Las Vegas, NV

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
A lot of room but busy

1    3/5/2014   6/5/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Signs are good and the hangers are great.

There's a lot of space for being in the middle of the city.

The homeless guys can actually be helpful as spotters.
Cons: Busy. A couple holes we skipped because people were having picnics right in the fairway.

Having to shoot the gap between the basketball courts and baseball diamond was weird and felt unnecessary. There are a enough holes without that section.

For having no elevation changes the distance here will wipe you out.

You're right next to the airport so the plane noise is almost constant.
Other Thoughts: You're in the desert, dummy. BRING WATER! Hit the 7-11 on the corner on your way in and load up.

I would say the lack of elevation is monotonous, but that's the terrain you've got so I can't really call that a negative. They could maybe get creative with raised baskets or something but what do you want, it's a city park.

Meh with a dose of meh

1    5/23/2014   5/26/2014
Review By: IsThisThingOn
Pros: -FANTASTIC signage. Really good design.
-Well maintained
-Hole 5 or 6 (dogleft to some palm trees) is super cool.
Cons: -almost no shot variety
-stupidly long holes
-no elevation change
-signage does not match any map I could find online.
Other Thoughts: If you really enjoy bombing your drives as far as you can in a straight line OVER AND OVER AGAIN WITHOUT A BREAK then this is the course for you. Good luck hitting bird unless you're driving pro distances (especially on the back side).

Seriously, by the time I got to the #20+ holes, I was over it. Great place to throw out your arm trying to par a hole.

I'm in Vegas a few times a year, not on my list to play again. Not unless I get a bionic arm.

Would have given it 1 star, but the signage was SO good I gave it one more fir giving me a place to hang my bag.

Sunset Park - Vegas fun

1    1/18/2014   1/21/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: Great 24 hole layout. Technical shots, both short and long. You can jump on the course at many locations, just depends where you park. Large park setting with numerous bathrooms for a long day of playing.
Cons: Lots of people. While we were there, starting at hole #1, there was a cricket match being played. A few times we had to watch for stray cricket balls coming our way. Homeless people, but not the annoying kind. They were there to root you on and were quiet for the most part.
Other Thoughts: We only completed 16 holes as the Ice Bowl tournament was being held that day. Wish we could have played more, but the backup was getting kinda ridiculous. The addition of "tournament only" holes made it a little odd for finding where the normal course played. When we go back again, I will make sure that we play this course full and complete.

Long day of torture in the wind

1    10/28/2013   11/4/2013
Review By: tdkrizenshine
Pros: Long (holes and course), incredible signage and bag hangers. No crowd whatsoever on a Monday morning (during a wind storm).
Cons: Very wide open with bombs and turnovers the call for the day, not much shaping here! Homeless folks abound- not to be prejudice, just not a positive when compared to the gorgeous courses nearby. No elevation and not much variety.
Other Thoughts: I played here on a "High Wind Advisory " day- 30mph+!! This makes giving an accurate "typical condition" review impossible but I will say that I hear the area is prone to blustery conditions . I played with a fellow stray out-of-towner and we had an absolute blast with only one other player on the course during our 3-1/2 hour, 24 hole torture test! If I were a local this place would get heavy rotation for it's distance improving length.

New Signage

2-4    4/6/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: jtrod
Pros: New signs - These new signs give aerial views of the fairways and basket options. The sign pole also have added bag hangers to keep your bag off the ground.

Nice cement pads
Cons: Not a lot of obstacles
Not a lot of places to get drinking water on course
Not a lot of trash cans on course
Other Thoughts: Decent course, close to strip for an out of town traveler. The course if pretty wide open with many of the holes awaiting turn-over shots.

Out of Order (&FLAT!)

1    1/11/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: Overall Score; 2.1

Tee pads (4/5): Smooth, level concrete. Difficult to spot tees from baskets and difficult to understand which tee goes to which basket. One tee was completely missing. A local informed me that it was removed, so they play from a line of sticks in its place.

Baskets (2.5/5); Standard Mach 2's. Confusing when matching to tee pads. Some numbers missing from baskets. Some basket #'s were faced away from the tee pad, so I had to walk all the way up to them to find out if I was playing the right one.

Layout/Design (1/5); WAY TOO FLAT. Absolutely no elevation, although I assume it is a norm around here. A few holes made good use of trees... a very select few. Otherwise, I hated the hole that forced me to throw right along a VERY busy street. I also didn't enjoy the holes that throw alongside basketball/tennis courts and baseball fences. A fence is just a crappy disc obstacle in my opinion. The layout was very boring. Normal park-goers came into play too often. Children, homeless people, and couples leisurely spent their time on the course. The homeless guy was cool though. I guess he plays disc golf, and he's actually pretty good.
Don't even get me started on how CONFUSING the layout was. The layout made no sense to me when I tried matching numbers on tee signs to numbers on baskets. In all fairness, the locals informed me that the layout was under redesign, and that they understood the new layout. They added that anyone who had never played the course would be extremely confused with the numbers on tee signs and baskets. Some holes play a little too close to each other.

