Vadito, NM
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort Share
Uploaded By: RocCityDiscer Hole #8 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #8 Fairway to Tee

Sipapu is Scintillating!

1    10/6/2015   11/1/2015
Review By: Upshawt1979
Pros: The great use of elevation change and the forrest lining the ski slopes of Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort make this disc golf course scenic, challenging, and tons of fun. The weather was amazing when I played in early October, sun shining and low wind. 20 holes when in full effect. The tees are pretty good, on rubber mats that are usually nice and level. The baskets were in good shape. I expected to pay to play, and would have gladly since the course is fantastic, but this one is free. The pro shop had some discs, gear and refreshments for sale. The layout of the course does a great job utilizing the clearings to provide roomy fairways that still require good shot making from the tee. There are some long holes, but all are par 3's and birdies are often achievable. The elevation changes are another aspect that really enhance the course, but not a lot of long walks or exhausting climbs in between holes. Hole 20 tee is behind the lodge, and most players begin there. The variety of shots required and consistent quality is wonderful. Not super tight fairways, but still requiring technical proficient and accurate shots. The flow of course and the layout are very good. Holes 18 and 19 are awesome downhill bombs that are a great payoff to finish the course off. 18 is longer, straight down hill over 560', with tall trees lining both sides of the fairway. 19 is similar, but not as long, and with trees surrounding the pin and a stream directly behind it. I was 4 over par on the 15 holes I ended up playing, unable to covert on any of the few birdie putts that I attempted.
Cons: A few holes (1, 2, 4, and 5) were unplayable when I visited, due to construction on a ski lift, but still worth the trip for sure. Concrete tees would be nice but for safety reasons during ski season don't really make sense. A map could be very helpful if you aren't familiar with the course.
Other Thoughts: Sipapu Resort in Vadito, NM, has many of the features I enjoy most on a disc golf course. Definitely a couple of memorable holes, and the rest are very good as well. As I was starting out, Clay Walker and his dog Dio were just about to play a second round, so we joined up. Clay was a cool guy and helped me navigate my way around the course. Big thanks to him for guiding and recommending I play Picuris Pueblo DGC as well while in the area. Wish I could have played the full course but had a great time on the 15 holes that I played. If am get anywhere near there again, you can bet I will return.

All time FAVS!

1    6/22/2011   10/22/2012
Review By: HarrMarc
Pros: The only reasons I didn't give this course a perfect score is this...Use of the entire ski slope to make it longer and the fact that you walk a hell of alot.Which kind of counter balance each other I know.You'd need a four wheeler if it was so.What can I say its one of the top three courses I've ever played..A few epic shots make you wanna throw your whole bag at it.The most elevation on any course i've been on.Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful.

Family Fun on the Mountian

2-4    9/5/2011   9/6/2011
Review By: Crazy Fast Ford
Pros: Free to play! Very nice course setup. The stream that runs throught the first few holes is great. Playing from the pro tees 12, 18 and 19 is just awesome. There are three sets of tees.
Cons: It is sometimes hard to find the next tee. There are some pretty hard climbs and if you head off in a direction that isn't where the next tee is it is hard to figure out where you should have gone. This course was especially tuff for the kids (5 year old). We all got stug by Wasps on #3 but was probably just us, but be careful it is there home your playing.
Other Thoughts: Great course, the long drives are really awesome when you can find your disc. These are the ones you remimber for a long time. Lost discs tend to end up up the street at Two Gray Hares.

2-4    9/19/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: samuelson2484
Pros: This course has some EPIC holes! The fairways are tight, technical and long. This is hands down the most beautiful course I have ever played.
Cons: This course is a little bit confusing to navigate and it is very easy to lose site of your drive. It is also VERY physically demanding.
Other Thoughts: I hate to complain about a course being physically demanding, because too many disc golfers want their course to be a lazy walk in the park. I love and hate the extra challenge this course presents.

This is one you'll wanna take home with ya.

1    9/21/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: The only reasons I didn't give this course a perfect score is this...Use of the entire ski slope to make it longer and the fact that you walk a hell of alot.Which kind of counter balance each other I know.Being in such wondrous surroundings do that to ya.You'd need a four wheeler if it was so!Sweet!What can I say its one of the top three courses I've ever played outta 155 thats sayin somethin no matter which states it was ya know.This was my third ski slope course and far better then Aspen mountain and Bachelors Gulch in Vail.A few epic shots make you wanna throw your whole bag at it.I shot a 61 here so u know I really digged it! My buddy didn't make it outta there so easily.The most elevation on any course i've been on.Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful.
Cons: A whole hell of alotta walkin people, but in the end who cares u just played one of the best courses in America.I always wanna stretch courses out so even though you would be there for hours an hours with hurt feet I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: Pines swallow discs if you didnt know that take heed.The river will take your disc a half mile as well if you don't tear off after it.Eat well, come prepared,lighten your load if possible.

