Las Vegas, NV
Uploaded By: JohnRicker Hole #24

Out of Order (&FLAT!)

1    1/11/2013   1/11/2013
Review By: Iowa420DG
Pros: Overall Score; 2.1

Tee pads (4/5): Smooth, level concrete. Difficult to spot tees from baskets and difficult to understand which tee goes to which basket. One tee was completely missing. A local informed me that it was removed, so they play from a line of sticks in its place.

Baskets (2.5/5); Standard Mach 2's. Confusing when matching to tee pads. Some numbers missing from baskets. Some basket #'s were faced away from the tee pad, so I had to walk all the way up to them to find out if I was playing the right one.

Layout/Design (1/5); WAY TOO FLAT. Absolutely no elevation, although I assume it is a norm around here. A few holes made good use of trees... a very select few. Otherwise, I hated the hole that forced me to throw right along a VERY busy street. I also didn't enjoy the holes that throw alongside basketball/tennis courts and baseball fences. A fence is just a crappy disc obstacle in my opinion. The layout was very boring. Normal park-goers came into play too often. Children, homeless people, and couples leisurely spent their time on the course. The homeless guy was cool though. I guess he plays disc golf, and he's actually pretty good.
Don't even get me started on how CONFUSING the layout was. The layout made no sense to me when I tried matching numbers on tee signs to numbers on baskets. In all fairness, the locals informed me that the layout was under redesign, and that they understood the new layout. They added that anyone who had never played the course would be extremely confused with the numbers on tee signs and baskets. Some holes play a little too close to each other.

Scenery/Surroundings (2/5); Pretty bland piece of land. Nothing too spectacular to see here. The mountain view in the distance is nice, but you can see that from anywhere. The air seemed to be extremely dry... I needed a lot of water, and I wasn't doing much. Maybe it was just me, but I feel that I experienced the dry Nevada air fully.
The area seemed very safe with a lot of kids playing sports and adults playing tennis. There's nothing dangerous that I can think of. No high grass.

Likeliness to Return (1/5); If not for the locals, I would've hated this course. There isn't a huge selection in the Vegas area, but I will surely choose a different course next time I visit. If I lived in the area, I wouldn't recommend this course for anything other than a very VERY leisurely round of disc golf. It wasn't worth the $20 cab ride from my hotel on the strip at all.
Other Thoughts: I didn't know Nevada was a legal marijuana state, but I found out on the disc golf course!
As I mentioned, the cab ride was $20 from Planet Hollywood (not including tip).
The locals were extremely nice. They allowed me to play with them to understand the course. They also gave me tips about the surrounding area (Las Vegas) and other "tourist" help! Thanks guys.

Halloween Classic

5+    10/28/2012   10/29/2012
Review By: TheGrim
Pros: Keep in mind when reading this review that I am only reviewing it based on tournament layout. There are plenty of other reviews for the general use, so I thought I would give a bit different perspective on the park.

The park layout for the tournament was very well thought out and flowed well. They did a great job of compensating for the missing holes (4-7 normally) and provided a great map that showed exactly where to shoot for each hole. Without the map I can see where it would be a bit confusing though.

Flat and mostly well maintained tee pads with good markers to define where the baskets are.

The layout makes great use of the trees and other obstacles. The holes are a challenge for most all skill levels, particularly the back 9.

Wide open fields allow for you to practice and warm up very well without any risk of interfering with the course. On a typical day though they will probably be in use by park goers.

Friendly people all around.
Cons: Even with a huge tournament going on we still had problems with people just wandering out in the middle of the fairway without any thought or consideration for golfers. More than 5 times we had to get their attention as they would lazily walk through or even stop and sit right where you are about to throw.

Several of the shots are very close to baseball diamonds, basketball courts, parking lots and busy roads, which could really cause a problem if they are in use.

There isn't any elevation changes to speak of. One or two tiny downhill shots on the back 9 is all.
Other Thoughts: I went down for the Halloween Classic and let me tell you, it is one of the best tournaments you could ask for. It was very well organized with tons of great people.

