Freedom, (Anthem - based on ratings), Carson Davis.
- My Score: +1