Legit Course / Beautiful Scenery

2-4    7/11/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: Kevinm
- Spectacular elevation changes. Refreshing after having played boring flat courses for awhile.
- Beautiful scenery. High altitude mountain vegetation makes for a nice green course in the Summer months yet not too hot either.
- A decent sized stream comes into play on a few of the lower elevation holes.
- Most holes have 3 different tee pads to accommodate all skill levels.
- Restaurant in the lodge is open year round (great food).
- Free to play!!
- Some of the tee signs were pretty worn and/or not well marked. Some had maps, showing obstacles and routes to the hole with distances etc, while others didn't.
- Due to the nature of the terrain, there aren't any really long open holes to rip a huge flex shot on. Most are pretty short and technical.
- Don't play this course after a night of partying / drinking. You need to be hydrated and ready to do some high altitude hiking. I learned this the hard way :)
- Speaking of altitude, it's over 8,000 feet there so bring more understable plastic if you're used to lower altitudes.
- I hope the NM State Championships are held here again soon since it's closer to me than Camp of the Tall Pines is.

This course is insane

1    7/23/2008   12/23/2009
Review By: six30two
Pros: I mean, like you're playing discgolf in the mountains with trees, views, etc... Even if you lose all of your discs, break your leg and catch lime disease, you will forever remember playing this beautiful course
Cons: I live in Dallas so my con is that I live too far away to play this course.
Other Thoughts: I played along with a local couple, Bill and Sue and their 80+ year old mother!! She and I were tied until the last hole. Very nice people and I hope to go back soon!

World class course deserves world class review

2-4    7/28/2009   8/2/2009
Review By: rj29274
This review was updated on 8/19/2009
Pros: Amazing New Mexico scenery of rivers, mountains, and tall pines
World class amenities- bathrooms, lodging, camping, restaurant, bar, free wi-fi, "pro shop"
Great use of elevation
Nice locations of signs to keep you on track, pretty easy to follow the first time.
Many different shots are required
Basket location - often on a ridge or surrounded by trouble
Multiple teepad locations for all skill levels
Good flow to the course, not a lot of excessive hiking
Great views
Great fairways with well placed guardian trees

Start on Hole 20, plays up and to the left
Hole 1 - Challenging dowhill hole across the ski runs, basket to the left of the tire swing - This hole can play tough from the long
Hole 2 - Very cool ace run shot over the creek in the meadow
Hole 4 - Uphill tight shot over water
Hole 5 - Super sick ROC shot slighly downhill to a highly guarded basket
Hole 8 - Cool downhill blind hole, nice row of trees that guard the basket
Hole 9 - Very cool shot into a bowl
Hole 12 - Great downhill hole with a narrow fairway
Hole 14 - Great Par 3 hole where you have a right dogleg into a narrow landing zone and around a 200 ft upshot. This shot requires placement over power!
Hole 18 - One of my favorites I have played. Downhill 568ft and is easy to blow by. Very narrow fairway, very nice duece
Hole 19 - Downhill into a cluster of trees with water in play behind the basket.

This course is worth the drive
Cons: Relative isolation
A better pro shop with sipapu stamped discs as souvenirs - kind of bummed they had nothing
More benches
A few trash cans
More length and challenge from pro tees

Other Thoughts: This course was so much fun that I played it three times in one day on my way to santa fe. I went to two gray hares after my second round at sipapu and left after two holes to go back to the resort. This course is so much fun and is not an extreme workout - however I live in high elevation.
Scores PAR 60
Round 1 59
Round 2 54 (2 on hole 18, very stoked about that)
Round 3 57
This course plays longer than is listed but with the exception of hole 14 every hole can and has been dueced. However, this is easier said than done. I only played the professional tees but the adv and rec teepads welcome all abilities and levels of competitiveness. I cant say enough about this course, it is by far the best mountain course I have played, the scenery is beautiful! You wont have to wait at this course very often due to its isolation but that is part of the charm. I found this course to be very lefty friendly ( I am a lefty ) and did not always demand a full power shot, I like this. Placement is important. I wish there were more holes like 14 that are borderline par 3/4 holes where it doesnt matter how big your arm is. The basket locations are great, sometimes on ridges, in valleys, next to water, so so cool. Blind holes, straight holes, uphill holes, lots of downhill holes. As always, bring what you take in and no butt flicking, keep it clean. Add to your favorites.

Just do it.

One more thing, there is a Carson National Forest campground called Comales where I camped the night before playing. It only costs 5 bucks and is on the Rio Pueblo. Campground is about 2 miles before Sipapu on the left side of the street. Nice place to camp.

IMO, the only thing keeping this from being a 5/5 rated course is a few "filler" holes, like hole 3

5+    12/3/2008   12/3/2008
Review By: Survivor
This review was updated on 12/4/2008
Pros: Beautiful scenery with huge trees and a stream.
Fairways are up, down, and across ski runs.
Nice mix of holes with monstrous elevation changes.
Inexpensive lodging/camping available on site
Picnic area restrooms and store with friendly staff near hole one.
Cons: Remoteness of course
Other Thoughts: Tremendously fun course. Come prepared for quick weather changes. The hike is strenuous --- bring water.

2-4    7/6/2006   9/6/2008
Review By: discinator
Pros: Awesome course. Very scenic with huge elevation changes. The holes are in and around, up and down the ski runs. Very fun.
Cons: You need to be in decent shape because you are in for some serious walking up and down the runs.
Other Thoughts: This course is really a pleasure to play. Lots of hilly shots, some water, loads of trees.