Brandon, MS

Good course

5+    10/1/2005   7/15/2009
Review By: dwellman
This review was updated on 10/18/2010
Pros: Good length variety
Good overall length
Good shot variety
I had the course (and sometimes the entire park) to myself more than a few times.
Other Thoughts: Navigating the course for the first time (hole 1 to hole 2 and hole 11 to hole 12) can be tricky even after looking at the course map-- well, for me anyway. Luckly I was rescued by locals (before I became one myself) gearing up to play a quick round of doubles in the mid-day my very first visit.

I still think it's really in Flowood, not Brandon.

Some of you MS people are a bit uppity. Got no reason to be. Settle down.

A fun round at the Rez

1    5/15/2009   5/15/2009
Review By: NDABRUSH
This review was updated on 2/13/2014
Pros: A good shot selection. Holes going from the open into the woods and starting in the woods and finishing in the open. Wooded tunnel shots short and long. Most open shots are pretty long
with plenty of O.B. and sprinkled trees to force
you to make a decision. Some interesting
basket locations between trees and 1(hole 17)
placed RIGHT NEXT TO THE WATER. has a
nice and pretty long (about 315) across the
water shot which if you can clear throwing
directly at the pin will leave a pretty easy birdie
shot. If you can't throw 320 accurately then you
can throw it across some of the water and
hyzer onto the bank for a lay up shot for a 3.
Very, very well maintained. While playing hole
17 I noticed a park worker actually WEED
EATING AT THE BANK OF HOLE 18!!! (the
water hole). I had never played at a state or city
park course where the workers actually care
about the course as much as the locals! The
rough isn't very rough. In fact the only reason I
would wear jeans is because of the poison ivy.
Cons: Poison ivy. Which as far as I know has yet to actually attack anyone so just look out for the green vines arranged with sets of 3 leaves always 3. There is another plant/vine that has
sets of 5 but looks similar. You have to back
track to the next tee a lot. After hole 13 turn
around and walk back for 14's tee which starts
in the open and ends in the woods. Holes 13-18
start to the left of the message board. Not really
a con if you already know about it. There were
a couple of groups of fast playing 1 disc
college students but they were friendly and I
told them to play through.
Other Thoughts: The shot variety of this course along with some pretty interesting pin placements is what stood out for me. This is not as fun as Moccasin Bend, but both courses are challenging too play.

Great place to play

5+    5/2/2009   5/3/2009
Review By: magictenor1
Pros: Nice mix of holes with heavily wooded, more open and water in play on a few. also has some elevation changes but fairly gentle.Restroom on site and proshop with decent selection of discs. the last 2 holes are signature exceptinal holes. #17 shoots right at the water with the water only a few feet past the basket and 18 throws right over the water to finish. great water views on the course. all holes have signs and there are often paths to the next tee.There are also beches and trashcans at each tee.
Cons: The proshop is not right where the course is and requires a drive and directions to get there. The signs need some updating as there were pin positions in play that were not on the sign. 18 was unplayable due to sunbathers and kids playing right in the throwing zone.
Other Thoughts: The course has multiple pins (3 on most holes) but only one set of tees. Personally I prefer the pins to stay in one place and would like to see more options for tees. I would say it is not especially beginner friendly as it is fairly long and has a lot of heavily wooded holes.This course is worth the trip.

Amazing course

5+    4/17/2009   4/27/2009
Review By: AJOHNZ
Pros: There are a nice amount of trees but this course is not overgrown at all and is very well kept. There are actually fairways cut out of the woods on some holes.
Cons: Basically none
Other Thoughts: Has to be the best course in the state

Best in Mississippi

2-4    3/1/2009   3/3/2009
Review By: phear310
Pros: Multiple tee locations force you to use every aspect of your game. Expertly laid out and easy to go from hole to hole. Very clean, well kept.
Cons: On some days the wind coming off of the water can do some damage to certain shots.
Other Thoughts: Great course. Best in the state

5+    11/16/2008   12/2/2008
Review By: bazkitcase5
Pros: This is a beautiful course laid out in the scenic park near the large body of water known as the Reservoir. The baskets are in good condition and there are good concrete tee pads on every hole. The design is excellent with 3 positions per hole, ranging from tight, short wooded shots, to open bombs, to long wooded shots and nearly everything in between. When everything is in the long positions, there are several legit pro par 4s on this course, but it would be nice to see the tee signs reflect this fact.

There are 2 water holes on this course, but both have alternate paths where you can stay dry all the way to the basket. Hole 18 requires you to carry water to get the birdie, but there is dry land all the way down the left side. Being so close to the reservoir means this course is almost always windy, which can make an already tough course even tougher. There are bathrooms between holes 6 & 7, and up where hole 8's long pin ends and hole 10's tee begins. Overall, this is a great course if you like a challenge.
Cons: 1 hole is missing a tee sign and it just happens to be hole 5, that tees off from a large concrete block that was already in the ground before the course was installed and the fairway forces you to throw over a fence, that doesn't look like a fairway, but in actuality, makes for a very interesting shot and a tight gap. Although every other hole has a tee sign, some of them need to be updated to include the newest pin placements, with correct distances on every hole. Navigation can be a little tricky on several holes, but that can be expected when the difference between the short and long pins on the same hole can be 200-300 feet. This course can be very tough for newer players when in the long positions, but those players should the longer holes as legit par 4s and 5s as they were intended, which would likely lead to a much more enjoyable round.
Other Thoughts: This is one of my favorite courses and I would highly recommend playing this course if you are in the area. I most recently played this course at the MS State Championships, so I had the chance to play every pin placement over the course of the 3 round tournaments. It is possible the locals have done some prep work getting ready for this tournament, but I have played this course many times and I strongly disagree with Innovadude's review, regardless of how many courses he has played. It appears from his review that he played the course in the long positions and must have had a bad day or something, so I would like to address his points:

I'm sure there may be some there, but I have played this course many times and I am also allergic to poison ivy, so I must be lucky because I have never encountered poison ivy on this course. As seen in the course photos, most of the course is a mix of grass and pine needles.