The park overall is a lot of fun. When the construction is completed and they restore the full course I'm sure it will be awesome.

We took the opportunity to play several other courses in Vegas and I think that this was the best overall course around.

Navigation like learning craps...it takes awhile but eventually makes sense

5+    8/27/2012   8/29/2012
Review By: Hector Chain
This review was updated on 3/24/2013
Pros: This is easily the most convenient course in Vegas, just blocks from the airport and in the shadow of landing planes. The tees are concrete, the grass is fairly healthy, and there are even a bunch of trees here.

The course makes good use of the obstacles it has to work with: light poles, fences, baseball fields, tennis courts. There are a number of holes that force a turnover shot if you want to have a shot at birdie, and the course doesn't seem to favor righties or lefties.

I like holes 18-24 (across the driveway entrace). They are a bit more wooded and require more accuracy. And the tiny, tiny bit of elevation the course has is found here. Look carefully and you might see it!

I have been surprised at how un-busy this place is.
Cons: Tee signs are subpar. Navigation isn't bad, but without the map you'll have a tough time. Holes 5-7 loop back on themselves, and the basket straight ahead of hole 5 is actually for hole 7. Then you have a bit of a walk over to the 8th tee.

The design is just okay. I like that the course forces certain shots on different holes, but nearly every hole felt like a pretty easy 3 but an unrealistic 2. I can throw about 275 feet, and it always felt like I ended up 75-150 feet away from the hole off the tee. So for someone of my skill set, a great drive and a mediocre drive will both usually result in a par. There isn't a lot of risk/reward on the course.

People seem to sit in several of the fairways to watch the baseball games.
Other Thoughts: Update: As of late March 2013, there are new signs for all 24 holes, so navigation is much better. There is still a stray basket between holes 3 and 4 (#4 is the old #8), but you can ignore it.

If you come to Vegas and need a break from the gambling, this is probably your best bet (hah! Get it?). It's close to the Strip, and you could probably even take a cab here.

There is some shade here, but if you're playing in the summer, bring some water, a hat, and a lot of sunscreen. The heat isn't as bad as you think, but the direct sunlight can take a lot out of you.

Beginner's Review

1    7/18/2012   7/18/2012
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
This review was updated on 7/23/2012
Pros: Good size tee boxes. Nice layout. Well-maintained park. Mature trees for some shade. Friendly locals.
Cons: Holes 4-7 do not exist. Hole 1 tee, as marked on map is now No. 2 (July 18, 2012). You'll need someone to direct you to first tee if you've never played before. After playing hole 3, move directly to No. 8. The course map is useless for holes 1 and 4-7.
Other Thoughts: OB on some holes put traffic, parked cars and basketball players in peril from beginners like me. OB can make play more challenging, but can also make for some nervous play from a beginner.

1    5/29/2012   6/26/2012
Review By: Mincus14
Pros: Nice layout and well signed. 24 holes. Not overly busy.
Cons: Spent a while looking for holes 4-7 until I realized they are not there. The course is mostly wide open with not too many trees.
Other Thoughts: Fun course. Nice that it has 24 holes. I haven't played any other courses in the Las Vegas area so I don't know how it compares to the other ones.

Vegas Disc Golf

1    6/19/2012   6/19/2012
Review By: strain
Pros: This is a very well designed course with a good variety of long, short, left, right and open shots to keep it challenging, depending in which pin position the baskets are in. Most holes have three different pin positions and have plenty of OB making the course tough. The course has nice sized concrete tee pads to get a good run up and some decent signs with all the hole information and also direct you to the next tee. The course is very clean and well maintained with plenty of trashcans and restrooms for your convenience and parking should not be an issue here.
Cons: The layout can be a little tricky if you are a first timer playing this course because of some of the new changes made. The local Disc Golf Club have done some re-designing on some holes on this course. I met a local at the course who let me get in on a round and guided me through the course and showed me some of the changes on the layout. There is some construction going on causing a few holes to be unplayable on the course. Once the construction is complete the word is the club is going to do a total re-design and make this course a nice 18 hole layout. There is not many trees on the course so it can get really hot so water and sunscreen is a must if your playing during the day.
Other Thoughts: This is a must play course if you are visiting Vegas. The locals are really friendly here and will guide you around if you need any help. The airport is basically right across the street of the course so you will be playing disc golf in no time.

