Vadito, NM
Sipapu Ski & Summer Resort Share
Uploaded By: RocCityDiscer Hole #8 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #8 Fairway to Tee

That's a good one!!

2-4    7/17/2009   12/27/2010
Review By: paulrothley@msn.com
This review was updated on 8/26/2013
Pros: Pro shop, many hills, many shots incorporated, friendly people runnung the shop, and friendly locals. Drop dead scenery.
Very fun course.
Cons: Not many. The tee pads are goofy when wet.
There were a few holes that I think could have been laid out better, this coming from a course designer that is kinda pickey.
Other Thoughts: Well worth the trip. Pay to play, notice this is NOT a con.

2-4    9/19/2010   12/27/2010
Review By: samuelson2484
Pros: This course has some EPIC holes! The fairways are tight, technical and long. This is hands down the most beautiful course I have ever played.
Cons: This course is a little bit confusing to navigate and it is very easy to lose site of your drive. It is also VERY physically demanding.
Other Thoughts: I hate to complain about a course being physically demanding, because too many disc golfers want their course to be a lazy walk in the park. I love and hate the extra challenge this course presents.

This is one you'll wanna take home with ya.

1    9/21/2010   10/1/2010
Review By: JeffThroW
This review was updated on 6/24/2013
Pros: The only reasons I didn't give this course a perfect score is this...Use of the entire ski slope to make it longer and the fact that you walk a hell of alot.Which kind of counter balance each other I know.Being in such wondrous surroundings do that to ya.You'd need a four wheeler if it was so!Sweet!What can I say its one of the top three courses I've ever played outta 155 thats sayin somethin no matter which states it was ya know.This was my third ski slope course and far better then Aspen mountain and Bachelors Gulch in Vail.A few epic shots make you wanna throw your whole bag at it.I shot a 61 here so u know I really digged it! My buddy didn't make it outta there so easily.The most elevation on any course i've been on.Beautiful,Beautiful,Beautiful.
Cons: A whole hell of alotta walkin people, but in the end who cares u just played one of the best courses in America.I always wanna stretch courses out so even though you would be there for hours an hours with hurt feet I wouldn't have minded if it was a bit longer.
Other Thoughts: Pines swallow discs if you didnt know that take heed.The river will take your disc a half mile as well if you don't tear off after it.Eat well, come prepared,lighten your load if possible.

Legit Course / Beautiful Scenery

2-4    7/11/2010   8/7/2010
Review By: Kevinm
Pros:
- Spectacular elevation changes. Refreshing after having played boring flat courses for awhile.
- Beautiful scenery. High altitude mountain vegetation makes for a nice green course in the Summer months yet not too hot either.
- A decent sized stream comes into play on a few of the lower elevation holes.
- Most holes have 3 different tee pads to accommodate all skill levels.
- Restaurant in the lodge is open year round (great food).
- Free to play!!
Cons:
- Some of the tee signs were pretty worn and/or not well marked. Some had maps, showing obstacles and routes to the hole with distances etc, while others didn't.
- Due to the nature of the terrain, there aren't any really long open holes to rip a huge flex shot on. Most are pretty short and technical.
- Don't play this course after a night of partying / drinking. You need to be hydrated and ready to do some high altitude hiking. I learned this the hard way :)
- Speaking of altitude, it's over 8,000 feet there so bring more understable plastic if you're used to lower altitudes.
- I hope the NM State Championships are held here again soon since it's closer to me than Camp of the Tall Pines is.

a sweet free mountain resort course!

1    6/11/2010   7/11/2010
Review By: ryan ranes
Pros: awsome course its free to play theres a creek that runs throughtout the first few holes and hole 19 and it is a good workout so bring water hole 19 is proably the funnest part of the course and theres are 3 diffrent teepads for diffrent skill levels
Cons: i got lost after shooting 6 i couldnt find the next teepad and course maps and scorecards are 2$ ????
Other Thoughts: there is a disc golf shops at the lodge and they havea very good variety
play picruis pueblo and two gray hares when your up here

Play this course, you will be glad you did

5+    8/25/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: mfcastillo17
This review was updated on 9/6/2011
Pros: I feel fortunate that I used to live within an hours drive of this course. It was actually the first real course I ever played. Since then all other courses I have played have a lot to live up to. Beautiful, challenging, secluded (which can also be a con). Never crowded. FREE to play! Three sets of rubber tees so every level can enjoy. Very technical, don't need a big arm to score well here. 18 and 19 are the two best finishing holes i've ever played.
Cons: I can't play here everyday since I moved to Texas.
Other Thoughts: If you love disc golf, make it a point to play this course someday. You won't regret it.

This course is insane

1    7/23/2008   12/23/2009
Review By: six30two
Pros: I mean, like you're playing discgolf in the mountains with trees, views, etc... Even if you lose all of your discs, break your leg and catch lime disease, you will forever remember playing this beautiful course
Cons: I live in Dallas so my con is that I live too far away to play this course.
Other Thoughts: I played along with a local couple, Bill and Sue and their 80+ year old mother!! She and I were tied until the last hole. Very nice people and I hope to go back soon!