I think the course is marked and flows well, considering that the alternate pin placements can have a difference of up to 300 feet, as already mentioned. Everything is fairly straight forward when in the short pin positions. Is there a little extra walking involved when playing the longs? Of course, but that is to be expected when your playing holes over 500 feet that were put in after the fact.

It is a shame that hole 5 with the things I listed above as a con is the one hole on the entire course missing a tee sign, but I guess nobody ever stops to consider that maybe it was vandalized or stolen? I highly doubt the local club would put tee signs at every hole except #5 just for the heck of it. I can only imagine that it will be replaced when the local club can afford it/get it done. Just be sure to look for hole 5 if your going to play the course for the first time.

Since when did it become a con for a course because some local does not know anything about disc golf? Is it sad that somebody was laying out beside a wide open basket near the water with their dog tied to it? Of course, but examples of people not knowing what disc golf is or what the baskets are used for are all over the country, especially on public courses in large public parks. It almost seems like by the time he got to hole 18, he was mad and looking for something else to complain about and mention as a con.

I haven't played 1000 courses, but I have played a lot of courses in a lot of areas and I think the design is excellent. Too punishing blind turns? Are you serious? After 3 rounds on this course playing every single pin placement in a tournament, there was not a single shot that could not be executed by more than one person in any of my groups. This is the comment that makes it sound like he just had a bad day and did not properly think through the course and give out a well thought out review. I was rather disappointed to see such a good course get a 2 star rating by a well respected player, accompanied by what would seem like a very poor review. I will gladly remove my comments whenever he decides to update his review.

5+    11/3/2008   11/6/2008
Review By: litespeed
Pros: Some of everthing on this course, long, short, open and tight. There are 3 possible pin placements on each hole. Really fun and challenging course.
Cons: Not always sure where the basket is until you either walk up to find out or drive first then look for it. There are usually people in the fairway of 18 that are unaware they are on a DG course.
Other Thoughts: I have only played 3 courses in my brief career but I feel that this is the type of course they should all be. It seems to reward both distance and accuracy.

LOVE IT

5+    11/2/2008   11/3/2008
Review By: JesusShoes
This review was updated on 8/7/2009
Pros: It has a great selection of "different" type holes. Some are long and curvy. Some are short and straight. It's a long course and the people are nice! It has 3 baskets sleeves for each hole which some people might find not find attractive but i love it. The course has plenty of benches places around the course to let your legs wind down from a hard day of walking. The course is kept clean by the helping of the JUDGES (our local club). We try and keep all fairways clean with no fallen sticks , etc. We are always around if you have any questions about the course. Ask around if any JUDGES are there and 9 time out of 10 you will find one of us.
Cons: Few ways to lose your disc, Some of the placements are extremely hard for Novice's but that can easily be fixed by letting them throw from a closer spot. Poison Ivy is a problem we have for sure. Early in the summer we have a bad problem with "skeeters" as we are so close to the water.
Other Thoughts: Noticed it says there is multiple tees. This is wrong. As of 2 weekends ago it has 3 pin positions for every hole. Same tee off position for every hole. IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA YOU MUST PLAY THIS COURSE! One of the best in the area. After you knock this one off your list you must head on over to Morton and play Roosevelt as well! Both 2 of the best in central MS

The Rez Review

2-4    2/2/2008   10/23/2008
Review By: cox3
Pros: Great balance... Wooded holes, open holes, long holes, short holes... Great scenery including water... Multiple pins...
Cons: Not really any...
Other Thoughts: One of my top 5 courses... Long pins are a great challenge... I've never had any encounters with poison ivy there...

had to give my 2 pennies since I do not AT all agree with other ratings

1    10/19/2008   10/20/2008
Review By: Innovadude
This review was updated on 12/2/2008
Pros: Scenic landscape, tough and long. A few water holes, like #18 where you can throw over 300' to clear water for the duece.
Cons: -POISON IVY, too much to avoid, you or your discs will have it within the first couple of holes, even if you land on the fairways.
- Not too well marked, I walked right by the 5th tee and did not even know it was a tee-pad!
-Several poorly designed or too punishing blind turns.
-Does not flow well.
-Ppl had a dog tied to the 18th pin and were laying in the sun by it, and would not move far enough away to be safe when I threw my drive.

Other Thoughts: Sorry but I have played 920+ courses and this just doesn't cut it by my (too high) standards. That and the fact I do not tolerate holes carpeted in poison ivy.

For those who keep saying they haven't encountered ivy here- I say go look for it. It covers the ground off the fairway on 1/3 of the holes, vines on some, and even inside some putting greens. Do you know what it looks like?? I sure do and it's everywhere, you CANNOT play this course and not come in contact with it at some point I guarantee it.