Scenery/Surroundings (2/5); Pretty bland piece of land. Nothing too spectacular to see here. The mountain view in the distance is nice, but you can see that from anywhere. The air seemed to be extremely dry... I needed a lot of water, and I wasn't doing much. Maybe it was just me, but I feel that I experienced the dry Nevada air fully.
The area seemed very safe with a lot of kids playing sports and adults playing tennis. There's nothing dangerous that I can think of. No high grass.

Likeliness to Return (1/5); If not for the locals, I would've hated this course. There isn't a huge selection in the Vegas area, but I will surely choose a different course next time I visit. If I lived in the area, I wouldn't recommend this course for anything other than a very VERY leisurely round of disc golf. It wasn't worth the $20 cab ride from my hotel on the strip at all.
Other Thoughts: I didn't know Nevada was a legal marijuana state, but I found out on the disc golf course!
As I mentioned, the cab ride was $20 from Planet Hollywood (not including tip).
The locals were extremely nice. They allowed me to play with them to understand the course. They also gave me tips about the surrounding area (Las Vegas) and other "tourist" help! Thanks guys.

Halloween Classic

5+    10/28/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: TheGrim
Pros: Keep in mind when reading this review that I am only reviewing it based on tournament layout. There are plenty of other reviews for the general use, so I thought I would give a bit different perspective on the park.

The park layout for the tournament was very well thought out and flowed well. They did a great job of compensating for the missing holes (4-7 normally) and provided a great map that showed exactly where to shoot for each hole. Without the map I can see where it would be a bit confusing though.

Flat and mostly well maintained tee pads with good markers to define where the baskets are.

The layout makes great use of the trees and other obstacles. The holes are a challenge for most all skill levels, particularly the back 9.

Wide open fields allow for you to practice and warm up very well without any risk of interfering with the course. On a typical day though they will probably be in use by park goers.

Friendly people all around.
Cons: Even with a huge tournament going on we still had problems with people just wandering out in the middle of the fairway without any thought or consideration for golfers. More than 5 times we had to get their attention as they would lazily walk through or even stop and sit right where you are about to throw.

Several of the shots are very close to baseball diamonds, basketball courts, parking lots and busy roads, which could really cause a problem if they are in use.

There isn't any elevation changes to speak of. One or two tiny downhill shots on the back 9 is all.
Other Thoughts: I went down for the Halloween Classic and let me tell you, it is one of the best tournaments you could ask for. It was very well organized with tons of great people.

The park overall is a lot of fun. When the construction is completed and they restore the full course I'm sure it will be awesome.

We took the opportunity to play several other courses in Vegas and I think that this was the best overall course around.

Navigation like learning craps...it takes awhile but eventually makes sense

5+    8/27/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 3/24/2013
Pros: This is easily the most convenient course in Vegas, just blocks from the airport and in the shadow of landing planes. The tees are concrete, the grass is fairly healthy, and there are even a bunch of trees here.

The course makes good use of the obstacles it has to work with: light poles, fences, baseball fields, tennis courts. There are a number of holes that force a turnover shot if you want to have a shot at birdie, and the course doesn't seem to favor righties or lefties.

I like holes 18-24 (across the driveway entrace). They are a bit more wooded and require more accuracy. And the tiny, tiny bit of elevation the course has is found here. Look carefully and you might see it!

I have been surprised at how un-busy this place is.
Cons: Tee signs are subpar. Navigation isn't bad, but without the map you'll have a tough time. Holes 5-7 loop back on themselves, and the basket straight ahead of hole 5 is actually for hole 7. Then you have a bit of a walk over to the 8th tee.

The design is just okay. I like that the course forces certain shots on different holes, but nearly every hole felt like a pretty easy 3 but an unrealistic 2. I can throw about 275 feet, and it always felt like I ended up 75-150 feet away from the hole off the tee. So for someone of my skill set, a great drive and a mediocre drive will both usually result in a par. There isn't a lot of risk/reward on the course.

People seem to sit in several of the fairways to watch the baseball games.
Other Thoughts: Update: As of late March 2013, there are new signs for all 24 holes, so navigation is much better. There is still a stray basket between holes 3 and 4 (#4 is the old #8), but you can ignore it.

If you come to Vegas and need a break from the gambling, this is probably your best bet (hah! Get it?). It's close to the Strip, and you could probably even take a cab here.

There is some shade here, but if you're playing in the summer, bring some water, a hat, and a lot of sunscreen. The heat isn't as bad as you think, but the direct sunlight can take a lot out of you.

Beginner's Review

1    7/18/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
This review was updated on 7/23/2012
Pros: Good size tee boxes. Nice layout. Well-maintained park. Mature trees for some shade. Friendly locals.
Cons: Holes 4-7 do not exist. Hole 1 tee, as marked on map is now No. 2 (July 18, 2012). You'll need someone to direct you to first tee if you've never played before. After playing hole 3, move directly to No. 8. The course map is useless for holes 1 and 4-7.
Other Thoughts: OB on some holes put traffic, parked cars and basketball players in peril from beginners like me. OB can make play more challenging, but can also make for some nervous play from a beginner.

1    5/29/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: Mincus14
Pros: Nice layout and well signed. 24 holes. Not overly busy.
Cons: Spent a while looking for holes 4-7 until I realized they are not there. The course is mostly wide open with not too many trees.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Nice that it has 24 holes. I haven't played any other courses in the Las Vegas area so I don't know how it compares to the other ones.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5