World class course deserves world class review

2-4    7/28/2009   8/2/2009
Review By: rj29274
This review was updated on 8/19/2009
Pros: Amazing New Mexico scenery of rivers, mountains, and tall pines
World class amenities- bathrooms, lodging, camping, restaurant, bar, free wi-fi, "pro shop"
Great use of elevation
Nice locations of signs to keep you on track, pretty easy to follow the first time.
Many different shots are required
Basket location - often on a ridge or surrounded by trouble
Multiple teepad locations for all skill levels
Good flow to the course, not a lot of excessive hiking
Great views
Great fairways with well placed guardian trees
Specifics-

Start on Hole 20, plays up and to the left
Hole 1 - Challenging dowhill hole across the ski runs, basket to the left of the tire swing - This hole can play tough from the long
Hole 2 - Very cool ace run shot over the creek in the meadow
Hole 4 - Uphill tight shot over water
Hole 5 - Super sick ROC shot slighly downhill to a highly guarded basket
Hole 8 - Cool downhill blind hole, nice row of trees that guard the basket
Hole 9 - Very cool shot into a bowl
Hole 12 - Great downhill hole with a narrow fairway
Hole 14 - Great Par 3 hole where you have a right dogleg into a narrow landing zone and around a 200 ft upshot. This shot requires placement over power!
Hole 18 - One of my favorites I have played. Downhill 568ft and is easy to blow by. Very narrow fairway, very nice duece
Hole 19 - Downhill into a cluster of trees with water in play behind the basket.

This course is worth the drive
Cons: Relative isolation
A better pro shop with sipapu stamped discs as souvenirs - kind of bummed they had nothing
More benches
A few trash cans
More length and challenge from pro tees

NOT MUCH TO CRITICIZE
Other Thoughts: This course was so much fun that I played it three times in one day on my way to santa fe. I went to two gray hares after my second round at sipapu and left after two holes to go back to the resort. This course is so much fun and is not an extreme workout - however I live in high elevation.
Scores PAR 60
Round 1 59
Round 2 54 (2 on hole 18, very stoked about that)
Round 3 57
This course plays longer than is listed but with the exception of hole 14 every hole can and has been dueced. However, this is easier said than done. I only played the professional tees but the adv and rec teepads welcome all abilities and levels of competitiveness. I cant say enough about this course, it is by far the best mountain course I have played, the scenery is beautiful! You wont have to wait at this course very often due to its isolation but that is part of the charm. I found this course to be very lefty friendly ( I am a lefty ) and did not always demand a full power shot, I like this. Placement is important. I wish there were more holes like 14 that are borderline par 3/4 holes where it doesnt matter how big your arm is. The basket locations are great, sometimes on ridges, in valleys, next to water, so so cool. Blind holes, straight holes, uphill holes, lots of downhill holes. As always, bring what you take in and no butt flicking, keep it clean. Add to your favorites.

Just do it.

One more thing, there is a Carson National Forest campground called Comales where I camped the night before playing. It only costs 5 bucks and is on the Rio Pueblo. Campground is about 2 miles before Sipapu on the left side of the street. Nice place to camp.

IMO, the only thing keeping this from being a 5/5 rated course is a few "filler" holes, like hole 3

IT IS FREE TO PLAY!!!!!!!

World Class Course

1    5/30/2009   7/13/2009
Review By: RocCityDiscer
Pros: Unbelievable scenery. Set in the mountains of New Mexico. Very easy to find your way with good signage and clearly defined fairways. Most holes are down, up or across the ski runs.

Very challenging. Water in play on a few holes and lots of elevation change. Fun to throw down the hill for some huge shots. Play across creek on hole 2 from elevated tee, and #4 to an elevated basket down a tunnel of trees.

Set of three tee pads for every hole level the playing field for beginners. Scorecard/ Map available for $3 from resort store along with discs and souvenirs.
Cons: Thick and tall douglas firs border the ski runs and will grab your disc. Sometimes very high up. My group lost two discs when we played.

Course is kind of in the middle of nowhere, so it takes a little while to get to but is well worth the drive.

Other than that this course is sick !!!!!
Other Thoughts: This is the best course I have ever played, both because of its shear beauty and hole design/flow.
Enjoyed it immensely. If you are a hardcore discer like myself and anywhere near here you have to go.

Ski Slope Course

5+    9/29/2008   6/30/2009
Review By: RevDrDisc
Pros: Nice mountain setting on a ski slope. A river runs through it. Air is usually cool and fresh. Course is well laid out and trail is easy to follow
Cons: lots of elevation changes. The trees around the river seem to grab disc out of the air. Sometimes they can get stuck very high.
Other Thoughts: Resort manager is good about returning disk and fun to play with.