Has potential

1    2/14/2012   2/17/2012
Review By: stu.vars
Pros: Close to airport. Many trash cans. Well maintained fairways. Reflectors on baskets for night play.
Cons: Construction/outdated map left me spending 45min looking for hole one. SPRINKLERS, fellas, they come on at 11:00pm and they soak that course!!
Other Thoughts: Joe_Maumy left a review 09/06/11 "Construction Zone".. well the course is STILL under construction and the course map has STILL not been updated... the locals fail on this one - BIG TIME!
***I would suggest not playing here until it is all finished, or an updated map is provided... it will be a nice course.

hope u don't like shade

1    1/2/2012   1/5/2012
Review By: turtle
Pros: there's quite a bit of OB which makes for more technical gameplay. Good use of available space, since there's lots of other recreational stuff going on. Lots of variation of hole lengths and types.
Cons: Not much for shade at all. Several holes are right along side the 'busy' road. A person in my group actually came within inches of blowing out someone's window in an area that could've caused a huge pile up. (no bueno) Figuring out where to start was tricky, the map shows huge sections of OB in the center of the course...but when u get there it looks like one really big field with 'slight' tree coverage. So had it not been for the locals I probably would've looked like a lost dog out there. Several fairways border another tee, making for tedious game play if it's crouded on the field.
Other Thoughts: The bums were friendly, and made for good conversation. lol

Construction Continues

1    11/10/2011   11/12/2011
Review By: Jeffrey2636
Pros: -Decent park not far from LV Strip
-Baskets were in decent shape
-Concrete Teepads (except for hole changes)
-Signage available for each hole
Cons: -Construction in the park has forced hole relocation
- Flat terrain with few obstacles
-Mandatory flight paths on holes due to crossing fairways
-Slight sketchy park
Other Thoughts: Out of towner visiting LV and chose this park due to it being very close to downtown strip. In fact, if you plan your trips the way I do, You could come out of the airport and land at Sunset park in Less than 3 minutes.
I use the GPS Longitude and Latitude markings for directions which dumps you at Hole #12 instead of the other parking lot at Hole#1.
The Contruction interrupted the flow abit and Hole#1 has been reconstructed. Luckily a local pointed us to the hole.
The Mandatory Flight paths on a number of holes are understood due to the course layout but I see this as a con being flying discs arry can happen often.
We got turned arounda few times so it would help if there were better directions available.
If I return to the area, I would probably try another park. The course itself was a bit uninteresting.

Okay - but in the lower 50%

1    10/27/2011   10/28/2011
Review By: cmartin
Pros: The 14 holes available on the front are all pretty straight forward and open with some OB - mostly other park amenities (Tennis courts, baseball fields) or parking lots. While there are trees on the front, very few really come into play.
The final 6 holes made the course worth playing. They are a bit longer than the front and have a lot more trees that force you to decide how to play the hole.
Cons: Currently (10/27/11) holes 4-7 are not available due to construction at the park. Holes 1-3 have been moved/modified making it a little tough to play without guidance (which the local players seemed happy to provide).
Not a lot of elevation change - but what little natural elevation changes are available were incorporated into the course (again all on the last 6 holes).
Other Thoughts: Overall I thought this was a nice course and it is reasonably easy. Of the courses I've played, I would have to rate it in the lower half. Not being a local, it's unlikely I will play the course again; however, if I decide to come back, I will probably just play the final 6 holes.